• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

FeD.nL

I'm loving the mp so much. It's just so much fun. Just need 3 more points to do final upgrade for the bullseye and then my preferred load-out is complete. Rank 2 gunslinger is godly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BigNastyCurve said:
Got this coming in the mail today. I finished Resistance 1 but didn't get very far in 2. Should I play 2 before playing 3 or should I just read a summary of the plot and be done with it?
Just play R3 now.

patsu

Pikma said:
Actually... Leapers do get in, I've died many times because of this, at least in the beta. :(

Yeah I noticed that the Leapers could get in during the beta, but in the final game, they seem to wander outside the shield and didn't attack me. ^_^

Not sure what is up yet, but I take it as a good news. They can't seem to break shields easily now.

Grisby

xBigDanx said:
So any ideas what to do when I run all around the VTOL and nothing is triggered? :(

If you can't find any enemies the scripting probably broke. I had that happen in two areas. Just quit the game and restart from the menu.

B33

Banned
Wrapped up the campaign mode of Resistance 3 last night.

Mind you, I've played Resistance: Fall of Man extensively since launch day and I view it as a flawed, but good game.

I played through all of Resistance 2's modes and gave it a fair chance. I could see its potential and did find some enjoyment out of it, despite being disappointed. The two-weapon felt cumbersome, the shift to a squad-based militaristic tone felt contrived, and "epic" encounters felt too scripted.

If you thought Fall of Man had potential, but was poorly paced, Resistance 3 is for you.

If you thought Resistance 2's "epic" sequences had some redeeming qualities, but lacked variety, Resistance 3 is for you.

If you felt Fall of Man's "horror" cues and atmosphere were commendable, but didn't quite reach its potential, Resistance 3 is for you.

If you thoroughly disliked the two-weapon system in Resistance 2, Resistance 3 is for you.

What I liked: Atmosphere, voice-acting, level of intricate detail and polish, weapon wheel, score, all of the weapons feel like they make an impact, boss encounters don't feel as scripted as Resistance 2, level design far exceeds past entries, the pacing is well done, Capelli is a compelling character with more motivation than Hale, removal of regenerative health is a much-welcomed addition, all of the weapons feel relatively useful for what the game throws at you, and overall, the game features some very impressive set-pieces.

What I didn't like: The ending leaves much to be desired, the variety in the enemy types is a bit lacking, occasionally the AI putters out (both NPC and enemy AI), PlayStation Pass (not Insomniac's doing, and I understand its purpose is to drive more revenue to the publisher, but it's still tripe), and motion blur is over-used and jarring (at times).

Resistance 3 is worth your time. It's certainly Insomniac's best title yet.

BigNastyCurve said:
Got this coming in the mail today. I finished Resistance 1 but didn't get very far in 2. Should I play 2 before playing 3 or should I just read a summary of the plot and be done with it?

I would finish 2.

Callibretto said:
finally beat the game, it's a great game, the campaign is really amazing, good variety, great pacing, nice boss battles that even though it's classic hit the weakspot kind of battles, it didn't feel braindead simple like R2 boss battles, weapon is also very fun to use. BUT...

goddammit Insomniac, once again you missed on explaining the chimera at all, bits of pieces of intel here and there is really not enough, there's still way to many mysteries surrounding chimera, pure chimera, gray tech, third alien race, wormhole, who's controlling current chimera etc. and now you've killed off Malikov, perhaps the closest man who can ever hope to uncover this stuff.

this is Killzone all over again, interesting backstory and lore with big potential for greatness, but the game choose to show off the boring simple mission like destroy tower. at least Killzone's backstory is clear and have no mystery that will never be revealed like Resistance.

I felt empty after beating the game. by this time, I wish Capelli just died when he fall that tower, to show his self sacrifice etc, let him hear his wife voice for the last time and died content that he's saving his family, that'd be a more powerful and satisfying ending.

I think I lost faith that Insomniac themselves know what's the answer for their subplots, I don't think it leads to anywhere, I got the feeling that Resistance franchise for Insomniac is merely a backdrop where few humans fighting against overwhelming aliens. if they make a new Resistance game, it'll just be another mission to destroy something and by the end of that game, the main character will achieve his victory, but only a small victory compared to big picture. and in the end, it didn't really matter

I feel as you do. There's just too much stuff left open. Come on Insom, give us some answers.

finally beat the game, it's a great game, the campaign is really amazing, good variety, great pacing, nice boss battles that even though it's classic hit the weakspot kind of battles, it didn't feel braindead simple like R2 boss battles, weapon is also very fun to use. BUT...

goddammit Insomniac, once again you missed on explaining the chimera at all, bits of pieces of intel here and there is really not enough, there's still way to many mysteries surrounding chimera, pure chimera, gray tech, third alien race, wormhole, who's controlling current chimera etc. and now you've killed off Malikov, perhaps the closest man who can ever hope to uncover this stuff.

this is Killzone all over again, interesting backstory and lore with big potential for greatness, but the game choose to show off the boring simple mission like destroy tower. at least Killzone's backstory is clear and have no mystery that will never be revealed like Resistance.

