• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Cornbread78

Finally got my copy Sat. night and played nothing but MP! A lot of fun, really solid online, just wish they could get rid of the horrid lag! Players that played teh BETA definately had the upper-hand in knowing how the game flows. New maps are pretty damn good also.

CozMick

Banned
Another great thing about the multiplayer is the maps, not one map is average, they're all superbly balanced and designed and that certainly doesn't happen in most shooters.

Park and Main Street are my favourites so far.

Cornbread78

Oh and JStev, I still hate that there are no clan rosters and it's 8v8 max, lol.

Maps are big enough to support 12v12, and I miss having large parties to gang up with, even if they are not on my PSN list.

Oh and thanks for the "Mosh Pit" or mixed bag Objective modes, was definately on my wish list!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Someone just pointed this out to me, not sure if it's been mentioned before but the enemies Auger's seem to have alot better range than yours ( or at least their x-ray vision does) yet your picking up the same weapons so what's the deal with that?, an oversight perhaps?, I remember there being a few instances were I've retreated quite far back and have had Auger fire targeted directly at me way out of range of my own capabilities with the same weapon?

T-0800

Finished my first playthourgh. Played on difficult and it took me 7h 15m. Loved every second of it.

If I had my way IG would be spending the next 3 years making R4 in time for the PS4 launch. One can dream.

Hixx

CozMick said:
Could someone tell me what the invisible game mode is on the matchmaking screen, it's at the bottom of the list?

going by other posts it seems to be the Classic Hardcore mode, not sure why it isn't labelled properly.

Raoh

Someone help me.. I am starting to really get addicted to Global Resistance...

I sort of wish it could have also been added as an in game option on the Resistance 3 disc (they loaded it with everything else movie/demo wise)

All they need to do now is sync it with psn so i can collect my rewards in game.

CozMick

Banned
Raoh said:

I sort of wish it could have also been added as an in game option on the Resistance 3 disc (they loaded it with everything else movie/demo wise)

All they need to do now is sync it with psn so i can collect my rewards in game.

FUCK YEAH!

Although I'm pissed at IG for making me play this game to unlock R3 skins I can't stop playing it.

We need more human players, infact everyone should be a human so we all get the Malikov skin easier :p

darkwing

Raoh said:

haha me too man, i have the game in the other browser just waiting for my soldiers to come in, humans need help though, they have the whole European/Asian/African continent now

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Better than R1?, how can people say this?, people need to play through RFoM again, see the environments, there's so much information in the details in R1, the crawlers creeping over the quaint English countryside picking up the dead, the conversion centres, the excavation site, the narration, the architecture, the pallet, the sombre atmosphere, R1 is an artistic master piece, I've played RFoM recently again, so no rose tinted glasses here, and architecturally speaking it owns R3, also Resistance RFoM felt like a PC game on a console, I presume being that R1 was started so early in the PS3's life cycle that this had a part to play in that, it wouldn't surprise if they didn't even have a PS3 dev kit when they started making RFoM but I think that was to the games advantage in the end as it shaped how the game felt.

theBishop

Banned
How do you guys feel about the time period in r3? In f2f a lot of people complained that it didn't feel like the 50s. You're logging around futuristic weapons, and the architechture could he from any time. Do you think r3 does a better job selling the period, or does it not matter?

T-0800

theBishop said:
How do you guys feel about the time period in r3? In f2f a lot of people complained that it didn't feel like the 50s. You're logging around futuristic weapons, and the architechture could he from any time. Do you think r3 does a better job selling the period, or does it not matter?

They did a great job. It actually feels like it is set in the 50s opposed to R2 where you wouldn't have a clue if you weren't told.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game so far (chapter 7) is far better than R1 and R2. It's still not grabbing me like the best games can, but it's been really well paced and thoroughly fun all the way. I almost can't believe I played it for this long in one sitting really. Some downsides are that while the atmosphere is built top notch this time around, characters, and their script are still just slightly better than they were in previous games, which is to say I don't really care all that much about them. The story is kinda dumb so far, and the dumbness could have easily been avoided if they just didn't try to connect it to the event from the end of R2, which is done in a completely strenuous and unbelievable way. Just completely unnecessary, eye rolling moment where it tells you
why the wormhole opened.
Other than that, I like the fact that the story brings on a journey, and how it tells you how far from New York you are. That was a great little touch. So even though I'm not all that intrigued to see how the story will unfold and what will happen to any of the characters, I'm definitely intrigued by how the next enemy encounters will play out, what next weapons I'll get, and generally what next will happen in terms of gameplay and set pieces, as it's been really fun so far!

