• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Himself

duffyside said:
What's that? Just the multiplayer mode?

I'm also curious. I mean, I saw it right there under one of the menu options, but just didn't click on it. Guess it won't be too tough to figure out if we don't get a response in the next few minutes.

Himself

For the record this is only the third game this gen. I restarted the same day I finished it, along with Vanquish and Demon's Souls. Good company to be in right there.

Duffyside

Banned
Himself said:
For the record this is only the third game this gen. I restarted the same day I finished it, along with Vanquish and Demon's Souls. Good company to be in right there.
You have great taste. I may actually open my copy of Demon's Souls if more Vanquish fans recommend it.
DigiMish said:
Uck... I don't even have a Facebook account. I mean... it can't be THAT good, can it?

DigiMish

duffyside said:
You have great taste. I may actually open my copy of Demon's Souls if more Vanquish fans recommend it.

Uck... I don't even have a Facebook account. I mean... it can't be THAT good, can it?

It's a mix of

1) a more active version of Farmville/Cityville
2) Risk board game
3) Paper-Rock Scissors gameplay

I looked into it because playing it will let you unlock some extra stuff in R3 like art galleries and cheats, but now I'm hooked on it - this is the best facebook game I've played.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
10 more hours until I finally get my hands on this game, won't be able to play it until I finish work though :-(, I want this game to be better than RFoM but we'll have to see, I'm intrigued as to what my own feelings will be after I finish it, based off of peoples impressions on here I just can't predict what they'll be.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I swear that Haven and St.Louis are shooter nirvana lol so great its like the Corinth River in KZ2!

dralla

If you're having trouble in certain spots, remember you can use the auger to see someone through a wall, than use the Proton shot of the Deadeye to take him out, the reticle stays in the same spot when you switch weapons

mclaren777

I'm stuck in the VTOL level. I used the zipline, killed the enemies, and met the flight crew but I can't advance the story.

Edit: it just glitched

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hit a little difficulty spike in NY. Got killed twice... I think I'd only died once until that point (fighting a boss, because I didn't run to where I was "supposed to"). Just playing on normal though.

I remember R1 being a lot harder. This newest area is challenging... I can't tell if it's infinite spawning enemies or not. They are kicking my ass with the auger + sniper combo. I pop out I get sniped, take cover and they shoot me through it lol.

About to finish the game... but trying to tear myself away from Dead Island.

Anyway... I think the game was very good so far. Not a favorite, but it was enjoyable enough. I don't like the MP and the SP is pretty short, so kind of expensive. Probably should've waited for a price drop.

Cudder

Any reports of reduced lag in multi with the new patch?

Also, does doing a few levels in co-op on Superhuman cancel getting the trophy?

JB1981

Kind of a spoiler. Great moment with
Joe Capellii
near the end of the game. One of the best acted scenes ever.

Reckoner

it's incredible how games evolved this generation. initially, they were like ps2 games in a literal way made in HD with better graphics, now they are really new, completely structured cinematic experiences with awesome visuals and some scripted stuff that makes everything look so believable and beautiful.

the games that made me realize the evolution were, undoubtedly, infamous 2, uncharted 2 and resistance 3 which is the more flagrant example, comparing to the first one.

Evolved1

JB1981 said:
Joe Capelli
at the radio
. One of the best acted scenes ever.

I thought that was very good. Definitely one of the story highlights.

ShogunX

There is no way Insomniac play tested the Capture the Flag mode properly because the mode is borderline broken. Not only does it take too long to pick up the enemy flag leaving you vulnerable but the spawn system is flat out broken.

On Chapter 12 in the campaign and I've played some more MP tonight. The MP is starting to grow on me and I'm really starting to understand the appeal. The campaign is just... FPS perfection in so many ways.

The only thing I can really think about right now is how criminally underrated this game is by critics. It's a shame that it's flying under the radar so much, it really is something special.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The_Darkest_Red said:
On Chapter 12 in the campaign and I've played some more MP tonight. The MP is starting to grow on me and I'm really starting to understand the appeal. The campaign is just... FPS perfection in so many ways.

