• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Loudninja

The effects in the beta are really good I love the way the smoke blinds you after you use a 40MM greande,and the way the bulleye lights up places.

Melchiah

Drewfonse said:
LOL at people who have accepted the standard 5-6 hour game campaign WITHOUT complaining.

I'd never ever pay full price for a half game. If you make a 5-6 hour game, I'll buy it from a bargain bin when it's below 20€.

Drewfonse

Loudninja said:
Its not a 5-6 campaign, is it so hard to you know read this page?

I've read every word. I've seen more than one person post sub 7. People who had no prior experience with the game. Still really looking forward to it.

Loudninja

Anyone getting the Official strategy guide?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0744013275/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I will not for the guide itself but the art.

The “Signature Series Guide” from Brady Games features a full campaign walkthrough for the first-person shooter. The detailed maps will also point out important item locations in multiplayer while highlighting the strategic areas for multiplayer. You will also get several tips and analysis for the competitive online portion. The rest of the 224-page book will be filled with character bios, concept arts, enemy bestiary, weapon data, timeline of events in the Resistance series and more. You can check out the cover of the strategy guide, as well as the latest screens from the first-person shooter, in the slideshow to the left of this article.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...cial-strategy-guide-detailed-for-resistance-3

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Loudninja said:
Haha yeah I messed that up :p
Lmao how ironic, Loud I understand where to are coming from to an EXTENT but in a crumbling economy where money is tight why not make a longer game that rewards early adopters by being meatier/lengthened. I feel that alot of times developers place less of an emphasis on single player simply to divert most of their time to the multiplayer component but if R3 is anything like Rfom there will ne goodies to be unlocked and other things to uncover by replaying the game but at the same time that's a stopgap measure because replaying a game with new items doesn't feel nearly the same as experiencing a new location with different enemies or having a more fleshed out story. I wish that more developers would begin development with the attitude of "ok we're going to have a 12-20 hour campaign, what can we do to keep this interesting without getting stale?"lol that would be great for the industry. I know lots of work goes into a game and im by no means belittling their efforts but a game should be 8 hours long at least...on easy!

Loudninja

Allonym said:
Lmao how ironic, Loud I understand where to are coming from to an EXTENT but in a crumbling economy where money is tight why not make a longer game that rewards early adopters by being meatier/lengthened. I feel that alot of times developers place less of an emphasis on single player simply to divert most of their time to the multiplayer component but if R3 is anything like Rfom there will ne goodies to be unlocked and other things to uncover by replaying the game but at the same time that's a stopgap measure because replaying a game with new items doesn't feel nearly the same as experiencing a new location with different enemies or having a more fleshed out story. I wish that more developers would begin development with the attitude of "ok we're going to have a 12-20 hour campaign, what can we do to keep this interesting without getting stale?"lol that would be great for the industry. I know lots of work goes into a game and im by no means belittling their efforts but a game should be 8 hours long at least...on easy!
I see what you are saying, but making a FPS almost 20 hours without getting stale is just not possible to me. IG at-least have these crazy weapons that make the gameplay fun and interesting.You have to have coherent story throughout the adventure as well.With that said long games are always welcome. :)

Loudninja said:
I see what you are saying, but making a FPS almost 20 hours without getting stale is just not possible to me. IG at-least have these crazy weapons that make the gameplay fun and interesting.With that said long games are always welcome. :)

is there any linear fps that last for 20 hours? most 15-20 hours game I've played are games with rpg element, open world game, or slower paced games with stealth element.

NBtoaster

Drewfonse said:
I've read every word. I've seen more than one person post sub 7. People who had no prior experience with the game. Still really looking forward to it.

Where has someone posted less than seven? We've had 8+ here and that not including deaths.

Loudninja

NBtoaster said:
Where has someone posted less than seven? We've had 8+ here and that not including deaths.
Last page ,a couple of people posted their times, but those 2 already said they play longer than 6 hours.

Callibretto said:
is there any linear fps that last for 20 hours? most 15-20 hours game I've played are games with rpg element, open world game, or slower paced games with stealth element.
Not that I know of,I should clarified that am talking about linear FPS not open world FPS games.

Loudninja said:
Not that I know of,I should clarified that am talking about linear FPS not open world FPS games.

I'm actually agreeing with you, allonym make a comment about how he wish developer begin development with 15-20 hour length in mind, but Resistance is a straight up linear fps, and I don't know any other fps of this particular style to last that long. Resistance 1 is actually longer than average linear fps on the market, and weapon wheel and skill point give nice incentive for replay.

Thrakier

Deaths are not inclueded in this time so it probably is about 8 hours which is totally fine. That said, I'm not buying games at RRP anyway anymore. It's just too much money.

