• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

theBishop

Banned
RoboPlato said:
No doubt. I really hope they come back and do Resistance 4 instead of handing it off to another dev. The amount of dedication to this project shines through the whole time.

I wonder if Sony is/has made an attempt to hire some of the core creative team for Resistance like MS did with 343.

Obviously Resistance isn't as core to Playstation as Halo is to Xbox, but there's no reason this franchise has to end. It doesn't tell a linear story, it's not bound to one protagonist, and there's already a lot of fiction available to flesh out. Retribution showed that it doesn't even need to be FPS.

Many more games could be made just showing different parts of the timeline. But there's also a lot of opportunity to visit a Chimeran home world.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thrakier said:
So, the perspective wasn't a problem for you at all?
Perspective? I'm not sure what you mean.

The FOV is a bit narrow, but nothing we haven't seen before.

Cheech

B33 said:
I'm playing through it with a copy from GameFly, until I can obtain the game on sale at some point.

I'm aware that Resistance 3 includes a one-time "PlayStation Pass," similar to EA's online program. What are the specifications behind it? In comparison, Dead Space 2 offered players a free "trial" period to play online before they had to buy a pass, if the copy they obtained was used.

Does the same thing apply here or is one completely locked out of the multiplayer and online co-operative mode if they don't have a code?

You are completely locked out if you don't have a code. You go into the multi with no code, and it says, "Go to the store and buy a PS Pass." That's it.

B33

Banned
Cheech said:
You are completely locked out if you don't have a code. You go into the multi with no code, and it says, "Go to the store and buy a PS Pass." That's it.
Awesome.

Thank you for clearing that up.

patsu

theBishop said:
Man, the atomizer's alt+fire + Grenades is the fps win of the year for me.

Yap, the Atomizer is amazing; a life saver actually. I like the sniper alt-fire too.

I like the boss fights. They finally got it right. ^_^

The weapon wheel makes me feel like a boss too. ;-)

hwalker84

I bought Resistance 1 and 2 when they came out.

I watched the ending of 3 on youtube and now i don't really want to play it LOL.

Just beat the game.

The game's storyline flowed beautifully. Insomniac is definitely one of my top developers after this game. It is not to say that Ratchet & Clank, R1 and R2, etc didn't do it for me but they definitely pushed the envelope in terms of graphics, game play, interactivity, enemy A.I, art etc. Huge improvements on all fronts particularly in the intensity and size of the battles ( R2 had a similar feeling). This game is definitely a keeper and a buy. Totally recommend it.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Yap, the Atomizer is amazing; a life saver actually. I like the sniper alt-fire too.

I like the boss fights. They finally got it right. ^_^

The weapon wheel makes me feel like a boss too. ;-)
Ohhhhh I read this is some review but the boss fights are aculaly good this time? Thats great to hear, on of the Resistance games weak points.

The_Darkest_Red said:
As much work as you've done promoting this game here on GAF I feel like IG should hand-deliver a copy to your front door.
Hahaha I just love Resistance games. :)

patsu

The_Darkest_Red said:
As much work as you've done promoting this game here on GAF I feel like IG should hand-deliver a copy to your front door.

... and cover his co-pay.

Are you okay now, Loudninja ?

spiderman123 said:
Just beat the game.

The game's storyline flowed beautifully. Insomniac is definitely one of my top developers after this game. It is not to say that Ratchet & Clank, R1 and R2, etc didn't do it for me but they definitely pushed the envelope in terms of graphics, game play, interactivity, enemy A.I, art etc. Huge improvements on all fronts particularly in the intensity and size of the battles ( R2 had a similar feeling). This game is definitely a keeper and a buy. Totally recommend it.
I'm glad to hear that the quality holds up throughout the game, that's awesome news.

Cheech

B33 said:
Awesome.

Thank you for clearing that up.

You're welcome. I was kind of shocked that I had to enter codes for both R3 and SOCOM yesterday to access the online stuff. I don't buy many PS3 games, so I guess they've been doing this for awhile? I wonder how much the game's "pass" costs if you buy the thing used.

