• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

French

Banned
Kintaro said:
If Sony lets them. Or if they want to. Or if sales hold up. Or if they want them to work on something else (please). Or if they want to bother given they will just keep getting Insomniac's 3rd party stuff.

The future of the franchise seems very uncertain to me.

- The ending ends it all.
- Insomniac has started to go multiplatform ( and Ratchet games don't sell as much as before ).
- R3 could bomb because of the terrible word of mouth after R2, and few hype.

I'd like Sony to wait a few years and reboot it on PS4 ( by another studio ).

Proelite

Y2Kev said:
I don't understand why you think this. It absolutely implies that.
You think the Americans have some special ability to fight back the chimera that the Europeans/Asians/Africans don't? The Americans were able to rebuild New York and properly bury people.

The end of the game CLEARLY implies a chimera-free earth.

Or it could be that parts of North America are secured from the Chimera and is totally safe from Chimeran counter-attacks.

I think it's a bit odd that people think R2 had an overblown and convoluted story, but they fault R3 for not bogging itself down continuing all the details. After 2, they needed they tightest experience to ITSELF they could get. They made the right choices to get the best R3 game they could and they did a great job.

Anyone here got Platinum yet? I am just hoovering up the combat ones which are mostly pretty well thought out, then I just have to finish it on Superhuman. Then the co-op stuff although I don't know anyone with the game, unless someone here wants to rip through it?

spats

KennyLinder said:
Anyone here got Platinum yet? I am just hoovering up the combat ones which are mostly pretty well thought out, then I just have to finish it on Superhuman. Then the co-op stuff although I don't know anyone with the game, unless someone here wants to rip through it?

I think I'm 82% in currently. Got the co-op stuff and beat on superhuman. All I have left are the shitty, annoying ones like
defend the pub, juggling trophy, find all the intel etc.

Hixx

Man didn't know they had stats for campaign too. 5 and a half hours on difficult :(

Same problems with multiplayer as I had with beta too, you are gimped for at least 10 levels, getting steamrolled is no fun. Also, where's the 'classic' (no perk/killstreak) playlist at??

Massa

HixxSAFC said:
Man didn't know they had stats for campaign too. 5 and a half hours on difficult :(

Same problems with multiplayer as I had with beta too, you are gimped for at least 10 levels, getting steamrolled is no fun. Also, where's the 'classic' (no perk/killstreak) playlist at??

It's called Classic Hardcore.

Drewfonse

I'm right at the end of the game, and I've gotta admit to feeling a bit letdown by this game. It starts off like a house on fire, but that middle third of the game completely sucks. It's boring and adds nothing to the overall narrative. Zero. Basically everything that happens in Pennsylvania. It plays, looks and feels dated. The graphics are noticeably worse during those sequences too.

The game does pick up towards the end, but it feels like a shooting gallery. Sometimes the AI is pretty good, and sometimes, well, they stand there facing the wall while you're in the room wih them. Great atmosphere, but the middle part of the game is AWFUL, IMO. Already posted the game on Amazon.

Reave

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The graphics are just god awful in this game. Well, besides some of the effects. And the character models.......good god They're bordering PS2 level.
Oh, c'mon now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kintaro said:
I wouldn't go as far as PS2 level, but the character models ARE terrible. The humans look more jacked up than the Chimera. lol
Yes, but in the face of everything it does well, that's easy to ignore. Humans only end up near the camera in cutscenes, but you really don't see them most of the game. Still much better looking than the humans in, say, Halo 3 (visuals are quite a bit better as well). Halo 3 wasn't praised for its visuals, but nobody tried to claim it looked like a PS2 title.

Drewfonse

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The graphics are just god awful in this game. Well, besides some of the effects. And the character models.......good god They're bordering PS2 level.

But I'm having some fun with this game. Some of the AI is just dumb as hell as some enemies I've encountered just stands there right in front of you while doing nothing, like the
prison
level.

I'm guessing I'm near the end of the game as I just got to
New York City
. The level reminds me the final levels in R1.

