• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Mrbob

Good job on apologizing for the patch file sizes, IG. I accept it! But I require a bow with the apology if you really mean it. Make sure it is a good one! :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Mrbob said:
Good job on apologizing for the patch file sizes, IG. I accept it! But I require a bow with the apology if you really mean it. Make sure it is a good one! :D

I only give shit bows. Sorry. Do I still get into Cooperstown?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Just made it to
New York
. So far this game is incredible. I still have a little ways to go but I can't imagine it letting up, I'm pretty stoked to see how it ends. Now, time for some multiplayer!

gibration

Finished the campaign and now it has become one of my favorite fps of all time! Loved every moment from beginning to end. Bravo Insomniac.

EDIT: How do I start my new game+?

Ok so I just started the game with 3D and move... WHY IS THE 3D SO TERRIBLE? Crosstalk galore! Also it seems as if there are problems with the depth as text seems to be in the background rather than popping out. jstevenson, will there be a fix for this? I have a Panny and I have never experienced crosstalk like this on any other game, I almost never get crosstalk tbh...

Cudder

Playing through Superhuman now, I think I'm on chapter 6 or 7. It's a lot more fun than it was on Normal. On Normal you could use any gun you wanted in any situation and get by, but on Superhuman you really have to think about your next move and consider which weapons to use when.

I recommend starting it on Hard for first time through.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just played about 2 hours of team death match. Im enjoying it more than the beta. Headshots...kinda really count in this game. (i finished my first game 20-14 with 15 headshots and 7 assists). I wonder what other people think about the damage distribution.

Beat it, thoughts on the campaign (I'm not likely to spend much time in multiplayer)

Cool
-------
-first rate art direction. The decrepit town at the start in particular blew me away. The world really feels like it's been lived in... and beaten down.
Also loved the frozen New York with return of that beautiful snow effect
-effective horror elements and general creepiness. The first game only touched on this kind of thing and the second just about eschewed it completely.
-the weapon wheel is back. So many fun options that I often found myself bringing it up and having to take a few seconds to decide what I wanted to use.
-some excellent battle set-pieces with many ways to approach them via the aforementioned arsenal and good level design.
-improved music went well with the ominous mood. I didn't notice it too much, but that's good, because in the other games I too often noticed how mediocre the scores were
-perfect length. It's not that long but considering the fast pace, variety of locales and the replay value (of course I'm going to replay it using different weapons... gotta upgrade them all) there's a good amount of game here
-I liked whole cross-country odyssey angle. Seeing what happened to different regions,
getting a look at the collapse of civilization via the Wardens
, etc
-headshots are so satisfying in this game, those Chimeran skulls bust reeaaalll good like

Uncool
--------
-health system. Too often I found myself either scrambling around in the middle of battle hoping to get a lucky kill against a health-carrying Chimera for an instant pick-me-up, or wasting time retracing steps and searching dark corners before moving on. I don't care for that kind of thing anymore. The first game had a decent compromise.
-you spend too much time in the second act killing Grims and other pests, not a lot of reason to use the more exotic weapon functions there
-the low image quality is unfortunate, but if that's what they needed to do to have the game run solidly with all the effects and action, it was a good trade-off. Crystal clear IQ isn't as important in a game with this gritty aesthetic as it is in an Uncharted game
-Capelli isn't interesting. The
scene with the radio
was well done, but kind of wasted on him. Him looking exactly like John Hamm with Travis Touchdown's voice was also offputting
-I miss R2's addictive and unique co-op mode

Took a while for this series to really find its own voice, they really nailed it this time. Definitely a grade A FPS campaign. Feels like there's no excitement for this game, though... only one other dude on my friendslist is playing it and the review scores don't do it justice. I personally don't care about that, but a lot of people do. An 83 on metacritic just looks wrong considering what some inferior competitors have gotten... R1 and R2 included. I hope I'm wrong and this ends up being a huge hit

XTERC

Picked the game up today and I must say I was not expecting THIS, what a great campaign (so far). Everything looks, sounds and feels perfect. I had to stop myself from playing too long as I don't want to spoil it too quickly.

