• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Duffyside

Banned
Loudninja said:
Btw duffyside soon you want need a facebook account to play Global Resistance just you PSN.
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/112257463985778688
Yeah, I saw that in the menu at some point, so I figured it was available now. But I guess later. Thanks for the head's up.

Man

I'm still early in the game. Chapter 6 or 7 or so.
In favor of saving the doctor I agree to retrieve batteries from a dropship.

Game has been totally crazy so far.

At the cost of resolution Resistance 3 got all the grit, effects and punch it can muster.
Some scenes that blew me away:
Farm house blowing away straight in front of my face. The splinter details were absolutely crazy.
The Atomizer inside the infected factory... best lighting ever!
The general gore when shooting zombies is superb.

Resistance 3 has a denser amount of graphics effect than practically any other game I've seen this gen. Shadows everywhere, everything moving, brilliant lighting and debris in the air...etc.
It isn't magic considering the subpar resolution but damn, excellent handywork still.

Loudninja

We know there is still lag and framerate issues for people. We are working on a (probably small) patch that should come soon.

This will hopefully fix a lot of issues. We are going to continue monitoring after that patch to add more fixes until things are as smooth as possible for everyone.

Before you ask: Because of how the patch submission process works, we had to push some fixes from the Beta to patch 2 and 3. Patch 2 was submitted prior to launch, so things we have seen since are going to go in to this patch. It is a long story, but I just want you to know that we are continuing to monitor and fix things, even if it takes a little bit for you to see them.

Thanks!

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=57035.0

Himself said:
My biggest beef.
Insomniac did a great job of telling the human perspective of the invasion, but they didn't offer much new info. about the Chimera whose whole existence, history, and nature is one of the more fascinating things about the Resistance games. Maybe we'll learn more next time...

I'll say it again, damn fine game.

Oh, and to whomever was asking if Fall of Man is worth $5-: I just replayed it over the summer and it's still just as fun and immersive as it was in 5 years ago.

Thames alone is worth $5.

I was able to complete the game on Difficult last night.

Overall I liked Resistance 3. The game had a lot of great moments, the train level being one of them. I loved seeing the Widowmakers just go after those former prisoners in those jeeps. I didn't expect the death of Malikov from the former prisoners at all after the train crashed from a Widowmaker. It was cool to go the rest of the way in the game alone, though, besides being helped by that one guy in the prison that is. When I got to New York, I was in love. The snow is great, and I just loved the atmosphere. Granted, I loved the look of Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania at night, but I'm a sucker for snow levels. It got even better when I got to get into the terraformer, and I was like OMG when it all started falling apart. The ending unfortunately was dull. I wanted something that would be memorable, but all we got was Capelli getting off of the plane and kissing his wife and hugging his child. It just could have been better, in my opinion.

I played the whole single player with the Move, and I had a blast. Insomniac did a really great job with the Move implementation. Though, there were times when the Move crosshair would be on the screen when a real time cutscene was playing. It also works really well in the multiplayer part of the game as well. Which I must say is just so awesome. I played a handful of rounds when I completed the game, and I love the new maps. I only played Deathmatch, and I will check out the gametypes soon enough. Compared to the Beta, I love it much more. I guess cause I was playing with the Dualshock 3 during the Beta, and now I'm using the Move. I'm thinking it makes a big difference in the feel of the game, in my opinion. So, that's pretty much it for my impressions. Gonna play the game again sometime soon on Superhuman and I'm going to try to get the rest of the trophies. As of now, though, I'm going to keep playing the awesome multiplayer.

Hixx

I'm about half way through the game I guess, on Difficult. Been pretty easy so far, though I like the health system; there's times when you know you have to be right on your game to get through certainly but most of the time health packs are plentiful.

The
Ravenholm-esque (homage?)
mission went on a bit long considering it basically the same thing over and over but until then I was thoroughly enjoying it and from reading the thread it gets even better. LOVE having the weapon wheel back, makes the game always feel fresh, apart from the mission I mentioned.

Just finished on Normal. Is there really nothing after the credits? Really? The ending was pretty underwhelming. Other than that I thought it was great. I would have liked more insight into what the hell the Chimera are doing and their origins, but I liked what is there.

CozMick

Banned
I'm starting to think that the lag and stutter is party related.