It's also really a shame that despite being in sub hd, the games framerate drops so much. It's never to the point of being truly annoying, but it's running at 20-25FPS a lot of time.

theBishop said:
The sense of place, time period and overall atmosphere is fantastic. Matched only by the highest caliber games I can think of that provide that kind of thing. This is really what the 2nd game should have been, and in many ways they've accomplished the thickness of atmosphere and personality that the 1st game was going for but never achieved.

theBishop

Banned
Lord Error said:
The story is kinda dumb so far, and the dumbness could have easily been avoided if they just didn't try to connect it to the event from the end of R2, which is done in a completely strenuous and unbelievable way.

Both Resistance and Killzone suffer from this. The larger story of the universe has very strong, developed fiction, but the moment-to-moment story in each game kinda sucks.

It's obvious that Resistance draws a lot of influence from Half Life, but Insomniac hasn't been able to replicate Valve's skill at telling a large story from the ground-level. R3 is Insomniac's strongest attempt to date, but it still falls short.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
theBishop said:
It's obvious that Resistance draws a lot of influence from Half Life, but Insomniac hasn't been able to replicate Valve's skill at telling a large story from the ground-level. R3 is Insomniac's strongest attempt to date, but it still falls short.
I haven't even been half through the game yet, but yes, this all does seem true so far. What's annoying is that it's such an easily avoidable mistake, that only required of them to do less than they did.
Aliens opened a wormhole which is causing freezing everywhere. That's it, no further explanation is needed. They're aliens, they can open wormholes with their alien technology. They didn't need Nathan Hale's explosion in Mexico to open a wormhole in New York FFS...

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Oh and JStev, I still hate that there are no clan rosters and it's 8v8 max, lol.

Maps are big enough to support 12v12, and I miss having large parties to gang up with, even if they are not on my PSN list.

Oh and thanks for the "Mosh Pit" or mixed bag Objective modes, was definately on my wish list!
I still kinda disagree with this. If you stuff in 8 more players, then you effectively crush the ebb and flow of battle. R3 offers a lot of opportunity to move around and navigate the maps really well, particularly if you want to flank. It really does reward players who have good map knowledge and understand where the safe paths lie, etc.

I'd hate to see it devolve into the chaos that was R2, with too many players and not enough avenues of approach to give players options.

Achtius

CozMick said:
FUCK YEAH!

Although I'm pissed at IG for making me play this game to unlock R3 skins I can't stop playing it.

We need more human players, infact everyone should be a human so we all get the Malikov skin easier :p

We are totally getting owned right now :(

We are fighting on too many fronts, we should just defend North and South America and push either into Europe or Africa (Africa being the better choice), not both. But who knows what other people are doing

Also I deployed just a bit over 80k soldiers, 4-5 more days and I should be able to get the dummy target skin. Started 2 days ago.

Cornbread78

MrPliskin said:
I still kinda disagree with this. If you stuff in 8 more players, then you effectively crush the ebb and flow of battle. R3 offers a lot of opportunity to move around and navigate the maps really well, particularly if you want to flank. It really does reward players who have good map knowledge and understand where the safe paths lie, etc.

I'd hate to see it devolve into the chaos that was R2, with too many players and not enough avenues of approach to give players options.

First off, welcome back....

You're right, the flanking opportunities are great with so much open terrain, but the maps are just big enough to pack a few more onto each team and still be able to sneak around. I miss the bottleneck battles of R2 and KZ2. The fast & frantic gunplay was great in certain areas and tossign a granade into a crowd to pick up a few easy kills.. Mostly, I think I miss just ganging up on teams with a large party off peeps. I have to party hop now to play with different groups of friends, it's kinda distracting and annoying.

mbmonk

I have been keeping this game in the back of my mind since the terrible E3 showing ( I blame Sony for that not Insomniac ), and I think I am going to pick this game up tomorrow. I had no idea it had a HL2 vibe to it, and I love the art style. Color me surprised and impressed :). I will see you gentlemen on the battlefield this week.

Any tips for beginners in MP? A game mode I should start out on for example? I hear the advantage for higher level players over newb levels is a bit steep. Anyway to minimize that through game modes?

EDIT: Any deals out there for the US market?

MrPliskin said:

You're absolutely right, and I'm so glad that the game was designed with this philosophy in mind. The maps are plenty busy enough with the 8 v 8 player count, especially when you throw in everything that's going on with all of the abilities and such.

patsu

mbmonk said:
I have been keeping this game in the back of my mind since the terrible E3 showing ( I blame Sony for that not Insomniac ), and I think I am going to pick this game up tomorrow. I had no idea it had a HL2 vibe to it, and I love the art style. Color me surprised and impressed :). I will see you gentlemen on the battlefield this week.

Any tips for beginners in MP? A game mode I should start out on for example? I hear the advantage for higher level players over newb levels is a bit steep. Anyway to minimize that through game modes?

