• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

JB1981

The_Darkest_Red said:
The first thing I did when I started up the campaign was turn off camera acceleration. I don't know why that was defaulted to on but it felt awful to me and the game feels great now that I've disabled it. I'm really glad Insomniac gave me that option.

I'm through Chapter 7 so far and I must say, I'm really enjoying it. The game is incredibly atmospheric and the visuals have been surprisingly effective throughout. I love all of the cool visual effects in the game such as the dust blowing in the wind and the moving trees.

My favorite part of the campaign so far was the (Chapter 7 spoiler)
section where you had to defend the pub. My adrenaline was pumping towards the end because they started to breach our defenses and rush into the pub. It was really good stuff.

I played multiplayer for an hour or so and while I did find it fairly fun I still feel like the game is just too choppy. I can't tell if it's lag spikes, framerate drops, or something else, but it can be really jarring at times and it makes staying alive much more difficult than it should be. Going from the MP to the smooth campaign is really eye-opening in that regard.

Yep, that is my favorite sequence thus far as well. The stage is set very well for that firefight, which is why I feel it is so intense. All I can say is that the game has been well "directed." It's as if great care was taken with each sequence. I love how in that scene you are completely aware of your role in the battle and what the mission is. The pacing in the game has been spot on and you always feel like there is a very natural and organic progression from point A to point B etc. Great stuff. The NPCs have all been great so far as well. They all have pretty good characterization and the dialog has been very good. A huge departure (and upgrade) from R2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JB1981 said:
Yep, that is my favorite sequence thus far as well. The stage is set very well for that firefight, which is why I feel it is so intense. The NPCs have all been great so far. They all have pretty good characterization and the dialog has been very good. A huge departure (and upgrade) from R2.
I don't know how far you are so all I'll say is that the NPCs get a lot better and more interesting some of the areas after that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Woohoo glad to see such great impressions,cant wait to play whenever that is.
I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed. I had really high expectations and it's surpassed every one of them.

JB1981 said:
Yep, that is my favorite sequence thus far as well. The stage is set very well for that firefight, which is why I feel it is so intense. All I can say is that the game has been well "directed." It's as if great care was taken with each sequence. I love how in that scene you are completely aware of your role in the battle and what the mission is. The pacing in the game has been spot on and you always feel like there is a very natural and organic progression from point A to point B etc. Great stuff. The NPCs have all been great so far as well. They all have pretty good characterization and the dialog has been very good. A huge departure (and upgrade) from R2.

How's enemy AI? Is the NPC AI as scripted as Game Informer described?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ProfessorMoran said:
How's enemy AI? Is the AI as bad and scripted as Game Informer described?
AI seems fine to me. They take cover and flank a lot. It's not the best I've ever seen but it's pretty dynamic and a bug step up from the other Resistance games.

So, can any one give their opinion about the story? no spoilers ofc but I'd like to know how it measures to the other two games, while FPS is not a genre for strong storytelling or complex characters, I was very intrigued about the Chimera and I though FoM did a great job in building suspense, R2 wasn't that good though but the cliffhanger was interesting, so, does it make a good job or is it more just about Capelli himself?

JB1981

ProfessorMoran said:
How's enemy AI? Is the NPC AI as scripted as Game Informer described?

It's certainly not Halo-level AI. It's decent, nothing special. Start the game on Difficult setting.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really wish developers would just let us configure our own analog controls... "sensitivity" isn't enough. Bury the advanced stuff under another layer of UI to hide it from the casuals if you have to.

Too many devs just cannot get this right. Acceleration and shit is just so fucked up. Either give us the option to make proper adjustments (see: 360 version of Cain and Lynch) or look to a dev who actually knows what they're doing (Naughty Dog, DICE).

The Ratchet games aren't bad but I find Resistance games hard to play. It's so distracting. Usually this is a problem you get most often with PC devs porting games to console (FEAR, Far Cry 2) so it's weird to have it pop up from a prominent console dev.

So far I've waited 1.5+ hours for the patch and install... and the first thing I'm greeted with in game are shitty analog settings.

That said...

The intro was pretty sweet and I'm really enjoying the atmosphere so far. Already miles better than R2.

edit: btw lol at the cross-eyed dog.

Tony Redgrave said:
So, can any one give their opinion about the story? no spoilers ofc but I'd like to know how it measures to the other two games, while FPS is not a genre for strong storytelling or complex characters, I was very intrigued about the Chimera and I though FoM did a great job in building suspense, R2 wasn't that good though but the cliffhanger was interesting, so, does it make a good job or is it more just about Capelli himself?
The storytelling approach seems much more subtle and personal in this game than in R:FoM or R2. I've only played through the first seven chapters so far but I feel like not much has happened in terms of story and yet I've really appreciated the small amount of events that have occurred. It's definitely different.