I've been playing all day in a party and it was fairly unplayable most of the time, but tonight I've been going in lone wolf and there is no lag whatsoever :\

When Resistance 3 is lag-free it is easily the best first person shooter on consoles.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
ToyMachine228 said:
Just finished on Normal. Is there really nothing after the credits? Really? The ending was pretty underwhelming. Other than that I thought it was great. I would have liked more insight into what the hell the Chimera are doing and their origins, but I liked what is there.
the ending seemed like a resource issue, it could've/should've been more, but there's enough closure for me.

They closed this Chapter almost completely but by reading some of the journals and the scientific theories, Insomniac left room for Resistance in the future.

patsu

What is the relationship between the PSP Resistance game and the PS3 ones ? Different character in which time frame ?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
They closed this Chapter almost completely but by reading some of the journals and the scientific theories, Insomniac left room for Resistance in the future.

I'm sorry but coming home and hugging your family after blowing up a building isn't really a satisfying ending. There's absolutely no insight into what the Chimera were up to in NYC, what their grand plan is/was, where they came from, etc. There's not much at all. I loved the campaign, but throughout the entire series we're basically in the dark. There's a note about Hale's cryptic comments before death too that is never elaborated on. The "can you hear them?" thing.

Multiplayer in this is one of the worst things ever really isn't it?

Well that's harsh. It's more like a nice watch, which is covered in dog crap. And doesn't even work.

I liked the beta, quite a lot actually. But now so many people are playing it I can see it for the broken, intentionally (guerrilla games style) fucked up game it is.
Shotgun is hilarious. In a game where an assault rifle takes 15+ body shots, a rapid fire shotgun kills in 1, or 2-3 if further away.

CTF, is almost playable.
Great, classic game mode. CHECK
Decent/good maps. CHECK
Scope for tactics/teamwork. CHECK

Sounds very good right? Just needs a few well balanced guns and you've got a good game. Sounds almost like RFoM.

Oh, crap. Forgot everything else in Resistance 3 which is utterly worthless and complete and utter shit.

The worst thing though. Along with GG, it seems most devs are happy to sacrifice custom games, just to save a few hours. I love the shite they come up with. 'It was found the average player could not find a game with the settings he wanted.' Well there was fucking ranked games if you wanted to play a game full of shit. Now the only option is to play a game full of shit. So it's impossible for a sizeable amount of the actual resistance fanbase to find a game with the settings they want.
Taking stuff previous games had, out of the game is unforgivable. It's why I sold KZ3, and why I'll almost certainly sell this when BF3 comes around, if not before then.

Sorry if this annoys anyone who is enjoying the game. But wanted to let out what I think of the multiplayer in this game, and I can't on myresistance.net, because it's as broken as this game.

patsu

Use Bullseye. I don't like the MP with Carbine. Once I switched to Bullseye, it's like a different game, even if the enemies have fiery shotguns.

I heard Marksman are better but I stuck with Bullseye.

EDIT: There is a hardcore mode with no perks and killstreaks.

Nice random touch I noticed- if you walk up to an NPC and get in their face with your gun, they'll lean backwards uncomfortably, leaning more as you get closer

I haven't played the multiplayer yet but I really enjoyed the beta. I don't have hardly any friends who play games on PSN so unfortunately I probably won't be spending a lot of time with it.

Slurmer

Banned
I didn't want to have to come into this thread before beating the game, but can someone help me out here or let me know if they had a similar problem in what I think is still chapter 15 in
new york

in the fight against the widowmaker and all the chimeran troops, i have unloaded my entire arsenal into the widowmaker's weak point (the red thing hanging from it's belly) multiple times now and nothing is happening. All the Chimeran troops are dead...it's just me, the widowmaker, and a dropship that is just floating in place in the arena
Is this a glitch? Should I start the segment over?

Duffyside

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Nice random touch I noticed- if you walk up to an NPC and get in their face with your gun, they'll lean backwards uncomfortably, leaning more as you get closer
Heh, yeah, I saw that too.

Not as nice as knee-tuck jump though. I will continue to mention this until I see a .gif (or until tomorrow).

patsu

Slurmer said:
I didn't want to have to come into this thread before beating the game, but can someone help me out here or let me know if they had a similar problem in what I think is still chapter 15 in
new york

in the fight against the widowmaker and all the chimeran troops, i have unloaded my entire arsenal into the widowmaker's weak point (the red thing hanging from it's belly) multiple times now and nothing is happening. All the Chimeran troops are dead...it's just me, the widowmaker, and a dropship that is just floating in place in the arena
Is this a glitch? Should I start the segment over?