Is Resistance 2 really that bad? I've given it a couple of shots and got sidetracked/bored within an hour or two each, but I'm considering picking it up on the cheap today to hold me off.

JB1981

bluedeviltron said:
Is Resistance 2 really that bad? I've given it a couple of shots and got sidetracked/bored within an hour or two each, but I'm considering picking it up on the cheap today to hold me off.
It's not the worst game ever. If you have time to kill it's worth it I guess

Loudninja

Callibretto said:
I'm actually agreeing with you, allonym make a comment about how he wish developer begin development with 15-20 hour length in mind, but Resistance is a straight up linear fps, and I don't know any other fps of this particular style to last that long. Resistance 1 is actually longer than average linear fps on the market, and weapon wheel and skill point give nice incentive for replay.
Yeah I know!R3 replay should be high, you got trophies, things to unlock,weapons to upgrade and in intel to fine. Also the AI gets harder as the difficultly increase so that should be fun as well.

Thrakier said:
Deaths are not inclueded in this time so it probably is about 8 hours which is totally fine.

This is exactly right. If you can play through R3 without dying, you can beat it in 6 or 7 hours. But I can pretty much guarantee it will take over that when you factor in deaths. It is not an easy game by any means.

Remember when Vanquish hit and people were whining to the moon and back because of screenshots showing sub-four-hour completion times? I'm a pretty hardcore shooter player and it probably took me 10-plus to beat that game on hard. Maybe I suck, but it's worth pointing out.

If you're worried about length, definitely don't be. Plus, as you can level up all the weapons (which you probably won't do on your first playthrough) there is a lot of mileage in the R3 campaign.

bluedeviltron said:
Play it on easy, it's actually a fun game on easy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's very fun on easy.

Last night I read The Gathering Storm. It was pap, but some scenes were interesting. Ironically, the most boring parts of the book were parts where the author was describing Hale in battle or doing battle things. The other parts-- the political parts, the parts about Nathan's private life-- were more interesting. There was one interesting battle segment that I thought was entertaining because of who was in it and not what was actually going on, but yeah.

They didn't really answer the question of how England was reoccupied.

The author also totally personified the chimera in a way I don't understand. I mean, in a way we don't see in the game at all...as sometimes non-aggressive or even cooperative and thoughtful. As retreating sometimes. Grims come to a well to pump and drink water. Didn't get that. It basically made them a race of alien humans instead of a race of alien hiveminds. I think I liked that in the book more than how they are in the game.

Loudninja

One thing I did not like in R2 was how the Chimera look, they had these short faces lol.Love the game though, I played it or normal and enjoy it alot.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bluedeviltron said:

No it's not, but the lack of weapon wheel does the most damage to this game imo, for example, here's a boss, oh, here's a Rocket launcher conveniently lying on the ground, that bugged the hell out of me even though it's a common trope of fps games but after RFoM it felt like a poor u-turn, I much prefer stricter control of ammo distribution rather than weapons.

Although on here your made to feel dirty for saying it I actually still enjoyed the game, lack of weapon wheel aside the weapons still felt great, good gun-play is one thing that has been consistent with Resistance imo, even in R2, although there was obvious inconsistencies in the graphics overall I still thought they was good, I loved the Cocodrie (Louisiana) level, I thought the Paddle Steamer was a great addition in the level.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
*sigh* I was really pretty excited for Resistance 3, but with the deluge of big releases hitting, I've kinda lost interest.
Unless the reviews are really good, I'm going to hold off on this.

Y2Kev

lowrider007 said:
No it's not, but the lack of weapon wheel does the most damage to this game imo, for example, here's a boss, oh, here's a Rocket launcher conveniently lying on the ground, that bugged the hell out of me even though it's a common trope of fps games but after RFoM it felt like a poor u-turn, I much prefer stricter control of ammo distribution rather than weapons.

Although on here your made to feel dirty for saying it I actually still enjoyed the game, lack of weapon wheel aside the weapons still felt great, good gun-play is one thing that has been consistent with Resistance imo, even in R2, although there was obvious inconsistencies in the graphics overall I still thought they was good, I loved the Cocodrie (Louisiana) level, I thought Paddle Steamer was a great addition in the level.
I felt like R2 was penalized for this even though it's in EVERY FPS game. Maybe not in like CoD since the weapons in that game are so interchangeable (excepting the "special teams" weapons, like snipers or Javelin launchers or something). I thought it was really unfair.

patsu

RoaringHawk said:
hmmm... Guess I'll wait for that then. But sometimes demos mean nothing when it comes to the final game.

Yeah, many developers mess up their demo, making it less fun and less immersive than the real game. They also don't patch the demo after they patch the real games. Problem is they did it when the tech is barely ready.

