• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

TrAcEr_x90 said:
First time ever I cant afford to be buying a game and this comes out......My buddy told me I could go to his house and borrow his brothers copy of the game so we can both play it on seperate tvs and ps3s. But he told me he had to put in a code for the game??? is this one of those new multiplayer codes? that you cant play the multi unless you buy it brand new???

If you have a used copy, you buy a one-time Online Pass from the PS Store. If I'm not wrong, it's $10.

Vard

Solideliquid said:
Is there a demo?
I just checked the latest demos on PSN and didn't see one... Weird because I thought one was supposed to be released on the 6th, as mentioned in the OP?

Teknoman

Really liking the campaign much more than R2. Its about at R1 level for me so far, and the graphics/enemy reaction animations are great.

RoboPlato said:
There is one big jump in location but it make sense. It's not as disjointed as in R2 where one second you were in Chicago then instantly in Iceland.

Good. Man I havent beaten KZ3 yet (put it down for awhile and havent gone back to it due to being sidetracked) but Resistance 3 is making me want to place it as my go to sci-fi shooter for PS3.

I know theres room for both, but its kinda like a Halo vs Gears thing for me.

patsu

Pikma said:
So now I'm losing friends for being good at a game? :p
This is actually the first time I'm good at MP, I think I'll get back at being a noob at Uncharted or something. </3

:lol

Edit: Now that I think about it, why would you be afraid? we're supposed to be a team, pal!

That's because I also like to play against Gaffers some times (Muahahaha !)

But your vacuum cleaner is too powerful.

I think I play too much today. Feeling a bit nauseous now. @_@
Will take a break.

Cheska said:
What the fuck is this healing system? Can't we just have self regenerating health? :/

No. Stop being a baby. You can carry as many weapons as you want and health comes in little packs on the ground. We kickin it old school.

Teknoman

I remember someone posting about only checking 1080p to "fool" the PS3 into displaying all games using that resolution. I know it wouldnt be true 1080p but is that possible?

patsu

brucewaynegretzky said:
No. Stop being a baby. You can carry as many weapons as you want and health comes in little packs on the ground. We kickin it old school.

Yes sir, play on Normal or Easy if it becomes too tough. Some sections are difficult on Hard.

Cheska

brucewaynegretzky said:

Having a ton of weapons doesn't help when you can barely make it a few feet without being bombarded by enemies. Is there less health on the ground when you're playing on Hard?

EDIT: I really wasn't having that hard of a time, but I was getting my ass handed to me in Chapter 7.

pottuvoi

Banned
Teknoman said:
I remember someone posting about only checking 1080p to "fool" the PS3 into displaying all games using that resolution. I know it wouldnt be true 1080p but is that possible?
Usally games would render in 960x1080, which looks worse than 1280x720. (at least for me.)
This depends on game though, some games do not work and some scale the original resolution to 1080p output.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Teknoman said:

Sort of I think.. If the game doesn't support upscaling to 1080p it will fall back to 480/576.
(if I remember correctly)

On chapter 4, and so far, this game is completely redeeming R2, and in a lot of ways, Insomniac as a studio. That may be a tad harsh, but I had really believed they had lost their way the last couple of years. While I liked Crack in Time, I did see it as a step down from ToD.

Also listened to the latest Bombcast, and it's scary how quiet Jeff gets when a PS3 game is brought up. They said they'll talk about it more next week, but man, this game needs to get the props it deserves. It's amazing.

patsu

Cheska said:
Having a ton of weapons doesn't help when you can barely make it a few feet without being bombarded by enemies. Is there less health on the ground when you're playing on Hard?

EDIT: I really wasn't having that hard of a time, but I was getting my ass handed to me in Chapter 7.

Wait a minute, I can see "Health Regen" in the Cheats section. Seems that you can buy it using your in-game credits. Check out the "Options" item in R3's main menu.

patsu

CartridgeBlower said:
Also listened to the latest Bombcast, and it's scary how quiet Jeff gets when a PS3 game is brought up. They said they'll talk about it more next week, but man, this game needs to get the props it deserves. It's amazing.

What do you mean ? I don't listen to Bombcast and am not familiar with the crew.

Duffyside

Banned
I'm with the guy on regenerating health. I even like the sound the health packs make, but fuck do I hate going around looking for them when a battle is over and it's time to move on. I think the right solution for this particular game would've been to have health packs and a very slow health regeneration, that kicks into over-drive once an area has been cleared. You could even get a Win Chime/Victory Gong to go with it.

Teknoman said:
Yes, that was me.

If a PS3 game supports 1080p, then yes, it's certainly possible. But not all games do. And it's just upscaling the picture, you're not getting native 1080p resolutions. And in some cases, it actually increases the likelihood of screen tearing or wonky frame rates. Though to be fair, that may have just been early PS3 games that supported this, and may not be the case with Resistance 3.

But yeah, with games that support the resolution, you just go into display settings, un-check 1080i and 720p and you can force the PS3 into doing it. But I've never really seen a significant advantage in doing so.

patsu

duffyside said:
I'm with the guy on regenerating health. I even like the sound the health packs make, but fuck do I hate going around looking for them when a battle is over and it's time to move on. I think the right solution for this particular game would've been to have health packs and a very slow health regeneration, that kicks into over-drive once an area has been cleared. You could even get a Win Chime/Victory Gong to go with it.

