• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

UNCyrus

Loudninja said:
Thats good so how you like, no story spoliers or anything like that please.Guys don't be afraid to post impressions just don't spoil anything or I will destroy you :)

The game was just paced really well. Insom did a great job with making all the characters more relatable than a typical bro-shooter. That and the return on the weapon-wheel made gameplay 10x more fun when you can pick and choose how you want to dismantle an enemy :lol

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:
I'm fine with the FOV, that's not the problem. The problem is that they have the same FOV for two completly different weapon placements.

So this a more mental block? Like in kz2 when some people complained about how short the protagonist was?

Which video are you looking at? maybe that may help your case I feel.

Loudninja

UNCyrus said:
The game was just paced really well. Insom did a great job with making all the characters more relatable than a typical bro-shooter. That and the return on the weapon-wheel made gameplay 10x more fun when you can pick and choose how you want to dismantle an enemy :lol
Thats what I like to hear its sounded really good.

UNCyrus said:
I find Insomniac's decision to take the weapon wheel away in R2 as one of the worst design decisions in a sequel ever.

I am glad to hear they may have fixed some blatant issues in R3. Since I finally have a great paying job I am getting this day frickin one

Thrakier

Ashes1396 said:
So this a more mental block? Like in kz2 when some people complained about how short the protagonist was?

Yep, kinda, however I never noticed it in KZ2. Or at least it didn't bother me. But I think it's pretty obvious in this case because Capellis body must be really weird to hold the weapon this way. Just watch a move gameplay video, it's the same for everyone.

Besides that I think the gun models are great and I'm just annoyed they take so much away from them in move mode. I don't get the reasoning and I think it's the wrong decision. It hurts the atmosphere imo along with that huge ass crosshair. Looks kinda...kiddy?

highrider

Banned
.la1n said:
Pacing was very much a strong point. You had enough down time to prepare for the next big set piece but not so much that you grew tired of the game. I did not enjoy the move implementation but it doesn't matter, I'm used to using a controller with my FPS games anyway. Great story, great graphics, wonderful pacing and voice acting - you guys nailed it. Thanks for taking fan criticism to heart while also crafting something unique based on your own personal goals. Favorite game this gen so far in the FPS genre. Bravo Insomniac.

fuck me. monday will be a long day.

Ashes1396 said:

If people complained about the shortness of the dude in KZ2 I wonder what their thoughts were about the protagonist in Bioshock. That guy was like 3 ft. tall.

Ashes

Banned
TheExecutive said:
If people complained about the shortness of the dude in KZ2 I wonder what their thoughts were about the protagonist in Bioshock. That guy was like 3 ft. tall.

I don't know. I think the point being expressed was that he wasn't supposed to be short or something. :p

Thrakier said:
Yep, kinda, however I never noticed it in KZ2. Or at least it didn't bother me. But I think it's pretty obvious in this case because Capellis body must be really weird to hold the weapon this way. Just watch a move gameplay video, it's the same for everyone.

Besides that I think the gun models are great and I'm just annoyed they take so much away from them in move mode. I don't get the reasoning and I think it's the wrong decision. It hurts the atmosphere imo along with that huge ass crosshair. Looks kinda...kiddy?

Feel for ya dude.

Oh btw, I do agree somewhat about the crosshair. Whilst I like the cool alien look to the bullseye, I don't really like the standalone crosshair.

Most games have it, so it may look like an unfair complaint, but they ought to look into different crosshairs, right?

I actually would rather have a single dot, like in Red Dead redemption, or more appropriately, some of the more potent guns in MW and the like. I say red dead, so J.S can't complain about Resistance being set in the mid fifties or something. :p

Can't remember the hudless debate. Except that we've had it before.

patsu

I don't particularly care about realism details in games, 'specially scifi.

Who in this world carry a hoist of 12-14 weapons of all sizes + grenades + health serums (like Doraemon !), and can sprint forever like RoadRunner ? Nathan Hale,
before he became god

If it makes the game more fun, I'll strap another 10 to Capelli. ^_^

I reckon the gun perspective in Move is probably to simplify the implementation, and make the experience and view more consistent. It is possible that the developers tried the DS3 way (since it requires no change), but think that the existing Move perspective is better.

Some press folks who already have the game can probably ask Insomniac.

