• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

dofry said:
Just finished the campaign as others on this page seemed to have done also. And I agree on those comments wholeheartedly.

Excellent game. I really liked the focus on art direction on some scenes, especially towards the end. In addition this game being more R1 than R2, I somehow got Half-Life 2 vibes from this game sometimes and the single colour palettes in some scenes reminded me of Halo art. Just beautiful to look at.

And the combat...how many times will I play this through again and again. I love it.

Really good stuff. I haven't even read a single review, and I don't even care to. I'm just so happy now. Buy this if you like FPS games. I guarantee this is worth the price.

Yes, I hope Insomniac arm wrestle Sony to install R3 on HDD. That way I can also play it even if something else is in the BR drive.

The same goes for GT5 actually.

Cudder

Is it possible to unlock everything in multiplayer or do you have to be picky with what you unlock. How about the Shop, can you unlock everything in there? Do you get credits each time you beat the game?

Major Ravenholm vibe in the
coal mining town. You even encounter a priest with a shotgun!

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm in St. Louis now. I thought the boat level was amazing. It looked great and was very intense. I don't get all the complaints it originally got.

It's a good level within the context of the campaign, but it was a really shitty demo. Poor way to show off the dynamic gameplay, keeping you hemmed in on a little boat with a couple of weapons.

Grisby

patsu said:
Why not ? You can shoot at anything that moves.

I conserve my Auger ammo by counting shots too. So it's a little like slapping someone and counting but he can't see you. :lol

I thought it just made it harder to try and take them down, considering the ship thats flying above you. That, and the level wasn't that large enough for experimenting. But hey, your right, you can shoot them if you want.

I just finished that chapter and the one after. I think its the weakest one by far but damn if this isn't the best Resistance game.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Cudder said:
Is it possible to unlock everything in multiplayer or do you have to be picky with what you unlock.

IIRC in the beta all the abilities and weapons cost very little to unlock, it is the upgrading that starts draining your funds. I always tried weapons out before upgrading them.

MP is great so far, just had a match completely freeze up though. Love the visuals, seriously. I think the art direction, colors, and special effects really go a long way here.

patsu

Desmond said:
Really? I might play on Normal instead then, to soak in the story, how's Hard anyway?

Hard is solid. I didn't try Normal. May be you want to try Hard and then drop down to Normal temporarily when you're stuck ?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Desmond said:
Really? I might play on Normal instead then, to soak in the story, how's Hard anyway?
Normal wasn't bad at all. I died way less than I usually do in games on Normal but it still felt like a solid challenge. Definitely a very fun difficulty.

I haven't played enough shooters this past year so I started on normal. I remember starting Uncharted2 on hard and I think that greatly affected my enjoyment of the game.
It's not easy for me either, now that regenerating health is gone.

gibration

I'm up to Ch.9 on hard and so far I haven't died yet. It seems pretty easy so I am definitely going to try superhuman on my 2nd playthrough.

I got the game last night and played for a while. I really enjoyed what I was playing. The game seemed to look great and had great atmosphere. It felt more like R1.

From what I'm gathering, this game is proof the gaming media doesn't know shit. R1 had an OK media reception and the community loved it. R2 has had the best media reception and was recieved the community didn't like it. R3 is the worst for media reception and the community likes it's more like R1 again.

Thrakier

Fenderputty said:
I got the game last night and played for a while. I really enjoyed what I was playing. The game seemed to look great and had great atmosphere. It felt more like R1.

From what I'm gathering, this game is proof the gaming media doesn't know shit. R1 had an OK media reception and the community loved it. R2 has had the best media reception and was recieved the community didn't like it. R3 is the worst for media reception and the community likes it's more like R1 again.

To be fair, they are all pretty close to each other with R1 having the bonus to be early in PS3s lifecycle. And R2 hat that innovative coop mode going which probably helped it a lot to get better reviews while R3 is "only" about going back to the roots. Which is fine by me, btw.

patsu

Ha ha... play R3 first before you comment on R3 being close to R1. It shares the high level concepts but execution is rather different.

Thrakier said:
To be fair, they are all pretty close to each other with R1 having the bonus to be early in PS3s lifecycle. And R2 hat that innovative coop mode going which probably helped it a lot to get better reviews while R3 is "only" about going back to the roots. Which is fine by me, btw.

I forgot about the Co-op mode bringing up the scores for R2. I liked R2, just not as much as one.

Anyway ... can't wait to play more SP tonight. I need to get me some MP action by the weekend.

JB1981

gibration said:
I'm up to Ch.9 on hard and so far I haven't died yet. It seems pretty easy so I am definitely going to try superhuman on my 2nd playthrough.

it has been a really really easy game so far and I'm playing on difficult.

Koralsky

Got the special edition - played for a couple of hours.

Textures are on low quality, but the overall visuals are just fine. Like the art direction. Particles are great too. The music is just amazing (in R2 was just too monotone for my taste).

Gameplay wise, I think Insomniacs just brought everything good from R1 and R2 and put it in one package.

Can't wait to play the game again! Also, is it me, or all the trophies are for single player/cooperative?

