• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

weeskwee

Banned
so far this is right there with deus ex and infamous 2 on my best of the year list.
though uncharted 3, rage, skyrim, etc will push all of those back i'm sure. :)

by far my favorite resistance game. finally i put this series up there with sony's other exclusives. amazing stuff. been wanting an intense, often times scary alien invasion game. finally we have one.

BeeDog

Y2KEV

Did you post your impressions of the game yet? Curious to hear what you think, since you're one of the few GAF'ers who actually found R2 fun (on Easy).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeeDog said:
Y2KEV

Did you post your impressions of the game yet? Curious to hear what you think, since you're one of the few GAF'ers who actually found R2 fun (on Easy).
He said a while back that he thought it was Insomniac's best game. I also liked R2 and I have to say that I agree with him. I'm going to do a more detailed write up later but this is honestly one of my favorite games ever and probably my favorite FPS campaign this gen.

BeeDog said:
I just need to ask; is
Herbert Zawicki (sp?)
voiced by Colonel Campbell?

Yup. And another fun VO fact is tht Robin Atkin-Downes (Capelli) is also the voice of Miller from Peace Walker, and perhaps most famously as the Medic in TF2 :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
brandonh83 said:
Man, chapter

Man, just... chapter

MAN.
My exact reaction.
Fighting humans, awesome storm effect, and the Widowmaker stampede.
So much unexpected "holy shit" in one chapter.

ShogunX

So how do I link my online global resistance profile to my PSN profile? Tells me I have unlocked titles and artwork on Global resistance yet they don't appear unlocked in the actual game.

Edit - Never mind it's not available to link yet.

RoboPlato said:
My exact reaction.
Fighting humans, awesome storm effect, and the Widowmaker stampede.
So much unexpected "holy shit" in one chapter.

that and the way the chapter ends. what an unbelievable level.

PLAYSTATION 3 TRAIN LEVELS ARE THE BEST TRAIN LEVELS

DigiMish

How do you link your Global Resistance account to your PSN one so you can get the in-game rewards?

Edit: NVM, someone just asked this above me. Apparently, it's not ready to be linked yet.

Reckoner

Started the game now and the first thing I noticed is that I'd like to have the old control scheme. Customized it but since the iron sights work in a different way, it would be really cool if IG implemented an option for us to aim without having to keep pressing the aim button to keep it on. Like what we can do on Killzone.

I did this mostly because I prefer using R2 to switch weapons. It's more functional, quicker and intuitive for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BeeDog said:
Y2KEV

I havent posted yet because people are postage small things they think arent spoilers that are spoilers to me. So I'm limiting my reading.

But resistance 3 is awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One weird thing I noticed is that motion blur was disabled during the boat sequence for some reason. I wonder why that is?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
dark10x said:
One weird thing I noticed is that motion blur was disabled during the boat sequence for some reason. I wonder why that is?
Js commented that it just didn't work so well in that level. Which is another reason it made a poor demo.

Team Klimt said:
Yup. And another fun VO fact is tht Robin Atkin-Downes (Capelli) is also the voice of Miller from Peace Walker, and perhaps most famously as the Medic in TF2 :)

Also Travis Touchdown in No More Heroes.

cnizzle06

Banned
Red Box'd it and beat it. Now for cnizzle's rushed/unorganized/tacky review (Cnizzle's RUT Review TM):

Very neat post-effects, found the guns to be not as original as I had hoped, visuals were very muddy at times, overall a definite step up from prior entries, dialog was not synced well, NPCs looked god-awful, Ending was disappointing, final stages seemed to run out of steam/creative juice which resulted in just placing large groups of enemies in every room, Love the weapon wheel- it gave me time to pause the hectic gameplay and breath while formulating a strategy, Beat it in one sitting, Its entirety felt more like a mini side story to the overall universe, most levels just left me bored with some exceptions namely
The Prison

Score- 7.5- A definite evolution for the series, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

brandonh83 said:
Man, chapter

Man, just... chapter

MAN.

I just finished that right now. Holy fuck. So much awesomeness, and then how it ends. Goddamnit, IG...
I can't believe it. I was shouting at the screen too.

Effect

Some of the fights in this game makes you feel so badass. :) I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in some time thanks to the weapons. I have an unopened copy of Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I ordered it used really cheap and got a new copy sealed but never got around to playing it. After this I'm going to finally open it up.

Needs some advice. I'm up to
Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania. I'm at the part where you come out of the mine and see the bridge. I think I'm doing this section wrong as the drop ship keeps spoting me. I can deal with that but it's getting to the next mine that's the problem. Snipers and me without any ammo for the Aug. I'm trying to go for cover in the house on the hill because if I go out in the open snipers just start firing away and I see nothing but red laser sights. Any advice on how to tackle this?
. This is one area that makes me wish this game has health regen.

There is no way to turn off the motion blur is there (I believe that's it or I might need my eyes checked)? At least in multiplayer? I don't notice in single player.

Trevelyon

Good golly! Just reached the
abandoned warehouse in St. Louis and again this lighting engine just continues to floor me. Coming up through the basement with the torch is really fuckin' impressive and then you find the atomizer and things go to a completely new level.

Seriously one of the best looking consoles games out there, no doubt.

