• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Thrakier

KennyLinder said:
Started playing this evening and I am nearing the end of Chapter 11. I am not exactly blown away by the game yet to be honest, in fact I am finding it a little disappointing and frustrating to play. The weapon leveling is a nice addition to an FPS which is cool, but what the fuckery fuck is the deal with health pickups? SIGH. I thought we were done with shit like that years ago, it's such an old and out of date way of doing health in a FPS. Not different, just fucking OLD. Also, the ladders, what happened there guys? :D

Also technically I am surprised how... ordinary it looks. There is nothing in this game to stop it from being 60fps (which would be a lovely addition to making it feel snappy and less sleepy), it's not technically stunning like Vanquish or Kill Zone, it doesn't even look like its running at a particularly high res. Compare it to the studios other title and I can't help but feel a little let down by R3's visuals.

It's like other FPSs of the last few years didn't happen.

Getting rid of regenerating health is the best decision ever because actually that is one of those points which make many others shooter so boring and forgettable. It takes any tension out of it. What you call "out dated" is a classic game mechanic to me which should always be there.

I agree on the GFX though, SUB-HD is a huge, huge miss.

dralla

finished it again, now all weapons are level 3. been messing with the 'cheats' and going through
the prison with all your weapons
is pretty awesome. i wish that wasn't a cheat though, just how NG+ plus works normally

Pikma

Banned
Dave1988 said:
1zvxvf7.jpg

Great matchmaking or GREATEST matchmaking?
Hahahaha so much fun.
So that's how I look in person, huh? o: I look a little bit.. manly lol

Finished it. No doubt about it it's an awesome game. Though I'm still not sure if I like this or the second one better.

I do agree with others that the ending is a little lackluster. It certainly didn't have the closure I wanted it to.
The credits make it seem like the war is over and that humanity is finally starting to rebuild, but I don't see how destroying the tower would end that. The tower was just another step like destroying the fleet over mexico and creating the Hale vaccine. If anything the real final uprising is at hand.

Then there's all the big mysteries that remain. What were those planets in the sky? Who is controlling the hive mind? What really is the chimera's purpose and motive? I guess Resistance 4 is inevitable. But I'd really like some answers this time.

highrider

Banned
eh, i'll take sub hd if i'm getting the kind of effects this game has. just the way the bullets tear up your enemies and environments is a cut above the other stuff on consoles imo.

Owzers

is there some type of online pass two day free trial on psn for people who rent the game? Tried to play multi with my gamefly rental today and it told me to take a hike.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I finally got into multiplayer some tonight since I didn't have much lag. I'm really sucking without Gunslinger but I've been using the Marksman and am warming up to it a lot more than in the beta. If anyone wants to add me my PSN name is in my profile. Just click on my avatar. I need some more gaffers since no one on my friend's list is playing. This is a game I plan on sticking with a bit more than most MP games.

pickle said:
eh, i'll take sub hd if i'm getting the kind of effects this game has. just the way the bullets tear up your enemies and environments is a cut above the other stuff on consoles imo.

Seriously. There's a lot of small details that really add up, just the attention to everything is pretty great. It's a very "alive" game. I remember some people, for instance, talking about how bad the humans look in the game. But I guess I was too busy being impressed by the fact that they were actually acting like humans instead of robotic morons who just stand around looking at you waiting for you to talk to them or something.

Sure, maybe not in every case, but especially at the beginning I was impressed by how natural the NPC's acted.

zedge

Picked this up yesterday. Only played first few single player missions so far but I am really enjoying it. Much better than R2 was. Looks incredible too.

If anyone wants to play some co-op add me. :)

xZeDgEx

Shearie

Well this is great! I just got R3 today and the game keeps hanging up in an early part of the game. It's obvious that there is something wrong with the data it installed on the hard drive since the hard drive light just stays on constantly so I decided to delete the R3 hard drive data; problem is, when I try to delete the data, it's hanging up there too. Can anyone please help me get this off my hard drive?

Himself

Cudder said:
Just got to
New York
on Superhuman. Things have been easy so far. Lets see how this gooooes!

Keep us updated. Just got to
St. Louis
and haven't had too much trouble yet...but I know it's coming.

The attention to detail that I'm noticing on my second playthrough is as good as it gets. So many little sounds, things left behind by people, drawings, radio broadcasts, animal activity, weather effects, Christmas decorations and little stuff I completely missed the first time around.

The boat section that so many people complained about being dull is bound to be one of the most memorable experiences for me this gen. From all the radio transmissions as you quietly coast along in the beginning to
getting crushed by the Goliath under the bridge
it's such an amazing level.

KingK

Just started playing tonight. Up to chapter 8. It's pretty awesome so far.

The very first location of the game, in those tunnels, looked pretty bad, but all of the outdoor environments look amazing so far, and the dust/rain/wind/other effects are awesome.

Cheech

Shearie said:
Well this is great! I just got R3 today and the game keeps hanging up in an early part of the game. It's obvious that there is something wrong with the data it installed on the hard drive since the hard drive light just stays on constantly so I decided to delete the R3 hard drive data; problem is, when I try to delete the data, it's hanging up there too. Can anyone please help me get this off my hard drive?

This does not sound good. Have you replaced the hard drive, or is it the factory one?

If you replaced it, I'd try reseating it. If it's factory, I would call Sony.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
OMG the outtake reel is fucking hilarious, oh and is there a chat set up for Resistance 3? I wouldn't mind getting in on some games with everyone :)

Slurmer

Banned
Just beat the game. Great despite a few flaws
+ looks fantastic
+ nice new weapons, esp. the mutator
+ most strategic entry of the series by far due to the health system
+ great level design and music
- there were a lot of times where i feel it didn't do a good job of pointing you in the right direction, making it difficult to figure out where i needed to be going.
- got a bad glitch in the widowmaker/new york fight in which it wouldn't take damage (the game finally let me kill it after about 8 tries)
- controls a lot differently (heavier) than R1/R2
- anticlimactic. really disappointed with the ending.

