• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Raonak

Banned
Melchiah said:

OMG. That room looks so creepy/uncomfortable.

glaurung said:
No, lung cancer was a pre-order goodie.

Lung cancer doesn't explain the skull.... unless

EZdzz.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sir... how do you take ladies home with that kind of room?

Melchiah

Yoshichan said:
Sir... how do you take ladies home with that kind of room?

I already have one, and she likes it here. =) And it never was a problem before she was around. Quite the contrary actually. ;) But I think that's enough of derailing the thread.

I post my edit here as well, as I was quite slow to edit my earlier post.

I love the minimalistic covers. All the labels and logos (excluding PS3, Insomniac and PlayStation Network) are on the plastic sheet, that covers the steelbook, but there's none in the steelbook itself. Love the combination of rusty orange and light brown colors, and the vinyl looking disc. Just perfect!

addyb

madmackem said:
I hate you all, fuck the uk and its shitty friday release days argggghhhhhh.

Why not order it online and get it a day earlier? Mines coming tomorrow from ***********

Squishy

Quick question about the online pass: I live in Australia and will be buying a PAL copy of the game, however, I use a US PSN account. Are the codes linked to an individual account or to the PS3? Would I even be able to activate a Australian code on a US account?

I just want to make sure, since I've been screwed over in the past with DLC codes that don't activate, then say that they have already been used when I try it on another account.

Squishy said:
Quick question about the online pass: Would I even be able to activate a Australian code on a US account?

No.

Squishy said:
I live in Australia and will be buying a PAL copy of the game, however, I use a US PSN account. Are the codes linked to an individual account or to the PS3?

If Mortal Kombat is any indication, it links to the console.

Raonak

Banned
Squishy said:
Quick question about the online pass: I live in Australia and will be buying a PAL copy of the game, however, I use a US PSN account. Are the codes linked to an individual account or to the PS3? Would I even be able to activate a Australian code on a US account?

Why would you use a US one as your main?

It should work if you have an AUS account and redeem it via that.

The first thing I did when I started up the campaign was turn off camera acceleration. I don't know why that was defaulted to on but it felt awful to me and the game feels great now that I've disabled it. I'm really glad Insomniac gave me that option.

I'm through Chapter 7 so far and I must say, I'm really enjoying it. The game is incredibly atmospheric and the visuals have been surprisingly effective throughout. I love all of the cool visual effects in the game such as the dust blowing in the wind and the moving trees.

My favorite part of the campaign so far was the (Chapter 7 spoiler)
section where you had to defend the pub. My adrenaline was pumping towards the end because they started to breach our defenses and rush into the pub. It was really good stuff.

I played multiplayer for an hour or so and while I did find it fairly fun I still feel like the game is just too choppy. I can't tell if it's lag spikes, framerate drops, or something else, but it can be really jarring at times and it makes staying alive much more difficult than it should be. Going from the MP to the smooth campaign is really eye-opening in that regard.

Raonak

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
Cheaper games? :p

But yeah if you don't have an Aussie account just make one and redeem on that.

I would just make a US account to buy stuff. I had a US one as my main, but swapped once for regional filtering in SSHD leaderboards.

addyb

madmackem said:
Got trade at game mate or i would have i normally do order online.

Ahh no worries. Im off friday so can get a couple of hours in thursday night and then give it a good session on Friday. Looking forward to playing it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The intro to this game is incredible. You really get the sense that they live in fear of the chimera, and every lost man is like a really big deal.

Yeah, it's subhd, but it is also SO packed with detail. How awesome does the cornfield area look???

I got emailed a Air Fuel Grenade code from Amazon 3 hours ago, but isn't working for me... at least not yet. I'll try again later.

Kind of silly that this grenade type is only available via pre-order, but oh well, maybe it'll make me feel special when playing co-op with people who don't have it.

Melchiah

F**K! I just checked, and you can't play the local co-op with a vertically splitted screen. That's a HUGE negative point for me, especially as I had been eagerly waiting to play the campaign with a friend like in good old RFoM times. The horizontally divided screen totally gimps the experience as far as I'm concerned. =(

DIrtyWeasel said:
I got emailed a Air Fuel Grenade code from Amazon 3 hours ago, but isn't working for me... at least not yet. I'll try again later.