Duffyside

Banned
Man, this game is really starting to fall off for me. Really starting to show your seams, R3.

Just for future reference, Insomniac; when you make an encounter like that, you're supposed to make it so your NPC partners constantly scream "RPG!!!!!!!!" Though they'd probably scream it about twice as much in that damn level. Fuck's sake.

And screw all you whiners who demanded the health packs be back. I was all "whatever" at first, but not anymore. When you're down to just two slivers of health, and you don't see any health packs around, what the fuck are you supposed to do?

Iknos

Sorry for not participating in this thread but I got this game as a present with the Move Gun bundle and I haven't opened it up yet but I've read a review saying that the sharpshooter sucks for this game.

Just want to know if I should use the gift receipt to return it. Does the Move portions suck?

Really like FPS games but never played much of the Resistance games and I'm open to playing the first 2 to completion before this one.

I'm thinking of returning this and spending the money I get back on all 3 Resistance games and if I have some extra towards F1 2011.

If GT5 supported Move I would keep it. But it doesn't so I won't have much use for the sharpshooter and move controllers.

Gotta make a decision by tomorrow night.

duffyside said:
And screw all you whiners who demanded the health packs be back. I was all "whatever" at first, but not anymore. When you're down to just two slivers of health, and you don't see any health packs around, what the fuck are you supposed to do?

Die. If you've recently passed a checkpoint, you'll come back with half your health, even if you passed it with a sliver. Die again and you'll come back with 75%!

For games like this, it's a lame system best left in the past

Reckoner

duffyside said:
Man, this game is really starting to fall off for me. Really starting to show your seams, R3.

Just for future reference, Insomniac; when you make an encounter like that, you're supposed to make it so your NPC partners constantly scream "RPG!!!!!!!!" Though they'd probably scream it about twice as much in that damn level. Fuck's sake.

that's just part of the fun. trying to survive.

patsu

Iknos said:
Sorry for not participating in this thread but I got this game as a present with the Move Gun bundle and I haven't opened it up yet but I've read a review saying that the sharpshooter sucks for this game.

Just want to know if I should use the gift receipt to return it. Does the Move portions suck?

Really like FPS games but never played much of the Resistance games and I'm open to playing the first 2 to completion before this one.

I'm thinking of returning this and spending the money I get back on all 3 Resistance games and if I have some extra towards F1 2011.

If GT5 supported Move I would keep it. But it doesn't so I won't have much use for the sharpshooter and move controllers.

Gotta make a decision by tomorrow night.

Play the game. Get rid of the sharpshooter and Move if you want to.

But LBP2 Move pack is coming, so see if you or your friends like Move.

Duffyside

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Die. If you've recently passed a checkpoint, you'll come back with half your health, even if you passed it with a sliver. Die again and you'll come back with 75%!

It's a lame system best left in the past
Exactly. And I'm sure one of the reasons you recognize how lame it is is because often those checkpoints sort of suck. You'll kill 50 dudes, die, and then have to kill the 50 dudes again.

patsu

revolverjgw said:

It's a lame system best left in the past

It's an appropriate system for this game. Adds tension. They buff you up with Health pack at the beginning of huge encounters anyway. And you have the whole arsenal of upgradable weapons. I use Auger a lot to scope the environment.

duffyside said:
Exactly. And I'm sure one of the reasons you recognize how lame it is is because often those checkpoints sort of suck. You'll kill 50 dudes, die, and then have to kill the 50 dudes again.

Depends on what difficulty level you play as. Towards the end, it can get very difficult. Drop the level if you want. The checkpoint sometimes save the encounters halfway, so you only need to start from halfway point. I think there is only one huge encounter where they missed out a checkpoint. It made the game a little frustrating.