All in all, I still think R1 is a better game. Maybe it's nostalgic and playing the game today would make me think of R1 differently, but I loved the European setting and art in the game.

Agreed on all counts. The human character models are atrocious.

Man

The character models looked totally fine to me. Quite excellent actually. Is this a joke?

resistance-3.jpg

resistance3.jpg

patsu

Yap, character models are not industry leading, but they are not as bad as Bioshock or PS2 models.
I like the corpses in NY city too. They gave the impression of a terrible fight way before me... plus so much goodies to loot !

Muliplayer questions:

I apologize if this has been touched upon already and/or if it's just a dumb question. :p

I find myself getting points fairly consistently (i.e. little things, 20pts here and there... like kill assist points and when I shoot leapers from corpses), but they don't seem to count towards my overall points.

Is this a glitch or am I missing something?

Also- are there really no points for successfully defending a stolen flag (the time between killing the holder and the flag returning to your base)?
I seem to recall getting points for this in R1. :/

Sporran

Man said:
The character models looked totally fine to me. Quite excellent actually. Is this a joke?

Lets be fair they dont look quite like that in the game, have to save the cutscenes are full of mpeg compression artifects, its quite embarrassing. Blu ray has SOOOOO much space why did they compress the cutscenes.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
TheJollyCorner said:
Muliplayer questions:

I apologize if this has been touched upon already and/or if it's just a dumb question. :p

I find myself getting points fairly consistently (i.e. little things, 20pts here and there... like kill assist points and when I shoot leapers from corpses), but they don't seem to count towards my overall points.

I guess they just count towards your overall XP that you level up with rather than the score. Although it's odd you wouldn't get points for the kill assists since the stat shows up in the final scoreboard.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I am really impressed by the graphics in this game. Not a big fan of the characters, but everything else is a massive leap from R1/R2... Only halfway in but really loving the game. Great atmosphere and it's great to see such much movement in the environments, makes them feel so much more alive.

Edit: Guess I am not the only one who thinks the characters are mediocre.

TheJollyCorner said:
Muliplayer questions:

Also- are there really no points for successfully defending a stolen flag (the time between killing the holder and the flag returning to your base)?
I seem to recall getting points for this in R1. :/

Do you mean they don't towards your game-score? Because only kills (100 pts) add to that. The small assist points get added at the end. I think.

Drewfonse

betty swollocks said:
Agendas?

If you honestly believe that? FO and get a grip. Goddamn...

Agenda? No, more like an opinion. My opinion is that, most of the time, the graphics are below par and the human character models blow hard.

Desmond

I just finished, don't know how long it took.

Anyone wanna play superhuman co-op ? We can do random levels in any order, it don't matter for the trophy

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The characters, other than Capelli are all pretty bad. The graphics themselves are pretty nice, but still very blurry.

USF

Why is it too hard to get into MP game :s
Keeps giving me server time out error. Does it have to do with my region?

Have been taking my very sweet time with the game... and just today I finished it.

This Resistance really feels like a Journey... I loved it so much.

One of the best FPS in this generation without a doubt... such a fantastic experience, well done Insomniac... i take off my hat and bow to you!

Now... off to trophy hunt :D

Effect

TTP said:

Thanks. I have been sick the past few days. That's my excuse. :)

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I think a big positive about Resistance like Ratchet is that they've created a universe flexible enough that they could make any type of game they want. Plus they have two separate teams.

I think a RTS set in the Resistance universe would be pretty interesting to see. Perhaps not a full out base building one but something perhaps closer to Dawn of War 2 or Company of Heroes. Clearly an FPS can be done. It's also a bit survival horrorish already. Focus on military units or go with civilians.

patsu

USF said:
Why is it too hard to get into MP game :s
Keeps giving me server time out error. Does it have to do with my region?

I remember Insomniac posted something about errors in Middle East. Are you there ?

patsu

Wow, I think Lince is already level 30 now (or close to it). According to Dave1988's photo 2 days ago, Pikma was at level 19, pwonager level 26.