The only thing I can really think about right now is how criminally underrated this game is by critics. It's a shame that it's flying under the radar so much, it really is something special.
Same here. It's honestly a benchmark for FPS design. It combines the best parts of old school design with modern FPS design mixed with some incredible atmosphere. It's really sad that I'm the only person on my friend list that's playing this.

Ashes

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Same here. It's honestly a benchmark for FPS design. It combines the best parts of old school design with modern FPS design mixed with some incredible atmosphere. It's really sad that I'm the only person on my friend list that's playing this.

And that is when you realize the value of individual reviewers.

edit: Gaf I mean. not youtube user comments.

I've just reached
New York
. Just amazing. From Chapters 12 to now has just been amazing, and some of the best stuff I've played this year, I kid you not. It does seem this game has been a bit underrated by the gaming press. Best Resistance game I've played, and in my opinion, one of the better FPS games of the current generation. And the lighting, just gorgeous. Plus, thus far, the story has been fantastic.

IG, you guys rock. You knocked it out of the park. I'm saving the last few chapters for Saturday evening. Really hoping it ends strong.

Evolved1

RoboPlato said:

I don't really like that half the game was
survival horror
and the stupid
sledgehammer
is one of the worst most anticlimactic weapons in recent memory... I was pretty annoyed when that took up my last weapon slot. Was hoping for something actually cool.

It's been a very good game though. FPS perfection? Well... it definitely gives the other shooters a run for their money at least.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
From Chapters 12 to now has just been amazing, and some of the best stuff I've played this year, I kid you not.
That's great to hear, that's right where I stopped and I'm already loving what I've seen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Evolved1 said:
I don't really like that half the game was
survival horror
and the stupid
sledgehammer
is one of the worst most anticlimactic weapons in recent memory... I was pretty annoyed when that took up my last weapon slot. Was hoping for something actually cool.

It's been a very good game though. FPS perfection? Well... it definitely gives the other shooters a run for their money at least.
I loved the
survival horror
stuff. I agree about the last weapon but around the time I got it I started getting the some of the guns to level 3 which breathes a lot of new life into the gunplay. Honestly, I've just been wanting a game to have a tone like this for a long time and Insomniac has executed that aspect perfectly.

Grisby

The_Darkest_Red said:

I gotta disagree. Just finished. The first half of this game is great but the latter half was only average both in looks and enemy encounters. To me, this is a good game and the best Resistance game but the latter half made me glad this was a rental.

I'll do a more in depth review later. Trying to get into the MP now but am getting hit by lag which oddly enough, wasn't there last night before this 'lag' patch.

Quick note, really glad they changed Capelli. So much better then Hale, jesus.

Evolved1

RoboPlato said:
I loved the
survival horror
stuff. I agree about the last weapon but around the time I got it I started getting the some of the guns to level 3 which breathes a lot of new life into the gunplay.

That's true... weapon upgrades was a lot of fun. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't realize it actually changed the appearance. I lvl'd the Bullseye and a couple others so quick I didn't get to appreciate the different gun models.

Grisby said:
I gotta disagree. Just finished. The first half of this game is great but the latter half was only average both in looks and enemy encounters. To me, this is a good game and the best Resistance game but the latter half made me glad this was a rental.

I'll do a more in depth review later. Trying to get into the MP now but am getting hit by lag which oddly enough, wasn't there last night before this 'lag' patch.

Quick note, really glad they changed Capelli. So much better then Hale, jesus.

How are you playing MP on a rental?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Evolved1 said:
That's true... weapon upgrades was a lot of fun. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't realize it actually changed the appearance. I lvl'd the Bullseye and a couple others so quick I didn't get to appreciate the different gun models.
The Bullseye and Magnum don't change much visually. I think the Bullseye actually just gets darker in color. It changes the least of all of them.

