• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Chapter 11 now.... the atmosphere and the feelings really takes me back to the first year of the PS3 with R1, so amazing !

I hope I'm not even 50% of the game because this is just awesome and I don't want it to finish .

Grisby

U2NUMB said:
Damn I am sure enjoying the campaign. Really great vibe and overall it just flows well so far. Very happy I picked up this game. Dare I say this is the vibe and game I wanted out of Homefront!

Gonna start playing again in a minute but wanted to say I had this thought too. I enjoyed Homefront alright but this game (ha 2 levels in) is making me feel that desperation, that dismay of giving up.

VanWinkle

Man, I need to get this. I'm short on cash so I wasn't able to pick it up today, but I'm definitely going to at the end of the month.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
DIrtyWeasel said:
I just wanted to confirm whether Superhuman unlocks after 1 playthrough on Normal? I've been playing on Hard, but I have no shame in reducing difficulty temporarily if I get stuck somewhere.

About a week ago I read somebody say that you have to play the campaign twice to unlock it, but I didn't think that made sense, and I haven't heard such a thing since then.

It unlocks on the first one? Oh dammit, I wanted to play it the first time with my buddy on Superhuman.

dralla

Im playing on Hard and have only died a few times. I would highly suggest starting on Hard. They should've went Bungie and said THIS IS THE WAY RESISTANCE IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED on the difficulty

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
Im playing on Hard and have only died a few times. I would highly suggest starting on Hard
Thank you

theBishop

Banned
dralla said:
Im playing on Hard and have only died a few times. I would highly suggest starting on Hard. They should've went Bungie and said THIS IS THE WAY RESISTANCE IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED on the difficulty

There's a couple spots where the checkpoints are unforgiving, but I agree. If I had played easier, it would've been a breeze.

bwahhhhh

God damn, huge turnaround from that thread a couple weeks ago where so many were saying IG should shelve Resistance. I don't play much MP, so it's good to hear good things about the campaign. Wasn't planning on picking this up so soon, but I might now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished Chapter 16.
Blowing up the Magnum round in Mick's head was brutal. Bastard had it coming though. The first view of NYC is gorgeous.
Calling it a night for now. I'll finish up after work tomorrow. The game is incredibly paced and has honestly been constantly surprising, which is something I can say for very few FPS lately.

This game made a pretty poor first impression. It's blurry and muddy with lo-res textures everywhere. Didn't take long to win me over though. Once I got out into the town I fell in love with the art direction here. R1 had decently doomy atmosphere, but it was a bit bland at times and I felt like they could have done a lot more to make the whole post-alien-invasion premise feel more believable and intense... R2 totally failed to build on it, but this game really nails the atmosphere and lays it on THICK. I love the little details like the broken down, overgrown Stalker laying on the side of the street. Says a lot about the situation you're in.

Gameplay feels fast and solid. I don't have enough weapons yet to tell if this game plays as good as the first, but so far so good.

But the main thing for me is the atmosphere. It's really outstanding, as good as it gets.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So everyone keeps saying the atmosphere in this is good, like in FoM... sooooo good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yoshichan said:
So everyone keeps saying the atmosphere in this is good, like in FoM... sooooo good.
The atmosphere is way better than in FoM. In fact, it's better than most games out today.

Yoshichan

RoboPlato said:
The atmosphere is way better than in FoM. In fact, it's better than most games out today.
You're not helping my hype man...

I'm quite interested in picking this up soon. Are the first two games required playthroughs or can I just dive straight into this without any worries?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TomcatTheLion said:
I'm quite interested in picking this up soon. Are the first two games required playthroughs or can I just dive straight into this without any worries?
You should probably read the story of the first two on Wikipedia or something first. Other than that you'll be fine without having played the others.

Kambing

Just got to the boat level, had to stop because i have a quiz tomorrow in Biology -_-

So far my brief impressions:

Pro

- IMO graphics look waaaay better than MP.
- Atmosphere and effects are pretty crazy.
- Smooth ass frame-rate despite some huge ass explosions.
- First level was really detailed, ie there was a lot of geometry and things on screen.
- Loving the art style. Beautiful.
- Weapon introduction/tutorial is awesome.
- Enemy explosion effect is sick.
- Weapon variety is some good shit. Love me that weapon wheel.

Con

- Wish the animated intro that played during installation was longer, it was kind of short
- Kind of blurry. Sucks that the game is subHD. I know i have been spoiled by the PC i recently built but damn, what i would give to see this game run at 1080p, 60fps, AA/AFx16 etc etc.

Really feel like the PS3 held back on Insomniac's vision of what they wanted the game to look like. Well, back to studying...

My check didnt clear today so I didnt get to buy this game. From all of the impressions I am missing out!

Oh well, I am stuck running a major incident tonight anyway but I would have loved to play for a couple of hours inbetween my reconvene's :/

Looks like IG did a great job, congrats JStevenson. Can't wait to throw $60 your way ;)

Got up to Chapter 8 today. Just fantastic. Best first person shooter I've played this year, which a lot of that is due to the phenomenal art direction and silky smooth controls.

Shooting here is just so fucking fun.

JSTEVENSON! Pass my congrats along to the team, I'm having a ton of fun. Gonna try to parse out over a few days.