I felt empty after beating the game. by this time, I wish Capelli just died when he fall that tower, to show his self sacrifice etc, let him hear his wife voice for the last time and died content that he's saving his family, that'd be a more powerful and satisfying ending.

I think I lost faith that Insomniac themselves know what's the answer for their subplots, I don't think it leads to anywhere, I got the feeling that Resistance franchise for Insomniac is merely a backdrop where few humans fighting against overwhelming aliens. if they make a new Resistance game, it'll just be another mission to destroy something and by the end of that game, the main character will achieve his victory, but only a small victory compared to big picture. and in the end, it didn't really matter

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I loved chapter 10. There are so many ways to do it.

The dropships remind me of half life 2 with the gecko sound of mgs4. Insomniac really gave the chimera a ton of personality, which is great since you need it to inspire fear.

I love it.

JB1981

I can't stand chapter 18 right now. What is with these games and getting stuck on tiny pieced of geometry? Also is it me or do Chimera appear from nowhere. I will be shooting down my scope and suddenly a chimera will be standing right next to me and I'm like WTF !! Pew pew

Reckoner

Y2Kev said:
I loved chapter 10. There are so many ways to do it.

The dropships remind me of half life 2 with the gecko sound of mgs4. Insomniac really gave the chimera a ton of personality, which is great since you need it to inspire fear.

I love it.
thought of that too.
IIRC that is the chapter of those houses full of grims. reminded me a lot of gravenholm with a survival component made extremely well made.

JB1981 said:
I can't stand chapter 18 right now. What is with these games and getting stuck on tiny pieced of geometry? Also is it me or do Chimera appear from nowhere. I will be shooting down my scope and suddenly a chimera will be standing right next to me and I'm like WTF !! Pew pew

if they are grims, just run for your life

Reckoner

Meisadragon said:
I love Grims. It's so fun blasting them away with a shotgun or a Magnum.
I found some fun also running from them. there were two situations where I only thought of "run, bitch, run for you lifeeee".

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
duffyside said:
Anyone know if playtime includes the game being paused?
Obviously not.

On a side note, I maxed out all the weapons in my first playthrough by dying repeatedly before a check point. Took about an hour or so.

Duffyside

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Obviously not.

On a side note, I maxed out all the weapons in my first playthrough by dying repeatedly before a check point. Took about an hour or so.
Why is it obvious?

Which checkpoint did you use?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
duffyside said:
Why is it obvious?

Which checkpoint did you use?

How will it add to your playtime if you pause the game? :p

I maxed out my weapons in Chapter 17. Using the secondary fire really gets the weapon a lot of XP.
I think it's in that tunnel, where you encounter four giant Chimera with the Atomizer, along with Grims and leapers.

Hazelhurst

RockmanWhore said:
The only thing that really dispoints me with R3 is the poor PS Move support, I hope it will be fixed in the future because after Killzone 3, I expect my PS3 shooter to support Move! I hope they'll remove fixed the iron sight and tweak some of the control scheme (twist for reload, KZ3 style, and square to melee, for I hate making the the jab move), some dynamic bounding box KZ3 style would be ace too, but the overall pointer/turning behaviour is pretty nice anyway. And why is the gun so far from the screen? Anyway, the Move controls seems like they're halfway done to me. Fix this shit Guerilla!
The reload twist! I need this desperately. Please add this. Not having the reload twist has made me realize how truly amazing this feature is. I find myself doing it constantly in R3 since I'm used to the genius way Guerilla implemented reload twist into KZ3 with the Move. Also, please map melee to a button, rather than the jab waggle. Jab waggle is not fun.

Other than that, the Move controls are fine. Not quite as good as KZ3 but close. Actually, if there's one thing the R3 Move controls do better than KZ3 it's turning.

Number45

Loudninja said:
I am starting to get annoyed with these unmarked spoliers.
I hope that's not aimed at me, I took care to make sure I didn't mention anything specific.

BigNastyCurve said:
The quality of the second game is subjective, obviously, but as far as story goes I couldn't recommend going straight from the first to the third.

Y2Kev said:
Chapter 11 is soooo good. Surround sound in this chapter is incredible!
I'm starting to think there's an issue with my setup, I was pretty underwhelmed with the audio when playing this last night. :(

Number45 said:
I'm starting to think there's an issue with my setup, I was pretty underwhelmed with the audio when playing this last night. :(

Make sure you have the sound option on automatic. When I switched to Pro logic I lost all sound in my rear channels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
Chapter 11 is soooo good. Surround sound in this chapter is incredible!
That chapter made me decide to get a 5.1 system with my new TV. It's actually kind of hard to locate enemies there without it.