On paper, the best type is the PS+ full game demo. I suspect for R3, the best demo is for them to play the real MP game for a limited time start at level 5-10 (where they can upgrade their guns and customize the loadout).

Y2Kev said:
I felt like R2 was penalized for this even though it's in EVERY FPS game. Maybe not in like CoD since the weapons in that game are so interchangeable (excepting the "special teams" weapons, like snipers or Javelin launchers or something). I thought it was really unfair.
If the weapon wheel hadn't been in R1, R2 wouldn't have been penalized for it, but the fact of the matter is that it was an absolute downgrade.

patsu

ConradCervantes said:
Yeah, I played this game WAY more than what I posted. Safe to say deaths aren't included in the time. And I'm starting my second playthrough after work today. Lots of trophies I'm close to unlocking, and I'll try it with the Sharpshooter this time, with the window wide open so neighbors can see me acting a fool.

I played on Normal, and there were some parts that I really had to approach with a certain amount of strategy, so Hard and Superhuman should be lengthy playthroughs.

Is there any collectibles in the game ? Like the audio intel in RFOM ?

Y2Kev

badcrumble said:
If the weapon wheel hadn't been in R1, R2 wouldn't have been penalized for it, but the fact of the matter is that it was an absolute downgrade.
Sure. It was a definite downgrade, and it was a move clearly aimed at making the game more like CoD. I have no idea why it happened. But it was just always framed in this really questionable way (to me).

Loudninja

patsu said:
Is there any collectibles in the game ? Like the audio intel in RFOM ?
Yes there are 42 pieces of intel also:

Gen X said:
For those asking about skill points. (Spoiler Free)

There is currency to spend on unlocks (Very similar to Uncharted 2s list of Unlocks) to use in the SP Campaign, MP Mode, Concept Art, Cheat Modes etc etc. You get currency each time you unlock a trophy.

For those that think they're quite good at fps you might want to consider playing the game on Hard difficulty. I am 4hrs 45mins into the game and at the end of Level 15 (out of 20).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30641242&postcount=1025

I was wrong about this.

patsu

Callibretto said:

The game length looks reasonable for me. Similar to standard FPSes. The bonus for me is the MP. Played 1-2 years everday for RFOM. Made a lot of new friends. Played R2 for about 6 months. This thing will likely last me 1-2 years again. Already starting to see new clan folks like Pikma, pwonager, and some old ones.

Thrakier

bluedeviltron said:

It's really not a bad game like in "it's a punishment to play it". In fact no IG game is really "bad". It's just unbelievable unpolished, some areas are quite good, others are butt ugly. Like alpha version ugly. It's just...people had high hopes for the game coming from R1 that was so consisten in style and atmosphere and everything. And R2 forgot almost about everything which made R1 so great and added uglier graphics. More effects, maybe, but all in all just ugly. So at least it seems like in R3 the art is fixed, even though the engine still isn't where it should be after all this years imo.

NBtoaster

Loudninja said:
Last page ,a couple of people posted their times, but those 2 already said they play longer than 6 hours..

Oh. I don't really mind short fps either.

Y2Kev said:

I pensalise R2 for an extreme lack of polish. An example relating to weapons is the kraken fight. You are given the strongest weapon in the game, forced to equip it, and it has infinite ammo for no expained reason. All your other weapons are gone, and there's no reasonable explanation for the super high tech gun just lying there. It doesn't make any sense. There's a vehicle flying around you doing nothing, they could have at least explained it by having it throw down ammo, and have the kraken knock all your other weapons out of your hand.

I would love new rules about people shutting up until the game is actually out. There is new crappy trend on GAF where OT's become a bitch-fest because of people who get and finish the game before it's out. Suddenly everyone is debating someone else's impression when they haven't played it.

Y2Kev said:
Sure. It was a definite downgrade, and it was a move clearly aimed at making the game more like CoD. I have no idea why it happened. But it was just always framed in this really questionable way (to me).
Yeah, I think people criticizing that particular move in the *absolute* sense are being pretty unfair. But, honestly, the loudest voices of criticism against R2 (google maps textures aside) were just about *always* from the R1 fans who loved that the first felt like a late-90s HL1-esque FPS and that R2 represented a total rejection of everything that they'd loved about the original. R3, on the other hand, is pretty obviously a HUGE mea culpa for R2, whether anyone from Insomniac will admit it or not; personally, I have no need for them to do so, because the game itself is enough.

patsu

ShinUltramanJ said:
*sigh* I was really pretty excited for Resistance 3, but with the deluge of big releases hitting, I've kinda lost interest.
Unless the reviews are really good, I'm going to hold off on this.

