• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Cheska

Thrakier said:
Hm, and why? Did you like KZ3 with Move?

Different strokes for different folks. Move is fun but the motions can be a little tiring. The first time Im playing a game I like to be able to sit down and fully immerse myself without my arms getting tired. KZ3 was fine with Move, but once again I used it after I had already beaten the game with a DS3.

Bradach

Thrakier said:
So all you guys playing with a controller?
I'm going to play with move unless the iron sights is too bad. I cant understand why they went fixed. Maybe they thought the free moving iron sights made the weapons feel weightless but I think I'd prefer that to what I've seen so far.

BradleyUK said:
Why would you release a patch that is 656mb on release?
Because the game wasn't finished when they "went gold".

Even after that mega patch I still had two bugs in the campaign requiring restarts last night. :|

Bummed at the huge patch, but 30 mins later I was drawn into this game HARD. So much improved from R2, I’m glad I didn’t overlook this one just based on that. Immersive for sure, I’m only up to about Chapter 7 but next time I get like a good 5 hour chunk to play through this, I don’t think I’ll stop.

Tried it with Move for about 10 mins, hated it, but I should've known better.

Anyone know if the MP is region locked? Someone with an early Japanese copy is saying he can only connect with Japanese players. jstevenson, can you comment on this if you see it please? Will be mightily disappointed if this is the case.

G_Berry

Banned
Kenshin001 said:
Anyone know if the MP is region locked? Someone with an early Japanese copy is saying he can only connect with Japanese players. jstevenson, can you comment on this if you see it please? Will be mightily disappointed if this is the case.

I don't think I've played with an Australian all night :/ game is laggy as fuck and filled with euros, japanese and who knows who else. Not exactly ideal conditions for what I'm guessing is p2p. What happened to dedicated servers??

Also, the massive patch (which took forever) followed by non optional install followed by quit to store to enter a bloody key does not leave a great first impression. Neither did the glitched ai in single player causing me to restart the area and the several system freezes in mp.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God fucking damn, the
Mutator
has to be one of the most fucking OP weapons I ever had the joy of using, it's straight up R&C broken.

madmackem

CozMick said:
Anyone else getting screwed over by GAME?

Day before release and the damn game ain't been shipped :\

It will have been shipped mick, follow game on twitter and they have fucked up the website since they "upgraded" it a few weeks back but orders are going out as normal even if website doesnt update.

CozMick

Banned
madmackem said:
It will have been shipped mick, follow game on twitter and they have fucked up the website since they "upgraded" it a few weeks back but orders are going out as normal even if website doesnt update.

They haven't even charged my card and it still says unshipped :\

Went to the bank earlier in the town, preordered the game and took the money out, fuck 'em! gonna take a trip to the toon in the morning, you better be on it sharpish mackem :)

T-0800

If Resistance 3 was an entrant in the Tour De France it would be suspected of doping. So good. So very good. The visuals are amazing and the sound is equally as good. I really hope IG have learnt how good they are now. This is what 3 years does to a game.

I'm stopping at Chapter 10. I only bought the game today and I don't want to rush through it.

10 out of 10.

PS
How about a R&C game with 3 years of polish.

Ferny

Bought the game and played some of the first campaign before having to get off to sleep at a reasonable time for work. I wanna play this game!! Its so much better than the other two.

Oneself

Loved the 1st game, hated the sequel...

And I must say; I am very impressed by Resistance3. It's much better than I expected it to be, both gameplay-wise & graphically (and the story/ambiance etc.). It definitely feels like it's the proper second game. I was expecting R2 all over again but this is an incredible surprise.

Insomniac, thank you. You guys have done an amazing job.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
QisTopTier said:
God fucking damn, the
Mutator
has to be one of the most fucking OP weapons I ever had the joy of using, it's straight up R&C broken.
It's so much more fun than I thought it would be after using it in MP. The secondary fire demolishes groups.

What a great game so far! Played up the the point where you meet
Charlie

I'm playing on Hard. And no life regen really keeps me on my toes. Can't just absorb damage like a sponge like most other games these days. Really brings back a tension to FPS games that I haven't felt in a while.