LOL. Yes !

The troops should keep coming, and they would bring out the big guns. Your feral widowmaker has escaped out of the Matrix

Loudninja

patsu said:
Gah... where is the post that says they think they have found the problem ?
Thanks Furry Fury.

Yes if you are having lag issues please let us know your connection type and if it is wired/wireless. If you are seeing framerate drops, please let us know when those are occurring and what is happening at the time.

We have a patch coming soon (maybe as early as tomorrow) that will fix what we think is causing the framerate drops and a lot of the lag. But since all connections are different, it helps to get more specifics.

Thanks guys.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/index.php?topic=57023.45

It was you Patsu causing the lag,I am so very sorry.

USF

Wow, couldn't believe I got the last copy of the special edition in store. Gotta love Middle East game distributors for their early releases ;D

Slurmer

Banned
patsu said:
LOL. Yes !

The troops should keep coming, and they would bring out the big guns. Your feral widowmaker has escaped out of the Matrix

yeah i am playing it for the 6th time now and it happens every time. the recticle goes red but i don't get the "hit" recticle that shows any of the bullets are doing damage. they'll land for the first few moments of the fight, but then stop later on randomly. can't get past this part because of it...annoying

patsu

Slurmer said:
yeah i am playing it for the 6th time now and it happens every time. the recticle goes red but i don't get the "hit" recticle that shows any of the bullets are doing damage. they'll land for the first few moments of the fight, but then stop later on randomly. can't get past this part because of it...annoying

Uh oh, did you repeat the same pattern for all 6 times ? It takes a while to take it down. Damn thing is tough.

Duffyside

Banned
Slurmer, if I were you I'd go the main screen, go to load level, and then start up a level or two back. Something like this happened to me in Bulletstorm, and that's how I fixed it. Your game has checkpointed the bug, so make it checkpoint something fresher 5 minutes earlier.

Mrbob

The texture work in this game is crazy. I only had time to finish Chapter 4 before heading out, but all the areas I saw early on looked great. Sometimes I wish the games pace was slower so I could enjoy the environmental art some more. Early game atmosphere is great! Wasn't some reviewer complaining about the environments? That dude is smoking some serious weed unless the level of detail goes downhill for the rest of the game.

Controls are smooth. I don't play a lot of FPS on the dual shock because I really don't enjoy this controller with the genre, but I had no problems jumping into Resistance 3. In fact, I wish Insomniac would share this information with all other PS3 FPS developers on how to make a FPS play extremely well with the dual shock.

Weapon wheel at my disposal makes me feel good too. Nice surprise at the ability for weapons to upgrade through use. I had no idea this was even part of the game. I always enjoyed the weapon upgrades in Ratchet so I don't mind seeing this idea taken. Hopefully I can use these upgraded weapons in a New Game Plus type situation.

Thankfully R3 not go strictly to regenerating health, because this takes away some of the tension from firefights. I like the mix of having health packs with some regenerating health as it adds tension to the firefights. I do have a question about the health system. I remember the 4 bars from the first Resistance, but in R3 it is a circular bar structure. How does the regenerating health work? I'm guessing you only regenerate health outside of battle, and then it is a finite amount?

Man

The multiplayer beta left a bad impression but the singleplayer is blowing my mind.

I've played for five hours or so and it's the best continuous fps stretch I've played this generation. It's absolutely amazing. I'm almost surprised it's Insomniac as they haven't really provided the edge that titles like Gears and Killzone have. R3 is running past these now, they're absolutely on top of it.

Loudninja

Mrbob said:
The texture work in this game is crazy. I only had time to finish Chapter 4 before heading out, but all the areas I saw early on looked great. Sometimes I wish the games pace was slower so I could enjoy the environmental art some more. Early game atmosphere is great! Wasn't some reviewer complaining about the environments? That dude is smoking some serious weed unless the level of detail goes downhill for the rest of the game.

Controls are smooth. I don't play a lot of FPS on the dual shock because I really don't enjoy this controller with the genre, but I had no problems jumping into Resistance 3. In fact, I wish Insomniac would share this information with all other PS3 FPS developers on how to make a FPS play extremely well with the dual shock.