Evolved1

RoboPlato said:
The Bullseye and Magnum don't change much visually. I think the Bullseye actually just gets darker in color. It changes the least of all of them.

Probably why I never noticed. I didn't actually noticed until the magnum, because it morphed in my hands during a reload, and then also the sniper rifle... that's a pretty dramatic change when it hits lvl 2.

U2NUMB

I am very worried about the sales of R3.. just based on the fact that I only have a hand full of kills and where I am on the leaderboards :(

Sure hope word of mouth spreads.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Evolved1 said:
Probably why I never noticed. I didn't actually noticed until the magnum, because it morphed in my hands during a reload, and then also the sniper rifle... that's a pretty dramatic change when it hits lvl 2.
The Marksman pretty much doubles in size when it hits level 3. It looks so badass.

FPS perfection may have been a little much, I admit. :p

I think I'm just so used to cookie cutter FPS's that focus almost purely on the "cinematic experience" that I feel like I'm in gaming heaven when I find one that actually focuses on making the game fun. The best part is R3 seems to nail the cinematic aspect as well.

I just love the games IG makes, to be honest. I thought A Crack in Time was phenomenal as well.

Ummm. I'm only on chapter 4 and this game has already provided me with some of my most memorable gaming moments ever. WTF!?

The searching chimera
peeking through the boarded windows
with the light streaming through; slowly stalking my way
from hay pile to hay pile behind the patrolling chimera in the cornfield and seeing them turn around and walk right by me... Holy shitense
; the haunting, silent hill-like music droning on as I make my way through a dilapidated house...

GGs, Insomniac

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Ummm. I'm only on chapter 4 and this game has already provided me with some of my most memorable gaming moments ever. WTF!?

The searching chimera peeking through the boarded windows with the light streaming through; slowly stalking my way from hay pile to hay pile behind the patrolling chimera in the
cornfield and seeing them turn around and walk right by me... Holy shitense
; the haunting, silent hill-like music droning on as I make my way through a dilapidated house...

GGs, Insomniac
You're going to love the rest of the game.

Ashes

Banned
You know what, I'm out... Way too many spoilers... Enjoy the game guys and gals... Us poor uk peasants have to wait till tommorrow... :(

Ashes1396 said:
You know what, I'm out... Way too many spoilers... Enjoy the game guys and gals... Us poor uk peasants have to wait till tommorrow... :(
I didn't intend to spoil anything. Just adding hype. This game is fantastic.

Ashes

Banned
Grisby said:
Let's see, couldn't have been more than 8 hours, maybe even 6? It felt short.

That's the theme I'm noticing. Completetion times under 7, sometimes even claiming six hours, are rating it a poor game, overall.

Ashes

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I didn't intend to spoil anything. Just adding hype. This game is fantastic.

I know. Can't criticise anybody for liking a game.

edit: I would spoiler more though, like specific description of scenes... that's the definition of spoilers... :p

Grisby

Ashes1396 said:
That's the theme I'm noticing. Completetion times under 7, sometimes even claiming six hours, are rating it a poor game, overall.

R3 is not a poor game. I didn't say that at all. I might buy it when the price hits about 30 or so. R3 just isn' top tier to me but its a decent FPS exclusive.

Evolved1

Ashes1396 said:

Dude it usually takes me forever to finish games because I'm a completionist who checks every corner and likes to take in the atmosphere... but R3 has a balls to the wall pace that just propels you, literally sprinting, forward. So I'm probably going to clock in around 7 hrs which is pretty crazy. It's a short game. I don't really hold it against it though; any longer and I would call them on filler-tactics.

Ashes

Banned
Grisby said:
R3 is not a poor game. I didn't say that at all. I might buy it when the price hits about 30 or so. R3 just isn' top tier to me but its a decent FPS exclusive.

Poor choice of words on my behalf; I was thinking of somebody else. The general drift of the people who didn't rate it as highly as others are finishing under 7 hours...

Edit: It is I should add a perfectly legitimate opinion, If you thought I was criticising you.

Top Bottom