• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

darkwing

Ashes1396 said:
Never mind... I was gona disagree... but then I read the last part of your sentence... I will say that it was a little off in the latter stages of the beta in my experience, and they said that they had had patches for it day 1. Two 600mb patches later, they ought to have done better, no?
can't do much if they don't add enough servers

gibration

Mystery said:
I'm having a blast with MP. Even though the freezing and stuttering can get annoying, when the game works, it's really fun. I made a gameplay montage of some kills I got during the first week.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhdZtS__F0
I don't know how you snipe in the current state the mp is in. I main the Marksman and Deadeye with the perk Strapped but I gave up on using the Deadeye for now. Too much lag that throws my aim off.

Mystery

Sniping is actually less frustrating to me with the lag. If I'm in a close quarters firefight with the carbine or marksman, I will usually die if the lag occurs. However, with the sniper, I'll just end up missing a shot, and I'll still be alive. Nothing's more frustrating than flanking 2 or 3 guys, knowing the kills are yours, but then the game just decides that you've had enough kills for that life, and you're meant to die no matter what.

Multiplayer's still a blast when it works, though. Small Deathmatch is the way to go if you don't want any lag at all.

Cudder

JB1981 said:
The multi really is garbage. Death lag, stutter, killed out of nowhere, situational awareness is shIt. What a MESS. And how odd seeing that these guys made the extremely polished R1. What the hell happened ?
Yup, as soon as I get my platinum in 1-2 days I will be trading this back in lol.

I liked R1 and R2, didn't love em or think they were great but they were fun. I had heard that the sharpshooter with killzone 3 was fun, so I took a chance and got the doomsday edition....played for a couple hours and man, I do not like the sharpshooter with this game. Calibration is horrible, also when you zoom down your scope it moves extremely slow, just really bad first impression with move. After trying a couple hours I just switched back to controller and it works way better with this game. So basically game is good but again sharpshooter+move= meh I hope they patch it and fix it.. add better calibration and fixs...otherwise I just wasted 150 bucks :(

Matt2thefuture said:
I liked R1 and R2, didn't love em or think they were great but they were fun. I had heard that the sharpshooter with killzone 3 was fun, so I took a chance and got the doomsday edition....played for a couple hours and man, I do not like the sharpshooter with this game. Calibration is horrible, also when you zoom down your scope it moves extremely slow, just really bad first impression with move. After trying a couple hours I just switched back to controller and it works way better with this game. So basically game is good but again sharpshooter+move= meh I hope they patch it and fix it.. add better calibration and fixs...otherwise I just wasted 150 bucks :(

When I got it a few days before release I tried it with Move first and felt the same way, so I'm glad it's not just me. I'm pretty certain Killzone 3 was designed with Move implementation always in mind, while Resistance 3 added Move functionality while in development. Let this be a lesson to developers hopefully.

I finished today,
Great game, great ending.
I fear going through some of the late levels on superhuman.

The best SP campaign of the resistance series by a mile.
The game got WAY more brutal than I was expecting, and it was great.

the_id

I also just finished playing resistance 3. This is by far the best one of the 3. Loved the story, loved the guns and especially love the pacing of the game. Some of the set piece moments such as
the widowmaker stampede
and
after destroying the terraformer
were some of the best moments in gaming for me. The production value was similar to uncharted 2.

Now I'm going to get back to playing co-op now.

Hazelhurst

Matt2thefuture said:
KZ3 has a superior implementation of Move controls. R3 is ok, but KZ3 is the best with Move. So if you want that great Move experience, get KZ3. R3 still feels great with the Move, slow iron sights aside.