EDIT: ... and with that. I am happy to say I completed the campaign. Had to drop difficulty back to Normal in one encounter. Had to wrap up the game coz work is piling up. Superb job, Insomniac.

I <3 RFOM, and this is a better RFOM than RFOM.

Duffyside

Banned
patsu said:
It's an appropriate system for this game. Adds tension. They buff you up with Health pack at the beginning of huge encounters anyway. And you have the whole arsenal of upgradable weapons. I use Auger a lot to scope the environment.
Disagree. I don't think there's any less tension in a game where you know if you take one more hit you're gonna die so you scramble and duck behind a safe spot, maybe even throw out a mine to protect yourself, guard the only opening you know of. In fact, that may be even MORE tense. Now it's like "oh, I have no health... don't see any packs... well, I can run around like an asshole or just die." Frustration is not tension.

patsu

duffyside said:
Disagree. I don't think there's any less tension in a game where you know if you take one more hit you're gonna die so you scramble and duck behind a safe spot, maybe even throw out a mine to protect yourself, guard the only opening you know of. In fact, that may be even MORE tense. Now it's like "oh, I have no health... don't see any packs... well, I can run around like an asshole or just die." Frustration is not tension.

You will approach the game differently when you know that your health is low. That's the tension I'm talking about.

For encounter that requires you to duck, you're probably in the midst of a firefight. Just fall back and use a different (read: more effective) approach. Like pull out the big guns, or use shield. Some weapons are more effective against certain enemy type. Switch to use them where appropriate.

patsu said:

It depends on how damage is balanced. Neither system is inherently more "tense"... in fact, with this system I know I can rush into battle and kill a certain Chimera, instantly recharging my health even while being shot in the face.

I prefer less health that requires ducking away to a place safe from fire to recharge. Especially since it doesn't require any post-fight dicking around to find a random health kit. And there's no situation where I can get a huge health boost simply by dying right after I pass a checkpoint.

Duffyside

Banned
patsu said:
You will approach the game differently when you know that your health is low. That's the tension I'm talking about.

For encounter that requires you to duck, you're probably in the midst of a firefight. Just fall back and use a different (read: more effective) approach. Like pull out the big guns, or use shield. Some weapons are more effective against certain enemy type. Switch to use them where appropriate.
Yep. You'll either run around like an asshole, choose to just die, or, what I suppose you're talking about, you'll start being super careful so you don't die and can make it to the next checkpoint or health pack. And then, after crawling carefully, checking every corner, moving slowly, checking your back, doing all this for five minutes, then you'll die anyway and have to do it all over. Oh boy.

patsu

revolverjgw said:
It depends on how damage is balanced. Neither system is inherently more "tense"... in fact, with this system I know I can rush into battle and kill a certain Chimera, instantly recharging my health even while being shot in the face.

I health that requires ducking away to a place safe from fire to recharge. Especially since it doesn't require any post-fight dicking around to find a random health kit.

That's what R2 uses. ^_^

I'm talking about the tension during the traversal, not necessarily in the middle of a huge fight. ^_^ With a rechargeable health, you always explore in full health; but not with this system.

duffyside said:
Yep. You'll either run around like an asshole, choose to just die, or, what I suppose you're talking about, you'll start being super careful so you don't die and can make it to the next checkpoint or health pack. And then, after crawling carefully, checking every corner, moving slowly, checking your back, doing all this for five minutes, then you'll die anyway and have to do it all over. Oh boy.

That's on paper. The game's checkpoint and level design help because they sprinkle just about the right number of serum for you to recover (except for one encounter near the end).

When I'm low on health, I run to open space if the enemies has short range (melee type); or I hide and snipe, Auger, rocket or Marksman alt-fire.

patsu said:
That's what R2 uses. ^_^

I'm talking about the tension during the traversal, not necessarily in the middle of a huge fight. ^_^ With a rechargeable health, you always explore in full health; but not with this system.