Cheech said:
You're welcome. I was kind of shocked that I had to enter codes for both R3 and SOCOM yesterday to access the online stuff. I don't buy many PS3 games, so I guess they've been doing this for awhile? I wonder how much the game's "pass" costs if you buy the thing used.
I think they're pretty much always $10.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cheech said:
I think they just started recently.

Curious about your bad graphics comment which kinda goes against everyone else and everything I've seen of game. You play it on a projector, so could blowing it up o some really large size could be what makes it look bad? I think the game runs at 1024x640 which probably isn't as bad on a smaller tv screen. I know I wasn't bothered by it on my 50" plasma. I actually thought the demo looked great and final game is supposedly even better. Then again plasma is the best in terms of not exaggerating picture deficiencies.

Loudninja said:
Right at the top of the second page too, why do stupid garbage like that?
I have no idea but I'm kind of annoyed, I did a great job of avoiding pre-release coverage of R3 but I wanted to read EDGE's review just to see what their complaints were. It's so irritating.

SamuraiX-

Loudninja said:
Right at the top of the second page too, why do stupid garbage like that?

If I remember correctly, they did something very similar with an article they published before MGS4's release after they played through the full game.

Fuck those guys to hell. Seriously.

Not even so much as a warning at the beginning of the article/review.

SamuraiX- said:
If I remember correctly, they did something very similar with an article they published before MGS4's release after they played through the full game.

Fuck those guys to hell. Seriously.
Sometimes I feel like they write reviews with more of an emphasis on voicing their all-mighty opinion than on actually informing potential buyers of a game as to whether or not it's worth it.

Grisby

Damn nothing runs a good time like scripting errors.

If he anyone has trouble at the beginning of stage 7, 8 i think after you clear all the enemies reload.

patsu

theBishop said:
I wonder if Sony is/has made an attempt to hire some of the core creative team for Resistance like MS did with 343.

Obviously Resistance isn't as core to Playstation as Halo is to Xbox, but there's no reason this franchise has to end. It doesn't tell a linear story, it's not bound to one protagonist, and there's already a lot of fiction available to flesh out. Retribution showed that it doesn't even need to be FPS.

Many more games could be made just showing different parts of the timeline. But there's also a lot of opportunity to visit a Chimeran home world.

I prefer to hear that the game is made by a young team. ^_^
I think young blood is important in the gaming industry.

So.... any star player in the R3 team ?

patsu

Grisby said:
Damn nothing runs a good time like scripting errors.

If he anyone has trouble at the beginning of stage 7, 8 i think after you clear all the enemies reload.

...before the pub in the multi-storey building in front of the VTOL ?

BeeDog

I just reached the area where you get the Deadeye for the first time, and so far so good. The game looks much better than I anticipated despite the blurry IQ; the lighting is fantastic, the particle effects are very nice and the art direction is top-notch. The actual level design needs to be commended, so much better than either R1 and R2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeeDog said:
I just reached the area where you get the Deadeye for the first time, and so far so good. The game looks much better than I anticipated despite the blurry IQ; the lighting is fantastic, the particle effects are very nice and the art direction is top-notch. The actual level design needs to be commended, so much better than either R1 and R2.
Completely agreed on the visuals. It even seems like the resolution is better in the second half of the game but I think that's just the way that the lighting and everything comes together at that point. The level design is definitely great. It's just so fun to walk around in these areas and take everything in.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Only thing I have against this game is the muddy IQ; but that's hardly Insomniac's fault, especially given the detail in the environment and the scope of the battles.

Can we get some new consoles please?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Are the Amazon codes working for anyone? I just sent the game back but they still emailed me the code for the Air Fuel.

BeeDog

gibration said:
It's in the human skins for mp and the taunt is one of the abilities you can select.

I can't find the post that detailed the beta items, care to tell what I should look for in those menus?

I was going to start SP last night, but got sucked into a few games of MP instead. I have to say I'm enjoying the MP more than I thought I would after playing the beta.

Top Bottom