EDIT: Any deals out there for the US market?

Don't worry about MP at the moment. Focus on SP first.

High level MP players do have significant advantages. If you want, you can play the no-perks + no killstreak mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there ANY chance of further optimization to this game? I'm really enjoying it, but man, the framerate is so incredibly poor. I'm completely stunned that Insomniac found it acceptable to release this game with such a low framerate.

lowrider007 said:
Better than R1?, how can people say this?, people need to play through RFoM again, see the environments, there's so much information in the details in R1, the crawlers creeping over the quaint English countryside picking up the dead, the conversion centres, the excavation site, the narration, the architecture, the pallet, the sombre atmosphere, R1 is an artistic master piece, I've played RFoM recently again, so no rose tinted glasses here, and architecturally speaking it owns R3, also Resistance RFoM felt like a PC game on a console, I presume being that R1 was being made so early in the PS3's life cycle that this had a part to play, it wouldn't surprise if they didn't even have a PS3 dev kit when they started making RFoM but I think that was to the games advantage in the end as it shaped how the game felt.
I just played it again recently as well and thought it felt really dated and stiff. It felt to me like an attempt at making a Halo game with a more grounded, military feel mixed with the sci-fi. It's still a good game, of course, but it definitely feels like something made for a system launch.

Resistance 3 is a bit more narrow, but I think it feels more like a PC game with some console influences in there. Honestly, I've been thinking constantly how the game seems inspired by Half-Life 2. The constant shifting in tone and scenery, some of the specific areas you visit, and the change of mechanics depending on the scenario really reminded me of that game. There's also things like the full arsenal available (like a PC game) and the use of health packs without regeneration.

Hixx

Terraformer is a poor map. You can basically draw a line right the way through it and say 'if you cross this line, you die'. There needs to be at least 1 hallway that isn't just a killzone.

Also I got 2 completely random suicides on it. One I can't even describe, I have no idea what happened, but the second, I was huddling next to a wall, crouched, so I could regain health. About a second after my health started to regen I died and on the killfeed it had it down as a suicide...

CozMick

Banned
Achtius said:
We are totally getting owned right now :(

We are fighting on too many fronts, we should just defend North and South America and push either into Europe or Africa (Africa being the better choice), not both. But who knows what other people are doing

Also I deployed just a bit over 80k soldiers, 4-5 more days and I should be able to get the dummy target skin. Started 2 days ago.

At the minute I have troops in North-West Canada and England.

We cannot lose those regions.

mbmonk

patsu said:
Don't worry about MP at the moment. Focus on SP first.

I plan to play through the SP. This is my first Resistance game so I need to familiarize myself with the guns and environment in general.

patsu said:
High level MP players do have significant advantages. If you want, you can play the no-perks + no killstreak mode.

Thanks for the tip. I have heard about lag issues on MP, has that been straighten out? Weird considering this game has dedicated server supposedly.

CozMick

Banned
mbmonk said:
I plan to play through the SP. This is my first Resistance game. So I need to familiarize myself with the guns and environment in general.

Thanks for the tip. I have heard about lag issues on MP, has that been straighten out? Weird considering this game has dedicated server supposedly.

The lag is largely reduced from launch day, you do get the odd stutter but apart from that smooth as silk.

In fact earlier I was in a game entirely made up of Japanese players (i'm in the UK) and no lag whatsoever.

Achtius

CozMick said:
At the minute I have troops in North-West Canada and England.

We cannot lose those regions.

I am just stockpiling bombs and bunker buster to nuke Alaskan Reach/Iceland/Berling Bridge/Zealand before the round ends in order to save whichever is possible.

patsu

mbmonk said:

Not yet. Perhaps sometime this week. Fix is with Sony QA now, hopefully it doesn't bounce back.

The beta had some lag, but they fixed it at some point. Game was fun and kinda hectic without the lag of course.

lowrider007 said:
Better than R1?, how can people say this?, people need to play through RFoM again, see the environments, there's so much information in the details in R1, the crawlers creeping over the quaint English countryside picking up the dead, the conversion centres, the excavation site, the narration, the architecture, the pallet, the sombre atmosphere, R1 is an artistic master piece, I've played RFoM recently again, so no rose tinted glasses here, and architecturally speaking it owns R3, also Resistance RFoM felt like a PC game on a console, I presume being that R1 was started so early in the PS3's life cycle that this had a part to play in that, it wouldn't surprise if they didn't even have a PS3 dev kit when they started making RFoM but I think that was to the games advantage in the end as it shaped how the game felt.

I agree with EVERYTHING you've said.

CozMick

Banned
Achtius said:
I am just stockpiling bombs and bunker buster to nuke Alaskan Reach/Iceland/Berling Bridge/Zealand before the round ends in order to save whichever is possible.

