• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Thrakier

Number45 said:
Is there any way of changing the crosshair sensitivity for when you're zoomed in using the Move? At the moment looking down the sights is UTTERLY useless, because a) it snaps to the centre of the screen rather than where you're aiming and b) it takes forever to acquire a target (this is worsened by the fact that, because of a), you're more than likely nowhere near the target).

Hopefully I'm missing something, but if not then I'll be switching back to the DS3. I played Killzone3 with the Move and despite taking some time to get used to the movement it felt infinitely more natural in that game. :(

That's such a pity indeed. :( It's really sad because it's not like they didn't have a best practice example right in front of their noses all the time. It's fine to do it "your way" but if you do it "your way" then please, make sure it's not shitty!

Ashes

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
£42 in the shops for this, what the hell. Can't remember the last time I had to pay OVER £40 for a game..

Special edition is £44 games.

Okay gonna play live.

No more spoilers... Lets see how long this game is in real time... Starting at this post's posting time....

edit: just paused the game; somebody said, you couldn't pause it during a cutscene? it worked in the first instance... maybe in game though...

madmackem

Ashes1396 said:

Okay gonna play live.

No more spoilers... Lets see how long this game is in real time... Starting at this post's posting time....

edit: just paused the game; somebody said, you couldn't pause it during a cutscene? it worked in the first instance... maybe in game though...

£47.99 for the special in game this morning. Robbing fuckers.

Hixx

DaNcaKe said:
£37.90 in Tesco (I think).
Ashes1396 said:

Only got a Grainger Games, Gamestation and Argos in town. Asda too but they are awful at putting games out on release day, apart from FIFA and CoD.

Now to shift the PS3 back up here and install, can't wait.

Number45

HixxSAFC said:
Only got a Grainger Games, Gamestation and Argos in town. Asda too but they are awful at putting games out on release day, apart from FIFA and CoD.

Weird, standard edition was £39.99 at our Gamestation.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Number45 said:
Is there any way of changing the crosshair sensitivity for when you're zoomed in using the Move? At the moment looking down the sights is UTTERLY useless, because a) it snaps to the centre of the screen rather than where you're aiming and b) it takes forever to acquire a target (this is worsened by the fact that, because of a), you're more than likely nowhere near the target).

Hopefully I'm missing something, but if not then I'll be switching back to the DS3. I played Killzone3 with the Move and despite taking some time to get used to the movement it felt infinitely more natural in that game. :(

Not really the case. Iron sights pop up in the middle of the screen, but camera tilts so that middle of the screen = on-screen cursor position. It is true tho that camera might move on its own if no enemy is being aimed at.

http://youtu.be/EJkda5B7-2I?hd=1&t=24m13s (watch the whole thing for a better understanding of how the whole ADS thing works)

As for b) don't try to "fine tune" aim but rather drag the sights towards the target and it will snap to it thanks to the camera assist.

I do agree this is not optimal solution. But at the end of the day camera assist makes it work pretty well.

Example: http://youtu.be/EJkda5B7-2I?hd=1&t=28m8s

BTW, did you shrink the bounding box to minimum?

Also, anyone proficient with the Move tried it online already? I'm still waiting for the final code to arrive to check myself.

Hixx

Yay, only just realized we got the double sided cover too. Someone posted a pic the other day of the cover and it didn't have the PS3 bar on the top and side and I thought it looked a bit too bare but UK edition has it so it looks seriously ace. Hopefully more publishers do stuff like that, small thing but classy.

I wish I knew why the wireless on my PS3 was so slow. Have had to hook it up via ethernet because it hadn't finished updating since my last post (nearly an hour and a half), was going to take 2 hours via wireless, about 7 minutes wired. Old 32" 720p telly instead of 1080p 50" though. First world problems, eh.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Didn't get to play much after the first boss due to the big patch and install, but I absolutely love the art direction in this game already. Makes me think of Spielberg's War of the Worlds (which I think borrowed heavily from Half-Life 2).

Cesar

Banned
I don't know what it is but the guns just feel right in this game. I really enjoy just shooting enemies because it feels satisfying. Can't really put my finger on it why though. I think it has the best gunplay of any PS3 FPS I've played.

