• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

Melchiah said:
I prefer varied and well-made long SP campaigns, too bad the maximum time seems to be 8-10 hours nowadays.

You need to blame people like me partly. I am busy and yes, I don't complete most of the games. I may not be the minority though, since some reports stated that most gamers don't complete their game, including good games. I have abandoned ME2, inFamous, Bioshock, GTA, etc.

Heavenly Sword is one of the shortest SPs I have completed. It was short and very sweet. Didn't waste my time. Loved every minute playing as Kai too. I can appreciate games like that.

Ashes

Banned
On top of those I like the boss and the google maps part. I know its not google maps, but I can't remember the exact name of the level.

I think I'm also one of the few who likes the boss you fight on a moving platform on the water. So simple but I liked the bobbling effect.

Ashes

Banned
RoboPlato said:
If you have R2 load up the Leaper Queen boss and look at the ground over the ledge.

I think that's the level. It's not google maps I know, but that got pushed as a gif didn't it? :p

Ashes

Banned
Team Klimt said:
It is photoshopped. GAF is hilarious.

Carl said:
this one?

resistance2pic3.jpg

;)

It was a very clever boss. Up, down, left right. And all of that on a real tall tower a mile up high.

patsu said:
Yap, RFOM has higher "art" IMHO too, but R2 simply had much bigger and more of everything. In particular, colors in R2 confuses me.

Same feeling here about the colors, some colorshemes don't fit the game imo.

Y2Kev said:
R2 ultimately looks much better than R1. It's hard to see because they put so much work into the (useless) scale than intimate, intricate detail, but it's there. Chicago's skyline is really amazing. But then you spend so much time in shitty, drab underground hallways. :\

There are some amazing vistas, but I can't help thinking that the world in R2 is not really alive. I played the R3 demo at Gamescom, and that game had a completely different feel to it...like the world was really alive. Well at least in the Haven level that is :D

Melchiah

patsu said:
You need to blame people like me partly. I am busy and yes, I don't complete most of the games. I may not be the minority though, since some reports stated that most gamers don't complete their game, including good games. I have abandoned ME2, inFamous, Bioshock, GTA, etc.

Heavenly Sword is one of the shortest SPs I have completed. It was short and very sweet. Didn't waste my time. Loved every minute playing as Kai too. I can appreciate games like that.

Different strokes for different folks. I put about 70 hours for ME2 (including the DLC missions), and never finished Heavenly Sword, because I got stuck in one of the early boss matches.

I read some article about people not completing games as well, but I think it's more due to annoying parts, where people get stuck, and tiresome repetitive gameplay, than the length of the game.

EDIT: Here's the article, if anyone's interested.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/

Loudninja said:
That is consider short now? wow where have I been?

Yes, as far as I'm concerned. I always felt disappointed during last gen when a game was over in less than 15 hours. I guess I was spoiled by the PS1/PS2 Resident Evils and such.

Ashes

Banned
Melchiah said:
Different strokes for different folks. I put about 70 hours for ME2 (including the DLC missions), and never finished Heavenly Sword, because I got stuck in one of the early boss matches.

I read some article about people not completing games as well, but I think it's more due to annoying parts, where people get stuck, and tiresome repetitive gameplay, than the length of the game.

99.9 percent easy, and then the last boss, the difficulty jumps up by 100%. Fuck me that game is broken.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Steve McQueen said:
Same feeling here about the colors, some colorshemes don't fit the game imo.

There are some amazing vistas, but I can't help thinking that the world in R2 is not really alive. I played the R3 demo at Gamescom, and that game had a completely different feel to it...like the world was really alive. Well at least in the Haven level that is :D
It's not. It has extremely static lighting and it's just so empty and lifeless. Compared to R1, which was angular and overly clean but had so much cool detail, it looked very flat. But the vistas looked nice. :)

R3 will hopefully make things pop with all the effects.

And the Google Maps part of R2 is really unacceptable. How did that get past their quality controls? The tower doesn't even make sense. Is it flying? Floating? Why is it in 3 pieces?

Melchiah said:
Yes, as far as I'm concerned. I always felt disappointed during last gen when a game was over in less than 15 hours. I guess I was spoiled by the PS1/PS2 Resident Evils and such.

You're being sarcastic I assume? Resident Evil was only about 3 hrs long. Even back then when I played it as a teenager, me and my friend finished it off in around 6hrs first time through.

Melchiah

Appollowexx said:
You're being sarcastic I assume? Resident Evil was only about 3 hrs long. Even back then when I played it as a teenager, me and my friend finished it off in around 6hrs first time through.

Actually, no I wasn't. I don't remember how long the 1st RE took for me, but RE2 and CVX were definitely over 15 hours, not to mention many other games of that time, like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:
It's not. It has extremely static lighting and it's just so empty and lifeless. Compared to R1, which was angular and overly clean but had so much cool detail, it looked very flat. But the vistas looked nice. :)

R3 will hopefully make things pop with all the effects.

And the Google Maps part of R2 is really unacceptable. How did that get past their quality controls? The tower doesn't even make sense. Is it flying? Floating? Why is it in 3 pieces?

Its fake though.

patsu

Melchiah said:

Definitely depends on tastes ! It can be for trivial reasons too. For Bioshock, it was because the game was dragging after 2/3 of the game. ME2 was too long, aborted after I got a sense of what's going on. I got burnt out from hours of dedicated shard collection in inFamous (lol).

I didn't get stuck in HS and the thing was over in a chop-chop, fast paced way.