BeeDog

Just finished the game. Some thoughts:

Pros:

+ The presentation is pretty damn good this time around. Fantastic art direction, very cool cutscenes, good VA and good audio in general. The level design needs to be singled out, utterly amazing stuff. Every inch of the game world feels hand-crafted and the variation is damn nice.
+ The gunplay is the best in the series and overall very fun, at least in the singleplayer. The enemies' hit reactions are great, and the weapon sounds are pretty beefy.
+ Fun weapons. Every weapon in the arsenal has its use, and the upgrade system is a good incentive to make you switch them up constantly.
+ Graphically, despite the sub-HD resolution, I was impressed. The amount of effects thrown around is mindblowing, and the lighting on some stages was splendid.
+ Some of the set-pieces were truly excellent, such as (major late-game spoilers)
the end parts of the train ride and the destruction of the terraformer
+ The credit system for unlocking cheats and stuff needs to be in more games. Great incentive to replay a game.
+ The weapon wheel and non-regenerating health. *jamesfrancosogood.gif*
+ Generally a solid musical score, but it's still pretty anonymous just like in the previous games.

Cons:

- Absolutely god-awful ending. For being the last(?) game in the series, they should've wrapped it up much, much neater. I skipped the end credits though; is there something after the credits?
- The story of the chimeras doesn't really go anywhere, and the parts alluded to in R2 are brushed aside for this more "intimate" story. Can't say I liked the ambivalence toward the greater mythos, it's like they don't even want to acknowledge some of the stuff from the second game.
- The enemy variation was so-so; was a bit disappointed to see how often the Grimms were featured.
- The single-player campaign felt a bit too short, but I guess it would've overstayed its welcome if it was padded any more. Is there a way to see your total game time?
- The AI was disappointing; most enemies only seem to target you, and a bit too many enemies bullrush you and cause frustration. Your AI allies are non-existent.
- Generally poor image quality and too many framerate dips. I hoped for a more polished product from Insomniac, technically speaking.

Generally a great campaign with some dips to "merely good". Can't say I was as blown away as some people here, but it definitely wasn't a bad experience at all, but the fucking lame ending soured the experience a bit. As for PS3 exclusive shooters anno 2011, I honestly can't say if I prefer this over the KZ3 SP, but I assume I would be alone with that opinion.

LEGGZZZZ

just made it to New York. Wow, this game is incredible, even with it's issues. Finally something that matches Dead Space 2 as my GOTY contender, (I guess Dues Ex as well). Can't wait to finish.

Thrakier

Hazelhurst said:
KZ3 has a superior implementation of Move controls. R3 is ok, but KZ3 is the best with Move. So if you want that great Move experience, get KZ3. R3 still feels great with the Move, slow iron sights aside.

What did you think about the weapon perspective with move? Did it aid the gameplay or was it just weird/annoying?

dalin80

Banned
BeeDog said:
- Generally poor image quality and too many framerate dips. I hoped for a more polished product from Insomniac, technically speaking.

I felt that the IQ was pretty good and had excellent lighting making the world more vibrant then before and never experienced any noticeable frame rate drops.

Agree with the rest of your points though, iam pretty sick of grims.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
BeeDog said:
Agree. It seems they built the game with sub-HD res in mind, so it is less apparent, although, the game would have looked more amazing with a higher res. Frame rate drops usually occur in chapter 16-17, but mostly, it's fine.

I really hope they make Resistance 4 for the next Sony home console, it still has a lot of potential.

Xater

Meisadragon said:
Agree. It seems they built the game with sub-HD res in mind, so it is less apparent, although, the game would have looked more amazing with a higher res. Frame rate drops usually occur in chapter 16-17, but mostly, it's fine.

I really hope they make Resistance 4 for the next Sony home console, it still has a lot of potential.

I really really doubt there will be another Resistance, at least from Insomniac.

Edit: There is that Resistance game on Vita coming. maybe if that is successful we will get a side story series from Nihilistic on that thing. Otherwise Like I said I doubt a return to this universe which continues from R3.

Man

Yeah, sub-HD seems to actually have been in mind from the beginning.
The sprite effects have a higher amount of animation frames and the game has seemingly a higher count of high-end effects than any other current-generation game.

dalin80

Banned
Xater said:
I really really doubt there will be another Resistance, at least from Insomniac.