Almost all of the time, you can readily find health kits after a battle anyway... you might have to waste time going backwards or searching the environment, but you rarely have to go into the next encounter with little health. And if you do, you've probably just passed a checkpoint anyway... just die and you'll get it back.

Duffyside

Banned
patsu said:
That's what R2 uses. ^_^

Which is why the right decision would've been for half, or a third of your health to recharge. Or if there's 40 slivers, always recharge 15 and no more. A compromise would've worked well for Resistance 3.

patsu

revolverjgw said:
Almost all of the time, you can readily find health kits after a battle anyway... you might have to waste time going backwards or searching the environment, but you rarely have to go into the next encouncter with little health. And if you do, just die and you'll get it back anyway.

Not always. If you get careless, you can get your health reduced soon after a recovery.

duffyside said:
Which is why the right decision would've been for half, or a third of your health to recharge. Or if there's 40 slivers, always recharge 15 and no more. A compromise would've worked well for Resistance 3.

Same difference. That's similar to RFOM. It will recharge to the next quarter. Then again, you'll still find careful people scurrying around for serum. There are enough firepower in the wheel to pull through most situations, including a mix encounter of big and small enemies. Exploit the AI and wheel together. Try a different approach after a death. The result can be very different if you use the right combination of weapons.

gibration

Gr1mLock said:
I just played about 2 hours of team death match. Im enjoying it more than the beta. Headshots...kinda really count in this game. (i finished my first game 20-14 with 15 headshots and 7 assists). I wonder what other people think about the damage distribution.
I love that headshots do more damage. Separates the good from the bad. It's not hard to get a headshot either but it is hard to continuously keep getting them.

Duffyside

Banned
patsu said:
That's on paper. The game's checkpoint and level design help because they sprinkle just about the right number of serum for you to recover (except for one encounter near the end).

When I'm low on health, I run to open space if the enemies has short range (melee type); or I hide and snipe, Auger, rocket or Marksman alt-fire.
... No? No, I'm actually playing the game, not reading a review and regurgitating what I read. This is what has happened to me.

In case you're just going to go the full-step and say then I should just be a better gamer; oh yeah? That one part at the end where you claim it was poorly designed? Not for me. I got through no problem, with health packs to spare no less! Huh... it's just on paper that anyone would have a problem with it, because things went swimmingly for me!

patsu

duffyside said:
... No? No, I'm actually playing the game, not reading a review and regurgitating what I read. This is what has happened to me.

In case you're just going to go the full-step and say then I should just be a better gamer; oh yeah? That one part at the end where you claim it was poorly designed? Not for me. I got through no problem, with health packs to spare no less! Huh... it's just on paper that anyone would have a problem with it, because things went swimmingly for me!

Then be specific. Which chapter or encounter are you talking about ? ^_^

Btw, there is Health Regen cheat in the Extras menu. I didn't try it. You can buy it using your game points -- if you really want to play the game that way.

EDIT:
There are options for you to give the AI better weapons, secondary fire, etc. too. Will try it some day.

Duffyside

Banned
patsu said:
Then be specific. Which chapter or encounter are you talking about ? ^_^

Btw, there is Health Regen cheat in the Extras menu. I didn't try it. You can buy it using your game points -- if you really want to play the game that way.

EDIT:
There are options for you to give the AI better weapons, secondary fires, etc. too. Will try it some day.
It's gotten worse as the game has gone on.
The Wardens. The stalker with the shield in New York. And the worst offender yet; coming out the ass of that plane in New York. Oh, and disabling the shield walls in New York.

Yeah, actually when I heard
New York
was going to be a location, I was disappointed. I saw people saying they thought it was great and that it involved
snow
and I was suddenly excited. But woe is me... it's really the low-point of the game. In every way.