I agree the cross hair may be distracting to some folks though. It's the focal point for all Move users.

dralla

I just played an hour straight with nothing but the Carbine. It seems they only way to make it usable is Gunslinger and Air Cooled Barrel. You essentially have to create a class just for the Carbine. You also have to play very patiently, keep your distance and avoid close range combat at all costs. Marksman + Shotty [or really any combo of close and mid range weapon] is the better alternative IMO. I will probably use it once in a while just for the hell out it. The Bayonet attachment is really bad, I was expecting a 1 hit kill but it's just a slightly more powerful melee.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
.la1n said:
Pacing was very much a strong point. You had enough down time to prepare for the next big set piece but not so much that you grew tired of the game. I did not enjoy the move implementation but it doesn't matter, I'm used to using a controller with my FPS games anyway. Great story, great graphics, wonderful pacing and voice acting - you guys nailed it. Thanks for taking fan criticism to heart while also crafting something unique based on your own personal goals. Favorite game this gen so far in the FPS genre. Bravo Insomniac.
I need this now. Tomorrow is going to feel incredibly long.

Reckoner

RoboPlato said:
I need this now. Tomorrow is going to feel incredibly long.
I'm glad I have to wait 'till friday. gives me time to replay Fall of Men and Resistance 2 and then, let the awesomeness come!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
UNCyrus said:
Finished the campaign. It's one of those games that right when you finish it, you want to start it all over again.

Huh. I don't mind being in the minority, but when the game ended, I couldn't wait to throw it back in its case in disgust. Besides trying to play in co-op, I can't imagine playing through the campaign ever again.

JB1981

Kintaro said:
Huh. I don't mind being in the minority, but when the game ended, I couldn't wait to throw it back in its case in disgust. Besides trying to play in co-op, I can't imagine playing through the campaign ever again.
You referring to 2 or 3

Kintaro

Ashes1396 said:
If you hated it that much, why did you finish the game?

It's short and I wanted to see if it got better. Also, its short. Guns are fun through which is the main reason. I liked having them at level 3. =D

Y2Kev said:
The only game I've ever felt disgust after finishing was Enslaved.

I felt that way because of how it relates to this developer. Ratchet and Clank is so good, it boggles my mind how this can come from the same guys. I think I'll play some Crack in Time now!

TheExecutive said:
Any background? Did you like any of the resistance games? Very interested in what you have to say.

I loved Resistance 1, didn't care for Resistance 2. I'm not going to go into details until after launch and people play the game. I've been accused of being an asshole Debbie Downer and I just don't want to do that.

I will just say that the guns are great and I wish more FPS used imaginative guns. Doesn't quite top lightning covered shurikens though. =D

patsu

The beauty of diversity !
Might want to consider selling your copy so someone poorer can enjoy it earlier. ^_^

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Can anyone comment on how the 3d looks in this game? Just got a new set and looking for something besides avatar to revel in it. I didn't love R2 but Insomniac makes fun games usually. I'm kinda on the fence with this one and a great 3d look might push me over.

Kintaro

patsu said:
The beauty of diversity !
Might want to consider selling your copy so someone poorer can enjoy it earlier. ^_^

Nah, I want to try MP. While I don't like the SP, it IS only one part of the game after all.

Kintaro said:
It's short and I wanted to see if it got better. Also, its short. Guns are fun through which is the main reason. I liked having them at level 3. =D

I felt that way because of how it relates to this developer. Ratchet and Clank is so good, it boggles my mind how this can come from the same guys. I think I'll play some Crack in Time now!

I loved Resistance 1, didn't care for Resistance 2. I'm not going to go into details until after launch and people play the game. I've been accused of being an asshole Debbie Downer and I just don't want to do that.

I will just say that the guns are great and I wish more FPS used imaginative guns. Doesn't quite top lightning covered shurikens though. =D
Fair enough, just trying to get some diverse opinions before the launch.

Ashes

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Fair enough, just trying to get some diverse opinions before the launch.

He complained about cheap ai that only aims for him. So I thought he was struggling or something. But he now says the game is short. So maybe not.

I think he said something about hating the grain effect or something; can't remember, maybe something about the whole thing being blurry maybe. And oh ugly people. He thinks the game is full of ugly people. That I do remember. :p

I think he dislikes most things about the game bar the guns. From what I can make out. ;)

To be fair, seems like he didn't like the game, but isn't going into it all that much, out of respect for other people who really seem to like it.

