• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Himself said:
Eh. I think
if they killed off Capelli it would have seemed a bit forced, cliche, too melodramatic. It makes perfect sense that he finished the mission and went back to his wife. Now that I'm playing again I noticed they get married in the prologue. Am I crazy or does it show them getting married again in one of the postcard thingys during the ending?
Having him dangle by his pinkie while shooting hordes of baddies then survive a 50 drop onto metal then get caught from an impossible angle while falling made the whole game a joke, not to mention if a single helicopter and 2 guys could take down the terraformer what took the humans so long to do it?

Forsete

Eh.. Completed the game in co-op with no bugs.

But just now when trying to play the campaign by myself the game freaked out twice on me.
First while loading the first mission.. Screen black and no activity. Restart via the power button on the PS3 Slim.
2nd time I got to play up to the first encounter, then the game just froze in the middle of the battle. Music still playing, but no gunshot sounds, screen stuck, PS-button not working. Restart with the power button on the PS3.

I was downloading something in the background if that makes a difference, and I chose to use the upgraded weapons I had aquired in my co-op playthough.

JB1981

TTP said:
Worse than Killzone 3 one?
No definitely not but not the climax I was looking for. Did they run out of time or something? I mean we have been fighting these fuckers for three games! The series deserved fuller resolution!!!

Effect

The Nav controller has an extra square and x button. No reason they couldn't have made them mappable. Having melee moved to one of them instead of the forward thrust would have been so much better. Swinging the remotes have been fine for melee swings but thrusting the remote has never been fun, at least for me. It doesn't always work in the many games I've played. It's slow as well and can get you killed.

Xater

JB1981 said:
No definitely not but not the climax I was looking for. Did they run out of time or something? I mean we have been fighting these fuckers for three games! The series deserved fuller resolution!!!

Time surely can not be the problem here. They had 3 years for this game right? I just think Insomniac are just not that good at serious storytelling. makes me glad they are retuning soon to Ratchet and the multiplatform game they are doing seems to be also more comedic in nature.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
Damn I enjoyed the game but the end gives you very little closure. Felt very rushed, not a satisfying ending AT ALL
I don't really understand though. What do you think is outstanding? Keep in mind I think there is another game between
this and the end that they depict.

I thought a lot was left unresolved, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized was kinda not.

JB1981

Xater said:
Time surely can not be the problem here. They had 3 years for this game right? I just think Insomniac are just not that good at serious storytelling. makes me glad they are retuning soon to Ratchet and the multiplatform game they are doing seems to be also more comedic in nature.
I found the storytelling quite good until the last act. A major improvement on the first two games

kev: I just felt it didn't satisfy the narrative drama. Even the direction of the final scene felt tacked on.

Xater

JB1981 said:
I found the storytelling quite good until the last act. A major improvement on the first two games

It was alright, but nothing was going to wow me after Deus Ex. It really fell apart after the prison stuff.

Koralsky

Y2Kev said:
I tried the game with move last night and I CANNOT melee. No matter what I do. I got stuck in Haven at the stupid training course because I could not melee.

Same with me. Have the two updates installed, trying to re-calibrate a couple of times, but without any success :/

TTP said:

I'd say yes. KZ3 may not have a good ending, but at the very least you know it's not the end of the series, and they got that little teaser in the end to get you talking. we don't even know if insomniac will make another Resistance is their new ip takes off.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Effect said:
The Nav controller has an extra square and x button. No reason they couldn't have made them mappable. Having melee moved to one of them instead of the forward thrust would have been so much better. Swinging the remotes have been fine for melee swings but thrusting the remote has never been fun, at least for me. It doesn't always work in the many games I've played. It's slow as well and can get you killed.

Circle ;)

I love to melee with forward thrust. Works 100% of the time as well. Some games do make it seems like it's not working tho, especially if multiple melee are required to bring an enemy down since you get no on-screen indication that it registered as long as the previous animation is still going. With a button you don't notice as you just tap it furiously. With motion melees animation should be interrupted whenever you re-melee IMO for the sake of reassuring you it registered.

But it does register consistently. Easy to check for yourself. Just stand and melee the air while no enemy is nearby. Wait for the melee animation to end and re-melee.

patsu

JB1981 said:

I think it's ok for them to focus on Capelli. This is Capelli's story set in the Chimeran history. They did close a few major R2 questions but we also learn more about the human's perspective. I think if they try to squeeze too much story in, the game will become confusing.

I hope they make an SP DLC for R3 ^_^

patsu

Callibretto said:
I'd say yes. KZ3 may not have a good ending, but at the very least you know it's not the end of the series, and they got that little teaser in the end to get you talking. we don't even know if insomniac will make another Resistance is their new ip takes off.

We know R3 is not the last game. We also know Vita has another one.