Hyuga

Banned
Man, .... I don't know if I should buy R3 ;/
Played R1 and R2 because I liked the storyline.
So I want to know how it ends, but.... another FPS.... hm.....

Loudninja

Steve McQueen said:
Sorry, I may have overlooked this, but what's the reason?
jstevenson said:
demo soon, I think it's done, I didn't hear with being in Germany.

reviews depends on when our Day 1 Patch, and thus the Online Pass (which can't get cleared for the store until the patch is cleared) are done and in the store so reviewers can download and play. Whee! We're trying to get them up ahead of launch, but it's always fun trying to coordinate globally while locking down the Day 1 patch and such. :)

patsu

Hyuga said:
Man, .... I don't know if I should by R3 ;/
Played R1 and R2 because I liked the storyline.
So I want to know how it ends, but.... another FPS.... hm.....

Just wait and see if you are unsure... -_-
You don't have to follow the crowd.

FPS have variations too. If you don't like old school shooters, then this one may not be for you though.

BeeDog

The fact that they use the humongous day 1 patch as an excuse to put up an embargo is a little bit disturbing. Especially considering that they had way more development time for this game than usual, and that review embargos almost always are there for some (negative) reason.

Either way, the positive GAF impressions are pleasing, and can't wait for my copy to arrive this week.

Melchiah said:
Actually, no I wasn't. I don't remember how long the 1st RE took for me, but RE2 and CVX were definitely over 15 hours, not to mention many other games of that time, like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
They're different genre, if you want to compare with previous gen length you should compare it to medal of honor or call of duty, or doom
Resident evil and legacy of kain have puzzles and exploration to lengthen the game. Resistance are all about shooting and moving through levels, no puzzles or backtracking etc, you move through the level faster than other genre that have puzzles, backtracking, etc.

Melchiah

Callibretto said:
They're different genre, if you want to compare with previous gen length you should compare it to medal of honor or call of duty, or doom
Resident evil and legacy of kain have puzzles and exploration to lengthen the game. Resistance are all about shooting and moving through levels, no puzzles or backtracking etc, you move through the level faster than other genre that have puzzles, backtracking, etc.

Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were relatively long as well, although I don't remember their length exactly. IIRC, RFoM was quite long also, at least when compared to the length of more recent shooters.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Nowgamer is so worthless.

Edit:My copy will com by good old FedEx so I should get it early Tuesday. :)
I'm hoping the UPS guy comes earlier that usual. I'll be unemployed come Tuesday so it's just going to be Resistance and job hunting for anwhile.

Ashes

Banned
Cyberia said:
Well IGN & Eurogamer done it before.

Not singling them out. It is what came up. :p

I suppose it is technically news, and they are just previewing their review date, trying to get an audience so fair dos but still... :p

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^I have to wait till Friday. You all will be finished with the campaign before I even get it delivered.

Y2Kev

Melchiah said:
Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were relatively long as well, although I don't remember their length exactly. IIRC, RFoM was quite long also, at least when compared to the length of more recent shooters.
Doom 3 was HUGE. It was WAY too long and had so much filler.

RFoM was also super long. 12 hours min.

But standards have really eroded since then. Codblops is like 4 hrs.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:

Not thats short,I did feel RFOM drag on a little.

For some reason, I usually like shorter games and generally progressing a lot more than I like with long, dragging games but still feel kinda disappointed after finishing a game in 6 hours. Actually I don't even remember a game where the length was just fine for me

Y2Kev

PetriP-TNT said:
For some reason, I usually like shorter games and generally progressing a lot more than I like with long, dragging games but still feel kinda disappointed after finishing a game in 6 hours. Actually I don't even remember a game where the length was just fine for me
Uncharted 2 was perfectly paced for me. Nothing dragged. Resistance 2 was also a fine length.

Melchiah said:
I prefer varied and well-made long SP campaigns, too bad the maximum time seems to be 8-10 hours nowadays.
I have never played what felt to me like a varied and long SP campaign. Ultimately my feeling is that most video games can only be long if they use repetition, a lot of it for the worse ones. For a lot of people, mild repetition of fun stuff is good, but i'd prefer to experience a particular gameplay mechanic just a very few times, no matter how much i would enjoy many more times.

completely off topic: i can't help but read Y2Kev's tag as "professional hitler". It's very disturbing.

Y2Kev said:

halo 3 was 6 hours. didnt stop it from getting rave reviews though

Thrakier

Y2Kev said:
Uncharted 2 was perfectly paced for me. Nothing dragged. Resistance 2 was also a fine length.

Uncharted 1 was better paced than 2 imo. There were some sections which were dragging. R2 was fine as well. R3 will surely be fine as well, IG always were quite good in pacing their games just right.

Did anyone play through the game with move yet? Did the perspective bother you?

Thrakier said:
Uncharted 1 was better paced than 2 imo. There were some sections which were dragging. R2 was fine as well. R3 will surely be fine as well, IG always were quite good in pacing their games just right.

Did anyone play through the game with move yet? Did the perspective bother you?

I thought the pacing in U2 was FAR better than U1...infact, apart from the intro in Istanbull, there was no downtime in U2 at all (apart from the village, which was a nice little respite)...

Melchiah

Y2Kev said:

I don't think the length was the problem in Doom 3, but the tedious gameplay elements, ie. monsters jumping on you from closets and whatnot.

I wouldn't call RFoM super long, unless we're comparing it to CoD, it felt just the right length for me. Personally, I'd never pay over 20€ for a game I knew was only 4 hours long.

Talking about tedious games, I got CoD4:MW as a subscriber gift, but never managed to finish the game. I just lost interest after the 2nd or 3rd level.

Top Bottom