I'm at level 14, but decide to wait for Insomniac to fix the lag first.
I have been replaying part of the game while waiting. ^_^

Zoibie

Just finished and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
NY dragged a bit but there were a lot of awesome moments, especially the prison sequence.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I think the graphics a pretty good tbh and I played on a 46" screen @ about 6 feet, quite obviously low res though which can be a little jarring at times and some parts did look poor but for the most part I'd actually say they are 'good', I like the lens flare lighting effect and also they made good use of the shadows now and again which was liked.

I think I'll try having another play through, my impressions weren't really that positive initially but I'd like to see if I can get some more enjoyment out of it, I think finding the later levels difficult during the 'bumrush' phase of the game dampened my spirits a bit, perhaps I need to change my strategy, normally I like to hang back and clear areas out but sometimes I felt like enemies were re-spawning and I needed to hit a trigger point, is that the case during sections of this the game?

Finished it in about 6 hours on normal. It was good. Better than 2. Better than 1, also - there's a lot of rose-tinted specs about the quality of that game, when it's just a bog-standard corridor fps. Some bits looked shabby, but some looked nice. Enjoyed the bosses. Storytelling was pretty dreadful all round. The last couple of levels bugged me:
am getting so sick of games ending on alien spaceships. Grrrrrrr.

Oh, and also, some spoilers about chapters 14/15ish.

The prison stuff was straight out of the Walking Dead comics, I felt - essentially, the bit with the Warden reminded me of the Governor tonally.

BrettXNA

Banned
Been playing my stepsons copy today and yesterday - and so far I am blown away by this
Game. I expected it to be good but am shocked by just how how good it is.
Graphics are the best so far for a fps imo this gen - including crysis and the gears of war games and the killzone games.
Lighting is simply amazing - the first time I used the Atomizer my jaw hit the floor.
And this is the first game I can remember where the material objects are made of really look like the material they are supposed to be.
I mean look at a wooden object and it actually looks like wood - metal cans or walls look like metal - brick really looks like brick, cloth looks like cloth. No looking at an object and thinking "mmm thats supposed to be wood - why does it look like plastic then?"
Combat is intense and furious, the weapons sound and feel great, enemy variety is good.
Enviroments are great and simply look amazing and really feel like they are in a warzone.
Atmosphere is great, there is a hopeless, broken feeling permeating everthing.
Playing with a DS3 btw.
Easily the best shooter this generation so far for me.
Easily.

Jubs

Poor Malikov. Detonating a magnum round in Mick's skull was worth it, though.

Mutator kills are so satisfactory in this game.
The way their head splits open when they swell up. So nice.

tanod

when is my burrito
Finished the game last night.
Rented it via Redbox because I don't have the $60 to spend right now.
I'm buying this the first chance I get.

Just a fantastic experience with the game from beginning to end. Pacing, weapons, atmosphere, controls. It all just felt really great and polished. Agree with some of the talk about the ending
and not feeling like it was a total payoff but that final sequence with the magnum felt so damn exhilarating and exciting. The sequence in the prison and getting revenge on Mick was similarly totally awesome. Poor Malikov.

I honestly got a lot of joy out of playing this game and it now stands as one of my favorites this gen. It's right up there with R&C: Crack in Time with Insomniac just nailing everything that's fun about the series. Can't wait to see where they could take it next.

Finished and loved the game. Two thoughts.

1. After the
Prison
, how did Joe
Get from PA to NY? Walk? It's REALLY far. would have liked some explanation of that
Edit: Not sure on chapter, but deals with a part of the game over 3/4 of the way through

and

2. Thoughts on the end:
Chimeran threat is still alive, but this was a turn for the better for the good guys, finally. They are rebuilding the US. The Pure Chimera are still there. My guess is that the next game jumps forward 10-15 years. Human race has appropriated Chimeran technology and is now taking the fight to the Pure Chimera. Player character will be a new one, maybe Joe's son?

Loudninja

Hey guys when you post spoliers can you put what chapter they are from? I think that makes it easier to avoid been spoiled by accident.

Top Bottom