HixxSAFC said:

Just my SE copy from Gamestation for £45 so yould should be able to get one from their if you want.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really like the sprint animation/effects in R3. Kinda wish there was a little bit of gunsway during normal movement though... I found myself noticing its absence a lot during gameplay. A little too oldschool for me, but they really improved the gun animation and camera during sprinting. At least during those moments it felt weighter than the last games.

Ashes

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Yay, only just realized we got the double sided cover too. Someone posted a pic the other day of the cover and it didn't have the PS3 bar on the top and side and I thought it looked a bit too bare but UK edition has it so it looks seriously ace. Hopefully more publishers do stuff like that, small thing but classy.

I wish I knew why the wireless on my PS3 was so slow. Have had to hook it up via ethernet because it hadn't finished updating since my last post (nearly an hour and a half), was going to take 2 hours via wireless, about 7 minutes wired. Old 32" 720p telly instead of 1080p 50" though. First world problems, eh.

Pics?

I'm taking a break. I'm playing with my brother. Though Single player, instead of co-op. I've arrived @
St Louis.

self reminder post#2952

Ashes

Banned
Meisadragon said:
The sound design is amazing. Totally immerses you in the game.

I've put it up high, having learnt from the boat demo, but in the retail game, the music doesn't kick in like it does there, and
the shot gun doesn't have the flame burst thing a ma jig.

Just looked at the time... Where did the time go?

madmackem

CozMick said:
Micro Stutter
Micro Stutter
Micro Stutter
Micro Stutter
Micro Stutter

Please Insomniac, fix the Micro Stutter. :\

Yeah whats with this in mp, its making it hard to aim and shoot people when its micro stutters it almost feels like mega frame drops etc but having played the two maps in the beta for so long i know they didnt suffer from this effect.

Also is the fuel granade only for sp as i cant find it for mp.

Hixx

Ashes1396 said:
Pics?

I'm taking a break. I'm playing with my brother. Though Single player, instead of co-op. I've arrived @
St Louis.

self reminder post#2952

ueLix.jpg

Number45

TTP said:
BTW, did you shrink the bounding box to minimum?
First thing I changed:
qB5o5l.jpg

It still feels unwieldy when zooming though. I had watched some of your analysis previously, I'll watch the rest of it shortly to see if it helps at all. :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ashes1396 said:
I've put it up high, having learnt from the boat demo, but in the retail game, the music doesn't kick in like it does there, and
the shot gun doesn't have the flame burst thing a ma jig.

Just looked at the time... Where did the time go?
The music is too low in the mix.

leng jai said:
The audio does indeed rock, especially compared to the meek shit we got in the earlier games.
One thing I noticed in this game is that it has much better directionality and LFE is implemented correctly. R2 LFE had a ton of noise in it.

Absolutely fantastic game so far, so much better than the first 2. I love how similar it feels to the first one, and the weapons pack a real punch now, which was missing entirely in the second one. Just a few little technical issues that annoy me every now and then but other than that... phenomenal. Also.. holy shit when this game looks good... boy does it look good.

JB1981

Haven't finished the game yet. The game is far more hopeless, violent and desparate than I ever expected it to be. It has an immediacy that was lacking in previous games. Joe Cappelli and his story is far more gripping than Hale's as well. Insomniac took all the criticism to heart this time. They were clearly listening and I think this game clearly shows that they too were not happy with the final product that was Resistance 2. I mean, I know they stand by that game publically but the radical change in approach with this game (though I guess the story does justify it) seems to support my point. Can't wait to finish the game tonight.

JB1981 said:
Haven't finished the game yet ***spoilers
removed
The game is far more hopeless, violent and desparate than I ever expected it to be. It has an immediacy that was lacking in previous games. Joe Cappelli and his story is far more gripping than Hale's as well. Insomniac took all the criticism to heart this time. They were clearly listening and I think this game clearly shows that they too were not happy with the final product that was Resistance 2. I mean, I know they stand by that game publically but the radical change in approach with this game (though I guess the story does justify it) seems to support my point. Can't wait to finish the game tonight.
Crap. I was hoping I was far enough in the game that I could read your spoiler safely. I'm not.