I don't see the need for him being so defensive though. The fact that he has to clarify that he likes other insomniac games etc. Bleh. You don't like a game, big deal. let other people deal with their own shit. We're not exactly kids anymore... at least I don't think I'm one. :p

LEGGZZZZ

Ashes1396 said:
I don't see the need for him being so defensive though. The fact that he has to clarify that he likes other insomniac games etc. Bleh. You don't like a game, big deal. let other people deal with their own shit. We're not exactly kids anymore... at least I don't think I'm one. :p

Exactly. I'm extremely hyped, but I also like hearing diverse opinions. Can't be more dissappointing than KZ3 that's for sure, but then again that game also had cool guns :p

dralla said:
I just played an hour straight with nothing but the Carbine. It seems they only way to make it usable is Gunslinger and Air Cooled Barrel. You essentially have to create a class just for the Carbine. You also have to play very patiently, keep your distance and avoid close range combat at all costs. Marksman + Shotty [or really any combo of close and mid range weapon] is the better alternative IMO. I will probably use it once in a while just for the hell out it. The Bayonet attachment is really bad, I was expecting a 1 hit kill but it's just a slightly more powerful melee.

I played a bit tonight and I threw a grenade AND use my 40mm after shooting at a guy and he didn't die, they need to tweak the damage on the carbine and especially the 40mm.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really enjoy opinions in prerelease because people are cagey and can't talk openly. It's nice to hear, "I didn't like it," or, "I liked it," but beyond that, you can't engage anyone in conversation. It's why IGN's shitty reviews have always been so frustrating...you have your nose pressed against the glass with a urgent need to join a conversation you don't know anything about.

It's why Metacritic sucks and why scores always go down over time. :)

Drewfonse

Loudninja said:
Thats good so how you like, no story spoliers or anything like that please.Guys don't be afraid to post impressions just don't spoil anything or I will destroy you :)

Rosebud is his SLED! HA! In your face! Oh wait, you were talking about R3, damnit.

Ashes

Banned
Drewfonse said:
Rosebud is his SLED! HA! In your face! Oh wait, you were talking about R3, damnit.

Wait, for real? I watched that film twenty times already, and I never got it.

Yeah, no!

patsu

dralla said:

Did you upgrade your Carbine ? How does it compare to an upgraded BullsEye ?

Kintaro

Y2Kev said:
I don't really enjoy opinions in prerelease because people are cagey and can't talk openly. It's nice to hear, "I didn't like it," or, "I liked it," but beyond that, you can't engage anyone in conversation.

This is also why I'm not saying anything else. It doesn't really help discussion.

Chiggs

Gold Member
bill.cosby said:
Can anyone comment on how the 3d looks in this game? Just got a new set and looking for something besides avatar to revel in it. I didn't love R2 but Insomniac makes fun games usually. I'm kinda on the fence with this one and a great 3d look might push me over.

I would love to know this, as well.

patsu

Y2Kev said:
I don't really enjoy opinions in prerelease because people are cagey and can't talk openly. It's nice to hear, "I didn't like it," or, "I liked it," but beyond that, you can't engage anyone in conversation. It's why IGN's shitty reviews have always been so frustrating...you have your nose pressed against the glass with a urgent need to join a conversation you don't know anything about.

It should be possible to discuss it in interesting ways if the reviewer uses mature language and understand the sciences behind. Short statements like "I like/don't like it" is probably not good enough since people will always want to know more. In the absence of contexts (game history, scenario, reviewer background and preferences), sciences can step in to give an objective framework to hang the discussion.

Kintaro said:

What's wrong with it?

Ashes

Banned
patsu said:
It should be possible to discuss it in interesting ways if the reviewer uses mature language and understand the sciences behind. Short statements like "I like/don't like it" is probably not good enough since people will always want to know more. In the absence of contexts (game history, scenario, reviewer background and preferences), sciences can step in to give an objective framework to hang the discussion.

I agree and see where you are coming from. However I also acknowledge that reviewers are wildly different. Here is the neogaf thread for user reviews..

And for comparison's sake:

shintoki said:
Medal of Honor
Platform:360

I recently got a chance to play it. Went through the campaign on hard and also played some 3-4 hours in multiplayer.

Singleplayer
Unlike COD's grand nuclear holocaust story line. This title keeps it relatively simple. I don't want to say it was good, but it wasn't the worst I ever played either. There isn't much to say about it. You switch between 3 roughnecks with intersecting stories. You have your moments of sweet victory and loss. It's basically one of those... Why we fight? For each other! storyline.

If you thought the less than 4 hour campaign was scary, then you'll be happy to know that it is just as linear. Absolutely no diverting from the planned course. You enter into an area with 2 or 3 solid cover spots, take out baddies, and move on. Some times you'll follow a scripted event instead. Advice, follow the scripted event. I had to restart two levels because I didn't follow it and it bugged the script. I couldn't advance on then. The events are no different. Take out a pair of baddies with your buddy, put down suppressing fire, sneak, etc. The game might as well of been an on rails shooter. You were either following a script or had a shooting gallery.