Shearie

Cheech said:
This does not sound good. Have you replaced the hard drive, or is it the factory one?

If you replaced it, I'd try reseating it. If it's factory, I would call Sony.

It's just that one R3 system file that's corrupted and I'm doing a system file restore right now that will hopefully fix the problem.

Edit: Damnit! The corrupted file is still there and still can't be deleted.

Edit 2: Since I can't get rid of the corrupted data I'm just going to download the patch and install the R3 data again and see if that does any good.

NBtoaster

leng jai said:
Game is sub-HD and probably one of the blurriest games I've played. You're right, Insomniac should have done better on a technical level. I actually think the game looks quite nice despite the resolution, thanks to the art, lighting and weather effects.

I'd say it's quite impressive technically.

Ashes

Banned
Shearie said:
It's just that one R3 system file that's corrupted and I'm doing a system file restore right now that will hopefully fix the problem.

Edit 2: Since I can't get rid of the corrupted data I'm just going to download the patch and install the R3 data again and see if that does any good.

I was going to suggest this.

Mush

Umm, did I just spoil something by going through the titles in the extras menu? I came across something called
Son of Hale
. Please don't tell me I ruined the ending, I'm in
New York
and I don't want this to end. :(

Grisby

Trying to play online and I'm getting PSN screen saying 'connecting to servers'. Been sitting here for a bit though, anyone else have this?

delta25

Banned
leng jai said:
Game is sub-HD and probably one of the blurriest games I've played. You're right, Insomniac should have done better on a technical level. I actually think the game looks quite nice despite the resolution, thanks to the art, lighting and weather effects.

sub HD or not this game is doing some pretty amazing stuff that have yet to see in other games.

Shearie

Shearie said:

Reinstalling everything seems to have done the trick so far as I can now play past the part I was stuck at but it seems like I'm going to have almost 2 gigs of everlasting corrupt data on my PS3 :( Oh well.

Grisby

Tried to back out of my previous problem and the game had a hard reset.

Oh, and apparently I beat the SP just shy of 6 hours.

Any of the GAF crowd who wants to add me on PSN. My name is RyoGCH. I don't have any friends who play games on PSN whatsoever and I'll definitely be playing R3 so feel free to send me an invite any time.

EagleEyes

Shearie said:
I'm having the exact same issue. It just goes to a black screen and locks my PS3 up.

Shearie

EagleEyes said:
I'm having the exact same issue. It just goes to a black screen and locks my PS3 up.

I have good news for you then because I figured out how to get rid of the corrupted data. Go into PS3 Safe Mode. If you don't know how, here's instructions:

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button.  If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

After that's done, choose the "Restore File System" setting. If that doesn't work for you(and it didn't for me), go into Safe Mode again and choose the "Rebuild Database" setting. This should fix the problem if the first option didn't. "Rebuild Database" only deletes non-essential stuff. Here's a list of what it deletes:

Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information.

Hope this helps.

Duffyside

Banned
Slurmer said:
Just beat the game. Great despite a few flaws
+ looks fantastic
+ nice new weapons, esp. the mutator
+ most strategic entry of the series by far due to the health system
+ great level design and music
- there were a lot of times where i feel it didn't do a good job of pointing you in the right direction, making it difficult to figure out where i needed to be going.
- got a bad glitch in the widowmaker/new york fight in which it wouldn't take damage (the game finally let me kill it after about 8 tries)
- controls a lot differently (heavier) than R1/R2
- anticlimactic. really disappointed with the ending.
How did you get past your bug?

Ashes

Banned
Grisby said:
Tried to back out of my previous problem and the game had a hard reset.

Oh, and apparently I beat the SP just shy of 6 hours.

I'm measuring my game time in real time to see what the difference is. Just out curiousity.

I think this game is weird about game completion times. Maybe they went for the 'speed run' crowd?

Who knows?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One glitch in MP is driving me nuts. Ever since I got the Blowing Bubbles medal I can't use the Bubble Shield anymore. It never shows that it's not ready to use, it just never works. Every other ability works. Logging out an switching it out doesn't seem to fix it either.

EDIT: Works now. That was weird. Lasted for quite a few games too.

patsu

Ashes1396 said:
I'm measuring my game time in real time to see what the difference is. Just out curiousity.

I think this game is weird about game completetion times. Maybe they went for the 'speed run' crowd?

Who knows?

I was told that game time does not include restart from last check point (after a death).

There's a glitch with the Spotter Support Ability in multiplayer. According to the description, the Spotter should only allow for one or two 'spots' before it enters cooldown. However, I can spot as many people as I see before cooldown engages rather than spotting one person and then it going into cooldown. It didn't happen like this in the beta, so I'm not sure what is up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mush said:
Umm, did I just spoil something by going through the titles in the extras menu? I came across something called
Son of Hale
. Please don't tell me I ruined the ending, I'm in
New York
and I don't want this to end. :(
Not a spoiler.

Slurmer

Banned
duffyside said:
How did you get past your bug?

After quitting out the first couple times, I just let myself die everytime the bug would occur. Finally, the last time, I hung back for the first part of the fight. When I noticed the hits were finally registering for the final part of the fight, I rushed in with the bullseye to finish it up before the bug got a chance to pop up again. Really weird...but thankfully I never had to go back a chapter or anything.

Top Bottom