• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Man

Finished the game. Good job Insomniac! Excellent moment-to-moment singleplayer ride.

Surprised how contained the story was. Well presented for what it is.
And I'm in no real doubt that this is Insomniacs last Resistance game. They wrapped the events up without spending real effort in planting new seeds.

xBigDanx said:
So any ideas what to do when I run all around the VTOL and nothing is triggered? :(
Restart. My game got stuck on a progress-stopping bug early on when you're running back to tunnels with Tommy Dean. He refused to get out of cover even though the fight was over and, as a result, wouldn't open the door to the next area.

Just gotta quit and restart.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Achtius said:
Pretty sure this have been asked before, but how do I link the Global Resistance thing to my PSN account?
You can't yet. Sony is evidently being slow about it despite Insomniac's efforts to have it up and running.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished the campaign on difficult. Wasn't that tough at all lol. Played deathmatch now and its just like the beta; pretty smooth.

Achtius

RoboPlato said:
You can't yet. Sony is evidently being slow about it despite Insomniac's efforts to have it up and running.

Thanks. Also I don't know what I am doing on it!

I am on the human side tho.

Also any reason to upgrade barrack when building a new one is more cost effective? (other than running out of space)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Loudninja said:
Btw kev are you playing on normal?
Yeah, for now. I am finding it to be very enjoyable. Not too hard, not too easy. I am not posting about how easy the game is as I run past all the snipers on level 10. :)

Man

So for those who finished the game, best part?

Mine:
The whole spook story leading up to the encounter with Satan. It was full of mood and excellent fun in co-op. The grim birthing animations looks superb, similarly the lighting. The gore details when shooting them up and when blowing Satan up... glorious.

Holy shit you actually cannot find a text guide/walkthrough for Resistance 3 anywhere on the Internet. Everyone has completely moved to obnoxious and laborious video walkthroughs. Jesus guys I just want to Ctrl+F and skim some text. This is actually unbelievable. Not one single text guide.

Y2Kev

BrodiemanTTR said:
Holy shit you actually cannot find a text guide/walkthrough for Resistance 3 anywhere on the Internet. Everyone has completely moved to obnoxious and laborious video walkthroughs. Jesus guys I just want to Ctrl+F and skim some text. This is actually unbelievable. Not one single text guide.
I haven't done it for this game, but yeah. This is the new thing.

You get to load like flash laden disaster pages that would bring down a Cray so you can BEAT THE GAME THE WAY WE DID™

thanks mahalo

Proelite

Collective thoughts now that I have access to keyboard and mouse:

Positives:
+ Awesome scripted set pieces
+ Awesome weapons
+
First villain (mick) in a videogame that made me want to seek divine retribution on.
+ Great use of lighting
+ Great plot

Negatives:
- Lighting on gun model is still iffy. A major negative since I stare at it 99% of the time.
- The last level isn't as epic as R1's.
-
The ending is a deus ex machina.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Man said:

Mine:
The whole spook story leading up to the encounter with Satan. It was full of mood and excellent fun in co-op. The grim birthing animations looks superb, similarly the lighting. The gore details when shooting them up and when blowing Satan up... glorious.

It's actually when doing campaign co-op with a friend and a bunch of Grims charge at us. I think it was chapter 6. What an epic gameplay moment that was.

Story wise I liked the prison level, when you get the hammer. That was so cool.

Proelite

Meisadragon said:
It's actually when doing campaign co-op with a friend and a bunch of Grims charge at us. I think it was chapter 6. What an epic gameplay moment that was.

Story wise I liked the prison level, when you get the hammer. That was so cool.

I though fighting against the Wardens was the best part. First time in a videogame that I was eagerly anticipating kicking some human ass. I had more satisfaction killing Warden than Chimera, as the Wardens are far more hateful.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
I haven't done it for this game, but yeah. This is the new thing.

You get to load like flash laden disaster pages that would bring down a Cray so you can BEAT THE GAME THE WAY WE DID™

thanks mahalo
Thats why I went oldschool and got the guide ;P

Grisby

Man said:

Mine:

First half, Haven to the
Widowmaker
boss fight. Good stuff. Also, in the first level I loved the
dust cloud effects sweeping through the city.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Man said:

Mine:

St. Louis was the best level for me followed by New York and Haven. The Pennsylvanias' were also f'ing great. The campaign is just sick Im replaying it now and its just amazing. Love this damn game it has not flaws from a gameplay perspective except for maybe the enemy/ally a.i. at times

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Proelite said:
I though fighting against the Wardens was the best part. First time in a videogame that I was eagerly anticipating kicking some human ass. I had more satisfaction killing Warden than Chimera, as the Wardens are far more hateful.

Yeah, I wanted to kill 'em all after what they did to Malikov.

Loudninja

Allonym please spolier those locations, like I already said many times not every has been following he game. Also didn't know you visit one of those places so thanks!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Allonym please spolier those locations, like I already said many times not every has been following he game. Also didn't know you visit one of those places so thanks!
I feel really bad about the lack of spoiler tags on some posts in here. I've been trying as hard as I can to keep all of my posts properly tagged and fairly spoiler free. There are quite a few things in this campaign that are way more awesome if you don't know about them.