Controls and gameplay proved to be typically generic as well. It controls like every other shooter and doesn't do much different, except it still felt sluggish. Like they were trying to add weight to the controls, but messed it up so it felt janky instead. AI proved to be no challenge. Only time you could die was if you stepped out into the open. Otherwise it was just popping up to kill them, duck down after you got hit, Regen health. They couldn't really aim, throw grenades, and they would forget about you if you ducked down for 5 seconds.

If you are looking for some easy achievement points. Do it. You'll net some 400-500 in about 3 hours. Or maybe you just have a few hours to kill. Otherwise, there isn't a damn thing worth playing the SP for.

2/10

Multiplayer

Unlike the janky controls I felt in SP, these felt fine. It was the BC controls adapted in a MW style. You have your three classes and have to advance 15 levels to unlock all the weapons. The maps were fine, the guns felt fine, if you enjoyed any of the other dozen console military shooters. You'll fit right in here. There really isn't anything new or exciting while playing.

Problems are the typical match making woes, shoddy unlock system, switches weapons but not sides, and so forth. There really isn't any major problems, more just minor nitpicks.

There really just isn't much to say about it. It's completely average in every regard.

2/10

Overall, if you can't get enough the same plain burger everyday. You'll miss nothing from this title.

And my own:

Ashes1396 said:
Other reviews by Ashes1396: none as of yet

Medal of Honour (and where it stands in gaming today.)

Platform(s): Xbox 360 (version reviewed), Playstation 3, PC

Single player campaign only

Medal of Honour had a frosty reception to say the least. Up against the behemoths of the genre, with mixed to positive reviews from the press (which led to a stock fall in EA iirc) and following a sour multiplier beta, I wasn't holding high hopes.

The game is essentially familiar to the Modern Warfare formula, except that it uses real names and places. I found the plot convoluted, due to the choppy method used to tell the story between three characters. I remember the name Rabbit, vaguely, which says a lot about the depth of characters here and how memorable they are. Having said this, there were one or two uplifting moments when the story, intertwined with game play, caught me up in its web, and I felt part of this post-modern Iraq/Afghanistan war world, and gave a damn about whether the characters lived or not. The dialogue was more believable and less filthy then KZ2, which worked for the better, and had no cheesy lines ala Gears of War.

The use of real names/places carries over to the weapons and mission sequences; PR will tell you they had real tier one experts, although in this day age, in a modern shooter, who really doesn't? The gunplay is very COD-esque, which is a good thing to me. MOH has the familiar aim-assist, whereby it locks onto the nearest character, when you press LT. The reticule however doesn't change colour when you hover onto an enemy character, making it difficult to differentiate between friend and foe, which may be deliberate, perhaps to emulate life in the field. Lean and peak was hard to negotiate with, so I just left it to be, which was a real shame. The variation in weaponry is acceptable and I liked the way the various snipers were handled. The night-vision was a let down; the colours were more muted than what I would expect. The environments break apart here and there but there is no full on deformation. Weather played no memorable part, (e,g, the snow scene in Resistance 1 as an example of where it did). The vehicle segments are okay, the highlight being the helicopter sequences; driving the land vehicles were still very intuitive, and dare I say better then Halo, for instance.

The campaign is short, the hardest difficulty was -put bluntly- not difficult. I got the feeling, the developers removed all the bottlenecks, and made it fun first, unlike a certain level in COD:4. I wished the credits hadn't rolled, which is a complement and a criticism.

The AI in the game were okay at best, they popped up and took shots. Playing Halo Reach recently, you get to really see AI excel; Killzone 2 last year saw enemy AI flank you routinely in one or two levels, aided by level design. There were no real opportunities for the enemy AI in this game to do either. The enemies aren't MW instant kills, but thankfully not R2 type bullet sponges. Also thankfully the difficulty isn't artificially inflated, nor the campaign artificially lengthened just by sheer numbers in opposition, a tactic I find boring in other games. Even if there is an increase in 'traffic' towards the end. And there are no bosses to speak of neither.

Level design will be apparent to the FPS seasoned gaffer; towns are noticeably built around this. It does however vary nicely between terrains both urban and regional, and both small caves to largish open expanses. It is fundamentally corridor killboxes, but the variation allowed me to forgot this a few times. There were no memorable set pieces, but it was still good mission-to-mission based play. A shame that I don't recall seeing Afghanistani architecture/township, although I'm sure there was. Perhaps, there was no effort to draw our attentions to these things like in Uncharted 2. It's not a very cinematic game when compared to the giants of the industry.