Kind of silly that this grenade type is only available via pre-order, but oh well, maybe it'll make me feel special when playing co-op with people who don't have it.

Wait a minute....is that amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

I pre-ordered @ uk.com and I can't remember the air fuel grenade being a pre-order bonus

Melchiah said:
F**K! I just checked, and you can't play the local co-op with a vertically splitted screen. That's a HUGE negative point for me, especially as I had been eagerly waiting to play the campaign with a friend like in good old RFoM times. The horizontally divided screen totally gimps the experience as far as I'm concerned. =(

I guess its more of a horizontal shooter than a vertical one.

Melchiah

KennyLinder said:
I guess its more of a horizontal shooter than a vertical one.

Heh. I hope, even if it's probably not going to happen, that a vertically divided split screen would be added later on as a patch. How about it Mr. Stevenson? =)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Played yesterday until 2.30 at night because I felt "just this bit more and then to bed". Kind of like Civilization. I really like this game.

The art style is nice, weapons feel excellent and are quality Insomniac freaky style stuff. Seconday shots are so goooooood.

There seems to be some small dips in the gameplay or cutsenses designs once in a while but nothing gamebreaking e.g.
the train scene with the human gang. Felt like it was unnecessary and the shooting in that part was awkward. They guys took the magnum shots like it was nothing and it felt shooting at the jeeps was unnecessary as well as they drove to their deaths all the time. Give me a big mounted gun for a change and let me use that instead of the basic stuff.
And then there was that cutscene/carry the core strangeness. I didn't notice at first that I am carrying the core, so running after a dude shooting at some nice monsters felt off putting. I wanted to shoot them too. Then the roles reversed and it was a bit nicer. But still that earlier part was not great. Did not feel any pressure or scared. Just scripted nonsense.

Excellent locations in the game and I enjoyed them a lot but sometimes a cool cutscene cuts away too soon and you can't enjoy it anymore. Let me savour some nicely done graphics like the camera through the hole in the cloud thingy.

Oh, and that ladder animation. I agree. It looks rushed, but I don't care as the game is fun to play regardless.

Y2Kev said:
The intro to this game is incredible. You really get the sense that they live in fear of the chimera, and every lost man is like a really big deal.

Yeah, it's subhd, but it is also SO packed with detail. How awesome does the cornfield area look???
I completely agree. I'll take the highly detailed world of R3 over a less-detailed FPS with a slightly higher resolution any day.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just up to chapter 7 so far, but I have to mention that soundtrack is fantastic.
That's definitely one of the biggest changes. The music in the first two games was, quite frankly, among the most generic and dull I've heard this gen. Added absolutely nothing to the experience and, perhaps, even ruined the atmosphere at times. Really disliked all of the music.

Resistance 3 is a huge step up in that regard. The soundscape they've crafted is so much more immersive this time around. The audio finally paints a landscape of horror and desperation.

The visuals are even better. The resolution is low and the framerate could be smoother, but the attention to detail is really impressive. The first two games had a very boxy, pieced together appearance. Objects never gelled within the world and building interiors looked about as plain and empty as you could get. R3 really ties everything together and creates a landscape full of detail with proper lighting and shadows. I'm sure these maps required significantly more time to create than anything in the first two titles.

I'm also thrilled that motion blur has been added after it was lacking in the boat demo. While it doesn't seem to apply to objects (ala Uncharted 2 or God of War 3), it is applied to character movement and really improves the appearance of the game while playing. The only complaint I have with the visuals involves the ladder climbing animations. So stiff and terrible in comparison to everything else going on.

george_us

Only played for a couple of hours last night but this game is shockingly good. One thing I love is that it actually FEELS like you're in the 1950s taking on an alien horde, which is something the last couple of games missed.

addyb

CozMick said:
You order online? does yours say unshipped?

I heard a few peoples orders from game are stuck at "unshipped" id go with shopto and it will be dispatched today!

Is weird though because ive ordered from game a few times and always got the game 1 day before official release day.

