• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

B33

Banned
Cheech said:
You're welcome. I was kind of shocked that I had to enter codes for both R3 and SOCOM yesterday to access the online stuff. I don't buy many PS3 games, so I guess they've been doing this for awhile? I wonder how much the game's "pass" costs if you buy the thing used.
It's a recent change, inspired by EA's similar online pass. The idea is to dissuade players from renting or buying the game used.

As another user pointed out, it's usually $10. So regardless of how you choose to go about playing the game, you're going to have to pay once to play online (unless you pony up for a new copy).

This game got cheated by reviewers. The campaign is the best campaign of any pure shooter this gen and while the MP isnt the greatest it is still decent enough. Ive seen many of games get high scores for just having a fantastic campaign mode and an okay MP mode. Reviewers seem to have some bias against sony first party games unless its Uncharted or LBP

fuzzyreactor said:
This game got cheated by reviewers. The campaign is the best campaign of any pure shooter this gen and while the MP isnt the greatest it is still decent enough. Ive seen many of games get high scores for just having a fantastic campaign mode and an okay MP mode. Reviewers seem to have some bias against sony first party games unless its Uncharted or LBP
I thought this was a known fact?

I don't care. As long as word of mouth spreads, this game will sell well.

I don't think the game will sell very well, sadly. I'm not sure what expectations are like though.

EDIT: I guess I should quantify that statement a little, I would be surprised if R3 sold over 2 million copies worldwide.

gibration

BeeDog said:
I can't find the post that detailed the beta items, care to tell what I should look for in those menus?
The S.R.P.A. Hale skin and the Double Bird taunt.

The_Darkest_Red said:
EDIT: I guess I should quantify that statement a little, I would be surprised if R3 sold over 2 million copies worldwide.
I sure hope it does.

gibration said:
I sure hope it does.
I do too but it just doesn't seem likely. R2 sold significantly worse than FoM and it left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of fans. R3 has released to relatively little hype and is likely to be overshadowed by some of the big shooters releasing later this year like MW3 and BF3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving R3 so far (I even loved R2) but I'm just callin' it like I see it.

Hopefully word of mouth will be enough to propel this bad boy past my expectations somehow. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong at all.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Game is great thus far I missed one document concerning the Tunguska incident cause my brother kept running and wouldn't stop running and I rallied up upon him

Grisby

Not a fan of level 8,9?. The one
where you dodge snipers and take out a gunship on your way to a church. Kept hitting the bridge with my rockets and there were so many snipers it turned into a comedy act.
Also, the latter half with the town and shotgun is kinda boring.

Damn....this game is really something. I'm really enjoying it and can't believe how different it looks compared to R1 and R2. This is dirty, gritty and mean looking. Love it :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How's the MP? I don't play SP FPS games, but I'm interested in the MP, since there's no good new FPS for PS3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished the campaign since I've had nothing else to do the past couple days. Definitely the best campaign of any combat oriented FPS this gen. I'll write up more detailed thoughts in a little later but I have to say congratulations to Insomniac on creating what is easily one of my favorite games ever.

patsu

Grisby said:
Not a fan of level 8,9?. The one
where you dodge snipers and take out a gunship on your way to a church. Kept hitting the bridge with my rockets and there were so many snipers it turned into a comedy act.
Also, the latter half with the town and shotgun is kinda boring.

Nah... You play it differently from me. I used Auger. Still tense but nothing comical about it. In fact two of them charged into my room/hut, so I had to turn and Auger them point blank. The way you approach the enemies will make a huge difference. That's how it should be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
commish said:
How's the MP? I don't play SP FPS games, but I'm interested in the MP, since there's no good new FPS for PS3.
The MP takes some getting used to but I really liked the beta once I got into it and started unlocking stuff. It's paced very differently from other shooters, fast but with a lot of health. I definitely think it's worthwhile as long as you get over the initial hump of when you have nothing unlocked.

patsu

commish said:

What are you looking for in MP ? Some of us here played the beta everyday and enjoyed it tremendously.

Jubs

commish said:

I can't comment on the retail mp, since i dont have the game yet, but i did spend more time on the mp beta of R3 than the Uncharted 3 beta. I thought it was great.

Grisby

patsu said:
Nah... You play it differently from me. I used Auger. Still tense but nothing comical about it. In fact two of them charged into my room/hut, so I had to turn and Auger them point blank. The way you approach the enemies will make a huge difference. That's how it should be.

