• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

darkwing

CozMick said:
260,000+ deployed troops for a skin, I mean jesus it'll take fucking weeks!

Don't they want me to play the fps they just developed?
I know right? it's tough to be an ocd , but I want those skins

Y2Kev said:
Completely disagree.
New York
has the strongest encounter design.

See, I thought it was more "shooting gallery" and less "dynamic firefights" if you know what I mean. Less Halo, more Call of Duty to me.
The only combat situation I really enjoyed in New York was the fight in the Subway with the Ravagers and Grims. The dynamic between Feral and Military Chimera was really exemplified there, and I thought it was interesting. The initial bunker areas where you have to take the shield doors down was interesting as well; I thought that section played well too. I didn't care for the crashed SRPA plane and the Stalker shootout section as much though.

The A.I. at the first NY Stalker fight section felt a little cheap to me. Personally, it seemed as though before I'd really done damage to the Stalker, the on foot Chimera were a little too lax, but whenever the Stalker was close to death, the on-foot troops would really become aggressive. There was actually one time where I was shooting at the Stalker with the Wildfire and on the second shot, a Hybrid 'popped' into the "melee fight" and I blew myself up. Needless to say, it slightly pissed me off. haha

I think really what it is though, I just preferred the pace and tone of combat and the locations more in the first part of the game. The second half wasn't terrible by any means, but I just didn't enjoy it as much.
The whole ending sequence wasn't very good in my opinion, and was the weakpoint in an otherwise great game. My suspension of disbelief definitely faltered in the last 20 minutes or so.

Hixx

GrayFoxPL said:
So did the campaign feel too short for you guys? Is it shorter them R2?

Played on difficult, about 7 hours and I hunted around quite a bit for the intels. I honestly wish Superhuman was available from the off, might've added a few hours first time around.

theBishop

Banned
I was very surprised to see (middle-late spoiler)
a train section that doesn't repeat as in Uncharted 2.
Insomniac's tech doesn't seem as advanced as UC2 so I wondered if they were able to use the same code, or made something new. It was definitely cool to see in first person. I'd love to replay that with the 3D headset thing Sony's making.

wowzors

Does the online seem really choppy to anyone else? I played about 3 games last night and they all seemed a bit choppy, not sure if due to host or if due to fps drops.

gibration

Seventy5 said:
Any way I can get an invite to the gaf R3 chat? I just got home from vacation and I'm looking for some mp and co op bros.
I don't think anyone ever made one. There's a couple of us that just use some other gaf chat to talk and play with.

statham

just got my PS3 back, is this game worth full price or should I wait for a discount? I barely play online. so please don't count multiplayer. I want a great short 5-6 hours adventure.

theBishop

Banned
statham said:
just got my PS3 back, is this game worth full price or should I wait for a discount? I barely play online. so please don't count multiplayer. I want a great short 5-6 hours adventure.

It's got enough in the package to warrant a buy. If you're only going to play the single player, and not touch the competitive mp, or replay levels in coop, maybe wait. Although, the campaign is really good, and has some unexpected subject matter for Insomniac.

Y2Kev said:
The game's not p2p apparently. there is just microstuttering going on.

I hope jstevenson will come out of nowhere to confirm that for us. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a host deconnection message or something, and I've played the beta a lot.

Massa

RockmanWhore said:
I hope jstevenson will come out of nowhere to confirm that for us. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a host deconnection message or something, and I've played the beta a lot.

He already did.

What is going on? Now the game won't even load. It just stays on the Loading Screen and does nothing. I don't know if my PS3 is fucked or if it's the game itself.

Effect

LifEndz said:
I tried to do this earlier and it seems like you have to have a facebook account for that. Sux for those of us that refuse to sign up for FB. :(

That's annoying. Guess I won't be logging into it.