As far as Capelli as a character I'm kind of undecided regarding how much I like him. He's a decent enough guy but he doesn't seem to have much of a personality so far and he doesn't really say a lot.

In terms of the Chimera there has been surprisingly little story involving them beyond a few notes that I've picked up.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I do want to report a glitch. At the end of chapter 3, when you've completed the mill, Tommy Dean didn't open the door. I had to reload a checkpoint. I think it was because I climbed the ladder instead of following him up the stairs and somehow it missed his scripting cue.

Same thing happened to me.

I spent like 10 minutes trying to jump on roofs, over fences... anything I could do to get to Main Street. :lol

Fortunately the checkpoint was right before that, so it was a quick fix.

LOVE this game so far. As everyone else has said, the atmosphere and mood are fantastic. Huge HUGE jump over R2 thus far.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So for those who like R3 so far, would you say the atmosphere and overal enjoyment is better than in KZ3? A lot of impressions of KZ3 indicated that the game looks amazing (which I figured from the demo) but for whatever reason wasn't very enjoyable to go through, despite good gunplay.

Thanks darkest, that's not very encouraging to tell the truth, I get the situation is dire but a more minimalist personal story doesn't strike me as very fitting to what is presumably the end of a trilogy, but, well the game still looks awesome in every way so I think I'll be getting it soon.

Tony Redgrave said:
Thanks darkest, that's not very encouraging to tell the truth, I get the situation is dire but a more minimalist personal story doesn't strike me as very fitting to what is presumably the end of a trilogy, but, well the game still looks awesome in every way so I think I'll be getting it soon.
According to the Giant Bomb review the story never really attempts to wrap up most of the major questions in the Resistance universe. Patrick even went so far to say that it felt like a really well told side-story. He didn't mean that as a negative but it sounds like you might see it that way. Here's the quote:

I can't say what would have happened if Insomniac had made a game that set out to specifically answer those questions, but its decision to seemingly distance itself from what Resistance 2 started allowed them to make something different. It feels like a side story, but a really good one, as if Ira Glass took his microphone inside of this ravaged world and came back with an episode of This Chimera Life.
Lord Error said:
So for those who like R3 so far, would you say the atmosphere and overal enjoyment is better than in KZ3? A lot of impressions of KZ3 indicated that the game looks amazing (which I figured from the demo) but for whatever reason wasn't very enjoyable to go through, despite good gunplay.
I think the atmosphere is slightly better than KZ3's, and I thought KZ3 was fairly impressive in that regard. I definitely think R3 is more fun though thanks to that Insomniac touch. You know, the one that makes you think, "ah, yes... these ARE the guys who make Ratchet and Clank."

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Lord Error said:

I like this more than Killzone 3, and that is due to variation of enemies, weapons and the overall polish/atmoshpere of the whole game (This does have some minor problems, but not a lot). Killzone 3 was nice to look at but the direction of the game was not so well done.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dofry said:
I like this more than Killzone 3, and that is due to variation of enemies, weapons and the overall polish/atmoshpere of the whole game (This does have some minor problems, but not a lot). Killzone 3 was nice to look at but the direction of the game was not so well done.
Yeah, I think the pacing is better than Killzone 3 (which surprises me considering the previous Resistance games). The one complaint I do have is simply that the Move controls are not anywhere near as good as those in Killzone 3. Still decent, but much less so.

The storytelling approach seems much more subtle and personal in this game than in R:FoM or R2. I've only played through the first seven chapters so far but I feel like not much has happened in terms of story and yet I've really appreciated the small amount of events that have occurred. It's definitely different.
It's actually very much like Metro 2033. Like Metro, the character you play as isn't a particularly engaging character, but the world around you is quite interesting. The way characters address you and guide you around during quiet times is extremely reminiscent of Metro. The story is very focused on what is happening directly around you rather than the large scale conflict. It no longer feels like a military game, which is a big plus.

I always thought shooting a Goliath's glowing weak point for massive damage was kinda dumb. Looks like the chimera learned from their ways and slapped some heavy armor on those vent stacks.

spats

Lord Error said:

It's a much better game than KZ3 in many ways, but falls short in others. The pacing is better, doesn't feel rushed and the atmosphere is stronger (but the whole game sort of hinges on the overall atmosphere they built if you ask me, while KZ3 doesn't - it's more of a straightforward Hollywood-style action romp)

KZ3 is technically superior and the Move implementation is a lot better. I also think the universe is a lot more interesting, despite being presented really poorly in KZ3, but that's completely subjective.

JB1981

Lord Error said:
Very different. KZ3 is FPS space opera. This is a struggle for survival under hostile occupation. It's very human and intimate. Storytelling is much stronger than KZ and Rhe characters far more likable

dark10x said:
It's actually very much like Metro 2033. Like Metro, the character you play as isn't a particularly engaging character, but the world around you is quite interesting. The way characters address you and guide you around during quiet times is extremely reminiscent of Metro. The story is very focused on what is happening directly around you rather than the large scale conflict. It no longer feels like a military game, which is a big plus.
I'm actually really glad you pointed this out, I completely agree and I also think that this feel is a major victory for IG. It's a very good way of describing why the story feels different from the first two games.

