• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

CozMick

Banned
Great! I feel like I've wasted £44.99 on this game :\

The multiplayer is completely unplayable for anyone that ain't an American.

Micro stutter, lag, it's horrid. I'm level 14 and not a single lag free game so far.

Why is the matchmaking not working? it should have regional searches.

And it wasn't like this in the beta, I feel like I've been screwed over and lied to :(

Grisby

Resistance 3: Quick Review Best read after game completion, boss and level spoilers

Gameplay:
The shooty parts of Resistance are solid and fun. This is partly due to the weapons finally felling like they have some weight behind them. For most of the series I have felt like the guns looked like toys and acted like them (gun models still suck in R3). Don't get me wrong I enjoy Insomniacs take on providing different weapons then your normal FPS but it never jived well enough with me until now. Like, I always felt that there were a few guns that had interesting alternate fire mechanics but never enough to justify the spotlight.

Enemy encounters in the beginning of the game feel good. Then comes the
night stealth level
and everything starts to stink. You can basically run through that whole section without a care in the world. Next the boss battle on
the bridge is a nice classic idea but my missiles kept hitting the bridge parts making the battle seem longer then it should have.
Minor complaint but the last half of that level is basically an annoying shotgun run followed by a one hit kill boss. Then come a change in enemy type that is both boring and repetitive to what you've been fighting. Finally, the last couple of levels are a war of attrition where your better off just running. I should note that in this latter half of the game there is a shining stage, the
train level
which feels fast and fun.

However, there really is some nice arena areas and encounters in the game. The beginning set of levels feel good and the early
Widowmaker
boss battle had me smiling. R3 is a short game but there is some great pacing here and when the game is on a roll, man, it go's. The weapon upgrade mechanic is a great idea and I really do want to go back and level them up. The campaign is definitely replayable although I ran into 2 scripting bugs after long firefights that killed any pleasure I might have had from those two stages.

Oh, and I haven't played a ton of MP. There's been 2 massive patches yet lag still remains. One thing I did enjoy about the other Resistances were the large combat levels and player cap. Here it has been brought down to 16 and just feels like any other shooter out there. Disappointing.

Presentation:
The game is blurry. More blurry then I would have liked and usually I don't care about a lower resolution (Alan Wake, etc). However, Resistance's world finally feel alive, with some nice lighting and gorgeous (can not be said enough) weather effects. The framerate holds up nice even with a lot of enemies and there are some great set pieces. The motion blur coupled with the pulled in camera during sprinting is a nice touch and adds to the immersion.

Resistance 3 also has a solid soundtrack. I never cared for the series's previous music because it seemed to never exist. Yet, here it seems to hit all of the right notes (ha). Best FPS music this year because it has a consistent sound throughout the whole game.

Story:
Capelli wins the award for most improved character and leaves regular series protagonist Nathan Hale in the dust. Shit, why couldn't they have started the series with this guy? I open with him because that small motivation about him and his family got me through the story. That cutscene at the opening of
New York
was great and nicely acted. I just wish he would have talked during in-game stuff, could have added a lot to it. Most of Resistance's story is told through the world, while the characters either are too paper thin or non existent to care about. It's the graphics that tell you the world is desperate.

It's decent but takes some turns that I didn't like. Namely the
prisoner
arc which was not executed well or interesting. Also, the
church going level
screamed of a certain famous level in Half-Life 2, complete with the character and everything and it definitely wasn't as fun. Overall, it was more interesting then any of the other Resistance's and decent for a FPS campaign.

Final Verdict:
The first half of Resistance 3 is great but is sorely brought down by its latter stages because of uninteresting combat, bland levels, and mediocre storytelling. I was never a big Resistance fan but always felt the series had potential. It's a shame I feel that the potential finally seems earned here, in the third installment. A feel good rental that will be purchased upon a price drop of some sorts. Congrats go to Insomniac though for finally giving me a reason to care about the series.

darkwing

CozMick said:

Micro stutter, lag, it's horrid. I'm level 14 and not a single lag free game so far.

And it wasn't like this in the beta, I feel like I've been screwed over and lied to :(

hmm I'm from SE Asia and it seems ok to me aside from a few matches, but yup those lags exist but i've been able to hold my own , topping a few matches too, its better than Beta actually, at least for me

madmackem

darkwing said:
hmm I'm from SE Asia and it seems ok to me aside from a few matches, but yup those lags exist but i've been able to hold my own , topping a few matches too, its better than Beta actually, at least for me

Not for me, laggy as hell. Stutters frame drops, i had none of this in the beta. Im hopeing its just server load as its making the game near unplayble at the current state.