Finished it. Nice game. Overall solid story mode. I would have liked for it to have been just a bit longer, maybe another chapter or two, but I have a feeling that I'll be happy about the length when I'm going through Superhuman mode. There are parts of the game in my mind that I'm dreading already.

W1SSY

Picked this up the other day and played mp for a bit and then started co-op with my roommate. I have loved it so far but have a question. In mp are the skill points only used for unlocking weapons for the custom class?

Y2Kev

I like how I'm in
New York
and I'm in this great battle and I'm CONSTANTLY being
bombarded by rockets
and I was like jesus christ wtf is that. I spot
two stalkers
and take them down and I keep looking around and its a freaking
goliath

O_O

New York has had at least four great set piece battles. I'm really impressed with the level design.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
W1SSY said:
Picked this up the other day and played mp for a bit and then started co-op with my roommate. I have loved it so far but have a question. In mp are the skill points only used for unlocking weapons for the custom class?
Skill points are used for buying/upgrading weapons and abilities in multiplayer.

darkwing

W1SSY said:
as far as I can tell, yup, plus the abilities

BeeDog

Alright, my gaming skills have deteriorated as of late, but I'm finding the second-third or so major battle in (late game spoilers)
New York
to be a bit too unforgiving on Hard.
I'm getting blasted by this Stalker/spider robot up on a cliff while a gazillion chimeras are being dropped.

Argh, frustration ahoy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeeDog said:
Alright, my gaming skills have deteriorated as of late, but I'm finding the second-third or so major battle in (late game spoilers)
New York
I'm getting blasted by this Stalker/spider robot up on a cliff while a gazillion chimeras are being dropped.

Argh, frustration ahoy.
Is that the one with the two stalkers and the circular building in the middle of the area in chapter 18? If so, just move up toward the goliath by the base of the tower.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BeeDog said:
New York

Argh, frustration ahoy.
Toss a anti sheild grenade then spam rockets on that son of a bitch. That's what I did anyways, after that snipe everything and everyone, when packets of guys get close or start to clump up use the ravager or mutator

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BeeDog said:
New York

Argh, frustration ahoy.
The one with a shield? Just throw an emp grenade and fire two rockets at the Stalker as soon as you begin. Then use the Marksman to kill the rest. Once you go down, there will be another wave of Chimera; if you have the Atomizer, use the secondary fire and run away from there and pick them off using the Sniper or Marksman.

It's a tough section, though. So may take a few tries.

BeeDog

RoboPlato said:
Is that the one with the two stalkers and the circular building in the middle of the area in chapter 18? If so, just move up toward the goliath by the base of the tower.

Don't think so, it's the area where you
first traverse a structure similar to the R1 buildings, then drop outside and see destroyed tanks and VTOL's lying about, and the Stalker being up on a cliff a bit further down with its shield up.

Man said:

Mine:

There are many.
]The night scene in the woods was great. Especially one neat moment where I was hiding from snipers in a cabin, when suddenly the interior was flooded with bright light like I was about to be beamed up. It looked awesome and it spooked me. I hauled ass out of there

The scene where you're chased through a farm by a Goliath. I know it was just pure scripted pyrotechnics, but it was a particularly awesome example of that kind of thing. Although I thought it was kind of goofy that the farmhouse you end up hiding in was considered "safe", when that thing was just a few strides away and could have destroyed the whole house by sneezing on it

Actually the whole Haven part of the game. Although there was lots of good stuff afterwards, nothing was as detailed and atmospheric as the town. It's where I felt the Resistance series finally achieved the tone it always should have had

Urban warfare in the bombed out buildings in New York. Big difficulty spike here, plenty of intense battles in the final chapters.

Geoff9920

Didn't play in the beta so I know I'm behind the times on this, but I just played a couple hours of multiplayer the first time... Good god do I miss dedicated servers. :( Lag is hit and miss, but there's a definite difference in feel over the previous games.

I need to spend some more time with this as I don't know the maps very well. First game was an eye opening learning experience. I had no clue what was going on. :p *spawn* *Dude's standing right behind me* *Die* But I'm definitely glad to see the weapon wheel back in action and I can't wait to try out Single Player.

Y2Kev

Geoff9920 said:
Didn't play in the beta so I know I'm behind the times on this, but I just played a couple hours of multiplayer the first time... Good god do I miss dedicated servers. :( Lag is hit and miss, but there's a definite difference in feel.

I need to spend some more time with this as I don't know the maps very well. First game was an eye opening learning experience. I had no clue what was going on. :p *spawn* *Dude's standing right behind me* *Die* But I'm definitely glad to see the weapon wheel back in action and I can't wait to try out Single Player.
The game's not p2p apparently. there is just microstuttering going on.

Ashes

Banned
What is up the health packs in {post chapter 14 spoiler >):
graterfor PA, the jails part... Right, that they use bottles, but there is this one place it just don't work sometimes... bugs... grrr

edit: don't know what happened there... but I've passed it.

Top Bottom