SaitoH

dark10x said:
That's definitely one of the biggest changes. The music in the first two games was, quite frankly, among the most generic and dull I've heard this gen. Added absolutely nothing to the experience and, perhaps, even ruined the atmosphere at times. Really disliked all of the music.

Resistance 3 is a huge step up in that regard. The soundscape they've crafted is so much more immersive this time around. The audio finally paints a landscape of horror and desperation.

The visuals are even better. The resolution is low and the framerate could be smoother, but the attention to detail is really impressive. The first two games had a very boxy, pieced together appearance. Objects never gelled within the world and building interiors looked about as plain and empty as you could get. R3 really ties everything together and creates a landscape full of detail with proper lighting and shadows. I'm sure these maps required significantly more time to create than anything in the first two titles.

I'm also thrilled that motion blur has been added after it was lacking in the boat demo. While it doesn't seem to apply to objects (ala Uncharted 2 or God of War 3), it is applied to character movement and really improves the appearance of the game while playing. The only complaint I have with the visuals involves the ladder climbing animations. So stiff and terrible in comparison to everything else going on.

Minor complaints like the janky ladder animation aside, the change to a three year development cycle has definitely proven its worth.

During the chapter 6 fight in the warehouse, the music sounded similiar to God of War. hah Fit the scene perfectly though.

Don't know what's going on with GAME, they've changed the whole site and there's a notice up on the Ordering and Payment page saying they're working to make pre-orders "visible"

Cornbread78

So, I may have missed it, any idea why the Hell they decided to remove clan support and a better way to party up outside of your PSN friends list? Really really sucks, when you are limited to 100 PSN spots.

It's like, great...thanks for the Text chat for 15 seconds between matches, but wait.. you removed clan rosters.... WTF Insomniac.

What really baffles me after playing the first 7 chapters is this line from the Game Informer review describing the graphics:

Bland environments that don’t capture the atmosphere of the first game or the scale of Resistance 2’s larger battles
Did they play a different game than me?

dark10x

The_Darkest_Red said:
What really baffles me after playing the first 7 chapters is this line from the Game Informer review describing the graphics:

Did they play a different game than me?
Yeah, I have no idea where that comment is coming from. The atmosphere, scale, and quality of the environments here are infinitely better than the first two games combined.

dark10x said:
Yeah, I have no idea where that comment is coming from. The atmosphere, scale, and quality of the environments here are infinitely better than the first two games combined.
I know... not to belabor the point or anything but this is also in the review:

none of the areas have a distinct visual quality outside of the occasional landmark like the Gateway Arch. It’s disappointing to see such bland environments from the same developer that created the vibrant worlds of Spyro the Dragon, the imaginative and varied planets of Ratchet & Clank, and the initially intriguing locales of Resistance: Fall of Man.
I understand that opinions differ and everything but this just seems completely bizarre to me. Every location I've seen so far in R3 is incredibly detailed and interesting, especially compared to anything from R:FoM.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Day 1 patch... 600+ MB to DL on slow-ass PSN.

Yay. I'm not even going to touch the mp. Off to a good start here.

Cheech

OK, so, thanks to a fellow GAF reader I brought home Resistance 3 and SOCOM 4 as part of Best Buy's deal this week.

I fire up SOCOM first, and my 40 gig purchased-in-2007 PS3 sounds like a freaking shop vac. Just insanely loud. Now, I'd had this problem with LA Noire (the last game I played), but I was hoping it was something to do with the game stressing the hardware harder than usual. But, no.

For some crazy reason, I remembered I had some leftover Arctic Silver from my PC build I did months ago, and thought HEY. Let's just rip this bad boy open and see what's what. As soon as I got to the GPU/CPU, the problem became obvious:

IMG00033-20110906-2210.jpg

Carefully removed that gooey dried up mess with some Goo Gone and damp paper towels, then applied a thin (HEAR THAT SONY! THIN!!!!) layer of Arctic Silver. I even replaced the CR2032 battery while I had the thing open, so when I sell this PS3 for $20 like 5 years down the road, it will still keep the time.