Take your time. The game may last for a while because of a mix of oldschool gameplay and atmospheric experience. In MP I really like the short and sweet alternating rounds, compared to long Warzone and UC3 type long sessions. If Sony let me install this game to HDD, it will make an excellent goto game for me. Should sit well with other FPSes.

And don't forget to organize tournaments for this game Sony. If R3 gameplay is additive, just push it like other big releases. I enjoy this as much as other great first party games.

Ashes

Banned
badcrumble said:
Yeah, I think people criticizing that particular move in the *absolute* sense are being pretty unfair. But, honestly, the loudest voices of criticism against R2 (google maps textures aside) were just about *always* from the R1 fans who loved that the first felt like a late-90s HL1-esque FPS and that R2 represented a total rejection of everything that they'd loved about the original. R3, on the other hand, is pretty obviously a HUGE mea culpa for R2, whether anyone from Insomniac will admit it or not; personally, I have no need for them to do so, because the game itself is enough.

So why did it get a higher metacrtic rating?

bluedeviltron said:
It's one of my favorite FPS on current gen consoles. I also loved the co-op MP, grinding in it was actually fun

Kambing

The thing i am most looking forward to is playing with the weapon wheel.

For the lucky individuals who have played the SP, is it as awesome as i think it will be? I am thinking there will be so much variety from being able to switch weapons on the fly.

Ashes1396 said:
Because the co-op in R2 was a really cool and unique addition, and because the campaign was easier and prettier and ditched the kinda-clunky vehicle segments from the first game, and because reviewers tend to rush through a game and rate it for its 'wow' moments and downrate it if they feel like they get stuck somewhere.

lowrider007

Ashes1396 said:

60man MP, 8p Co-op, 2 campaigns, etc, as I've said before I felt that the MP aspects of R2 had a big influence on the scores as a lot of reviewers seem to like it.

Ashes

Banned
Does anybody remember the 1up yours meltdown? Felt sorry for js when he was on one episode.

Reviewers in general are stupid. The way 1up yours hyped up gears 2 really let me down when I played the game. I would have enjoyed the game a lot more without that crap. Most of that game was lame till the last ten minutes of awesome sauce. Not to mention that the multiplayer was a completely broken piece of crap.

patsu

bluedeviltron said:

It's a good and very solid game marred by a few issues. The issues are not too bad but they seem obvious to people who loved Insomniac games. It makes us disappointed inside.

e.g. For no weapon wheel complains, they are actually 2 related issues. First is they took out something that made RFOM fun and unique, although I can understand it may be hard to balance. Second, the replacement 2-weapon mechanism made the game predictable because of the weapon they left at the beginning of the stage. It kinda hinted to me in no small way how and what to play the next level with. If they had used a generic ammo crate and let me choose any 2-weapons I like, I would be quite happy.

In one occasion, I missed a new gun totally. I think it got blown away by some huge explosions, and that level seems to need that gun. So I ran around in that level avoiding explosions without firing a single shot. My AI friends eventually killed it for me. ^_^

OTOH, R2 has the most elaborate and interesting 8p co-op true to Insomniac's style. I wouldn't miss that despite the SP flaws. In general, the MP was solid but too bad, RFOM and R3 MP are more intense and additive. Then again these 2 games don't have R2's sexy co-op.

A conundrum ! 8^)

Edit: incidentally, that mini-boss experience also told me friendly AI made a difference in combat. They could kill a mini-boss without me. ^_^

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The Klimt said, the sub-7 hour thing is not something a first-time player will have happen. The game doesn't track deaths on completion time.

When we ran consumers who had never played before through on normal, it took similar times to R2, maybe a bit shorter on average. It's definitely got enough meat on its bones.

patsu

Aye, just patch the game to also include death replays. The complains would become irrelevant. It's the same exact game and playthroughs but counted differently. ^_^

Ashes

Banned
jstevenson said:
The Klimt said, the sub-7 hour thing is not something a first-time player will have happen. The game doesn't track deaths on completion time.

When we ran consumers who had never played before through on normal, it took similar times to R2, maybe a bit shorter on average. It's definitely got enough meat on its bones.

If it's close to R2 on normal, then I don't think anybody will complain; you will have noticed that it is only myself and others who haven't played the game that are calling you out on game length. :p

I will however play this on higher difficulty. Prepare for a voice-mail, if it's to my detriment.

yes, that was thrown in there randomly, to push you into publishing that damned voice-mail or whatever it was! email or something.

lowrider007

patsu said:
Aye, just patch the game to also include death replays. The complains would become irrelevant. It's the same exact game and playthroughs but counted differently. ^_^

Actually why isn't this the case?, surely it's beneficial that the actual playtime should include deaths/retries? would look better on paper for Insomniac also as it would make the game seem longer.

Top Bottom