I want a remastered version of RFoM for the PS4.

will never happen though, will just have to wait for a ps3 emulator in 2030.

:-(

BeeDog said:
- Absolutely god-awful ending. For being the last(?) game in the series, they should've wrapped it up much, much neater. I skipped the end credits though; is there something after the credits?
- The single-player campaign felt a bit too short, but I guess it would've overstayed its welcome if it was padded any more. Is there a way to see your total game time?
- it's just pictures of some scene after the ending like
Capelli visiting graveyard etc
- in extras>reward> you can press l1 or r1 to change tab to multiplayer stat and campaign stat, your playtime is shown there.

BeeDog

Callibretto said:
- in extras>reward> you can press l1 or r1 to change tab to multiplayer stat and campaign stat, your playtime is shown there.

Thank you. Will check my play time later then.

Xater

Callibretto said:

The radio chatter and the pictures also suggest that humanity is winning the war against the chimera. Destroying the tower probably also severed the connection to the hive mind.

dalin80

Banned
Xater said:
The radio chatter and the pictures also suggest that humanity is winning the war against the chimera. Destroying the tower probably also severed the connection to the hive mind.

The ending
sadly ignores what happens in Britain, the first game and Russia, where the story started. It would have been nice to see cartwright again.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Xater said:
Edit: There is that Resistance game on Vita coming. maybe if that is successful we will get a side story series from Nihilistic on that thing. Otherwise Like I said I doubt a return to this universe which continues from R3.
Nihilistic aren't that good. I'd rather play a Resistance game made by Bend or Insomniac. I'm not dismissing Nihilistic though. Let's see how it turns out, I didn't like that GamesCom gameplay footage as well.

Xater

dalin80 said:
The ending
sadly ignores what happens in Britain, the first game and Russia, where the story started. It would have been nice to see cartwright again.

Is that really that surprising? American developer creates American centric story. Sorry to be that guy but it doesn't surprise me. The chatter and stuff is all we are getting. Just be happy it worked out for humanity somehow ;)

Loudninja

Xater said:

Not really sure where all this doubt is coming from.They never said they wont work on it, you never knwo what the feature hold.But right now they are working on 2 other games.

dalin80

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Nihilistic aren't that good. I'd rather play a Resistance game made by Bend or Insomniac. I'm not dismissing Nihilistic though. Let's see how it turns out, I didn't like that GamesCom gameplay footage as well.

All we can hope is that between the few months old that footage was and the few months until release of the vita Nihilisitc will have the time to tighten things up

NBtoaster

Xater said:
Is that really that surprising? American developer creates American centric story. Sorry to be that guy but it doesn't surprise me. The chatter and stuff is all we are getting. Just be happy it worked out for humanity somehow ;)

I don't think it was implied that this was the end of the fight with the chimera. jstevenson said R3 is not the end of the series. There's an intel at the end of the game saying there are still billions of chimera left.

Loudninja

dalin80 said:
All we can hope is that between the few months old that footage was and the few months until release of the vita Nihilisitc will have the time to tighten things up
That game wont come out until 2012.

Man

Y2Kev said:
I don't think they will want to come back. At least until Overstrike tanks.
Heh. The game will be good but I wonder why they decided on such a generic idea. It will share shelf space with Red Faction Armageddon and Army of Two: The 40th day.
Hopefully there will be a big gameplay presentation to convince us all within the next year.

Ashes

Banned
Started playing again...

Edit: playing the living plasma now, Really nice looking...soft colours just looks much better on our living room samsung rather than the generic stuff in my bedroom set... You think it looks good, but you gave no idea how good it can look on real lovely telly...

Pause...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still enjoying the game. The chapter which takes place in the mountains at night was particularly amazing (the lighting from the dropship was truly remarkable).