Duffyside

Banned
So... worst-reviewed Resistance is the best? Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it looks that way to me. Just got back from walking to Target and buying myself a copy.

think im gonna buy a copy tomorrow when i turn my rental in. was going to speed run it but this game is truly impressive. The art design and atmosphere are just brilliant. I was starting to doubt IG, but no longer.

Loudninja

Thanks guys. :)

fuzzyreactor said:
think im gonna buy a copy tomorrow when i turn my rental in. was going to speed run it but this game is truly impressive. The art design and atmosphere are just brilliant. I was starting to doubt IG, but no longer.
Nice!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I couldn't help myself and downloaded the patch for multiplayer goodness. The Carbine is nice and all, but I miss the Bullseye and health beacon :(

Cudder

fuzzyreactor said:
speaking of carbine, when do you get it in the campaign? i have like 10 guns and no carbine

:(
on the
train

Anyways, I'm enjoying the multiplayer but holy shit it is SO. FUCKING. CHOPPY. at least in team games. Like half the time I just drop dead and a second after I do I'll hear the gunshots/explosion that killed me. The game has some serious audio glitches online, where it'll be completely silent when there's a shit ton of stuff going on.

If this keeps up I don't know how much longer I'll stay with the competitive portion of the game.

LEGGZZZZ

There's definitely still some bugs, got stuck twice on the post game scoreboard screen, and played a game of breach with indestructible reactors :/

Ashes

Banned
duffyside said:
So... worst-reviewed Resistance is the best? Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it looks that way to me. Just got back from walking to Target and buying myself a copy.

Insomniac listened to the critics after R1>> we got R2> higher metacritic, and more sales perhaps but gaf love wasn't there.

Insomniac listened to the FANS of the series>> we got R3> Lower Metacritic, weird, considering they are all saying its the best in the series, but judging by this thread, they got their groove back!.

Now some of us need our copy delivered.

dralla

Scores are all relative to when a game is released. I think a lot of reviewers have FPS fatigue and are looking for more 'innovation'. Even though I think most reviewers are looking specifically at the mechanics, which are similar to what is out there, I think big picture, with the emphasis on atmosphere and story, it does feel different than military shooter 625

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Damn, some crazy SP praise here. Will make this work day unbearable, NEED MY COPY TO ARRIVE TODAY.
Where'd you order it from?

gibration

Well I sent an email to BestBuy about not getting my pre-order bonus. If I don't get a reply with a code ima be fucking pissed.

HYDE

Banned
This bullshit with Sony exclusives is getting bullshittier by the month:

Killzone 3 84
Infamous 2 83
Resistance 3 83

Whatever... All three are must owns and reviewers need to quit sucking cock.

Let me guess Uncharted 3 84.

Den_John

Had a weird bug in the mp last night, I was inside a Bullseye.

zobym.jpg

pelican

HYDE said:

Killzone 3 84
Infamous 2 83
Resistance 3 83

I wouldn't worry.

It is fairly obvious that Sony has the stronger exclusives.

As much as I love/loved Halo it is getting a bit tired now. Giving them GOW.

Ashes

Banned
dralla said:
Scores are all relative to when a game is released. I think a lot of reviewers have FPS fatigue and are looking for more 'innovation'. Even though I think most reviewers are looking specifically at the mechanics, which are similar to what is out there, I think big picture, with the emphasis on atmosphere and story, it does feel different than military shooter 625

You're right pretty much, though it is little bewildering how often mega-blockbuster top tier games seem to work down from an A, and others have to work up to A.

I think Dead Space 2 has pretty much out 'resident eviled' Resident evil. And its probably the best of its type of game. By some margin. And then you have MW2 near around the 100 mark.

Besides stuff like move+3d aren't as innovative as... well I'm not sure what to compare it to. What innovation are you expecting from the fall shooters? Awesome games will get awesome reviews; even if its the same game reiterated for a new storyline. MW3, I'm looking at you. :p <3COD4

btw I've been reading quite a few reviews, cause that's all I can do now, and they aren't talking about the FOV. Its so much more in your face. It's the first thing I noticed when playing the demo.

Did anyone else try the move controller? There seems to be something not quite right with the iron sight movement. It's sort of got a mind of its own and behaves very differently to firing from the hip.

I'll probably just stick with the dualshock till my next playthough. Hopefully it'll get fixed in a patch.

Loving the game though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
HYDE said:

Killzone 3 84
Infamous 2 83
Resistance 3 83

Youre buying the game for yourself at the end of the day. Who gives it a shit what the reviewers think.

Got the game all hyped to play and shiiiiii you know, you know, put that bitch all up in my ps3's vagina like yeah dawg get some gettttttttttttt someeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and I'm all ohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh, I start the sexy little thing, go through the cute little PSMove warning's and it takes me back to the xmb and gives me the biggest cock block/blue balls combo I have ever seen. A 656mb Download on day one. My dick shriveled up so fast. Now most of gaf is all
yao-meme.png

come on guy just download it, we all have godly internet that you wish you had and I'm here with
1470202582.png

all beat down clinching my nuts because they hurt so bad. So now I gotta wait 160 minutes before I can get all ectoplasmy(ttp://sputnikmusic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ectoplasmarsh.jpg nsfwish) over my baby resistance. :(

Top Bottom