LifEndz

Just got to Chapter 10. Put the game in and could not stop playing. Had to put it down to get something to eat. Wow. I'm almost sad that this is their last Resistance game (supposedly). It seems like they just hit their stride with the series. Everything felt so authentic. From the early levels to the boat level.

Thanks to everyone that recommended playing on Hard. As is I've only died twice so far. Loving the visuals and the story. Can't wait to see how they finish the story.

alright, i know i hated on the MP but im getting kind of addicted. While it is similar to COD i much prefer it for some reason.I think it has to do with how fun the guns are to use. Been playing 4 player death match mostly. Wish there wasnt so much lag

love the shotgun, IG better not nerf it like they did back in resistance 1

How is the multiplayer in this game? If i don't like cod will i like this games multiplayer? I see some things are similar like kill streaks or whatever.

patsu

Syphon Filter said:
How is the multiplayer in this game? If i don't like cod will i like this games multiplayer? I see some things are similar like kill streaks or whatever.

There is a hardcore (no perk) mode. I am still waiting to see if killstreak is there. Hope not !

That said, the regular modes are still a lot of fun. Some of us play it everyday during the beta. I am looking forward to get back once I complete my first SP run.

Ashes

Banned
patsu said:
There is a hardcore (no perk) mode. I am still waiting to see if killstreak is there. Hope not !

That said, the regular modes are still a lot of fun. Some of us play it everyday during the beta. I am looking forward to get back once I complete my first SP run.

Will the hardcore mode include 'one death and out for the round' mode? I'll jump in, if it had that.

patsu

fuzzyreactor said:
alright, i know i hated on the MP but im getting kind of addicted. While it is similar to COD i much prefer it for some reason.I think it has to do with how fun the guns are to use. Been playing 4 player death match mostly. Wish there wasnt so much lag

love the shotgun, IG better not nerf it like they did back in resistance 1

Ah ha ha, you guys. SMH

It's cool. Join us in our clan run sometimes.

I can't seem to play regular DM well anymore (not right now) but I am killing TDM with the marksman. Everybody jsut went home and I'm on-call in the office for 4 more hours. Time like this I wish Resistance had a huge scene or an app so I could watch mathes. I've noticed huge swings in close matches when people use the tactics right.

edit: Patsu, I'm not really looking to join a clan with my limited time, but send me an invite the next time you are on. I want to play with some non-randoms.

dralla

the effect when killing something with the atomizer in the campaign is so good.

i finished the campaign and will probably start it again later tonight.

Koralsky said:
Also, is it me, or all the trophies are for single player/cooperative?

It's not just you. There are no MP trophies this time around. In R2, too many people got caught up in MP games where people were just grinding for trophies and it somewhat sucked the fun out of the game. We want people to do what they are supposed to do in MP - play the game modes for the fun of it!

Team Klimt said:
It's not just you. There are no MP trophies this time around. In R2, too many people got caught up in MP games where people were just grinding for trophies and it somewhat sucked the fun out of the game. We want people to do what they are supposed to do in MP - play the game modes for the fun of it!

and so far I have to say that was a great decision. I hate MP trophies. the ones for Uncharted 2 were ridiculous. I worked hard at the Platinum for that game as I'm not the best gamer around and thus Crushing difficulty was a real pain the ass so it felt great to have 100% of the trophies. then the MP trophies came... get 2,000 kills, 200 treasure captures...

I know that trophies/achievements aren't really that big of a deal, but getting that 100% on Uncharted 2 felt great to me, only to have it taken away by shitty MP trophies. so I tip my hat to you guys.

also, I think it's more than a just bit sad at how mesmerized I am with the way the trees bend over under the force of the dropships.

Team Klimt said:
I respect that, but those people was just weak. I had 9k kills in a couple of weeks.

patsu

BobTheFork said:
I can't seem to play regular DM well anymore (not right now) but I am killing TDM with the marksman. Everybody jsut went home and I'm on-call in the office for 4 more hours. Time like this I wish Resistance had a huge scene or an app so I could watch mathes. I've noticed huge swings in close matches when people use the tactics right.

edit: Patsu, I'm not really looking to join a clan with my limited time, but send me an invite the next time you are on. I want to play with some non-randoms.

Bob, the clan is loosely organized with no fixed time. We just check the chatroom to see if someone's in a game and ask them to invite us. It's really just the clan tag for now. There is no time restriction per se.

The old clan commitment doesn't work anymore as people gone "rogue", acquire house, get new job, spawn kids, etc. ^_^ So it's free n easy.

The only thing that hasn't changed much is some GAF monsters usually occupy the top few slots. ;-)

patsu

brandonh83 said:
About 30-45 minutes into the single player...

fuuuuucccckkkkkk

Pray tell. What happened here ?

If it's Demon's Souls and you're 30-45 seconds into the game, I can guess what happened to you ;-) but not here yet.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
patsu said:

no killstreaks in the hardcore playlist either.

Ashes

Banned
Pikma said:
At laaaaaaaaaaaaaast! It's installing now <3

If developers have day 1 patches in the works, why don't they allow us to pre-download them at the earliest availble opportunity?

Cudder

I'm rushing through the campaign on easy to level up all my weapons so I can jump into Superhuman difficulty, the shotgun is sooo good.

Top Bottom