• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gr1mLock said:
Parts of this game are somewhat reminiscent of HL2 oddly...(so far anyway)

Ahhhh man, that's very high praise, RFoM had HL undertones also which I loved, I need to play this game naow!

highrider

Banned
BobTheFork said:
dude, your avatar... I keep thinking you are beatbox. I'll have to say yeah having SEEN the game in development a few months ago they are blowing my expectations away. I remember talking to one of the devs before community day and he was in the middle of trying to create the
corn field segment
. It's crazy how they have found the heart of the series once more and it all came together really well.

edit: Patsu lol, thanks. That's why I'm barely online anymore. I'm going to have more time in a few weeks but this is my first job ever outside of the restaurant business and it's been weird. I keep getting these big-ass checks and I can't use lol. In an few months i'll only have the student loans left and then it's time to buy an arcade cabinet!!!!!!!

awesome. that's great you got to be involved in the development stages. enjoy the big checks!

Holy shit, you guys talking about the campaign are getting me so excited. R1 is still one of my favorite shooter campaigns, and you are telling me it is even better?! Can't wait to go pick this up tomorrow.

The campaign is pretty damn good so far. I also like the weather effects and all of the dust, particles, etc. flying. I'm recommending this to a lot of people.

So I was the crazy guy who made that thread saying R1 is one of the best shooters this gen. Well R3 has just surpassed that. Maybe in two years I'll make one regarding R3 so it sends GAF into an uproar again. =P

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
lowrider007 said:
Ahhhh man, that's very high praise, RFoM had HL undertones also which I loved, I need to play this game naow!

I can literally almost directly compare a few scenarios so far. The variety and the pace in just the first few hours so far is outstanding.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Square Triangle said:
So I was the crazy guy who made that thread saying R1 is one of the best shooters this gen. Well R3 has just surpassed that. Maybe in two years I'll make one regarding R3 so it sends GAF into an uproar again. =P

I bought R1 with my ps3 expecting a generic shooter and its still to this day one of my top 5 fps experiences

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't understand people that like R2's coop. It's repetitive, mindless grinding. Go play a F2P MMO and leave online campaign coop to me plz

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
JB1981 said:
please tell me you guys are going to fix the lag hitches in multilplayer. please.

yup, partial fix for that is done, and more is on the way. 1.02 should improve some of it. it's a top priority issue still to ensure it's resolved

highrider

Banned
for some reason the juxtaposition of a gritty, hopeless environment combined with the more arcade feel of upgrading weapons, health vials and the weapon wheel.. it just works.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
All I can say is wow. What a huge step over the first two games. I think people really need to pop those in for comparison cuz they absolutely blew them away. They finally delivered audio and visuals that feel unique and special. The gameplay simply feels great and the way it's presented is a huge step forward. It feels as if Insomniac has really grown as a developer.

JB1981

jstevenson said:
yup, partial fix for that is done, and more is on the way. 1.02 should improve some of it. it's a top priority issue still to ensure it's resolved

its odd because the SP campaign kind of does the same thing. seems like a streaming issue or something. at least that's the kind of effect you get when you lag hitch

tanod

when is my burrito
Gr1mLock said:
Parts of this game are somewhat reminiscent of HL2 oddly...(so far anyway)

Sounds like exactly why I liked the first one. I always thought the MP of R1 felt like Quake 3 and liked that R1 felt like an arcadey PC shooter.

Waiting to see more opinions of the R1 crew. I had some fun trying out the beta last night. Felt a lot closer to R1 than to R2 but I wish the movement speed was upped a bit more. I was thinking I'd be skipping over an Insomniac release which I haven't done since I discovered Ratchet and Clank on PS2. I'm being pulled back.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Can anyone tell me if I'll get any Hale story payoff without spoiling it?

is that even POSSIBLE

I think the bigger spoiler would be even knowing if something like that is in the game.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Up to the boat level so far. If the first hour is any indication of the remainder of the game, it is not wise to play if you have a heart condition.

Applesauce said:
Up to the boat level so far. If the first hour is any indication of the remainder of the game, it is not wise to play if you have a heart condition.

I wish I could go back in time and have Sony marketing put this quote on the back of the box.

JB1981

so yea i just went 35-5, got combat armor twice on human side, didn't even play as chimera. newcomers are not going to have a lot of fun in the early going. hope people actually stick with the MP, can see them getting really frustrated. the prison map looks great, btw. great lighting. and seaside got another layer of polish. but that hitching man. i reallly hope that is fixed, it's pretty much a dealbreaker.

zlatko

Banned
Excited to play mine on Friday. I've said a few times that the beta wasn't my thing, but the single player looks too damn good to pass up.

Flunkie

Banned
JB1981 said:
so yea i just went 35-5, got combat armor twice on human side, didn't even play as chimera. newcomers are not going to have a lot of fun in the early going. hope people actually stick with the MP, can see them getting really frustrated. the prison map looks great, btw. great lighting. and seaside got another layer of polish. but that hitching man. i reallly hope that is fixed, it's pretty much a dealbreaker.
I keep seeing your posts in this thread and I have to refrain from going out and buying the damn game right now.

