• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cheech said:
Hahah, I would love to bite, but I don't want to derail. Just think of all the long delayed Sony exclusive games this gen that ended up being mediocre at best, and you'll have your answers.

Also, I want to add a gigantic THANK YOU to Insomniac for putting in split screen multiplayer/co-op/campaign. So many devs forget that people still really enjoy playing games with friends and family together on the same couch. That feature alone means keeping a game for me vs. trading it in after a few weeks.
The majority of games developed by internal Sony studios are fantastic, though. There were a few delayed games from "second party" developers that were quite terrible (Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2), but the real first party stuff is generally very good. Certainly better than what you'd find on XBOX360 from MS.

Cheech

dark10x said:
The majority of games developed by internal Sony studios are fantastic, though. There were a few delayed games from "second party" developers that were quite terrible (Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2), but the real first party stuff is generally very good. Certainly better than what you'd find on XBOX360 from MS.

When I called Resistance 3 a good game, I compared it only to its predecessor. It's not a good game only by comparison to other PS3 exclusive games, it is simply a good game and that's that.

I wasn't referring to only Sony-owned studios, BTW. Whether a studio is owned by Sony or paid to make an exclusive PS3 game by Sony, it makes no difference to me. I judge them equally.

I will say that if a PS3 exclusive has blown my hair back this gen, it is almost certainly by accident (Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles at the very top of that list). Resistance 3 seems to be the product of a studio that lost its footing for a couple years, but regained it when they made an internal decision to settle down and either tell Sony to get bent with ludicrous timelines or simply go back to basics. Getting rid of R2's co-op missions almost certainly helped, because the entire package seemed to suffer since they essentially were creating 3 games for the R2 package. With R3, going back to just single and multi certainly helped create a stronger product.

Played a couple mp matches this morning without any lag issues. I think leapers being a level 7 unlock was a bad idea. It's the only perk everyone is using at this point. It should have been farther down the list.

Effect

Picked up the game today when I went out to the store to grab something for my cold (home sick today). Patching it now. Not being able to justify the price for Star Fox and not being able to find a copy of Xenoblade online allowed this to win out in the end. Guess I should thank Nintendo. :)

In the end I hope this sells well.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I love the stealth level in the game. Very nice pacing,
and the finale was anything but stealthy
--pretty interesting direction they decided to go with.

And, wow, the comparisons to HL2 are spot on.

God... I suck ass at the multiplayer but it's so FUN!

In that regard it reminds me of Warhawk. I just get rocked, but I keep coming back and I'm not even getting frustrated.

The 'leaper-corpse' thing drives me nuts... but not in a bad way. It's a cool thing to add, but damn I get pissed when those little bastards kill me! :<

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
This game is the direction the series should have taken from the outset.
I think showing the failed military campaign makes sense honestly, even if hale had no personality. Resistance 2 is just defeat after defeat after defeat. It shows you why they are to be feared.

played until chapter 7, sp campaign is really really good so far, not just the graphics and atmosphere, I also love the combat, varied enemy combination making each encounter felt different, weapon wheel that give you freedom to play with your preferred play style, weapons are all useful so you never felt forced to use only certain weapon for certain enemy, big level that is not a simple corridor shooter, no regenerating health make combat very tense, although the game usually does provide you with health pack before big encounter so you're usually starting the encounter with full health, but during combat, searching for health pack or seeing which chimera carry a health pack so they'll drop them once you can kill them is great.

they're doing all the right thing so far.

Loudninja

Servers are still not up worldwide that could be the cause of some lag.

No set date for the demo:
Insomniac Games
@Hassmank not sure if it'll be next week or the week after
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/111848749902475264

Loudninja said:
Servers are still not up worldwide that could be the cause of some lag.
Hopefully you're right.

Does anyone else play with camera acceleration turned off? I found that the game feels so much better that way, especially when I toned down the camera speed a little as well.

Loudninja

The_Darkest_Red said:
Hopefully you're right.

Does anyone else play with camera acceleration turned off? I found that the game feels so much better that way, especially when I toned down the camera speed a little as well.
IG said on their twitter that still might no be the major cause though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Doing job applications then I'm going to start up my second playthrough to level up everything before I take on Superhuman. You know a game is fantastic when I'm anticipating a replay within a day of finishing it just as much as the first time through.