The one thing that continues to annoy me, however, is the framerate. It simply isn't anywhere near as smooth as it should be. It seems that Insomniac just can't hang with the likes of Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, or Sony Santa Monica. They've delivered visuals that can stand with those games, but the resolution is much lower, image quality very poor, and performance quite sluggish. At full 720p with FXAA at a steady 30 fps, this could have been one of the best looking games on any platform. I still think it looks great as is, but it's a shame they came so close to perfection but ultimately fell short. I'm sure getting to this point was no easy task, however, so they still deserve props. It's amazing how far they've come since Resistance 1.

Still, the kind of lighting and detail this game delivers with the insanely high enemy counts make for a lot of challenging scenarios. The forest at night honestly reminded me of Crysis, for instance, at least in terms of lighting.

Effect

Hazelhurst said:

I'm going to agree with this. While I still think KZ3 has some slight issues here and there it's use of Move overall is better then Resistance 3. It feels better when actually being used, especially in MP. I'd go as far as to say that Killzone 3 was designed with both Move and dual analog in mind. There are some sections in the KZ3 SP that make me think they were designed with Move first, to show off the Move controls. There isn't a single part of Resistance 3 that makes me think that. Or this really could come down to GG simply being able to implement them better then Insomniac.

I wonder how late into development the controls were actually worked on though. I know we've known for a while it was going to be using Move but when did actual work start on the controls is the key. I would assume the level design, encounter design, MP maps were already setup so the pointer control method didn't influence them. Or was the game designed to be played with that damn scope attachment as far as Move controls go and not the actual Move and Nav controller? I would guess it's easier to keep the things steady with that. This was a concern I had for a while since they kept showing off that and never talking about the regular Move controls.

Carbonox

NBtoaster said:
I don't think it was implied that this was the end of the fight with the chimera. jstevenson said R3 is not the end of the series. There's an intel at the end of the game saying there are still billions of chimera left.

Then the next one better sure as hell address that properly. Just my opinion.

Shadow780

Ashes1396 said:
Last J.S spoke, it really was limited run, and only in europe. I managed to snap a the special edition for 4 quid extra than the normal price ones though, and I'm sure he said those were out of stock as well... I think... OKay, I'm not totally sure now.

How much is it in stores?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Effect said:
Or was the game designed to be played with that damn scope attachment as far as Move controls go and not the actual Move and Nav controller? I would guess it's easier to keep the things steady with that. This was a concern I had for a while since they kept showing off that and never talking about the regular Move controls.

The only reason Sony is showing the Sharp Shooter in every Move compatible shooter ad is for selling as many units as possible of that shit before word of mouth kills it.

You don't benefit one bit from that. It easier to "get it" and more immersive if you like but at the end of the day it actually make things more difficult. Which pisses me off since I read a lot of "Move sucks" comments from people whose first and only experience with the Move was via the Sharp Shooter.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
TTP said:
The only reason Sony is showing the Sharp Shooter in every Move compatible shooter ad is for selling as many units as possible of that shit before word of mouth kills it.
I was thinking of buying it. Those ads really work. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NBtoaster said:
I don't understand why you think this. It absolutely implies that.
You think the Americans have some special ability to fight back the chimera that the Europeans/Asians/Africans don't? The Americans were able to rebuild New York and properly bury people.

The end of the game CLEARLY implies a chimera-free earth.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I tried the game with move last night and I CANNOT melee. No matter what I do. I got stuck in Haven at the stupid training course because I could not melee.

Just finished.
The last few chapters in the game were great, made up for what I thought was a pretty average first half. Will go through again on Superhuman and clear up Trophies for Platinum. Don't think I'll touch the MP, esp with 'Gears 3 just around the corner.

Overall it was decent and I don't regret buying it. Music and sound excellent, some visuals were great, some average (sub-HD and 30fps? Come on!), gunplay was good, weapon leveling brilliant and adds a nice layer onto the game, it's nice to see it in an FPS.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
I tried the game with move last night and I CANNOT melee. No matter what I do. I got stuck in Haven at the stupid training course because I could not melee.

Sounds like a bug. It occurred to me with the preview code when switching between Move and DS3. Try recalibrating (in game pause, don't exit) when that happens next time.

Top Bottom