On another note I have to credit Resistance 3 with helping me get used to dual analog controls for an FPS. I've been sick the past few days and today I didn't feel with dealing with the Move controls. Especially since they still feel off compare to the Wii remote. Especially in multiplayer. This has been an annoyance for me in Killzone 3, MAG, and now Resistance 3. It's easier to keep the screen and the cursor steady with the Wii remote. I guess it's the difference in tech, putting Wii pointer controls first in FPS even though they support the classic controller, and it being the primary controller for the Wii compared to the PS3. Using the dual analog on the PS3 has turned out to be the more relaxing experience once I stopped fighting them. I think I was trying to hard to be accurate instead of just letting the aim assist do it's job. Strafing MP is just easier as well. I was having issue with it for some reason with Move compared to the Wii remote and I don't know exactly why as I was doing the same movements. I even booted up some Black Ops Wii for a match or two just to compare. To get used to it first though I did a few private matches and just ran around trying different things for at least a half hour or so.

If things continue to go well and I can finish the game this way I might just stop using Move for all future FPS on the PS3. This should also help me transfer some upcoming purchases from the PC to the PS3 as to not overwork my PC with to much gaming.

DigiMish

LifEndz said:
I tried to do this earlier and it seems like you have to have a facebook account for that. Sux for those of us that refuse to sign up for FB. :(

They're going to make it so that you can log in using your PSN soon.

patsu

gibration said:
I don't think anyone ever made one. There's a couple of us that just use some other gaf chat to talk and play with.

We use the XMB chatroom to hook up. Quite a few of us are in it already. Dave1988 took a photo of them a few pages back.

I'm replaying the last 2 chapters now. Will send out invites once I'm done !

Shearie

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
What is going on? Now the game won't even load. It just stays on the Loading Screen and does nothing. I don't know if my PS3 is fucked or if it's the game itself.

Same thing happened to me. Your R3 hard drive install data is most likely corrupted. Try deleting and reinstalling it. If it hangs up while trying to delete it (as it did for me), go into safe mode for the PS3 and pick the "Rebuild Database" option to get rid of the corrupted file and then reinstall the patch and data for R3.

Shearie said:
Same thing happened to me. Your R3 hard drive install data is most likely corrupted. Try deleting and reinstalling it. If it hangs up while trying to delete it (as it did for me), go into safe mode for the PS3 and pick the "Rebuild Database" option to get rid of the corrupted file and then reinstall the patch and data for R3.

Happened to me as well, but now within the first five minutes the game has frozen on me twice. Im seriously about to return this game even though I've played 1 and 2 and want to enjoy this one too.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
statham said:
Well according to your requirements this game is EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Grisby

Shearie said:

For future reference how to you get the PS3 into Safe Mode? Or is that an option under the XMB?

Shearie

Grisby said:
For future reference how to you get the PS3 into Safe Mode? Or is that an option under the XMB?

While the PS3 is off (well technically in standby mode with just the red light on), turn on the system by holding the power button and keep holding it until the PS3 turns off. And then, do the same thing again but this time wait until you hear it beep two times quickly and then let go of the power button.

Himself

I LOLed @
fighting the Widowmaker and realizing the dead fat woman from earlier is still face down in the now completely destroyed building.
I didn't laugh because of the subject matter, just the fact that I somehow missed it on my first play through.

Also, I gotta say Re: A MAJOR SPOILER SO DON'T READ UNLESS YOU BEAT THE GAME:
I'm going to miss Malikov! I was so bummed after getting over the initial horrified reaction of him getting killed. He was one of my favorite characters. We'll never hear him say, "Ahhhh this is fascinating! It requires more research!" again. :(

GrayFoxPL said:
So did the campaign feel too short for you guys? Is it shorter them R2?

7 hours playtime on normal, but with 35 death, and the game don't count death to your playtime, so my actual playtime is longer,

Grisby

Shearie said:
While the PS3 is off (well technically in standby mode with just the red light on), turn on the system by holding the power button and keep holding it until the PS3 turns off. And then, do the same thing again but this time wait until you hear it beep two times quickly and then let go of the power button.

Thanks bud.

