• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wont be able to game it up for a few months as our house is getting some work done, but as soon as I can I'm buying this game thanks to all the positive GAF impressions.

Kudos to JS and the Insomniac team for delivering what seems to be a return to awesome.

Also, tanod! Good to cya again! :D

dalin80

Banned
Just replayed to the end of the prison section, such a satisfying end to that side story-esque section. Always nice to see the bad guy get what he deserves

Cudder

dalin80 said:
Just replayed to the end of the section, such a satisfying end to that side story-esque section. Always nice to see
the bad guy get what he deserves
Use spoilers on level descriptions, Jesus H. Christ.

dalin80

Banned
Cudder said:
Use spoilers on level descriptions, Jesus H. Christ.
There is spoilers, its the black bar in the middle of the post, unless you didnt want to know there is a prison level in which case noone would have any idea what the spoiler was relating too making it a risk to all.

Mush

dalin80 said:
There is spoilers, its the black bar in the middle of the post, unless you didnt want to know
there is a prison level
in which case noone would have any idea what the spoiler was relating too making it a risk to all.
Y2Kev won't like this one bit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, I don't like it. Because people don't know that there is a level in the location you described. But they would now if they read your post.

Don't you think late-game locations are spoilers? If not, I would advise that you start spoilering your entire post from here on out since you cannot determine what other people would be sensitive to. You know, like a late game location that is particularly revealing.

This is my final warning.

dalin80

Banned
Y2Kev said:
No, I don't like it. Because people don't know that there is a level in the location you described. But they would now if they read your post.

Don't you think late-game locations are spoilers? If not, I would advise against spoilering your entire post from here on out since you cannot determine what other people would be sensitive to.

This is my final warning.

fair enough, but you may want to delete about 50 unspoiled references to it in the past 70 pages, some from before the game was even released here in the UK and almost a whole page discussion familiarities to
nova prospect
and
ravenholm.

JB1981

KingHenrik30 said:
Finished and loved the game. Two thoughts.

1. After the
Prison
, how did Joe
Get from PA to NY? Walk? It's REALLY far. would have liked some explanation of that
Edit: Not sure on chapter, but deals with a part of the game over 3/4 of the way through

and

2. Thoughts on the end:
Chimeran threat is still alive, but this was a turn for the better for the good guys, finally. They are rebuilding the US. The Pure Chimera are still there. My guess is that the next game jumps forward 10-15 years. Human race has appropriated Chimeran technology and is now taking the fight to the Pure Chimera. Player character will be a new one, maybe Joe's son?
Agreed 100% on point 1. And this is precisely why the ending feels rushed. Prior to this section the game was basically like a road film. We know how Joe for from point A to point B throughout the journey. The abrupt cut in the area you mentioned felt creatively lazy.

Ashes

Banned
dalin80 said:
The
guy
who looked like
elvis
seemed to look a bit off, like
he
was made from plastic.

You sure don't like being told off.. :p

Are planning to do this till you get bored?

Y2Kev

I didn't tell anyone off. I am just trying to protect people's right to not be spoilered in a no spoiler zone!

Ashes

Banned
13 and half hours on difficult in real time.
11 hours according to the game stats... If you account that I left it running for bit', it's about 9 hours and a half hours..

JB1981

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
For Malakov...

I thought the way they brutally off'd him was a little over the top, and unnecessary.
I agree. Ten minutes into R2 (have played before) and man R3 is an upgrade in every area: controls, graphics, art direction, storytelling, gameplay.

This game is fucking ugly. Hold to sprint blows !!!

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I didn't tell anyone off. I am just trying to protect people's right to not be spoilered in a no spoiler zone!

Don't sweat it... I'm sure he is intelligent enough to not shit up the thread for too long.

And you sure weren't kidding about the last few stages! died... Erm... Quite a few times...

leng jai

Sure Resistance 3 looks good in a blurry kind of way but the people saying its the best looking game this generation must be kidding.

Mush

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
For Malakov...

I thought the way they brutally off'd him was a little over the top, and unnecessary.
I thought
it was well done personally. They cut away at the right time and didn't linger on his body or anything like that.

Raoh

Just finished it on casual. Wasn't sure how much time i wanted to spend on resistance 3. too much good shooter competition to care really, but i love the resistance campaign so i figured i would run through it and jump online real quick.

Glad i played it on casual, now i plan to play it in every mode in order of difficulty to increase my trophies and just enjoy it with a little more each time.

If its one thing Insomniac knows its weapons. I forgave each bug and flaw once i got back to controlling my weapon combinations.

I never got into the Ratchet and Clank series and now because of this game I want to go back and play them.

About to jump online, but damn if the chance to play it again or with co op this time doesn't tempt me as much.

Edit***
Oh and the music is just phenomenal.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
For the Superhuman trophy..do you have to start a new game and pick that difficulty then? Or once i beat it on normal, can i just go and individually play chapters as i like in what order i like picking that as the difficulty?

And will i still get the trophy if i have someone help me in co-op on some/all chapters?

BrettXNA

Banned
leng jai said:
Sure Resistance 3 looks good in a blurry kind of way but the people saying its the best looking game this generation must be kidding.

I said it was the best looking FPS this gen.
And I will stick by that - the only thing that looks crappy to me is
The ladder climbing animations.

theBishop

Banned
JB1981 said:
Yea? I thought it was the easiest of the 3

Same here. First playthrough on hard I've only died a couple of times. Played R2 on hard, and routinely died this many times on the tougher encounters.