Loudninja

madmackem said:
Not for me, laggy as hell. Stutters frame drops, i had none of this in the beta. Im hopeing its just server load as its making the game near unplayble at the current state.
I think thats part of it, today the game launch everywhere else right?Thats most like not the the huge cause of it though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm not finding the 'difficult' difficulty challenging at all. But maybe, it's because I played the beta a lot. On Chapter 4 right now. Hope it gets a bit challenging later and I know there is a Superhuman mode lol.

patsu

Meisadragon said:
I'm not finding the 'difficult' difficulty challenging at all. But maybe, it's because I played the beta a lot. On Chapter 4 right now. Hope it gets a bit challenging later and I know there is a Superhuman mode lol.

Oh you'll find the difficulty you're looking for later. ;-)

Thinking about picking this up mostly for mutiplayer and split screen co-op for me and my son to play.

I didnt read through this massive thread but is it worth it for those reasons? Im not much of a single player FPS player.

Is the great online co-op mode still in? Loved that in R2!
Is the great party system still there too like in R2 where you stayed together as a group and could chat at all times?

Unlike R1 where I loved the mutiplayer I felt R2's mutiplayer was hampered with overpowered weapons, what I meant was every game was just people with rocket launchers so I quit playing it.

Anyone else having sound lag in the single player? Some of the explosions are off, and sometimes characters mouths start moving way before I hear the dialog. It doesn't happen all the time which is weird.

Pkm said:
Thinking about picking this up mostly for mutiplayer and split screen co-op for me and my son to play.

I didnt read through this massive thread but is it worth it for those reasons? Im not much of a single player FPS player.

Is the great online co-op mode still in? Loved that in R2!
Is the great party system still there too like in R2 where you stayed together as a group and could chat at all times?

Unlike R1 where I loved the mutiplayer I felt R2's mutiplayer was hampered with overpowered weapons, what I meant was every game was just people with rocket launchers so I quit playing it.
At it's core R3 is the best multiplayer game in the series (in my opinion) thanks to a lower player count, better map design, and more variety. The thing is there are still some technical issues that need to be ironed out such as stuttering and occasional lag. I've played the game for roughly 5-10 hours online and while it's certainly playable there is a distinct lack of smoothness that pops up from time to time and it can be quite frustrating.

R3 doesn't include a co-op mode similar to the one in R2 but it does have campaign co-op.

If you are interested in the game only for MP and co-op my advice would be to wait and see if these issues get ironed out unless you think they are minor enough that they won't bother you.

ShogunX

So we have a master alien race invading earth with crazy technology yet every Chimera I come across in multiplayer has a SHOTGUN :|

Seriously the shotguns borderline ruin the game.

darkwing

Shogun PaiN said:
So we have a master alien race invading earth with crazy technology yet every Chimera I come across in multiplayer has a SHOTGUN :|

nah, any long range gun can pwn shotgun users, just don't get near them

ShogunX

darkwing said:
nah, any long range gun can pwn shotgun users, just don't get near them

Hard to do when every single map has a lot of close quarter combat sections. That and the shotguns seem to have quite a good range on them as well as the whole setting you on fire thing.

It's not like I'm doing bad in multiplayer or anything (over 2.0 kd) but the shotguns seem a little unbalanced at the moment. Pretty telling when every high level player I come across is using it.

Shogun PaiN said:

After seeing what dual-wielded shotguns as a secondary weapon can do to a game I don't think anything shotgun related can phase me anymore.

Anyway, I don't disagree that the shotguns in R3 are really powerful but I'll have to play the game for a good while longer before I can form a valid enough opinion as to whether or not they're unbalanced.

Grisby

TSAGoodness said:
Anyone else having sound lag in the single player? Some of the explosions are off, and sometimes characters mouths start moving way before I hear the dialog. It doesn't happen all the time which is weird.

I noticed it at the gun range early in the game. Not so much after that though.

Grisby

One thing I want to add to is that the cutscenes in this game are fantastic in quality. Kudos to Insomniac. They are so crisp and well detailed that I was looking forward to every one of them. They also appear to have that slight photo-grain filter that I loved from the early sceenies.

gibration

Shogun PaiN said:
Hard to do when every single map has a lot of close quarter combat sections. That and the shotguns seem to have quite a good range on them as well as the whole setting you on fire thing.

It's not like I'm doing bad in multiplayer or anything (over 2.0 kd) but the shotguns seem a little unbalanced at the moment. Pretty telling when every high level player I come across is using it.
But there are also a lot of open areas in every single map. The shotgun is fine.

Apoc87

Banned
Slightly off topic, but I just recieved a coupon through GameStops PowerUp Rewards (you guys might have one too), to get $5 off a pre owned copy of any resistance game (not including 3)

So, Resistance 1 = A whopping $5 total for me. Should I bite?

