• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

spats

Vasilisk said:
I'll repeat myself from a few pages ago.. Move users, we're waiting your impressions!

Repeating myself from a few pages back:

I beat it on superhuman using a Move and Nav controller. It's a really good implementation, but I really missed the twist reloading from Killzone 3. And the jab melee seems to kinda work whenever it wants to.

Also the iron sight feels very weird with the Move. They've buffered the movement so that it's really, really slow. Ideal for sniping because making super small movements is easy but mid-range firing feels almost impossible. Better off firing from the hip in that case.

Few niggles aside, it's really well supported. Playing with it didn't feel like I had to make compromises. Aiming is quick and effortless, button layout works well and the
wand glows orange, I love orange!
Felt much better than a pad in many ways. I'd say if you liked the Move in Killzone 3, you'll like it here too.

Hyuga

Banned
patsu said:
Just wait and see if you are unsure... -_-
You don't have to follow the crowd.

FPS have variations too. If you don't like old school shooters, then this one may not be for you though.
Nah, it's just because I played too many of them this gen ;(

Shtof

spats said:

I beat it on superhuman using a Move and Nav controller. It's a really good implementation, but I really missed the twist reloading from Killzone 3. And the jab melee seems to kinda work whenever it wants to.

Also the iron sight feels very weird with the Move. They've buffered the movement so that it's really, really slow. Ideal for sniping because making super small movements is easy but mid-range firing feels almost impossible. Better off firing from the hip in that case.

Few niggles aside, it's really well supported. Playing with it didn't feel like I had to make compromises. Aiming is quick and effortless, button layout works well and the
Felt much better than a pad in many ways. I'd say if you liked the Move in Killzone 3, you'll like it here too.
>jab melee
Not again, took them months to patch a button melee into Kz3. It's okay for SP, but in MP it's a serious disadvantage.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Nostalgia~4ever said:
RE4 is the best paced game ever

Yar. Definitely a shining example.

I will be interested in ya'll's thoughts on our pacing. It was a gigantic point of emphasis for us, we literally have the pacing charted out for the whole game from encounter to encounter, and we kept working on it over this past year to ensure it's the right blend.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Shtof said:
>jab melee
Not again, took them months to patch a button melee into Kz3. It's okay for SP, but in MP it's a serious disadvantage.

we tried to get it off of a gesture, but there are just not enough buttons for it, unfortunately.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jstevenson said:

I will be interested in ya'll's thoughts on our pacing. It was a gigantic point of emphasis for us, we literally have the pacing charted out for the whole game from encounter to encounter, and we kept working on it over this past year to ensure it's the right blend.
I'm trying to start doing real write ups after I finish games so I'll be sure to comment on the pacing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh I forgot the stupidest part of The Gathering Storm:
Hale shoots and kills the president

Y2Kev

Ashes1396 said:
i don't mind book spoilers... but... why does that happen exactly??
because
the president attempts to use daedalus to negotiate with the chimera. i.e. a truce. but then hale shoots the president, causes hell to break loose, and daedalus escapes again.

.la1n

jstevenson said:

Pacing was very much a strong point. You had enough down time to prepare for the next big set piece but not so much that you grew tired of the game. I did not enjoy the move implementation but it doesn't matter, I'm used to using a controller with my FPS games anyway. Great story, great graphics, wonderful pacing and voice acting - you guys nailed it. Thanks for taking fan criticism to heart while also crafting something unique based on your own personal goals. Favorite game this gen so far in the FPS genre. Bravo Insomniac.

Y2Kev

.la1n said:
Pacing was very much a strong point. You had enough down time to prepare for the next big set piece but not so much that you grew tired of the game. I did not enjoy the move implementation but it doesn't matter, I'm used to using a controller with my FPS games anyway. Great story, great graphics, wonderful pacing and voice acting - you guys nailed it. Thanks for taking fan criticism to heart while also crafting something unique based on your own personal goals. Favorite game this gen so far in the FPS genre. Bravo Insomniac.
HYPEEEEE

Nostalgia~4ever said:
Yeah, that and God of War II and Uncharted 2 did a phenomenal job of pacing.

I mean, sometimes I love a good *action* game that just throws overwhelming waves of action at you without regard for pacing, but for action-adventure games, those three are about as good as it gets when it comes to the pacing of it.

Cudder

Don't know if it was posted, but since you guys are talking about pacing/encounters, here's a tweet from Garnett Lee:

First few sections of Resistance 3 boast absolutely excellent encounter design

also, is the single player demo that's coming to the store the boat ride sequence that came with Battle LA?

Bradach

jstevenson said:
we tried to get it off of a gesture, but there are just not enough buttons for it, unfortunately.
How about twist to reload (which works brilliantly btw) and use the reload button for melee.

Y2Kev

Cudder said:
Don't know if it was posted, but since you guys are talking about pacing/encounters, here's a tweet from Garnett Lee:

also, is the single player demo that's coming to the store the boat ride sequence that came with Battle LA?
It's Haven.

Also, if Garnett likes it after he hated R2, it is good news.

Ashes

Banned
.la1n said:

Seriously? You're not helping. You do realise the game comes out on Friday. Right? Right? That's a whole week. And half a week after this lot! :(

Nostalgia~4ever said:

Is it even possible to make a game like that anymore? It would probably be prohibitively expensive. It took me like 20 hours and there wasn't a moment of downtime and you were doing or seeing something new every 2 minutes. I don't think we'll ever see another game like that.