So far I'm about half way through. I think the game is excellent. But the story has me completely unengaged.

Resistance 1 told such a better story. Honestly, cliche save your family stories do nothing for me. The stupid glove and saving family thing is just too boring. The narrative in the first game was awesome. This story really isn't doing much for me.

But other than that, the gameplay is superb.

Desmond

shadowsdarknes said:
So far I'm about half way through. I think the game is excellent. But the story has me completely unengaged.

Resistance 1 told such a better story. Honestly, cliche save your family stories do nothing for me. The stupid glove and saving family thing is just too boring. The narrative in the first game was awesome. This story really isn't doing much for me.

Spoiler tags. Some may not have played yet

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just finished the game, in game counter says 7:44 but it was closer to 10 tbh as I died quite a lot, I wish I could of said I liked it more than RFoM but sadly I cannot, that's not to say it was a bad game though, I feel that the review scores it's getting in terms of numbers at least are fair (80), if it wasn't for the weapon wheel and selection of cool weapons that score would be considerably lower.

Environments didn't really set me on fire,
(Although I loved the last couple of chapters, finally some Chimeran architecture)
I think maybe I just find American environments in games boring, I think that's one of the reasons why I loved RFoM so much being set in England, perhaps I'm being biased though considering that's were I reside, but I don't think it's just that, RFoM has a kind of depressing sombreness about it that I love, I'm not sure if it's becuase of the colour pallet or setting, maybe both, but the narrator in RFoM definitely helped set the tone of the game, also I felt that the pacing was a lot better in RFoM, in R3 as it progresses it just felt like I was being bumrushed with enemies most of the time, it got a bit repetitive, that was my main negative of the game really, the pacing, people will probably kill me for saying this but I think I even preferred R2's pacing over R3's.

patsu

shadowsdarknes said:

This story really isn't doing much for me.

Play some more ^_^

This game should be more "provoking" than the first one. You may or may not like it though.

patsu

Yeah R3 should be more depressing since the game covers a lot more details there. In RFOM,we didn't even meet a single civilian. ^_^

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TTP said:
No. KZ3 had one of the most obnoxiously abrupt endings ever. I actually like the R3 ending. It's short but gives closure to the story they were telling in R3. I just think too many people just assumed that R3 would be the last one and were hoping for a more concrete ending.

Grisby

RoboPlato said:
No. KZ3 had one of the most obnoxiously abrupt endings ever. I actually like the R3 ending. It's short but gives closure to the story they were telling in R3. I just think too many people just assumed that R3 would be the last one and were hoping for a more concrete ending.

KZ3's ending basically made me feel like a huge dick. I think for me its the worst ending of the year, at least as far as FPS endings go.

Achtius

One thing I really dislike about the R3 story is that they didn't touch upon a lot of things that were introduced in R2.
Cloven (what happened to them), Chimeran tower (why were they there in the first place), gray tech (where did it come from), the "war" between chimera and the other race, what was the prometheus weapon, what happened to all the primarch, overseer and angel and why/how were they replaced by the 'hivemind', what was the hivemind.
. Millions of stuff were blatantly ignored in this game. But still I enjoy the story-telling in R3 a lot better than R2.

The only new thing I gained from the R3 storyline is
Nathan Hale is really dead, there is a vaccine, some strain of chimera became feral, human have a chance to win, how the wormhole was formed and it was subsequently closed, and the doctor died :(

Also one ridiculous thing about the story is how
the warden was able to hack the drone to make the prison a safe (not safe safe, but safe as in death-squad free)

The graphics are just god awful in this game. Well, besides some of the effects. And the character models.......good god They're bordering PS2 level.

But I'm having some fun with this game. Some of the AI is just dumb as hell as some enemies I've encountered just stands there right in front of you while doing nothing, like the
prison
level.

I'm guessing I'm near the end of the game as I just got to
New York City
. The level reminds me the final levels in R1.

All in all, I still think R1 is a better game. Maybe it's nostalgic and playing the game today would make me think of R1 differently, but I loved the European setting and art in the game.

theBishop

Banned
Achtius said:
One thing I really dislike about the R3 story is that they didn't touch upon a lot of things that were introduced in R2.
Cloven (what happened to them), Chimeran tower (why were they there in the first place), gray tech (where did it come from), the "war" between chimera and the other race, what was the prometheus weapon, what happened to all the primarch, overseer and angel and why/how were they replaced by the 'hivemind', what was the hivemind.
. Millions of stuff were blatantly ignored in this game. But still I enjoy the story-telling in R3 a lot better than R2.

Maybe we'll get more in Burning Skies.... (unlikely).

