• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Achtius

So how does one get into gaf games?

Also how does the bubble shield works? You can only shoot through your shield and not allies' shield? Or you can only shoot from the inside?

Kurod

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Does this game even have 4 player splitscreen?

I think he was just asking if the game has four player splitscreen. At least I don't imagine he was asking three other gaffers to drive to his house.

No four player split screen. Two is the limit, unfortunately.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Another thing I love about this game is that everyone within the story is amazed by what Capelli is doing and his fighting abilities and I can't help but think that Hale was bitch slapping so many more imposing chimera than Capelli and that Hale would eat Capelli for lunch. Wish I had the telekinetic powers from 2 though somehow, about the only thing I really liked from that.

patsu

Achtius said:
So how does one get into gaf games?

Also how does the bubble shield works? You can only shoot through your shield and not allies' shield? Or you can only shoot from the inside?

We gather in a chatroom and tango. ^_^

In a Bubble shield, you can't shoot out. No one can shoot in. The Leapers can't get in too.

Vol5

After having a shitty time installing the updates, the patches then having to exit to enable online pass, after about 1 hour I finally got to play the game.

+ Great graphics
+ Fitting soundtrack
+ Responsive controls
+ Good 3D implementation
+ Great mp maps

- Buggy. Had a section where I had to go into a back lane but the door in front wouldn't open
- Framerate (and I think resolution) takes a hit in 3D
- Laggy as fuck MP

I've got no doubt the laggy mp will sort itself.

Superb game overall.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
just finished, very good game overall but still seems to have the occasional dips in quality that plague the other titles in the series (though no where near as bad as in R2)
the train ride being a standout low point.

there were some points in the game that disappointed me
the section where you had to carry the power core seemed a bit cheap. There were also other places where they skimped on the action. The train ride looked pretty bad and didn't play as well as train sections in other games. It also lacks a bit of the polish of other Sony exclusive titles (even something like killzone 3, which to me seemed rushed, felt more polished that this)

But when it was good it was great, and far more consistent that Resistance 2. I hope insomniac get the chance to make another.

Hazelhurst

Can we customize the buttons on the Nav? The "Customize Controller" option appears to be grayed out when using the Move.

Also, has Insomniac patched the melee to a button yet? I refuse to jab with my Move.

patsu

Hazelhurst said:
Can we customize the buttons on the Nav? The "Customize Controller" option appears to be grayed out when using the Move.

Also, has Insomniac patched the melee to a button yet? I refuse to jab with my Move.

You can't customize Move buttons anymore.

patsu

James-Ape said:
just finished, very good game overall but still seems to have the occasional dips in quality that plague the other titles in the series (though no where near as bad as in R2)
the train ride being a standout low point.

there were some points in the game that disappointed me
the section where you had to carry the power core seemed a bit cheap. There were also other places where they skimped on the action. The train ride looked pretty bad and didn't play as well as train sections in other games. It also lacks a bit of the polish of other Sony exclusive titles (even something like killzone 3, which to me seemed rushed, felt more polished that this)

But when it was good it was great, and far more consistent that Resistance 2. I hope insomniac get the chance to make another.

I love the
power core
part.

NBtoaster

Finished it. Very good game
but not a fan of the last level. Too much like Resistance 2's last level and not a lot of interesting encounters.
. I reckon Resistance 1 still has the best enemy variety, and I would have liked to have seen some more feral chimera. But it terms of the base gameplay it is better than R1 and R2. Will try multiplayer tomorrow.

Now Insomniac, time to make your first foray into single player DLC. Please?

Darkatomz

Man FUCK this shit. Newegg should have had my package here by Thursday, and the UPS tracking now has an estimate of Monday??

Shouldn't have bothered saving the $12 just for this BS.

Pikma

Banned
patsu said:
We gather in a chatroom and tango. ^_^

In a Bubble shield, you can't shoot out. No one can shoot in. The Leapers can't get in too.