What made the Chimera attack Alaska is beyond me, they have balls :lol

I've currently deployed 71,000 in just under 2 days so the 260k mark is getting closer and I hear we have until December until the game is pulled.

I just hope we win a war before then to get the Malikov skin :)

Achtius

CozMick said:
What made the Chimera attack Alaska is beyond me, they have balls :lol

I've currently deployed 71,000 in just under 2 days so the 260k mark is getting closer and I hear we have until December until the game is pulled.

I just hope we win a war before then to get the Malikov skin :)

Yeah =/

Anyone know who won the last 8 wars? Also I don't know how Chimera pushed as so badly the last two days.

dalin80

Banned
dark10x said:
Is there ANY chance of further optimization to this game? I'm really enjoying it, but man, the framerate is so incredibly poor. I'm completely stunned that Insomniac found it acceptable to release this game with such a low framerate.

Unless you are just looking for a tag quote I have no idea what your talking about, have finished the game twice and only noticed one solitary frame rate judder when I use a whole batch of explosives at a large group of enemies.

patsu

R1 and R3 have very different style. R1 is minimalist, R3 is more atmospheric with lotsa effects. R1 has zero civilians. R3 tells a better "Fall of Man" story and mood. R1 is sharp but misty in a nice way. R3 is blurry/dreamy like KZ2.

I like R3's approach better.

Gameplay wise, they share similar roots in SP. In MP, RFOM is bigger, "cleaner" and more fair. I <3 RFOM MP.

lowrider007 said:

Yup. This.

People need to go back and play RfoM. That game was so under appreciated when it came out, and holds up remarkably well.

R3 is a big improvement over R2, but it still is not in the league R1 is. Just the sheer amount of variety in tackling large battles was amazing, and large open arenas/environments. R3 still has a little too much of that corridor COD gameplay, although thankfully it is not as bad as R2.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just played with the Move; the implementation is pretty good. As good as Killzone 3 in fact.

Btw TTP, can you give me the deadzone settings for this game?

CozMick

Banned
Achtius said:
Thanks for the link.

lol what: War Machine - Deploy a total of 10,000,000 troops: Unlocks "Soldier of Fortune" title.

Also where do u vote for global objective (Voter - Vote in one Global objective: Unlocks Chimera concept art.)

Yeah, I'd like to know that too :\

As for the 10,000,000 troops title

.................................................................................. :|

Pikma

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Also I got 2 completely random suicides on it. One I can't even describe, I have no idea what happened, but the second, I was huddling next to a wall, crouched, so I could regain health. About a second after my health started to regen I died and on the killfeed it had it down as a suicide...

I've been encountering this since the beta, and you are the first person I read that has experienced it too, I knew I wasn't crazy! :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dalin80 said:
Unless you are just looking for a tag quote I have no idea what your talking about, have finished the game twice and only noticed one solitary frame rate judder when I use a whole batch of explosives at a large group of enemies.
You mustn't be particularly sensitive to framerate issues, then, as there are entire levels that barely even hit 30 fps. The entire "Ravenholm"-like area, for instance, was constantly running under 30 fps. It was downright choppy during certain sequences. The game rarely ever holds a steady framerate. At any point, simply turning around will result in at least a small drop. Once the hoards come, though, it really falls hard.

I briefly tested 480p yesterday and that seemed as if it might have helped a bit, but I'll have to do more testing. It really doesn't look that much worse in 480p, oddly enough.

There were simply too many times where playing the game reminded me of the original Shadow of the Colossus in terms of performance. I've only made it to the prison, but thus far, that is the smoothest area in the game. Nearly every other chapter before that was filled with slowdown.

After experiencing Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2+3, though, this is a let down. Those games held 30 fps almost the entire time. Uncharted 3 seems just as smooth and steady as the second game. They also run at a much higher resolution with anti-aliasing.

Resistance 3 DOES look very nice, but I feel as if they just couldn't quite pull off what they wanted to and push the engine harder than they should. Throwing mobs of enemies at the player seems cool, but when it results in sharp dips in performance, perhaps a different approach would have been more appropriate.

Raoh

I'm holding down the Bering Bridge, dropping bombs, bunker busters and working on disabling enemy shields before my next bomb strike.

Splitting bombs over at Venezuelan Stretch.

Should we have a thread just for Global Resistance? I don't think people expected this to be as popular is it is.

darkwing

Raoh said:
I'm holding down the Bering Bridge, dropping bombs, bunker busters and working on disabling enemy shields before my next bomb strike.

Splitting bombs over at Venezuelan Stretch.

Should we have a thread just for Global Resistance? I don't think people expected this to be as popular is it is.

yeah i'm addicted to it :|

Top Bottom