Number45

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Make sure you have the sound option on automatic. When I switched to Pro logic I lost all sound in my rear channels.
Yeah, that's what mine's set to at the moment. It's not just in this game, the levels seem too low in everything currently and it's driving me around the bend!

Proelite

I thought the ending for Resistance 3 was satisfactory.

The chimera being defeated on Earth is a much better outcome than I would have expected from the grim tone of the game. I had honestly thought that capelli being rescued in nyc was the end of the game. The chimera must have been pissed that their decades long gains was reversed by essentially several humans in an aircraft.

I guess the good news is that humans can return into being a organized fighting force with adaptive tech again.

Proelite said:
I thought the ending for Resistance 3 was satisfactory.

The chimera being defeated on Earth is a much better outcome than I would have expected from the grim tone of the game. I had honestly thought that capelli being rescued in nyc was the end of the game. The chimera must have been pissed that their decades long gains was reversed by essentially several humans in an aircraft.

I guess the good news is that humans can return into being a organized fighting force with adaptive tech again.

But how exactly have they been defeated? Destroying the tower only closes the wormhole and prevents the earth from cooling. The chimera to human ratio is still in their favor.

Loudninja

Number45 said:
I hope that's not aimed at me, I took care to make sure I didn't mention anything specific.

The quality of the second game is subjective, obviously, but as far as story goes I couldn't recommend going straight from the first to the third.

Nope not you.

Edit:I want to play so bad, my copy is sitting here mocking me. :(

B33

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
But how exactly have they been defeated? Destroying the tower only closes the wormhole and prevents the earth from cooling. The chimera to human ratio is still in their favor.
It saved what was left of the resistance and gave them the hope they needed to rebuild. Had they done nothing, they would have been wiped out from the freezing temperatures. Granted, there are still Chimera out there by the end of the game, but humanity now has a fighting chance. The rest is up to the player to decide.

Proelite

You see NYC and the statue of liberty being rebuilt in the end. I don't think that the Resistance would be doing that if the war isn't firmly in their favor.

I can't wait to see fusion huamn chimeran tech in the next games.

B33

Banned
Proelite said:
You see NYC and the statue of liberty being rebuilt in the end. I don't think that the Resistance would be doing that if the war isn't firmly in their favor.

I'd condiser those pictures as glimpses of hope and implications that the war sways in humanity's favor, but the finer details are ultimately up to the player to decide.

Proelite said:

do you think we'll be playing as Capelli again if there's a sequel? I think we should get a new character or play as Cartwright, I kinda miss him since R1

B33 said:
I'd condiser those pictures as glimpses of hope and implications that the war sways in humanity's favor, but the finer details are ultimately up to the player to decide.

What's frustrating is that there's another entire game in between the tower being destroyed and what's shown in the credits. I want to see it not imagine it. And on top of that nothing was answered from Resistance 2.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Callibretto said:
do you think we'll be playing as Capelli again if there's a sequel? I think we should get a new character or play as Cartwright, I kinda miss him since R1
Capelli is fine or maybe his son who grows up, etc. Cartwright was really cool in R1, but I don't think he will do justice to the main protagonist role.

Chiggs

Gold Member
JB1981 said:

I agree. It seems like I'm always being hit by something in Resistance.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What's frustrating is that there's another entire game in between the tower being destroyed and what's shown in the credits. I want to see it not imagine it. And on top of that nothing was answered from Resistance 2.

I bet in Resistance 4 we'll find a way to kill all chimera in 1 sweep, maybe some virus, or kill a hive queen or something, then after the end credits, you saw pure chimera coming from space immune to men's weapon and then to be continued...:(

Callibretto said:
I bet in Resistance 4 we'll find a way to kill all chimera in 1 sweep, maybe some virus, or kill a hive queen or something, then after the end credits, you saw pure chimera coming from space immune to men's weapon and then to be continued...:(

From the moment the invaders arrived, breathed our air, ate and drank, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of man's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that God in his wisdom put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion deaths, man had earned his immunity, his right to survive among this planet's infinite organisms. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do men live nor die in vain. [/morgan freeman]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
revolverjgw said:
From the moment the invaders arrived, breathed our air, ate and drank, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of man's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that God in his wisdom put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion deaths, man had earned his immunity, his right to survive among this planet's infinite organisms. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do men live nor die in vain. [/morgan freeman]
Hahaha. I had forgotten all about that. I need to get that movie on blu-ray. It's awesome aside from that ending.

Top Bottom