Good points though. While the Resistance universe seems to take its internal consistency very seriously, it rarely delivers it's "Big Revelations" with the appropriate weight. I remember playing Fall of Man and being totally caught up in the Cloven and the possibility that somebody in this world actually knows what's happening. Potentially the same idea as G-Man in Half Life. But where Valve very carefully dripfeeds info about G-Man and the larger conflict, Insomniac just seems to forget about it. And it's a shame because I suspect Insomniac has established more of the Resistance story than Valve has.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jason's Ultimatum said:
The graphics are just god awful in this game. Well, besides some of the effects. And the character models.......good god They're bordering PS2 level.

But I'm having some fun with this game. Some of the AI is just dumb as hell as some enemies I've encountered just stands there right in front of you while doing nothing, like the
prison
level.
You really need to go back and look at some PS2 games again. This is a beautiful shooter.

JB1981

RoboPlato said:
Based on the ending it certainly seems that way.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Jason's Ultimatum said:
First time I disagree with a post in this thread. Even Thrakier's posts made sense. It's nowhere close to PS2 level.

Achtius

Also after playing skirmish on Global Resistance, it would be kinda cool if they make an Advance War type of game for PSVita.

patsu said:
jstevenson already said they didn't plan R3 to be the last game in the franchise.

It can't be since Burning Skies is coming out on PSVita. But the question is, are they still going to make R4?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dark10x said:
You really need to go back and look at some PS2 games again. This is a beautiful shooter.

I wouldn't go as far as PS2 level, but the character models ARE terrible. The humans look more jacked up than the Chimera. lol

Sporran

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The graphics are just god awful in this game.

Ive not finished the game on chapter 18. Have to say im trying to look past the lower than usual rez but something is just lingering, its only when it gets busy and im like OMG the weapons become the redeeming feature and bring a smile to my face.

I so much remember RFOM and near the end walking around just looking up in amazement, felt like i was in the matrix, was truely beautiful, specially the chimeran architecture. What has gone wrong?

Feels sometimes Haze'ish at times. Very muddy textures, but having said that its still a good game (not great jmo), but am enjoying it and much so i will do superhuman :). But it has a taste very much like my Alan Wake experince. At the end no doubt rewarding but during feels it could have been a lot better.

BeeDog

Just checked my SP stats:

Game time: 00:06:58:31
Kills: 1835
Deaths: 30 (!)

So yeah, a bit too short for my liking, but whatever.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
They've made 8 Ratchet titles. Making a 4th Resistance game seems like a given.

If Sony lets them. Or if they want to. Or if sales hold up. Or if they want them to work on something else (please). Or if they want to bother given they will just keep getting Insomniac's 3rd party stuff.

patsu

Achtius said:
It can't be since Burning Skies is coming out on PSVita. But the question is, are they still going to make R4?

If sales are good, and they have a good idea for R4, then they should go ahead. ^_^

Kintaro said:
If Sony lets them. Or if they want to. Or if sales hold up. Or if they want them to work on something else (please). Or if they want to bother given they will just keep getting Insomniac's 3rd party stuff.

I think a big positive about Resistance like Ratchet is that they've created a universe flexible enough that they could make any type of game they want. Plus they have two separate teams.

do we know if Burning Skies take place before or after R3? I got the feeling it's gonna be just a filler story, just a firemen trying to survive

Callibretto said:
do we know if Burning Skies take place before or after R3? I got the feeling it's gonna be just a filler story, just a firemen trying to survive

Edit - Ok I looked this up. Burning Skies takes place in 1951. Resistance 2 takes place in 1953. According to the timeline the chimera spired parts of the east coast including New York and Vermont in 51. Then 2 years later the chimera launch a full scale invasion on both coasts.

Achtius

Callibretto said:

I hope it's a filler since Burning Skies is probably going to be horrible. It's developed by Nihilistic Software afterall.

Desmond

I'm on chapter 18 and getting a lot of FoM/Retribution vibes which is making me want Retribution on the R3 engine (or FoM trophies lol)

patsu

Achtius said:
I hope it's a filler since Burning Skies is probably going to be horrible. It's developed by Nihilistic Software afterall.

There are many gaps in the R2 story. This one may try to fill in the holes
(I would like to see how some Chimeras Gone Feral)

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It takes place during the same time the Chimera attack San Fransisco in R2. Or at least right around that time.

yeah, so it'll never end in a high note for that game considering how badly the world went after R2. the most you can hope is the main character just survive or running away (or died a hero's death saving a bunch of people)

patsu

Callibretto said:
yeah, so it'll never end in a high note for that game considering how badly the world went after R2. the most you can hope is the main character just survive or running away (or died a hero's death saving a bunch of people)

Depends. He could be the reason why
some Chimeras gone feral. :p

Seems to cause a lot of problem for them.

Massa

Callibretto said:

It takes place before R2 and shows the Chimera invasion of America, like R2.

Top Bottom