I have a question about a certain fight:
In the second Widowmaker fight, I got to the third 'stage', everytime I'd shoot at the exposed guts or whatever, the hit markers wouldn't register at all. I depleted a few weapons ammunition trying to kill the damn thing but I couldn't. I'm not sure if it was bugged, I hadn't just done enough damage, or I had to trigger some special event. In any case, it's the first time in the campaign that I've been seriously annoyed. I'll give it another go in a little bit to see if I can get the thing killed.

Other than that though, I've seriously enjoyed the campaign thus far. Not too sure how much I have to go, but I think I'm close. The multiplayer however, has been pretty annoying from what I've played.

The jankyness of the multiplayer is seriously putting me off. The tail end of the beta was more stable than the actual retail release is right now. When the framerate doesn't go to complete shit, it's fun, but unfortunately for me the game is constantly choppy which is just completely not fun. Plus, dropping into games underway with your team being down and then having the rest of your team quit just isn't enjoyable either. Of the few games I've played, I have to say I haven't been having much fun in the multiplayer, at least compared to the fun I had playing the beta. :/

Duffyside

Banned
theAntagonist said:
I have a question about a certain fight:
In the second Widowmaker fight, I got to the third 'stage', everytime I'd shoot at the exposed guts or whatever, the hit markers wouldn't register at all. I depleted a few weapons ammunition trying to kill the damn thing but I couldn't. I'm not sure if it was bugged, I hadn't just done enough damage, or I had to trigger some special event. In any case, it's the first time in the campaign that I've been seriously annoyed. I'll give it another go in a little bit to see if I can get the thing killed.
Hm, didn't happen to me. Sounds like a bug. Unless you were making a serious mistake like trying to shoot through a window with a grate over it.

NBtoaster

I think I'm at about Chapter 13 and Resistance 3 has surpassed Killzone 3 on my "list of the best fps this year". We'll see if it eclipses Crysis 2.

Iknos

patsu said:
Play the game. Get rid of the sharpshooter and Move if you want to.

But LBP2 Move pack is coming, so see if you or your friends like Move.

I can't return it if the package is open.

So should I bother opening it?

njean777

duffyside said:

You are just bad at the game then, I did not find any part of the game overly hard. I played on difficult also.

duffyside said:
Hm, didn't happen to me. Sounds like a bug. Unless you were making a serious mistake like trying to shoot through a window with a grate over it.

Yeah that wasn't it, I was out in the open taking the fight head on because I was getting annoyed.
I even stood underneath the thing and unloaded like a full chamber of incendiary shotgun rounds into it. I also used all the Wildfire ammo I had and it still hadn't died.
I'm definitely thinking it was a bug and will give it another go in a little bit.

Why is there a Deathmatch Small but not a Team Deathmatch Small? I thought there was going to be a 4v4 playlist for all gametypes, but I guess not?

Duffyside

Banned
njean777 said:
You are just bad at the game then, I did not find any part of the game overly hard. I played on difficult also.
What a stunningly good argument. You should be a detective, or a professional gamer.

I never called the game hard. Called it frustrating and bad at parts.

Agent X

The Praiseworthy said:
Didn't they test the game before they print it?

Why 2 big patches in only 3 days?

Come on Insomniac I love you guys but this is ridicules :\

At least one of the patches (possibly both) was intended to fix issues that popped up during the multiplayer beta after the disc went gold (was finalized for production). This isn't so unusual in this day and age for multiplayer games, particularly highly anticipated ones that have beta tests and collect feedback from users.

njean777

duffyside said:
What a stunningly good argument. You should be a detective, or a professional gamer.

I never called the game hard. Called it frustrating and bad at parts.

The point is you knew they were going back to healthpacks, why complain about them when you knew this while buying the game. You should have known this was going to happen at some point in the game, it happens in almost every game that uses helathpacks.

mr stroke

Game is fun so far(about half way through) Easily the best Resistance game. It sucks the graphics are poor. Great art style, just poor image quality. Every thing is a blurry sub HD mess.

Reave

njean777 said:
That's a little dismissive, don't you think? I think he brought up a fairly decent argument, right or wrong.

Top Bottom