It really made no sense to shoot the snipers so I just ran to the caves.

gibration

commish said:
I can see why some people like fuzzyreactor think the mp is average because it doesn't really bring anything new to the table but it can actually be quite fun. It's a mix of R:FoM, CoD, and Halo and overall it blends well together but what's makes this game really fun is how well balanced the mp and it's maps are. And you can't forget about the arsenal of weapons Insomniac gives us which is what they do better than any other developer out there.

Forsete

Currently playing the game in coop and loving it. Thank you for bringing SP-coop back.

Lightning reminds me of KZ2-3.. Good job Insomniac! :D

jstevenson said:
have you played the new maps / full progression yet? there is a lot to like in our MP
I dont enjoy the COD elements you have added to the series. i wont like it regardless of the progression if i dont like the basic mechanics

Cudder

I think R1 still has the best campaign. It was longer, and had way more varied locations/sets. R3 is more concise, but R1 is just more epic overall. There were a lot more open environments, a lot of tight, close quarter environments, and I WILL say that yes, I thought the pacing in the R1 campaign was much better.

Crysis 2 did the whole
battle in Times Square
much better I thought, it was still cool here though.

I don't want this game to end :D
But I've got the feeling I'm almost done. Gonna use MOVE on the second playthrough.
Any thoughts about the use of MOVE in MP?
Haven't tried it yet ( so caught up in the SP that I haven't redeemed the online pass )

Loudninja

Cudder said:
I think R1 still has the best campaign. It was longer, and had way more varied locations/sets. R3 is more concise, but R1 is just more epic overall. There were a lot more open environments, a lot of tight, close quarter environments, and I WILL say that yes, I thought the pacing in the R1 campaign was much better.

Crysis 2 did the whole
battle in Times Square
Ah really?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cudder said:

Crysis 2 did the whole
battle in Times Square
I really disagree about the environments in R1. R1 kind of dragged on and most of the environments were very similar and kind of dull. All of the R3 environments are far more interesting and varied. R3 is a ton better than R1 in every way.

On an unrelated note, I just got completely spanked in my first game online. Me and other level 1s against a team entirely in their 40s(!) on a map I didn't know and had some serious lag/framerate issues. I'm going to have to do some runthroughs on the maps and hope that I can get my usual loadout back up and running before too long.

Cudder

RoboPlato said:
I really disagree about the environments in R1. R1 kind of dragged on and most of the environments were very similar and kind of dull. All of the R3 environments are far more interesting and varied. R3 is a ton better than R1 in every way.

On an unrelated note, I just got completely spanked in my first game online. Me and other level 1s against a team entirely in their 40s(!) on a map I didn't know and had some serious lag/framerate issues. I'm going to have to do some runthroughs on the maps and hope that I can get my usual loadout back up and running before too long.
Maybe it's nostalgia that's blinding me. And I do believe that R3's environments are much, MUCH more detailed and fun to traverse, though.

Also, I don't like how the flashlight is automatic this time around, lol.

Love the part where
you're being hunted in the woods by snipers and a dropship with an intimidating searchlight
. Very War of the Worlds

RoboPlato said:
Agreed, the pacing in R1 wasnt to great IMO. I tried a cople times to replay it and usually stop at the same spots. Some of the environments are also very bland, no where near the detail of R3. In regards to shooting mechanics, guns, art design, music, level design R3 is leagues ahead of R1

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Just finished the campaign as others on this page seemed to have done also. And I agree on those comments wholeheartedly.

Excellent game. I really liked the focus on art direction on some scenes, especially towards the end. In addition this game being more R1 than R2, I somehow got Half-Life 2 vibes from this game sometimes and the single colour palettes in some scenes reminded me of Halo art. Just beautiful to look at.
And the combat...how many times will I play this through again and again. I love it.

Really good stuff. I haven't even read a single review, and I don't even care to. I'm just so happy now. Buy this if you like FPS games. I guarantee this is worth the price.

dofry said:
Buy this if you like FPS games. I guarantee this is worth the price.
This went from a "buy after a price drop" to a "buy as soon as I know I have a few hours to actually play it" ;P

I've just got to support games (and especially shooters) with solid single player campaigns.

patsu

Grisby said:
It really made no sense to shoot the snipers so I just ran to the caves.

Why not ? You can shoot at anything that moves.

I conserve my Auger ammo by counting shots too. So it's a little like slapping someone and counting but he can't see you. :lol

Top Bottom