• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So enemy re-spawning...., how common is it in the game?, I found it hard to judge at points whether I should dig my heals in or go in guns blazing, there was a couple of points where when I was hanging back I was losing so much ammo from various guns in my arsenal,
(particularly in the underground with the Grims chasing you)
that I was forced to move forward, anyone else notice that?

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
So enemy re-spawning...., how common is it in the game?, I found it hard to judge at points wheather I should dig my heals in or go in guns blazing, there was a couple of points where when I was hanging back I was losing so much ammo from various guns in my arsenal,

In such circumstances, normally the answer for me, was using not my favourite weapon, the shot-gun, but the most effective or most powerful weapon. Playing difficult, I didn't notice any infinite respawning. Normally, I just killed everyone, then moved on.

darkwing said:
I thought I was lost and was in the spoiler thread

you mean the one that doesn't exist? honestly it's not that big of a deal with the /spoiler. Anyway I won't ask again, great game, looks very very fun :)

Ashes

Banned
scorpscarx said:
you mean the one that doesn't exist? honestly it's not that big of a deal with the /spoiler. Anyway I won't ask again, great game, looks very very fun :)

I've had the game spoiled several times over. Although after a while, I didn't even care... I'm not sure I would be the same if I were a mod. Blood baths would occur. :p

Cheech

Ashes1396 said:
In such circumstances, normally the answer for me, was using not my favourite weapon, the shot-gun, but the most effective or most powerful weapon. Playing difficult, I didn't notice any infinite respawning. Normally, I just killed everyone, then moved on.

Yeah, I'm on a really late chapter, and I don't think there are infinite respawns in this game at all. Thank God. The game is tough enough in sections without it.

leng jai

Just finished the game on normal.

Overall I enjoyed it, a very solid experience. A significant improvement over the previous entries - it really felt like Insomniac made a conscious effort to rectify the flaws of it's earlier work.

Graphics: The situation here is akin to what we had with Alan Wake. Woefully blurry graphics thanks to the sub-HD resolution. I would say its worse than Alan Wake, since most of that game occurred at night which went some way to mask the resolution deficiency. Theres no question Insomniac should have done better on a technical level, theres no reason this needs to be sub-HD if games like Uncharted/Killzone aren't. On the plus side no screen tearing that I could see. The art direction is fantastic, at least in the first third of the game. The weather effects - especially the wind were the highlight for me. It looked fantastic and aided in the atmosphere immensely. Lighting is generally great and the lens flare from the sniper sight was neat. I have to agree with what others have said about the character models. Apart from the main characters, they were appalling. Framerate is pretty solid from what I could gather, only dropping slightly during shitstorms.

Atmosphere: They nailed this pretty well. I couldn't help but be reminded of War of the Worlds during the campaign. The washed out color palette, the drop ships, the seemingly random horn sound effect and of course the wind effects all contributed to the vibe. While the game is not scary in the slightest, there was a prevalent sense of dread which I've never felt in other Resistance games.Half Life 2 has been mentioned too which I guess is a reference to the very Ravenholme-esque level in the middle of the campaign.

Audio: Insomniac really outdid themselves here, especially when you compare it to previous installments. The sound design is very aggressive most of the time especially in the bass. Most guns sound satisfying and the variety of actual sounds is a far cry from the generic crap we were served up in the previous two games. The soundtrack is also far better, it actually sounds unique this time and definitely something you can attribute to Resistance in future listens. There did seem to be a slight audio delay at times which is hopefully addressed in a patch.

Gameplay: The quality varied here depending on which part of the campaign you're playing. The put it plainly, any section with grims in it flat out sucked. I don't know why developers feel compelled to spam you with one type of enemy for extended periods of time ala Uncharted and Farcry. Early battle encounters are fantastic and open to your own interpretation on how to approach them. The level design is consistently good in the first half of the game. The weapons are all a blast to use - the secondary on the atomiser is great. Gunplay is a big step up for Insomniac. All the weapons feel meatier and enemies actually give some indication they are being shot. I do feel like Insomniac got lazy towards the end of the game and just decided to throw you with more and more Chimera to the point where it felt like spam. They also seemed to overuse the 'defend this point' scenario. The AI is generally pretty stupid but at least they die pretty easily so its not that noticeable.

Story: Not much to say here - does much even really happen in the second half of the time? Ending was abrupt and not satisfying at all.

8/10 for the singeplayer.

JB1981

lowrider007 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it hard on normal (later levels), I'd like to think that I at least half competent, I actually found RFoM pretty easy on normal, part of me thinks it's becuase of my play style though, mate of mine today said that he found RFoM quite hard which was the opposite for me, like others have said though I think on a second play through it should be easier.
RFOM is much harder due to the, at times, frustrating checkpoint system. If you died you had to repeat large sections over again. This game, like, saves your progress in the middle of a battle and you come back to life with full health

Cudder

lowrider007 said:
So enemy re-spawning...., how common is it in the game?, I found it hard to judge at points whether I should dig my heals in or go in guns blazing, there was a couple of points where when I was hanging back I was losing so much ammo from various guns in my arsenal,
Enemies don't respawn, the way it should be.

Ashes

Banned
chubigans said:
I wont be able to game it up for a few months as our house is getting some work done, but as soon as I can I'm buying this game thanks to all the positive GAF impressions.

Kudos to JS and the Insomniac team for delivering what seems to be a return to awesome.

Also, tanod! Good to cya again! :D

chubigans said:
Alright, bought and installing. Woo!