Loudninja said:
IG said on their twitter that still might no be the major cause though.
Well at least they're acknowledging that it exists, that's the main thing. I didn't play the beta much, was the lag also an issue there?

Loudninja

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well at least they're acknowledging that it exists, that's the main thing. I didn't play the beta much, was the lag also an issue there?
Yes, its odd during one game some said they had lag but I didn't have non at that moment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The_Darkest_Red said:
For a while, yeah. Insomniac is pretty good about acknowledging issues though so we at least know that they're on it.

RoboPlato said:
For a while, yeah. Insomniac is pretty good about acknowledging issues though so we at least know that they're on it.
I tried playing the beta at least 5 times or so and I'm aware of some of the major issues that were going on but was the game laggy during the final stages of the beta?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The_Darkest_Red said:
I tried playing the beta at least 5 times or so and I'm aware of some of the major issues that were going on but was the game laggy during the final stages of the beta?
The lag got worse the more it was open. It's funny, I was in when it was really private and there was pretty much no lag and faster matchmaking despite me not having a good connection and mostly playing with Europeans and people in California. I think the servers are just getting pounded right now.

Ashes

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:

Towards the end, they put it on psn, which is when I played it. And it was fine. It got laggy on the last day or so; and their explanation for this was that
1, there was day 1 patch coming, so whatever issues you had, probably already had a fix,
2, worldwide servers starting up co-ordination etc.

Widowmaker battle
was awesome. I felt like I was playing starship troopers. It even sounds like the warrior bugs.

Didn't really think it was a spoiler considering it was the first thing shown on the cover of Gameinformer.

darkwing

finally got my copy, only a few chapters but wow, it really is the best Resistance game yet, the game is thick with atmosphere, really thick, i just hate looking for those journals, don't want to miss any kind of tidbit

Desmond

I had heard murmurs of Gamestop.ie replicated their coolness with R3 like they did with Deus Ex.

Lo and behold this was awaiting me after school

sptyfl.jpg

Anyone who ordered regular got it apparently

A day early too!!

JB1981

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Widowmaker battle
was awesome. I felt like I was playing starship troopers. The widowmaker even sounds like the warrior bugs.

Agreed. One thing I didn't like, though, is the game saves your progress throughout the battle so if you die you start fresh but enemy health does not regenerate, so it makes the whole thing much easier. I appreciated the fact that you had room to breathe and there were various different locations to escape to. You were not stuck in a closed-off room running back and forth like R2.

dralla

JB1981 said:
Agreed. One thing I didn't like, though, is the game saves your progress throughout the battle so if you die you start fresh but enemy health does not regenerate, so it makes the whole thing much easier. I appreciated the fact that you had room to breathe and there were various different locations to escape to. You were not stuck in a closed-off room running back and forth like R2.
yea, that happened to me later in game. i was pretty upset as it made the encounter way too easy

Loudninja

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Widowmaker battle
was awesome. I felt like I was playing starship troopers. It even sounds like the warrior bugs.

Didn't really think it was a spoiler considering it was the first thing shown on the cover of Gameinformer.
I already knew about it but you know how people are, not everyone was following the game you know?

BeeDog

Awesome.

Also, the shooting in this game is very satisfying, especially since the enemies animate so well this time around. When you start fighting (pretty big spoilers)
the prisoners
, I was immediately reminded of Singularity and its hit detection/gunplay.

aristotle

I didn't see this in the OP. This is the list of what you can unlock with the Global Resistance game on myresistance.net/global. Hope the formatting isn't too bad. This list was put together on the official forums, but I narrowed it down to what unlocks in SP and MP. It lists the Accolade that you can earn and what it unlocks in R3 and in GR (XP). Hope it helps someone.