Edit: Never played a Resistance title before.

ShogunX

gibration said:
But there are also a lot of open areas in every single map. The shotgun is fine.

It would be fine if it also didn't set you on fire when upgraded. Staying in open areas of the map is not always viable seeing as a lot of the action takes place in CQC areas and the last thing I want to do in R3 is camp my sweet buns off. Plus some maps like the Prison for example is pretty much all CQC.

The way I see the gun at the moment is the same way I see the Sawn Off for Gears 3. It's a weapon for new people to the game so they can get easy kills without the aiming skills other guns require.

I guess you see it differently and that's fine /opinions. Then again I pretty much tag every kill I make lol.

KingK

The game just arrived in the mail today for me. I'm gonna start it as soon as I finish classes for the day.

I'm probably gonna start on Hard, but I would like to know if it's possible to change difficulties halfway through the game or not. I'll probably do Hard mode regardless, but it would be nice to know I have a way out if it gets too difficult.

patsu

Shogun PaiN said:
It would be fine if it also didn't set you on fire when upgraded. Staying in open areas of the map is not always viable seeing as a lot of the action takes place in CQC areas and the last thing I want to do in R3 is camp my sweet buns off. Plus some maps like the Prison for example is pretty much all CQC.

The way I see the gun at the moment is the same way I see the Sawn Off for Gears 3. It's a weapon for new people to the game so they can get easy kills without the aiming skills other guns require.

I guess you see it differently and that's fine /opinions.

You'll have ways to counter it as you level up.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
KingK said:
The game just arrived in the mail today for me. I'm gonna start it as soon as I finish classes for the day.

I'm probably gonna start on Hard, but I would like to know if it's possible to change difficulties halfway through the game or not. I'll probably do Hard mode regardless, but it would be nice to know I have a way out if it gets too difficult.

You can change difficulties from within the game menu, so yeah.

Duffyside

Banned
Finished. Will have to go back and look at the posts of people who said they liked the ending to hopefully find out why. Very bland and unearned, in my opinion.
The whole game didn't make much sense. There are billions of Chimera, and maybe tens of millions of humans. Outnumbered and WAY out-armed, humans are barely able to hide and survive. So... Joe Capelli heads to New York cuz his dumb wife doesn't want her son to wear a jacket all the time. Taking out this New York center will apparently raise the temperature in OK a bit... and other than that, what's the motivation? Your son is going to still be underground, afraid, hunted, living in dirt. You want your husband to die so your son doesn't have to wear a jacket as much?

So, Joe somehow does it, which is also sort of lame. I mean, in Halo it's explained that Master Chief is THE super-soldier. He is called the demon by the Covenant. It's still a stretch, but at least it's given SOME context. Hale, same kinda thing; has an immunity, so ok, there's something there. Joe Capelli just has a really good rabbit's foot. But anyway, he does it, somehow, and I guess this is going to turn the tide of the entire resistance? I mean, that was never explained. Turns out it prevents billions of more reinforcements of coming in... through New York... who knows if there are more portals on this huge globe of ours. But how does that make it so Joe and his family can suddenly live in a house and play on the carpet? How does this help Ireland and Brazil turn their own tide?

I would love it if a MP shooter came along and gave you the option to pick whatever perks, upgrades, and weapons you wanted straight out of the gate. The catch would be that you could only pick one for each category, and all the rest of them would have to be unlocked via the skill point system. That seems like a good way to combat the issue of low level players being completely outmatched until they reach a decently high level.

On top of this they could even throw in a purely cosmetic set of unlockables (kind of like Halo: Reach) that is entirely based on your level. That way higher level players would still stand out from the beginners, beginners would still stand a fair chance, and there would still be plenty of meaningful unlocks to experience along the way.

Tambini

Just beat the game on hard mode.

Total time:
5 hours 9 minutes. So much for 9 hour campaign lol.

I didn't rush either, I wanted to take my time from the start so I stopped in each area to search around and collected all but 1 intel. Meh, it was a fun game, the story was flawed but all in all it was great fun. I just wish there were more answers at the end of the game.

I enjoyed the Ravenholm type area and chapter 13 and onwards were great. It was a suprise seeing humans as enemies but it made for a cool battle when the chimera showed up at the end of the prison level.

I'm gunna sell it though, the multiplayer beta didn't do it for me.
Sum it up, short but sweet.

I played half hour of single player, 1 hour of multi(played alot of the beta though) and 1.5 hours of co op. This is leaps and bounds above resistance 2. I put in a good 30 hours into resistance 2 also. The tone and graphics are so much better. The texture work is very impressive. My only gripe is I can defintely notice the subHD resolution at times but it usually fades after playing for a bit.
I hope insomniac gets the sales it wanted!