Ashes

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Is it even possible to make a game like that anymore? It would probably be prohibitively expensive. It took me like 20 hours and there wasn't a moment of downtime and you were doing or seeing something new every 2 minutes. I don't think we'll ever see another game like that.

Siren was pretty good. Pacing wise. Not god tier, the episodes kept me in touch the whole time.

Cudder

Y2Kev said:
It's Haven.

Also, if Garnett likes it after he hated R2, it is good news.
So it's different then? I really haven't been keeping up with R3 news at all, but seeing this thread and playing the beta got me a little hyped. Still, I'm about to spend so much money this quarter on games I'm forcing myself to withhold getting R3 for a while. Sorry jstevenson :(

Ah, heck, I was thinking of holding out for the first price drop, but screw it; just ordered this on Amazon. I love Insomniac too much, and this game looks like it's getting everything right.

Y2Kev

Cudder said:
So it's different then? I really haven't been keeping up with R3 news at all, but seeing this thread and playing the beta got me a little hyped. Still, I'm about to spend so much money this quarter on games I'm forcing myself to withhold getting R3 for a while. Sorry jstevenson :(
It's different.

Ashes

Banned
Cudder said:

Then I would stay out of this thread. To clarify what I mean, this is like any other game pre-release thread, a bit of a roller-coaster, some people like it, some people don't, some people worrying about that, some people not caring about that, ups and downs basically, but I think, from where I'm standing, the ride is still *generally speaking* going up.

Now it may be that R2 is making this game shine, but I think for me, it seems to me, people are kinda liking this game a bit. Fingers crossed!

badcrumble said:
Ah, heck, I was thinking of holding out for the first price drop, but screw it; just ordered this on Amazon. I love Insomniac too much, and this game looks like it's getting everything right.

Ain't no shame. I caved when I found out about the reversible covers.
for shame! I know.

And I even chanced my luck with the old man at the market. He sort of implied that he had it. "You'll just have to come back next week mate," he says with a smirk.

I don't get it; if he had it, why didn't he just sell it. Its what he normally does. I think he sold out of the five or ten measly copies he had in stock. or something.

Thrakier

spats said:

So you weren't bothered by the perspective at all? It looks so stupid in those videos. :/

.la1n said:
Damn you for making the wait harder :p

spats

Thrakier said:
So you weren't bothered by the perspective at all? It looks so stupid in those videos. :/

Do you mean the field of view or the angle of the gun? Nothing really jumped out at me as looking wrong.

patsu

.la1n said:

spats said:
I can agree with that.

Cudder said:

Wow, hmph, looks like Sony will get Insomniac to consider Resistane 4 ? 8^P

patsu

Thrakier said:

I am not a fan of Move FPS. Played KZ3 and MAG with Move. Felt really awkward at the beginning, got used to it after about 3 months. I can play with DS3 or Move readily now, but much prefer DS3 for FPS.

I don't feel that the R3's gun perspective is any better or worse than MAG or KZ3 in the grand scheme of things. I usually focus on the cross hair.

The R3 preview allows us to tweak the Move button mapping though. Now that is something that should be shared with the rest of the world. I don't care if it breaks Sharpshooter compatibility or some TRCs.

Thrakier

spats said:
Do you mean the field of view or the angle of the gun? Nothing really jumped out at me as looking wrong.

The angle of the gun. Half of the gun model is missing. They just pushed it to the edge but kept the original FOV. So that basically means...yeah, it makes no sense. In relation to capellis virtual physical body it makes no sense that he's holding the gun like that while his eyes are still in the middle. It really bothers me.

delta25

Banned
Thrakier said:
The angle of the gun. Half of the gun model is missing. They just pushed it to the edge but kept the original FOV. So that basically means...yeah, it makes no sense. In relation to capellis virtual physical body it makes no sense that he's holding the gun like that while his eyes are still in the middle. It really bothers me.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything about R3 that you do like?

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:

If my memory serves me right, they talk about it in the full moon podcast (or perhaps the commentary in the video playthrough they did?). J.S or somebody else can fill in the details, but they had a specific insomniac in charge, and he did the fov part from the ground up.

Experimented etc to get all of that perfect. I really like it in the demo. I honestly do.

But obviously, I haven't tested the move controls yet.

Thrakier

Ashes1396 said:
If my memory serves me right, they talk about it in the full moon podcast (or perhaps the commentary in the video playthrough they did?). J.S or somebody else can fill in the details, but they had a specific insomniac in charge, and he did the fov part from the ground up.

Experimented etc to get all of that perfect. I really like it in the demo. I honestly do.

But obviously, I haven't tested the move controls yet.

I'm fine with the FOV, that's not the problem. The problem is that they have the same FOV for two completly different weapon placements.

Shtof

Bradach said:
How about twist to reload (which works brilliantly btw) and use the reload button for melee.
Good point. Melee as a gesture is the worst case. Melee should be on the move button.

Loudninja

UNCyrus said:
Finished the campaign. It's one of those games that right when you finish it, you want to start it all over again.
Thats good so how you like, no story spoliers or anything like that please.Guys don't be afraid to post impressions just don't spoil anything or I will destroy you :)

Top Bottom