I still can't get over by
how unsatisfying the ending is. I think I would have loved it more if Capelli actually died in the end. especially after re-watching that excellent radio cutscene when he first come to NY. knowing he ultimately lives cheapen that scene imo.

Himself

Many people seemed bummed by the ending and I initially was too. Since many people haven't finished yet, I'll spoiler tag what are mostly generalizations:
It was a bit abrupt and anticlimactic, and a little epilogue would have been more satisfying. Especially after the 15 min. credit roll. In keeping with the Resistance tradition, Insomniac essentially left us with a cliffhanger, but also managed to kind of wrap it up just enough in case they never come back to the series. So even though there's much more to learn about the Chimera, if there isn't a Resistance 4, the fans can kinda say, "OK, I guess we won."
Not sure why I'm trying to defend it, though.

Y2Kev said:
I don't think they will want to come back. At least until Overstrike tanks.

if they never come back, I hope Sony leave it to other developer.
I don't care if the gameplay is subpar, but I really need some closure and answer

Himself

Y2Kev said:
I don't think they will want to come back. At least until Overstrike tanks.

I really hope this sells well enough for Sony to push Insomniac to make a fourth for PS4. Is that too much to ask?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Callibretto said:
if they never come back, I hope Sony leave it to other developer.
I don't care if the gameplay is subpar, but I really need some closure and answer
Just read the novels. "Novels." I'm sure we will get another one...there's money to be made!

Burning Skies is not what I want. We need something right after R2.

I don't need a game set after R3; the ending does that for me. But there's a lot to be understood in the middle.

I mean, my understanding is that
the chimera were using the towers to open a wormhole to their original homeland...the homeland of the "pure chimera." Hale basically fucked that plan up when he destroyed the fleet at Chicxalub. Or at least stalled it significantly.

I guess...do we need anything else? Just kinda fill in the details for yourself maybe?

Himself said:
I really hope this sells well enough for Sony to push Insomniac to make a fourth for PS4. Is that too much to ask?

They will want to put their resources on IPs and properties they own. Unless Sony sells it to them or something. They just better hope they don't get EA partner'd :)

Ashes

Banned
I'm nearly at the end of the game I presume, and I think it's one of the best fps experiences I've had on the ps3. quote unquote experiences.

There would have to be a real turn for this to become disappointingly average for me.

Y2Kev said:
Just read the novels. "Novels." I'm sure we will get another one...there's money to be made!

Burning Skies is not what I want. We need something right after R2.

I don't need a game set after R3; the ending does that for me. But there's a lot to be understood in the middle.

I mean, my understanding is that
the chimera were using the towers to open a wormhole to their original homeland...the homeland of the "pure chimera." Hale basically fucked that plan up when he destroyed the fleet at Chicxalub. Or at least stalled it significantly.

I guess...do we need anything else? Just kinda fill in the details for yourself maybe?

well, I want humans to
eventually win...

Y2Kev

Callibretto said:
well, I want humans to
eventually win...
They do, though. We see they win in the credits of R3.

Do you just want a game to see how that happens?

Y2Kev said:
They do, though. We see they win in the credits of R3.

Do you just want a game to see how that happens?

they did? I just remember hearing lots of radio dialogue, although I guess it could mean they started fighting back or winning.

Y2Kev

Callibretto said:
they did? I just remember hearing lots of radio dialogue, although I guess it could mean they started fighting back or winning.
They show pictures
of them rebuilding NYC and such. And then Capelli and family visiting the grave of Malikov and walking out of the Nathan Hale cemetery. LOL. Let's be honest-- it's probably best Insomniac not actually write those pieces.

Well, it eventually loaded and I finished the game.

I really, really enjoyed it. I liked the ending, the final gameplay sequence was awesome.

Is there supposed to be music playing in the credits? It's completely silent right now. The audio glitches in the second half of this game are really bad, the music and enemy audio go in and out randomly and asides from the weapons, footsteps, and some environmental sounds, it's completely silent. No music, a lot of the mood just falls apart.

The only thing that nags is some of the unanswered questions.

Top Bottom