Weapon wheel at my disposal makes me feel good too. Nice surprise at the ability for weapons to upgrade through use. I had no idea this was even part of the game. I always enjoyed the weapon upgrades in Ratchet so I don't mind seeing this idea taken. Hopefully I can use these upgraded weapons in a New Game Plus type situation.

I do have a question about the health system. I remember the 4 bars from the first Resistance, but in R3 it is a circular bar structure. How does the regenerating health work? I'm guessing you only regenerate health outside of battle, and then it is a finite amount? I noticed health packs across the battle zones you can pick up during fights. Not positive how the whole system works! I'm glad to see R3 not go strictly to regenerating health, because this takes away some of the tension from firefights.
No regenerating health, you have to use the health packs :)

Mrbob

Really? I swear I received some health back after battles. Not a full amount but like 1/4 or 1/3 of the circular health bar. Maybe I'm going crazy imagining things!

Slurmer said:

This exact problem was happening to me last night, and I think I know what the problem is.
Once you get the Widowmaker to the third stage of the fight, DO NOT kill all the ground troop Chimera. For some reason, when I did that the first time the game bugged and I couldn't kill the Widowmaker. The second time I tried the fight I left all the Chimeran troops alone in the third stage, and then I was able to kill the thing.

I hope this helps.

Never thought I would actually spend time grinding weapons in an FPS but, well, ah, there it is.

Amazing what effect a trophy can have.

Loudninja

Mrbob said:
Really? I swear I received some health back after battles. Not a full amount but like 1/4 or 1/3 of the circular health bar. Maybe I'm going crazy imagining things!
Haha, yeah regenerating health is only in multiplayer.

Ashes

Banned
Played for hours yesterday, and I realised at the end of it that I hadn't thought about saving the game once. Not once.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mrbob said:
You must have picked up a health pack. Those restore exactly a third of the bar each time no regen outside of multiplayer.

Ashes1396 said:
Played for hours yesterday, and I realised at the end of it that I hadn't thought about saving the game once. Not once.
I'm pretty sure it just autosaves for you. No manual save.

Ashes

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I'm pretty sure it just autosaves for you. No manual save.

Yeah, I know. I was suggesting that it was good game design that led to me not even having to think about save points. Just another thing I'll mention that hasn't been in a review I've glanced over this last week.

Dave1988

287kwlu.jpg

1zvxvf7.jpg

Great matchmaking or GREATEST matchmaking?

Started playing this evening and I am nearing the end of Chapter 11. I am not exactly blown away by the game yet to be honest, in fact I am finding it a little disappointing and frustrating to play. The weapon leveling is a nice addition to an FPS which is cool, but what the fuckery fuck is the deal with health pickups? SIGH. I thought we were done with shit like that years ago, it's such an old and out of date way of doing health in a FPS. Not different, just fucking OLD. Also, the ladders, what happened there guys? :D

Also technically I am surprised how... ordinary it looks. There is nothing in this game to stop it from being 60fps (which would be a lovely addition to making it feel snappy and less sleepy), it's not technically stunning like Vanquish or Kill Zone, it doesn't even look like its running at a particularly high res. Compare it to the studios other title and I can't help but feel a little let down by R3's visuals.

It's like other FPSs of the last few years didn't happen.

leng jai

KennyLinder said:
Started playing this evening and I am nearing the end of Chapter 11. I am not exactly blown away by the game yet to be honest, in fact I am finding it a little disappointing and frustrating to play. The weapon leveling is a nice addition to an FPS which is cool, but what the fuckery fuck is the deal with health pickups? SIGH. I thought we were done with shit like that years ago, it's such an old and out of date way of doing health in a FPS. Not different, just fucking OLD. Also, the ladders, what happened there guys? :D

Also technically I am surprised how... ordinary it looks. There is nothing in this game to stop it from being 60fps (which would be a lovely addition to making it feel snappy and less sleepy), it's not technically stunning like Vanquish or Kill Zone, it doesn't even look like its running at a particularly high res. Compare it to the studios other title and I can't help but feel a little let down by R3's visuals.

It's like other FPSs of the last few years didn't happen.

Game is sub-HD and probably one of the blurriest games I've played. You're right, Insomniac should have done better on a technical level. I actually think the game looks quite nice despite the resolution, thanks to the art, lighting and weather effects.

Top Bottom