Having all the weapons makes a big difference in the difficulty.

Y2Kev

In R2, though, everyone complained about Hale only getting targeted and then being made of paper on top of that. It was unfairly hard.

I'm playing with Move now...I see why the ADS is kinda gimped. It's so accurate from the hip now that you don't really need ADS. But it really gimps weapons that you need to use ADS for, like snipers and the auger. Kinda understand the pickle.

patsu

I find that the R3 difficulty can vary depending on your luck.

On my first playthrough on Difficult, Chapter 17
The "fortress" right before the tower
was REALLY difficult. The Ravagers, Steel Heads, Hybrids, drones and their mothers kept visiting with little time for me to recover. The checkpoint also didn't kick in so I had to restart the encounter further than I liked. Had to drop to Normal.

On my second playthrough, those Chimerans are much more eh... friendly (Still on Difficult). It seems that the experience can be rather different for each session.

In my second game, I noticed that the regular, non-flying Hybrids can
climb between floors in the building/ruin outside the downed plane. I didn't see that in my first game

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Juancho9 said:
Any word on the freezing and slowdown that occurs in MP?

patch is being tested, should go into Sony testing tomorrow, which may take a couple days between it going into testing / being deployed

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:
In R2, though, everyone complained about Hale only getting targeted and then being made of paper on top of that. It was unfairly hard.

I'm playing with Move now...I see why the ADS is kinda gimped. It's so accurate from the hip now that you don't really need ADS. But it really gimps weapons that you need to use ADS for, like snipers and the auger. Kinda understand the pickle.

I don't think it "gimps" weapons. It alters the feeling to the point of generating a strong contrast between from the hip and ADS shooting. Once you get used to this and understand how the camera assist works, it's actually too easy to kill when aiming down the sights.

If anything, as a friend recently put it, assist is so strong it has more of an impact on combat than your actual aiming.

Mystery

jstevenson said:
patch is being tested, should go into Sony testing tomorrow, which may take a couple days between it going into testing / being deployed

Can you elaborate on what causes the freezing? I know that sometimes I freeze when leapers pop out of a corpse, and sometimes when grenades are being thrown at me, and sometimes when nothing at all is happening.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it hard on normal (later levels), I'd like to think that I at least half competent, I actually found RFoM pretty easy on normal, part of me thinks it's becuase of my play style though, mate of mine today said that he found RFoM quite hard which was the opposite for me, like others have said though I think on a second play through it should be easier.

I have been watching this guy's run through on youtube, the game looks pretty fun especially some of the weapons, although that death scream the chimera makes is getting really, really, old :p

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
scorpscarx said:
...although that death scream the chimera makes is getting really,
really, old :p

I love that, It's a very handy indicator to let you know when you've downed a long distance enemy or shooting blind.

Hixx

As much as I enjoy the Park map (it seems everyone else does too as it always wins votes). the performance on it is horrid :( Framerate dips everywhere.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it hard on normal (later levels), I'd like to think that I at least half competent, I actually found RFoM pretty easy on normal, part of me thinks it's becuase of my play style though, mate of mine today said that he found RFoM quite hard which was the opposite for me, like others have said though I think on a second play through it should be easier.

I didn't find it easy; just that pausing with the weapon wheel, means you can take your self out of the action and create more of a strategy; where as in other games, I only start really thinking, when I die.... :p

Oh and after 17 is
where that isn't so feasible

lowrider007 said:
I love that, It's a very handy indicator to let you know when you've downed a long distance enemy or shooting blind.

I guess it would be enjoyable if your playing but it's making the game seem very repetitive as an observer.

I'm such an impatient idiot....I bought it..

SP is fun and looks good. Sadly I never buy nor enjoy an FPS for a SP experience.
And so far it looks as if that's the redeeming part of the game.

I like that Co-op offline is back, except for the god awful tiny screen each player gets making it less appealing. Me and my son were hyped for that aspect but when we saw the grey bars along the sides it made an awesome option a let down (is there a way to change this?)

Incredibly sad that the class based co-op from R2 is gone.
The removal of this for me ranks in the top head scratching moments for changes made in sequels. Thinking that the changes made in KZ3 MP were terrible aren't even close to the complete removal of one of the best co-op experience this gen. Honestly the online co-op of R2 was better then any moment of R1's SP&MP and R2 as far as I was concerned.
To be honest, many of my friends (who don't follow gaming and rely on my purchases or info on games) have decided to rent and/or pass on R3 just because of this after I told them. Many have asked "why? It was the best thing the series did."

And the MP...wow...nothing good here to say. Bad levels, horrible balance, so-so graphics, piss poor stability, just not fun.
After having a few of my buddies play it at my house over these last few days all its accomplished was more people holding onto the $60 they might have spent on it.
Even if the online stability is fixed and some balance is brought to the game I can't imagine more then a small niche group playing the MP after other MP shooters land this fall.

Really sad...I had such high hopes and felt like R2 was on the edge of being great online so R3 would sort the problems of R2 out and be that perfect addition to the series..
But just like GG did with KZ3, they took something near perfect and made it mediocre and soon to be forgotten for its MP aspect.

Is it just me or does the addition of 3D and Move support make developers just forget how to make good games that progress on what past entries have started.
It's like one step forward on things a minority want, or can afford, and 3 steps back on the game overall.

Top Bottom