Actually... Leapers do get in, I've died many times because of this, at least in the beta. :(

Desmond

I played up to chapter 7 in one sitting. Difficult has been a breeze so far. Anyone want an EU preorder code? It didnt work on wednesday, hopefully does now

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I was on the fence

I read reviews, read GAF's pros and cons

Was going to RedBox it ($2 a night, then just play till w/e, then grab R3 down the line <$30, use PSN Pass and play the rest of it out)

Then I had to go to bestbuy.com look @ their deals, this one was to good to pass up

So I got Resistance 3, Socom 4, Real Triggers for $5...LOL (have $110 in bestbuy rewardzone funny money, so I used $80)

Resistance 3 $60 (hopefully get the air fuel grenade pre-order stuff)
Socom 4 $40 (if you buy Resistance 3, they have 5 games which you get 50% off, so 40 * 50% = $20)
KillZone 3, MLB The Show 11, Socom 4, inFamous 2 (will be the most @ around $27), Resistance 1&2 Dual Pack

Real Triggers $5 (you can't have funny money certificate be more than the total, if $80 certificate, you have to be $80.00 (on the dot) or $80.01+, can't be $79.99 like how I was, so spent $5 on it)

Somehow James got me....Damn you Mr. Stevenson!...Damn you to never having a goodnight sleep ever again, You Insomniac!

This better be good, KillZone 3 pissed me the fuck off...

iNvid02

question

do i need to update the game for campaign? do 1.01 or 1.02 have any improvements for singleplayer?
usually i would just get every patch but still haven't got my internet fixed, and 676mb is huge.

Number45

Played through to (I think) chapter eight last night. This game is incredibly pretty, and I love (again) the tension of playing a shooter where I might have to face off to an entire Chimeran death squad with only a sliver of health.

iNvidious01 said:
question

do i need to update the game for campaign? do 1.01 or 1.02 have any improvements for singleplayer?
usually i would just get every patch but still haven't got my internet fixed, and 676mb is huge.
There are some scripting changes for the SP, but you can apparently get by just fine without the patch. :)

http://www.myresistance.net/news/resistance-3-patch-1-02-notes

GraveRobberX said:
I was on the fence

I read reviews, read GAF's pros and cons

Was going to RedBox it ($2 a night, then just play till w/e, then grab R3 down the line <$30, use PSN Pass and play the rest of it out)

Then I had to go to bestbuy.com look @ their deals, this one was to good to pass up

So I got Resistance 3, Socom 4, Real Triggers for $5...LOL (have $110 in bestbuy rewardzone funny money, so I used $80)

Resistance 3 $60 (hopefully get the air fuel grenade pre-order stuff)
Socom 4 $40 (if you buy Resistance 3, they have 5 games which you get 50% off, so 40 * 50% = $20)
KillZone 3, MLB The Show 11, Socom 4, inFamous 2 (will be the most @ around $27), Resistance 1&2 Dual Pack

Real Triggers $5 (you can't have funny money certificate be more than the total, if $80 certificate, you have to be $80.00 (on the dot) or $80.01+, can't be $79.99 like how I was, so spent $5 on it)

Somehow James got me....Damn you Mr. Stevenson!...Damn you to never having a goodnight sleep ever again, You Insomniac!

This better be good, KillZone 3 pissed me the fuck off...
You'll like it dude, plus this game is an easy platinum, not that I'll ever know, foreveralone.jpg...

Pikma

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
question

The patch is supposed to fix some problems (bugs/glitches) from the campaign, but I'm not sure if they are game-breaking problems, I'm still at like Chapter 5 or something. :(

Here's another question for you guys, specially Jstevenson:

Has anyone of you experienced some kind of mysterious deaths? I've had them twice already, I die because of absolutely nothing, last time I was well-hidden, had full health and no grenades, I activated an Auger killstreak and after 3 seconds I just died, it didn't count as a suicide either, my name only appeared on the activity log as a death (no killer/suicide) and that's it. pwonager seems to have experienced it once already.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
ConradCervantes said:
You'll like it dude, plus this game is an easy platinum, not that I'll ever know, foreveralone.jpg...