Duffyside

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I would love it if a MP shooter came along and gave you the option to pick whatever perks, upgrades, and weapons you wanted straight out of the gate. The catch would be that you could only pick one for each category, and all the rest of them would have to be unlocked via the skill point system. That seems like a good way to combat the issue of low level players being completely outmatched until they reach a decently high level.

On top of this they could even throw in a purely cosmetic set of unlockables (kind of like Halo: Reach) that is entirely based on your level. That way higher level players would still stand out from the beginners, beginners would still stand a fair chance, and there would still be plenty of meaningful unlocks to experience along the way.
Shit, where did you see your total time play and all those stats? Did it pop up after the credits or something? Did I miss it?

Himself

I am shocked and awed by some of these playtimes. It took me almost 9 hours on difficult and I missed a ton of the intel/audio documents. No idea how you guys are storming through the game so damn fast. But I guess I just generally take longer to beat games than most folks.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Chapter 6

The lighting effects were so freaking amazing here :D And it's a joy to kill the Grim with a shotgun. So much fun. Those leapers pissed me off in the end though, so annoying smh.

The game looks gorgeous, btw.

CoilShot said:
does this have online 8 player coop like from resistance 2?

No. :( But the 2 player campaign co-op is extremely fun. Try it out.

Himself

Tambini said:
Just beat the game on hard mode.

I just wish there were more answers at the end of the game.

My biggest beef.
Insomniac did a great job of telling the human perspective of the invasion, but they didn't offer much new info. about the Chimera whose whole existence, history, and nature is one of the more fascinating things about the Resistance games. Maybe we'll learn more next time...

I'll say it again, damn fine game.

Oh, and to whomever was asking if Fall of Man is worth $5-: I just replayed it over the summer and it's still just as fun and immersive as it was in 5 years ago.

dalin80

Banned
CozMick said:

1- iam sure the game comes with some sort of non-mp mode, perhaps some sort of story or campaign to try while the servers are being sorted out.

2- how on earth did you find it for £45, its sub £40 everywhere, pre-order from amazon was £37.

duffyside said:
Can anyone direct me to the way to see my completion time, kills, etc?
I think you have to go to multiplayer from the main menu and then profile. On that screen you can use L1 to tab over to your campaign stats.

Pranay

Resistance 3 has one of the Best FPS Single Player Campaign on any platform.

This will be the first game ill recommend to anyone who wants to play a great FPS game on the PS3.

Imsomniac ! You guys are Great !

Cudder

TSAGoodness said:
YES man, all the fucking time. It's funny, I didn't notice it at all in my first playthrough, but now even shit like reloading my gun has like a 2-3 second delay sometimes. Audio is fucked in this game.

I'm not even sure if I'm gonna keep the game. I'll try and mop up the trophies and get the platinum, but money was tight and I went and bought it anyway. Now I'm thinking I'll just sell it back and put the cash towards BF3 or something that I was going to get anyways.

Just reached chapter 19. I'm up to 7 hours playtime.

Insomniac has thought of a lot of details. The whole time I've been playing I've thought,
shouldn't we see remnants of the military? We see destroyed chimera tech everywhere like the awesome crashed capital ship during the train level. Then when finally reaching New York they address that. They slowly start to build up the bodies and tanks until you reach what must have been an epic battle for central park. Makes me excited to play that part of the story in Burning Skies.

Goldrusher

Melchiah said:
Wohoo! The steelbook special edition just came in the mail.

2hggR.jpg
Pff, that's nothing but a lame human skull.

I'll raise you...

Resistance-pakket_klein.jpg

Not mine unfortunately, but Sony gave away a dozens of these in Ghent, Belgium the other day.

N3QrF.jpg

Desmond

Seeing as GameStop gave me a special edition, I probably won't need my preorder bonus. The code didn't work on Wednesday, it may work now. I assume it works for all EU copies though I'm not sure.

On chapter 17 now.

I won't spoil, but WTF Insomniac, where did these giant story telling ballc comr from. I nevr expected the story to take this path or have some of these things happens. After the opening of 17 I'm ready to yell and cry and I have no clue how this will end.

BTW Patrick Klepak, you are wrong there is tons of story stuff here we wanted to know. Just need to find it in the files.

Duffyside

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I think you have to go to multiplayer from the main menu and then profile. On that screen you can use L1 to tab over to your campaign stats.
Yup, that's where it was. Thanks!

I laughed when I saw the
feral kills
. Other than like two points during the game, I wouldn't have enve known there was a difference. And I doubt I could pick out the difference if you gave me a screenshot art of both.

Loudninja

Btw duffyside soon you want need a facebook account to play Global Resistance just you PSN.
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/112257463985778688

Top Bottom