SP Rewards:

First Blood (100 xp): Win 5 Skirmish battles (R3 Concept Art Unlocked: Weapons)

Voter (100 xp): Voted in 1 Global Objective (R3 Concept Art Unlocked: CHIMERA)

Legion of Legions (100 xp): Deploy 10,000 troops (R3 Cheat Unlocked: Bloody Hell)

Step Up (50 xp): Upgraded 5 buildings (R3 Concept Art Unlocked: NYC)

MP Rewards:

Titles:

Lucky (300 xp): Win 5 skirmishes in a row (R3 Title Unlocked: Urban Guerilla)

Optimized (500 xp): Fully upgrade a barracks (R3 Title Unlocked: Warhound)

Decisive (100 xp): Send 5000 soldiers in a single deployment.(R3 Title Unlock: Mind Cancer)

Squad Member (250 xp): Completed a Co-op mission(R3 Title Unlocked: Cooperative Operative)

Veteran Operative (250 xp): Completed 50 territory missions (R3 Title Unlocked: GR Champ)

Green Bomber (100 xp): Deployed a bomb/spire in 5+ regions (R3 Title Unlocked:Death From Above)

Green Defender (100 xp): Deploy shields/bunkers in 5+ areas(R3 Title Unlocked: Mission Control)

Green Tallboy (100 xp): Deployed a bunker buster in 5+ regions(R3 Title Unlocked: Geronimo)

Gang Banger (500 xp): Fought skirmishes against 50+ people (R3 Title Unlocked: Witness to Slaughter)

Maximizer (100 xp): Upgraded 25 buildings (R3 Title Unlocked: Resistance Fighter)

Mayor of Quebec (1400 xp): Deployed a total of 491,142 troops (R3 Title Unlocked: War Marshall)

Politically Active (500 xp): Vote in 10 Global objectives (R3 Title Unlocked: GR Rockstar)

Think You're Funny, Soldier (1337 xp): Fight 1337 skirmish battles (R3 Title Unlocked: Chimera Don't Surf)

War Machine (1000 xp): Deploy a total of 10,000,000 troops (R3 Title Unlocked: Soldier of Fortune)

Skins:

Legion Command (10 xp): Deploy 5,000 troops (R3 MP Skin Unlocked: Death Squad Hybrid)

Lord Mayor Of Belfast (1200 xp): Deployed a total of 267,500 troops(R3 Multiplayer Skin Unlocked: Target Dummy)

Veteran(1500 xp): Was on the winning side of a war (R3 MP Skin Unlocked: Malikov)

XP:

Welcome to Hell (500 xp): Deploy 58,000 total troops (R3 Bonus Xp Unlocked: 500)

Record Breaker (1000 xp):Completed 251 territory missions (R3 Bonus XP Unlocked: 1000)

Maxed Out (1000 xp): Send 25,000 troops in a single deployment (R3 Bonus XP Unlocked: 500)

Mayor of New York (8000 xp): Deploy a total of 8,175,133 troops(R3 Bonus XP Unlocked: 3500)

Challenger (3000 xp): Challenge an outsider to a skirmish battle (R3 Bonus XP Unlocked: 1000)

Mayor of Oklahoma (3000xp): Deploy a total of 3,751,351 troops (R3 Bonus XP Unlocked: 2500)

The corresponding XP amount next to each Accolade earned in Global Resistance is the XP amount you get for that Accolade in the GR game.

Reckoner

I can't understand why do Sony releases different versions of one game in just one region. Like, in Europe I can't get a game from UK and buy DLC from the portuguese store. That's stupid.

Massa

Reckoner said:
I can't understand why do Sony releases different versions of one game in just one region. Like, in Europe I can't get a game from UK and buy DLC from the portuguese store. That's stupid.

That's because Sony Portugal/Spain/France/etc wasn't happy paying for the localization of the games and then have their potential customers buy from the UK instead. Now the UK version only ships with English, so it's technically a different game and then DLC doesn't work.

Should be easy enough to make an UK account to buy the DLC if you really want.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeeDog said:
Awesome.

Also, the shooting in this game is very satisfying, especially since the enemies animate so well this time around. When you start fighting (pretty big spoilers)
the prisoners
, I was immediately reminded of Singularity and its hit detection/gunplay.
I know it's off topic but was Singularity really that good? I might give it a shot then.

Top Bottom