U2NUMB

Damn I am sure enjoying the campaign. Really great vibe and overall it just flows well so far. Very happy I picked up this game. Dare I say this is the vibe and game I wanted out of Homefront!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
tanod said:
Sounds like exactly why I liked the first one. I always thought the MP of R1 felt like Quake 3 and liked that R1 felt like an arcadey PC shooter.

Waiting to see more opinions of the R1 crew. I had some fun trying out the beta last night. Felt a lot closer to R1 than to R2 but I wish the movement speed was upped a bit more. I was thinking I'd be skipping over an Insomniac release which I haven't done since I discovered Ratchet and Clank on PS2. I'm being pulled back.

I cant speak about the MP because honestly i didnt really like the beta much. Single player so far is stellar.

Triz

I haven't touched the online, but the campaign is spectacular. A little pissed I only rented but I just didn't jive with the beta experience. Bravo Insomniac.

Cudder

After finishing the game earlier today, here are some thoughts..

I wish the health system was like R1. I know you can unlock that mode, but I wish it was like that from the get go. R1's health system had the best of both worlds (the health pack/regen worlds)

I agree with whoever said some parts are reminiscent of Half Life 2. There's a section in the game that is very similar to the
Ravenholm
section in HL2.

The Atomizer is fuck awesome.

The ending: If this is really the end of the Resistance series (didn't someone say that?) then I think it could have been concluded better.
Ok, so he destroyed the tower, got back to his family, and the 10% of the worlds population can now live again...annnnd? Ending it right when Joe gets back to his family felt like a cop out. I wanted to know what happened beyond that. An epilogue of sorts. Also, I didn't really like that the final level had the exact same goal as the final levels in the previous games (Destroy the tower). But it was still alright.

Like I said before, the mid-game is the high point. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Thank Christ there is no more Competitive trophies. I platinumed R2 but I'll be damned if I was going to do that again in this game given there were similar trophies. I like how most of the are bronze just for trying shit with the weapons.

The particle/weather effects are fuck awesome, like seriously.

Probably a few more things I'm forgetting, will post again later!

Best FPS I have played this year; maybe in a couple of years, and I'm only at Chapter 10. Would love to play some of these setpieces co-op, but none of my friends are playing it currently. And sub HD be damned, I love the look of this game, very gritty and visceral.

I tried playing this game in 3d and while it looked amazing I just couldnt stand it being darker and crappy when moving the camera around too quickly....one day 3d glasses...one day I will actually use you all throughout an entire game...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit at Chapters 13 and 14.
Watching the Widowmaker stampede during the storm was one of the most memorable scenes I've ever seen in a game. The gladiator battle was really unexpected and really twisted, in a good way. Fighting the Wardens was not a direction that I expected the game to take but it's definitely been a cool change.
This game just keeps getting better and better. Absolutely phenomenal. Insomniac really outdid themselves.

Triz said:
I haven't touched the online, but the campaign is spectacular. A little pissed I only rented but I just didn't jive with the beta experience. Bravo Insomniac.
I haven't heard anyone say that about any game in a long time. Go IG!

Thoroughly loved this game.

Huge Improvement in terms of design and fluidity. Insomniac did an excellent job in improving the overall gameplay. Have yet to try the multiplayer but I am hoping for a similar experience.

slider

Wow, positivity (and I know GAF hates everything).

I'd told myself I wasn't buying any more games until my backlog was cleared. Well that clearly isn't going to happen any time soon and, despite buying but not completing R2, I'm gonna have to get this sucker.

The chimeran death animations are really good too. I remember popping the first few meras and seeing them flail and see hoses flying around. The early voice work is really great as well.

Really digging the multi right now. Has a better feel than the beta did. Though, it does feel kind of laggy at some points. I hope they iron out the issues soon. I'm not that far in the campaign yet, but I'm pretty pleased with my purchase so far.

dralla

I got up to Ch 13 and will probably finish the rest tomorrow. Way way way better than R2 and R1. The only complaints I have are R1 has better weapons [but the Atomizer is fuckin amazing in campaign], Capelli doesn't talk in-game for some reason, and some of the areas tend to drag on. But everything else is such a big leap over the previous games.

I just wanted to confirm whether Superhuman unlocks after 1 playthrough on Normal? I've been playing on Hard, but I have no shame in reducing difficulty temporarily if I get stuck somewhere.

About a week ago I read somebody say that you have to play the campaign twice to unlock it, but I didn't think that made sense, and I haven't heard such a thing since then.

patsu

... Patch 1.0.1 downloaded and installed in 8 minutes from my office network. :cool:

[Comics presentation lasted 24% of game install]

[Game install continued for another 5 minutes]

[Put on 3D glasses. Shift gear into "Drive"]

Let's gooooooooooooooooooooo !

Top Bottom