Nah... then you won't be forced to use all the weapons. ^_^
You'll just use your favorite ones.

Besides, it adds a level of desparation in this horror shooter game. 8^P

Cheska

duffyside said:

Girl ;) But your solution sounds absolutely fabulous. The game is still a blast and the health nit pick isn't a huge deal. How many chapters are there total?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Teknoman said:
Umm. Native resolution matters a lot, so set it accordingly. Upscaled stuff looks bad.

NBtoaster

DidntKnowJack said:
Yes, that was me.

If a PS3 game supports 1080p, then yes, it's certainly possible. But not all games do. And it's just upscaling the picture, you're not getting native 1080p resolutions. And in some cases, it actually increases the likelihood of screen tearing or wonky frame rates. Though to be fair, that may have just been early PS3 games that supported this, and may not be the case with Resistance 3.

But yeah, with games that support the resolution, you just go into display settings, un-check 1080i and 720p and you can force the PS3 into doing it. But I've never really seen a significant advantage in doing so.

There is no advantage especially when tvs would do a better job of scaling anyway.

leng jai

Downloading patch now.

Picked this up based on GAF excitement. Resistance is easily my least liked AAA shooter franchise this gen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
leng jai said:
Picked this up based on GAF excitement. Resistance is easily my least liked AAA shooter franchise this gen.
Same here. I didn't even consider R1, or what I've seen and played of R2, to be AAA to begin with. But I'm itching to play this so badly. I think they finally got it with this one, just have a good feeling about it.

CartridgeBlower said:
Sony can probably still thank that $599 for the general malaise they get from much of the media people to this day. Except Sessler - he's like the exact opposite of the bunch I'm thinking of.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Just upgraded the last of my weapons on the first playthrough, Im currently on chapter 20. Haha! And they said it wasn't possible

Ashes

Banned
Lord Error said:
Same here. I didn't even consider R1, or what I've seen and played of R2, to be AAA to begin with. But I'm itching to play this so badly. I think they finally got it with this one, just have a good feeling about it.

Sony can probably still thank that $599 for the general malaise they get from much of the media people to this day. Except Sessler - he's like the exact opposite of the bunch I'm thinking of.

Sessler just likes games.

Allonym

Always-honest said:
Then why buy it? Or why even say this?
Umm, he bought it because of the good reputation its gathered on these forums...also its good that he bought it. He never said it was bad just that it was his least favorite among the other premier shooters. Im glad, the more people who buy the more likely we'll see this series continue. Omg I really wish Resistance has Killzone class visuals, the experience would be perfect! Just imagine the art direction, creativity and imagination coupled with Killzone's visual splendor...epicness! Oh well I guess that's something to look forward to on PS4.

Disclaimer; I am not knocking the visuals that the team at Insomniac have crafted

Raonak

Banned
Jesus....

I take back all the shit I gave this for having such a low resolution. This game is georgeous! and the blur hides the aliasing really nicely. and I don't even notice the lower resolution.

huge graphical step up from 2.

I did notice the resolution drop in the beta, so im guessing MP will have a graphical downgrade :/

But damn. Move support is bad. Only because... ironsights is almost unsuable. should've made it like KZ3. Right now it's like the MAG turret controls. extremely bad. :/

had to switch back to dualshock... makes the marksman and deadeye pretty inefficent.

patch that shit insomniac!

Allonym

fuzzyreactor said:
so i take it you died a lot
Lol yea or I'd die on purpose during large skirmishes since the xp carries over even in death lol. Was playing on difficult.

On another note, the series lacks closure so many unanswered questions. Hope it doesn't end here

gibration

Anyone else think the fire in this game looks amazing? I love running around the night time levels blasting chimera with my shotgun's incendiary rounds. The way it moves and lights up looks so nice.

Cheska

fuzzyreactor said:
so i take it you died a lot

Dang, that's probably why I was having such a difficult time initially. Trying to upgrade as many weapons as possible probably isn't an easy task on your first play through >.< Stopped at chapter 10 tonight, the game is intense, and I LOVE that.

Pikma

Banned
patsu said:
:lol

That's because I also like to play against Gaffers some times (Muahahaha !)

But your vacuum cleaner is too powerful.

I think I play too much today. Feeling a bit nauseous now. @_@
Will take a break.

You should take advantage of the situation these first days, I still don't have my vacuum cleaner :(

hertog

T-0800 said:
Just bought Resistance 3 for $99 AUS. Our dollar is worth more than the US dollar so consider yourself lucky that you can buy it for $60. I could of imported it for much less of course but I wanted it day one.

I bought it for 45 euro's, still think it was a mistake of the store, because I've seen it for as much as 75 euro's :)

patsu

Pikma said:
You should take advantage of the situation these first days, I still don't have my vacuum cleaner :(

Quite true. I'll likely complete the campaign tomorrow evening and then hop on to MP. Pre-ordered the game, so I should be able to jumpstart from level 5 right away.

Top Bottom