BeeDog

YEEEEEEEEES, just got home and was greeted with my Special Edition. Damn, the steelbook + disc look niiiice. Downloading the humongous patch now, can't fucking waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Carbonox

For those who have completed the campaign already (you fookin crazy man), without spoiling it, can you say whether or not the plot builds up to something epic? Resistance 2's story and ending had all this space shit and a hint towards a galactic struggle of sorts. From what little I've seen of Resistance 3 though, it seems much more intimate, R1-like etc. as if it's completely ignored all the crazy shit that happened in the previous game.

IronRinn

Played up until the part where you
help some survivors defend the Osprey or whatever it's called, by the pub
last night. Very impressed so far. Really enjoy the pacing allowed by the "road movie" approach, almost like Half-Life 2. Much better than I had expected coming off of Resistance 2.

gcubed

Love the game, couldn't stop playing it last night, such a departure from resistance 2 its almost as if a new company made it. Bravo insomniac, bravo.

Thrakier

dark10x said:
Yeah, I think the pacing is better than Killzone 3 (which surprises me considering the previous Resistance games). The one complaint I do have is simply that the Move controls are not anywhere near as good as those in Killzone 3. Still decent, but much less so.

Aw, fuck. :( Why? Becuase of the perspective? Or any other flaws?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Game is insomniac's best yet.
No doubt. I really hope they come back and do Resistance 4 instead of handing it off to another dev. The amount of dedication to this project shines through the whole time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
French said:
Do we know if we'll get the demo later today or next week ?

I thought it was supposed to be on the PS Store today.
It got postponed last minute. Not sure when it'll be coming out.

glaurung

Damn people on my PSN friends list are already playing R3 and yet game.net with their retarded new design say that they haven't even sent the game out yet.

If anyone is in the same boat, meet me venting some rage in BFBC2, Blur or Apocalypse over on PSN.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
RoboPlato said:
It got postponed last minute. Not sure when it'll be coming out.

Well if it has to go through certification again due to a new patch or revision then it'll be at least a week I imagine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
glaurung said:
Damn people on my PSN friends list are already playing R3 and yet game.net with their retarded new design say that they haven't even sent the game out yet.

If anyone is in the same boat, meet me venting some rage in BFBC2, Blur or Apocalypse over on PSN.
For some reason I'm the only one on my friend list playing R3. It makes me sad.

B33

Banned
I'm playing through it with a copy from GameFly, until I can obtain the game on sale at some point.

I'm aware that Resistance 3 includes a one-time "PlayStation Pass," similar to EA's online program. What are the specifications behind it? In comparison, Dead Space 2 offered players a free "trial" period to play online before they had to buy a pass, if the copy they obtained was used.

Does the same thing apply here or is one completely locked out of the multiplayer and online co-operative mode if they don't have a code?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thrakier said:
Aw, fuck. :( Why? Becuase of the perspective? Or any other flaws?
The chief complaint I have is that, when you aim down sights, the entire camera perspective becomes locked and somewhat less responsive. You move the entire image just as you would when using the right analog stick. With Killzone 3, you moved the entire weapon around the screen when using ADS and it worked really well.

Furthermore, the twist to reload function of KZ3 was really well implemented but Resistance 3 forces you to hit square instead. The general cursor movement doesn't feel quite as refined either and the cross hair is enormous.

It's still functional, but it just doesn't have that natural feel of KZ3.

DaNcaKe

Looks like I'll be getting this tomorrow after some of the posts in here.
The beta was a bumpy ride, very bumpy in fact, but under the bugs there was a game that I enjoyed.

Hopefully I get the skin from playing the beta too :p

Thrakier

dark10x said:
The chief complaint I have is that, when you aim down sights, the entire camera perspective becomes locked and somewhat less responsive. You move the entire image just as you would when using the right analog stick. With Killzone 3, you moved the entire weapon around the screen when using ADS and it worked really well.

Furthermore, the twist to reload function of KZ3 was really well implemented but Resistance 3 forces you to hit square instead. The general cursor movement doesn't feel quite as refined either and the cross hair is enormous.

It's still functional, but it just doesn't have that natural feel of KZ3.

So, the perspective wasn't a problem for you at all?

U2NUMB

RoboPlato said:
For some reason I'm the only one on my friend list playing R3. It makes me sad.

Yep I am the loan R3 guy on my friends list of 60 or so people. Sad to see many playing COD when they could be trying something new.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hope all this hype doesn't tarnish my experience of the game when I finally get to play it, RFoM has been my most favourite SP campaign this generation, if R3 topples that throne I'll be very surprised.

Top Bottom