Loudninja

QisTopTier said:
God fucking damn, the
Mutator
Use the Hazmat suit :p, sorry Mutator hated I will be using it alot!

The SP is so good, but the MP is driving me nuts. The lag is so bad that it will look like my screen has frozen for a second or 2, and then by the time it fixes itself I am always dead. I really hope they can fix it soon because it is really turing me off from playing MP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yankeehater said:
The SP is so good, but the MP is driving me nuts. The lag is so bad that it will look like my screen has frozen for a second or 2, and then by the time it fixes itself I am always dead. I really hope they can fix it soon because it is really turing me off from playing MP.
I had the same trouble yesterday. I'm just going to give it some time to sort out since I really enjoyed the beta but the lag is really bad. Playing against guys in the 40s as a level 1 with that lag did not end well.

Loudninja

yankeehater said:
Patch coming today,not sure what it is for but I think its for further improving those things.

Man, I really want to love the MP in this game but the lag (or framerate drops, not sure which) is killing it for me. I'll get in a nice groove, play a game or two, and then have some situation pop up where I feel like I have no control over where I'm aiming. I'm not sure what it is but something just isn't as smooth as it should be. I don't think it's my connection because I don't ever lag in other games and my connection isn't too slow.

For me the lag problems really become most apparent when using the Marksman. It's a weapon that requires precise aiming for extended periods of time and I feel completely worthless when I'm using it. It's the exact opposite from SP, where I feel like the Marksman is a fantastic weapon. I know there's some aim assist in SP that makes it feel better but it's definitely more than that, the aiming in MP just feels choppy.

I also feel like Prison is just too small for 16 players. I had that map pop up last night and there was just too much going on for my taste. It was pure chaos.

Other than that I've actually enjoyed the MP more than I thought I would, and I feel like I'm improving quite a bit as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Patch coming today,not sure what it is for but I think its for further improving those things.
Good to hear. Let's just hope it's smaller than the last patch for those of us with crappy connections.

OSHAN

Splitscreen MP is a real mess. Lag aside, there is way too much text on the screen. They need to add an option to turn off the kill log. It's in the middle of the screen while playing split and you can't see shit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
T-0800 said:
If Resistance 3 was an entrant in the Tour De France it would be suspected of doping. So good. So very good. The visuals are amazing and the sound is equally as good. I really hope IG have learnt how good they are now. This is what 3 years does to a game.
Sadly, the review scores, and sales, possibly, don't seem to reflect this perceived increase in quality. They should have made a game like this first, instead of five years later. Now it's kinda too late to reap the benefits of increased quality and longer dev cycle :\

madmackem

CozMick said:
They haven't even charged my card and it still says unshipped :\

Went to the bank earlier in the town, preordered the game and took the money out, fuck 'em! gonna take a trip to the toon in the morning, you better be on it sharpish mackem :)

I will be, going for it first thing should be back by 10ish.

PerZona

Just completed this game and wow I'm impressed. It's so so so so much better than Resistance 2! The new weapons are badass, and even more when upgraded to the max.

The MP is fun and i completed the whole game with my friend in online co-op. Really fun ;)

I'll be honest, I'm a little worried that when the dust settles and most players are at a high level there are going to be some truly obnoxious play-styles at the forefront of R3 MP. There are so many crazy abilities and upgrades in this game that I just can't imagine them being well balanced for online MP. I could be wrong, of course, but Call of Duty has had 4 entries on the PS3 since it started the perks and leveling system and they still haven't gotten it right. I'm just afraid that Insomniac's focus on fun might distract them from creating a balanced MP experience. And let me tell you, when unbalanced weapons or abilities are discovered and abused in an online game they can quickly turn any game from fun to frustrating overnight.

I know, I know, I have no faith. Like I said, hopefully I'm wrong. I'm just worried because my initial impression is that there is just too much going on here for it to be balanced properly for the long run.