I'll co-op with ya buddy, get your mic ready!

Redbox'd this game last night after playing about 20 minutes of Resistance 1 and deciding I was not interested and steering far clear of R2 after the overwhelmingly negative reaction.

This. Game. Is. GORGEOUS.

Some elements -- mostly character faces and some animations like climbing ladders -- don't stack up to the looming graphical juggernaut that is BF3, but the opening scenes in Haven are stunning and the escape sequence in St. Louis is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a videogame.

It doesn't hurt that the game is actually pretty fun as well, though at the point I'm at now (Chapter 10) it's been pretty standard fare. The design certainly doesn't leap out at you like the visuals do. But that's okay, I'm still having fun.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Chapter 17 is the best to level up ALL the weapons. Just keep dying before a checkpoint muahaha. Lame, I know but oh well.

CozMick

Banned
27-3 and 45-8! And my team still loses :\

Also, Park is the single greatest looking map I've ever played, it's up there with Beach from Killzone 2.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
finished the campaign. It was fantastic. I loved the little touches, especially in the survivor camps. really fleshes out the world. reminds me of the village in uncharted 2. I loved it then too.

also, the visuals are fantastic, resolution be damned. it is the attention to detail that counts.

KingDizzi

Banned
Got this on Lovefilm yesterday and was thinking about getting the online pass. Went onto the store and saw the fucking ridiculous online pass price of £7! Forget that, I very much assume then that the likes of UC3 and TM will also have this shit? Big shame as I wanted to try out the online, I mean at least give 3 days free trial or something to hook someone like me in but meh, so long as MW3 stays free I'm fine.

iNvid02

just started chapter 8 and its pretty good so far

cut scenes look fantastic, soundtrack is great, weapons are fun, atmosphere feels genuine, little touches to environment are nice, love the art style too.

but ai is stupid regularly, also had a few good guys just stand there doing jack, framerate suffers at points and, overall i feel the game looks average.

from what i've played its an 8.5, but like i said i've only just started chapter 8

JB1981 said:
What is up with the massive amount of input lag in chapter 18

Did you have the problem where the auger shot higher then where you were aiming? I had to aim at the body to hit the head. It happened in the final two chapters.

Played up to chapter 11 last night and then up to chapter 17 today. Hands down the best Resistance. So much variety, weapons actually feel satisfying now for the most part, and the return of the weapon wheel is appreciated. Very old school. The story has also been decent, well told and with several twists and turns. I really enjoyed R1 as a launch title, but the sequel left a very bad taste in my mouth and almost turned me off the series entirely. R3 is the best of the bunch and if this is the last game in the series from Insomniac then they went out on a high IMO.
The graphics have the same low res look that titles such as Black Ops and Alan Wake suffer from, but the weather effects, environmental detail and animations more than make up for it.
I'm not a massive fan of multiplayer outside of COD, so I won't bother discussing that, however judged purely on it's campaign I highly recommend this game to sci-fi / horror fans and obviously fans of the series who may have been turned away by R2.
Going to finish it up tonight.

JB1981

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did you have the problem where the auger shot higher then where you were aiming? I had to aim at the body to hit the head. It happened in the final two chapters.
I think it was my wireless headphones. The Lag in MP is atrocious

xBigDanx

I'm in Chapter 7...

I'm at the part where I just found the group around the downed helicopter under attack. I've killed all the guys around them. Now the game is just sitting there... I feel like there is an event that needs to be triggered or should have been triggered? There are 3 people around the helicopter just standing there and I wonder around and nothing is there for me to do... I feel stuck. Any ideas?

Number45

xBigDanx said:
I'm in Chapter 7...