:p

Raoh

Anyone else playing myresistance.net in between online matches?

Addicted.. An Resistance RTS game would be very welcomed right about now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished. Very solid experience. I kind of tripped out when I met Colonel Campbell halfway through the game. :D 8/10

Cudder

lowrider007 said:
Are you sure?, I hope that's true becuase that would be awesome.
I'm 99% sure you can clear out enemies in every area. There may be a few areas im not sure of just because the game wants you to run instead of stay and fight, but I'm pretty sure.

leng jai

There was one instance in the last chapter where a group of chimera literally just appeared right in front of me. Only one time though.

Ashes

Banned
Cudder said:
I'm 99% sure you can clear out enemies in every area. There may be a few areas im not sure of just because the game wants you to run instead of stay and fight, but I'm pretty sure.

Same.

Kurod

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Finished. Very solid experience. I kind of tripped out when I met Colonel Campbell halfway through the game. :D 8/10

Funny thing about that
You could sneak through most of the areas to get to the drones and, aside from the mutator, you had to procure your weapons on site.

Effect

Another game down this weekend. Finished up the single player this evening. I enjoyed the ending. Total time played was around 7 hours and 20 something minutes. Half-way through the game I changed it from normal to casual as I switched from the Move controls to the dual analog. Got comfortable enough with the dual analog I could have switched it back but didn't feel the need. My time might have been even longer as I'm sure I most likely would have die some more.

I'm still not crazy about the MP. Chain Reaction maps end far to quickly. It's to easy for one side to simply steamroll the other somehow. Matches have ended in less then 2 minutes. It's not like one side isn't trying either. I've been in matches that by the time my side has gotten to the middle control point it's already captured and they other side already on to our second. In team deathmatch it seems far to easy to trap one side in one location and the sometimes you get spawned right back into that location or far to close to it.

What are the odds there are hacks in this game? I thought PSN was suppose to have fixed that? I've run in a handful of players who either have be insanely skilled or something else is going on. To the point they have the most kills in the match and no one else breaks out of the teens. Some shooting through walls with normal guns and the kill cam showing where they were with the gun clearly sticking out of the walls or in a location they couldn't have possibly killed me with the gun they were using but it shows up they were using that weapon.

Ashes

Banned
Game completetion stat is just for a speedrun. I measured my self in real time as well. It was off by a couple of hours. Although, I did play on hard.

aristotle

We need more humans fighting for our cause on myresistance.net! You'll unlock stuff in R3. Common man. You know you want to.

For actual reference, I've unlocked everything in R3 in less than a week except for the MP dummy skin (267k troops deployed) and Malikov (win a war, not a round). Those will be won in the next week I hope. Come on guys!

patsu

Pikma said:
That's it, I'm jumping off the MP boat until they fix the lag/bugs, more time to finish the campaign I guess. :)

That's what I do.

Hop on once in about 3 days to play a little, but will only do long run after Insomniac releases the patch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, some of the visuals are just insane. This particular area, in motion, is really striking. The way the rain drops appear when you look into them is unlike any other game I've seen.

Snapped with my phone using the HDR mode (in order to avoid blowing out the image). Looks richer in person.

Still, all of the scenery is so richly detailed and well lit. It's on a completely different level than their work in R1 and R2. Those games were so basic and plain by comparison.

r3-1.jpg

Only downside is the crushingly poor framerate. Some areas, such as the Ravenholm like area, are damn near Shadow of the Colossus level.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ashes1396 said:
I couldn't wait. The workers won't be here till the end of the week so I can get through this.

Anyways, the atmosphere so far is fantastic. Absolutely incredible. Love the gunplay as well, sans that annoying boat level. :p

Great stuff so far.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I thought the Boat level fitted well, I wasn't really a fan of it as a demo but in the context of the game and story It worked imo, for some reason it gave me a HL2 vibe, connecting me to the journey.

Ashes

Banned
chubigans said:
I couldn't wait. The workers won't be here till the end of the week so I can get through this.

Anyways, the atmosphere so far is fantastic. Absolutely incredible. Love the gunplay as well, sans that annoying boat level. :p

Great stuff so far.

Turn the music up. The OST is awesome, and on that demo level, you have the two best tracks. Once, when the radio plays, and the second, a little towards the end of that scene.

I only say this so that you notice it.... :p

yencid

I will say one thing about this game. DAT COTDAMN LIGHTING. its fucking beautiful! the most satisfying thing so far in this game is using the Atomizer underground/in caves/anywhere that is dark. its so fucking beautiful!

T-0800

Beautiful looking and sounding game. One of the best if not....nah don't want to go there just yet. Certainly up there.

5 chapters to go.

I'm not going to try MP until I've finished the campaign. Hopefully by then they have patched all the issues. Not liking the fact though that there has been a gig of updates already.

Sad to see the online issues have spilled over to Ratchet All 4 One. That game is unplayable online at the moment.

T-0800

alr1ghtstart said:

Read this earlier and thought 'what?'. Then I got up to that bit.

Loudninja

Is it me or is Chapter 5 way more intense than the demo?Love it!

Also the dairies are so well done,I which I can read all the weapon manuals though.

Edit:Chapter 6 is really good so far, man it like a different world now.

leng jai

Replaying on casual now to upgrade all the weapons - really feels like the first half of the game is several notches better than the second.

CozMick

Banned
Goddamn I'm a fucking beast with the Rossman w/ Flame rounds. :p

Seems kinda OP, but then again it's absolutely bloody useless at mid range so I suppose that balances things out :)

Top Bottom