JB1981

The_Darkest_Red said:
Crap. I was hoping I was far enough in the game that I could read your spoiler safely. I'm not.

duuuuuuuuuude!!!!! ill remove it now. I did spoiler tag it man. :(

i am sorry maybe i should have stressed that it was a big big spoiler. my bad man :(

Effect

I'm not sure if I'm liking the multiplayer. It's not the guns or the abilities but the maps themselves. A lot of times it's like a zerg rush. One group against the other and it's down to who gets lucky. Going to stop the team deathmatch playing to see if things are different in Chain Raction and War Games.

Move controls are pretty good in the SP. Like Killzone 3 though there isn't any customization. :( I really want to remap the aim, secondary fire, and crouch buttons. It actually feels better in SP then MP but that could just be due to how random actual players can be. Might actual try it out with the normal controller for a change. I rarely use the aim option. It simply doesn't feel good to me like so many other games.

leng jai

TheExecutive said:
One thing I noticed in this game is that it has much better directionality and LFE is implemented correctly. R2 LFE had a ton of noise in it.

The LFE (bass) is pretty spot on this time, and pretty aggressive. Guns sound a lot better too - hard to imagine its from the same developer.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Number45 said:
First thing I changed:
qB5o5l.jpg

It still feels unwieldy when zooming though. I had watched some of your analysis previously, I'll watch the rest of it shortly to see if it helps at all. :)

hmm... try increasing the turn speed. I had it set to max (and actually wish it would go faster).

Achtius

I just finished the SP campaign, while the story is good, a lot of the questions from R2 was left unanswered.
Cloven
were mentioned once in the game but where are they now, they did not explain the
chimeran tower (why were they there in the first place), gray tech (again, where did it come from), the "war" between chimera and the other race, what was the prometheus weapon.
. But I enjoy the storytelling much more than I did in R2, R2 just jumps too much without any cohesion.

Time for multiplayer!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
JB1981 said:
The AI is not game's strong suit, unfortunately.

AI isn't a strong point in many games unfortunately, not imo anyway, the Halo's, Fear, and parts of Crysis are the only games I remember really being impressed by the AI.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Finished last night

Good Story, even better gameplay. The last 3 chapters of the game were great. The best SP FPS campaign in a long ass time.

GG Insomniac.

Duffyside

Banned
Meisadragon said:
The sound design is amazing. Totally immerses you in the game.
Well... SOME of it is, right? I mean, throwing a molotov for instance is completely unsatisfying and weird. But the Bullseye sounds great.

Speaking of bottles, did anyone else run across the spontaneously exploding bottles after
picking up the power cell with Charlie
? Near the pool table area; shoot one, they all explode!

Reckoner

I have to say that I'm not finding the game easier; the thing is that the new weapon mechanics, overall polishment of the game, etc., open the gamee for a wide variety of new tactics that if used correctly, yes... in that case Resistance 3 could be beaten with less effort. you just have to use your mind and know where to use the weapons.

I find the new revolver secondary fire one of the funniest things I've ever used in a fps game. and those
survival sequences
are being so fucking great.

also tried to play multiplayer but it is feeling very inconsistent and laggy. don't know what's happening with you, IG, and all this update mess. I remember that in the later days of the beta it was really solid and a nice experience. no excuses for it being like this after two updates.

patsu

duffyside said:
Well... SOME of it is, right? I mean, throwing a molotov for instance is completely unsatisfying and weird. But the Bullseye sounds great.

Speaking of bottles, did anyone else run across the spontaneously exploding bottles after
picking up the power cell with Charlie
? Near the pool table area; shoot one, they all explode!

I missed it. 8^(

I'll probably replay the last few chapters on Difficult, and some MP for a while.

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The music is too low in the mix.

Perhaps you're right. But I've left everything on default and just put up my sound system. It is probably annoying the neighbours;but whatever..:p

I work night shifts; so I had to go sleep for a while. I literally paused the game, so I don't know if that will effect completion time. We'll restart where we left off in a bit. You can check by the post time stamp, how we're doing outside of game time to.

Starting again... Now... On this edit time...

dralla

When you use the 'cheat' that lets you use all weapons all the time, do you get ammo for guns like the Atomizer in the beginning of game? or are basically screwed if you run out till later when you actually get the gun

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ashes1396 said:
But I've left everything on default and just put up my sound system. It is probably annoying the neighbours;but whatever..:p
Yeah, I did the same lol. I really value the first playthrough.

Top Bottom