Raonak

Banned
Started off a little slow, but damn, feels like shit is really going down. just reached the final destination. I thought resistance 1 was good, 2 was meh. but 3 really brings the series to a AAA level. Definetly one of my top ps3 games.

I really, really like the weapon wheel returning. also the health system. Gives a breath of new air in an overcrowded genre.

Finished it tonight. Fuckin great game! Easily one of the best I played this year.
The boat level ( which was the first SP demo )
was the only level I found a bit meh, puzzles me that this level was chosen to be
the first SP demo.

patsu

Steve McQueen said:
Finished it tonight. Fuckin great game! Easily one of the best I played this year.
The boat level ( which was the first SP demo )
was the only level I found a bit meh, puzzles me that this level was chosen to be
the first SP demo.

They should use the
pub
level but cut it before it ends, so the players want more. 8^P

BatmanX

God damn, buyed the special today but after the massive patch and the installation progress the game freezed on installing the trophies. Can't able to play it. I just forget why I quitted pc gaming now, and wondering why these things didn't happened in the 2007

Dunk#7

I just downloaded the online beta to test the game out before I buy it and it keeps saying the server timed out when I try to join a game.

Is the beta already offline?

I thought I read that it was going to be available on September 6th. Why is it off already?

Loudninja

Dunk#7 said:
I just downloaded the online beta to test the game out before I buy it and it keeps saying the server timed out when I try to join a game.

I thought I read that it was going to be available on September 6th. Why is it off already?
Ah it ended September 4th.

Team Klimt said:
He's also the new Mumm-ra in Thundercats. I knew him from the Uncharted series. That's my "most famously" role fore me lol.

JB1981

Dunk#7 said:

It's offline.

darkwing

Raonak said:
Started off a little slow, but damn, feels like shit is really going down. just reached the final destination. I thought resistance 1 was good, 2 was meh. but 3 really brings the series to a AAA level. Definetly one of my top ps3 games.

I really, really like the weapon wheel returning. also the health system. Gives a breath of new air in an overcrowded genre.

yup it starts slow in the early chapters, but early on, its better than 1 and 2 already

Ack, want to check this out now after all the positive impressions, but I have been waiting for Dead Island and Gears 3 for an absolute age, so it will have to wait :(

patsu

Dave1988 said:
Another patch weighing over 650 mb? Are you fucking kidding me?

Bah... made me fire up R3 for no reason. Patch is not out yet.

EDIT: How do you know it's over 650Mb, Dave1988 ?

Is the music severely glitching out for anyone else in Chapters 13-16? It's becoming incredibly distracting, it only plays snippets once in a while and other than that, it's silent.

Loudninja

patsu said:

Its up in Eruope
We're hearing 1.02 is live in Europe. Let us know if you get in North America. Patch notes coming. #fb
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/111925979701719041

patsu

gibration said:
So that's why I see you just sitting in the xmb. I paused the game the moment you left. I can wait. :D

:shock: He didn't apply the first patch ?

Loudninja said:
Its up in Eruope

http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/111925979701719041

I see. Hurry up ! I hope this doesn't mean new players need to download 2 huge patches.

Dave1988

patsu said:

I was playing with gibration when a prompt to update the game appeared. Signed me off so I figured I might as well install it. It weighs 676 mbs to be exact. A few more of these patches and we'll have the whole goddamn game installed on our Harddrives. Insomniac, how broken is your game exactly?

EDIT: Now it froze my PS3 when I accepted gib's invite. Oh lawd....

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Dunk#7 said:

The beta ended last weekend. The SP demo was scheduled for the 6th but was postponed

Himself

Just finished it, loved it. Thoughts containing MASSIVE SPOILERS:
First, what I was disappointed in, which is very little. There was no ending. That sucked. I would have liked to see a bit more about the effects of Capelli's actions, but I suppose it is all more or less addressed in the radio blurbs and postcard snapshot things during the credits. but, since it didn't directly set up a 4th game, that means that Insomniac basically have a clean slate to come up with something.

Oh yeah. Resistance 4 on the PS4 for the love of everything please.

I also feel that by focusing on the human aspect of the whole deal, the Chimera as an intriguing species took a back seat. We don't really learn much new about them nor do any old questions really get resolved. It's cool that they developed feral chimera and even cooler that they would battle the regular chimera, but what about the origins and intentions? We learn that the Pure Chimera exist and may be behind all the action, but we never see them or learn more. And what about those whatever-the-hell-you-call-ems that are fusion human/chimera or something that I think were developed by Malikov?

As far as the good goes, everything else was magnificent and the extra effort really shows. The gameplay is amazing, the weapons are a blast and the locations and pacing are basically perfect.

I half expected Hale to return as the main villain of the game. I like how Insomniac handles his legacy throughout.

The whole savagery that erupts with the beheading of Malikov, then waking up in a pit and having to bludgeon 20 humans with a sledgehammer was jarring in the best way possible. Just extremely unexpected and intense, but fit the game perfectly. This goes to show how fertile the Resistance universe is for creating interesting scenarios. That prison was more fucked up than fighting the Chimera.

Yeah, I'll probably start that superhuman run immediately. Excellent game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1.02 is up in the US. 676MB :(

Let's hope it fixes the lag and some of the SP scripting errors. I guess I'll go back to playing in a little over an hour.

Top Bottom