That is not to suggest that the game isn't a visual splendor. It's a very good looking game in its own right. Even if you do notice the odd frame rate drop, and the one or two times, you see objects pop in, and some light texture work in places; on the whole, I enjoyed what I was looking at. Readers should note that I feel, that I should confess that I was playing on my wii, (and shock horror I enjoyed it), just before this, so the visual upgrade in all it's HD glory was quite possibly even greater to my eye.

The sound effects, and indeed all things related to sound, though, were just splendid. The guns packed a real punch, in fact I'd rate it a few notches above other games, and the 5.1 was excellent. Worth noting that character speech had both directional placement and came through the central speakers, which I hope other games pick up on because I could actually hear the dialogue properly. The Score was good enough to very good in places. It was never intrusive, just aided and helped set the mood.

The mix-up with all the above makes for a very enjoyable game experience. Don't get me wrong, you've experienced all this before, but I kept thinking that this was punching above it's weight, in light of how this game reviewed. It is a short game, I knew this going in, so I don't know whether to recommend it as a 'buy', if you are talking about the single player campaign only. Hmm... When it comes down to it, I sincerely just liked playing it. And I also eagerly look forward to their (Danger Close iirc) next game.

So where does Medal of Honor stand in gaming today? It's not leading the pack, dare I declare that no one game really is, but if it were given the budget and the time, it could most certainly get there. This is a very good re-entry for the franchise; a very good first step.

Rating: Seventy feels too low. Ninety too high. Eighty feels like it's going to get lost in the shuffle. It's hard to be objective whilst using emotional reasoning to rate games like this. So just read the review and take your own pick. It surprised me a bit, it may surprise you.

We both had different opinions, and each was completely valid in my eyes. It's up to readers who are looking to buy games to decide I think. Some people may think more like shintoki, and some people may think like me. Or neither. :p

patsu

Ah, that's because both reviewers wrote their opinions and feelings down. It can be hard to decide between the 2 for newcomers. There are other approaches that can be equally or more informative. I think TTP's Move reviews and previews are good examples. He's thorough, concise, balanced and let the readers decide whether they like the game instead of feeding them his own opinion.

In some cases, he can demonstrate his points via simple science experiments. Save me the trouble of asking questions. He also gives good background info to interpret his findings. Probably takes a lot of time to plan and prepare.

Would be interesting to hear his prerelease impressions. Good thing it's only 2 days away. I received Gamestop's pickup message this morning.

Ashes

Banned
patsu said:
Ah, that's because both reviewers wrote their opinions and feelings down. It can be hard to decide between the 2 for newcomers. There are other approaches that can be equally or more informative. I think TTP's Move reviews and previews are good examples. He's thorough, concise, balanced and let the readers decide whether they like the game instead of feeding them his own opinion.

In some cases, he can demonstrate his points via simple science experiments. Save me the trouble of asking questions. He also gives good background info to interpret his findings. Probably takes a lot of time to plan and prepare.

Would be interesting to hear his prerelease impressions. Good thing it's only 2 days away. I received Gamestop's pickup message this morning.

No disagreements there.

JVIDICAN

Just reached level 30 in the beta. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Great job Insomniac. :)
I'll probably be picking this up next week.

Raonak

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
I agree and see where you are coming from. However I also acknowledge that reviewers are wildly different. Here is the neogaf thread for user reviews..

We both had different opinions, and each was completely valid in my eyes. It's up to readers who are looking to buy games to decide I think. Some people may think more like shintoki, and some people may think like me. Or neither. :p

And thats why i do find metacritic useful *ducks*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm playing Cheddar Gorge in R1 right now! The levels are a lot more open than R2, hope we get somma dat. But I think the graphics have come a long way.

T-0800 said:
Why did you finish it?

I paid $40 and I also wanted to see if the spoilers I had read were real.

They WERE, I lol'd

jackdoe

Y2Kev said:
I'm playing Cheddar Gorge in R1 right now! The levels are a lot more open than R2, hope we get somma dat. But I think the graphics have come a long way.
I just got into London on my replay of R1. And I have to say, it feels decidedly old school.

I downloaded the most recent episode of Qore today (which, incidentally was free for some reason) to checkout some Dead Island footage, but also checked out the Resistance 3 footage as well.

And god dammit now I need to get R3 too. Looks so good.

delta25

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
I downloaded the most recent episode of Qore today (which, incidentally was free for some reason) to checkout some Dead Island footage, but also checked out the Resistance 3 footage as well.

And god dammit now I need to get R3 too. Looks so good.

who's the hot babe in your avatar?

Violater

I wish they would do a remake of the Manchester Cathedral MP level, even if they had to redo the church to something else to be more "P.C." just to appease the masses.

High roofs, jump pads, multi level combat, huge map. It was awesome

Top Bottom