Loudninja

The_Darkest_Red said:
I'll be honest, I'm a little worried that when the dust settles and most players are at a high level there are going to be some truly obnoxious play-styles at the forefront of R3 MP. There are so many crazy abilities and upgrades in this game that I just can't imagine them being well balanced for online MP. I could be wrong, of course, but Call of Duty has had 4 entries on the PS3 since it started the perks and leveling system and they still haven't gotten it right. I'm just afraid that Insomniac's focus on fun might distract them from creating a balanced MP experience. And let me tell you, when unbalanced weapons or abilities are discovered and abused in an online game they can quickly turn any game from fun to frustrating overnight.

I know, I know, I have no faith. Like I said, hopefully I'm wrong. I'm just worried because my initial impression is that there is just too much going on here for it to be balanced properly for the long run.
I think it will be fine really,pretty much everything has a counter.Take the Hazmat suit , it protects you from fire,enemies cant tag you and the mutator does less damage.

Loudninja said:
I think it will be fine really,pretty much everything has a counter.Take the Hazmat suit , it protects you from fire,enemies cant tag you and the mutator does less damage.
Yeah but the issue is whether or not all of the counters are balanced. It's a lot tougher than it looks on paper and only time will really tell if they got it right.

Cheech

I hated Resistance 2 to the point of openly laughing at it when anyone brought it up as being a competitive shooter, but decided to give R3 a try as I posted earlier in the thread.

It really is a good game. The campaign is fun, and has a lot of CoD-meets-Half Life 2 elements in it. The multiplayer works well, and is actually something I will play instead of laugh at like the last Resistance title.

Good job, Insomniac. Much to Sony fanboy consternation, I usually end up tearing PS3 games to shreds because they are either inferior ports or put out by barely competent Sony exclusive developers, but Resistance 3 is legit. Anyone who buys this game isn't going to regret it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The auger (I think that's what it's called) effect when you slowly spot enemies through the walls is really beautiful in 3D. I never thought I'd use 3D on my tv, now I'm kind of a believer.

glaurung

Cheech said:
I hated Resistance 2 to the point of openly laughing at it when anyone brought it up as being a competitive shooter, but decided to give R3 a try as I posted earlier in the thread.

It really is a good game. The campaign is fun, and has a lot of CoD-meets-Half Life 2 elements in it. The multiplayer works well, and is actually something I will play instead of laugh at like the last Resistance title.

Good job, Insomniac. Much to Sony fanboy consternation, I usually end up tearing PS3 games to shreds because they are either inferior ports or put out by barely competent Sony exclusive developers, but Resistance 3 is legit. Anyone who buys this game isn't going to regret it.
Glad to see the game has won you over... at least to a degree.

R2 was never a competent shooter or MP game. I tried so hard to like the soul-crushingly numb multiplayer, but it never got to me and the water-dripping slow XP gains became torture.

My R3 is still god-knows-where. game.net and their stupid site cannot even tell me whether they have shipped the game yet. I hate them so much right now.

Cheech said:

Barely competent exclusive developers? Do tell.

Cheech

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Barely competent exclusive developers? Do tell.

Hahah, I would love to bite, but I don't want to derail. Just think of all the long delayed Sony exclusive games this gen that ended up being mediocre at best, and you'll have your answers.

Also, I want to add a gigantic THANK YOU to Insomniac for putting in split screen multiplayer/co-op/campaign. So many devs forget that people still really enjoy playing games with friends and family together on the same couch. That feature alone means keeping a game for me vs. trading it in after a few weeks.

OSHAN

Cheech said:
Hahah, I would love to bite, but I don't want to derail. Just think of all the long delayed Sony exclusive games this gen that ended up being mediocre at best, and you'll have your answers.

I really can't think of any that have been "mediocre at best," though I can think of some that have been good at best.

But yes, let's not derail.

Duffyside

Banned
Cheech said:

Also, I want to add a gigantic THANK YOU to Insomniac for putting in split screen multiplayer/co-op/campaign. So many devs forget that people still really enjoy playing games with friends and family together on the same couch. That feature alone means keeping a game for me vs. trading it in after a few weeks.
Gears 3 is a Sony exclusive?

Boom.

Top Bottom