Buttoned it all back up. Only had 3 leftover screws (well 4, if you count the torx security screw which I'm intentionally not putting back in), which considering this whole process took me 90 minutes, I was pleased with. It fired back up, but I had to do the video reset process because it was pissy about something or other (probably removing the battery), so initially I got no video. Anyway, I reset the time to today from 2005 and I'm ready to game again tonight, but without all the racket. The re-pasted PS3 isn't quite as quiet as it was when new, but that giant fan assembly is still 4 years old. That said, I now can't hear it over my projector fan, which is more than I can say for my (much newer) Xbox 360 slim.

As for the games themselves, I actually loved the two rounds of SOCOM's multi I sampled before I couldn't take my PS3's racket anymore. It was a good blend of old school SOCOM and CoD. I was pleased. And like the original SOCOM, I will never bother firing up the campaign.

Resistance 3 is an ugly, nasty looking game. I made it to chapter 3, and the graphics were *rough*. However, the gameplay was passable, and I've always liked the Resistance story which is the main draw for me. Haven't tried the multiplayer quite yet.

Combined with Gears 3, this lot should get me through September just fine. Assuming I didn't make a mistake and my PS3 doesn't burn my house down. Heh.

theBishop

Banned
dralla said:
I got up to Ch 13 and will probably finish the rest tomorrow. Way way way better than R2 and R1. The only complaints I have are R1 has better weapons [but the Atomizer is fuckin amazing in campaign], Capelli doesn't talk in-game for some reason, and some of the areas tend to drag on. But everything else is such a big leap over the previous games.

Man, the atomizer's alt+fire + Grenades is the fps win of the year for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x impressions from the above make me want to run out and get this now. I'm a sucker for alien invasion games, and from everything I've seen they've finally made something that will deliver on the promise that should have been there from the first game, but sadly wasn't.

dark10x said:
Yeah, if by atmosphere of the 1st game, they mean boxy geometry, low res 2-color textures, no lighting and crappy music; and if by scale of 2nd, they mean google maps use and how everything looked fake as hell, then I'm glad this game doesn't have any of that. What it does have is actual effort, time and talent put into visuals - only too bad they couldn't pull it of in 720p.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, Dark10x makes me want this, but I was *so* disappointed by R2. Someone just tell me this is more like the first game and I'll bite.

Also, how is it in 3D with move? Sharpshooter worth using? Major impact on graphics?

Cornbread78

Juancho9 said:
SO....any gaf clans for online yet? I am rocking GAF tag, just wondering if anythings been set up yet. If anyone wants to add me my psn is Dread9

Tags, that's all it is now is tags... BLAAAAHHHH.

dark10x

mrklaw said:
Damn, Dark10x makes me want this, but I was *so* disappointed by R2. Someone just tell me this is more like the first game and I'll bite.

Also, how is it in 3D with move? Sharpshooter worth using? Major impact on graphics?
I absolutely HATED Resistance 2. One of the most disappointed games this generation.

Resistance 3, thus far, is so much more interesting all around. It feels like a mix of Metro 2033 and Half-Life with better gunplay than either of them (especially Metro). It's not really revolutionary or anything, but it's quite a lot of fun. The act of firing a weapon simply feels better than in any of their previous games.

Well it took an hour and 50 minutes to download the patch, install the game, delete the corrupted install, then reinstall it, but I've finally been playing the game.

It's good. I like that it feels hard with lots of attention to detail. Hearing major Cartwright over the radio got me excited. And that audio diary with the girl and her cat was creepy yet hilarious at the same time. Poor Mr. Smoky.

I do want to report a glitch. At the end of chapter 3, when you've completed the mill, Tommy Dean didn't open the door. I had to reload a checkpoint. I think it was because I climbed the ladder instead of following him up the stairs and somehow it missed his scripting cue.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mrklaw said:
I'm on Chapter 17 and so far it blows Fall of Man and pretty much every FPS this gen out of the water. Atmosphere is incredible. Extremely bleak but very fitting. The weapons are also great. Return of the weapon wheel makes fights a lot more open ended and fun to experiment with. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

mrklaw said:

This game is worlds apart from R2. It's hard to believe that game even happened. This is the sequel R1 always deserved.

theBishop

Banned
mrklaw said:

It's more like the first game, but with the grand scale of the 2nd game. And some new bits. The story-telling approach isn't like either game, and that's a good thing.

Top Bottom