I'm at the part where I just found the group around the downed helicopter under attack. I've killed all the guys around them. Now the game is just sitting there... I feel like there is an event that needs to be triggered or should have been triggered? There are 3 people around the helicopter just standing there and I wonder around and nothing is there for me to do... I feel stuck. Any ideas?
You need to go to the VTOL to kick in a cut scene, by the fountain.

I finished the game last night, and I must say I'm very impressed by what Insomniac has done, they've really outdone themselves this time, I knew I would love R3 since I loved the first two game, but the solo is on another league here I think it's one of my favorite campaign ever.

The game could have been better though, there was level with tons of grims that last forever in the middle of the game. There's also a problem with the story, I just did not care about Susan, you see her for a few minutes in the beggining of the game, and that's it, you're going on the road, shooting chimera, I didn't felt much connection with Capelli. The same could be said about most shooters, I think there should have been more play time in the Haven just to get used to Susan and the other people.

Also the endind sounds a little stupid to me, don't read the fallowing if you don't want the end to be spoiled for you :
if I understood correctly there are two breed of chimera now, some millitary ones and some wild ones, if you destroy the New York tower, you should just kill the millitary breed, so all those grims and should still be there, and given the zombie nature of the grims, humanity is still fucked. And what about those huge and numerous widowmakers? Speaking of which, while that boss fight in times square was very fun to play, I was kinda puzzled by that part, Joe was suposed to sneak into the tower, and instead of taking advantage of the fight between the widowmaker and the millitarian chimeras , you just have to kill that huge boss to create a bridge

Other than that, I had a blast with the game, I wish the AI was better, but maybe it will improve in superhuman. For example if you're shooting a chimera with the auger, instead of moving out to get to you, they just look arround and wait for you to kill them. Some human enemies AI seems a little broken too, in the prison level, I was playing a little game of hide and seek to take out everyone, and the AI always knew where I am, which is not the case with the chimeras from the last levels. I also wish there were more fights with hybrids and such, and less grims, grims are fun, but they're just stupid and it gets old pretty fast.

I'm pretty disappointed by the sub HD visuals, it's such a shame, this game would have looked so good at 720p :( But other than that, the tech seems a lot more robust that I first thought playing the beta and the demo. First of all, there are almost no loading time, there is a little bit of loading when you load a new level, but after that it's flawless. Some PS3 games makes you install and you have no idea why because you still have huge loading, and it's definitely not the case with R3. The framerate seems very solid to me, not as incredibly solid as RFoM and R3, but appart from that horrible boat level from the demo, I didn't see much framerate drops, which is awlays a great plus. Even when there are dozens and dozens of ennemies, the game runs fine. The lighting and particles effects are very nice too, and I guess there are the responsible of the sub HD resolutions, I guess if the game ran at 720, the game would have been closer to R2, with some nastly pixelated FX. And the thing is that they improved the gunplay a lot, you get a lot more feedback and the game is more lively as a result.

The only thing that really dispoints me with R3 is the poor PS Move support, I hope it will be fixed in the future because after Killzone 3, I expect my PS3 shooter to support Move! I hope they'll remove fixed the iron sight and tweak some of the control scheme (twist for reload, KZ3 style, and square to melee, for I hate making the the jab move), some dynamic bounding box KZ3 style would be ace too, but the overall pointer/turning behaviour is pretty nice anyway. And why is the gun so far from the screen? Anyway, the Move controls seems like they're halfway done to me. Fix this shit Guerilla!

Number45

xBigDanx said:
So any ideas what to do when I run all around the VTOL and nothing is triggered? :(
Are the others still there, or have they moved in to the nearby bar? If they haven't moved then I'm not sure, run around a bit and see if it triggers or restart the last checkpoint I guess. :(

Got this coming in the mail today. I finished Resistance 1 but didn't get very far in 2. Should I play 2 before playing 3 or should I just read a summary of the plot and be done with it?

Top Bottom