• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

noonche

dark10x said:
I'm going to have to do some more testing. Watched a walk through for the final section of chapter 10 and chapter 11 and the framerate seemed smoother (though certainly not perfect) than what I encountered. The fight with that gun ship on the bridge near the end of chapter 10 was a slide show for me when the battle heated up.

It might be a mix of mild slowdown with unresponsive controls? It just feels incredibly sluggish and laggy when the framerate dives.

Going to try comparing 480p with the default resolution as well as that DID seem to run a bit smoother. I don't see how it could be my console, but you never know.

I'm curious what you mean by slideshow? Sub 20? Sub 10?

Just played a few rounds on Teraformer...Definitely DID NOT enjoy it. Unfortunately I think I'm done with R3. I'm a big fan of the universe but there's just so much stuff coming out right now I don't think I'm going to pour a lot of time into multiplayer. That and I was pretty disappointed with the ending of the campaign. On top of it possibly going to a different developer I don't really know where the franchise is going. Don't really feel compelled to play through the campaign again for that reason.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
alske said:
I'm curious what you mean by slideshow? Sub 20? Sub 10?
15-20 fps. Technically playable, but in 2011, I can't really deal with it.

Perhaps another case of mistaken frame rate ala Pac-Man CE DX II? :p

I dunno man, something may be wrong with your PS3, I'm not getting that much slow down *shrug*. Maybe test some other games and see what's up?
That was no mistake. The first time I ran Pac-man CE DX it was definitely 30 fps (in the demo). After that, it was always 60 fps.

I've seen this phenomenon on other PS3s as well. I loaded up Scott Pilgrim on a friends system and it was 30 fps (which resulted in the game running at half-speed rather than simply appearing choppy). Restarting the game cleared it up.

With Resistance 3, however, I've played a good 4-5 sessions so it's not like I started it up once and played. I've restarted it several times. It's not always bad, though. Some areas are much worse than others. That bridge scene was definitely the low point, however.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
It might be a mix of mild slowdown with unresponsive controls? It just feels incredibly sluggish and laggy when the framerate dives.
i can't say it dove down for me yet so much that I'd find it annoying but I'm almost 100% sure that you're right when you say that there is a mild slowdown when the framerate drops. Or at least a mild slowdown in camera movement or something.

Anyone can try this easily - just start the game and in the very first room, stand right in front of one of the oil lamps in the room, as close to it as possible, then try moving the camera around. You'll notice that as soon as the lamp comes into view, the framerate will drop slightly, and I'm almost sure camera will start moving a bit slower too. I'm pretty sure same thing happens anywhere in the game when there's frame drop situation.

Grisby said:
By far my favorite gun was the shotgun. Insomniac finally made the shotgun awesome and the upgrade is pure cheesecake.

I personally love the Marksmen. Hated the Bullseye in R2, but in R3 it just looks really awesome when you aim. Deadeye also very lovely.
But the real winner is the return of the weapon wheel so you can decide yourself how to kill em.

Achtius

Desmond said:
Just saw that the UK and Ireland are called Great Britain in GR. FUUUUUUUUU

South China Island isn't even part of China, China doesn't exist and is just call ____ Asia, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manibota is the only (Old) Canada that is left, Japan isn't even on the map.

Alternative history map is alternative

noonche

dark10x said:

With Resistance 3, however, I've played a good 4-5 sessions so it's not like I started it up once and played. I've restarted it several times. It's not always bad, though. Some areas are much worse than others. That bridge scene was definitely the low point, however.

To be clear, I worked on the game.

Well... the first thing that comes to mind is spending too much time reading from disc you don't happen to have a non-standard HDD or one that might be dying?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I don't remember the game hitting sub 20's, I think I may of saw it a couple of times for quite literary a second or two during say blowing up a massive group of grims at close range with the wildfire but apart from that the games frame rate seem quite 'adequate'

Desmond

Achtius said:
South China Island isn't even part of China, China doesn't exist and is just call ____ Asia, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manibota is the only (Old) Canada that is left, Japan isn't even on the map.

Alternative history map is alternative
I know, just thought it was weird that the used a geographical term (for the right island) over the UK or some made up term.

dark10x said:
Man, I'm confused then, as the framerate was dropping into very low territory quite often for me.

The mission where you're sent to rescue the religious man "John" in particular stands out to me. The entire level was filled with slowdown and framerates well under 30 fps. It was almost frustrating to play that section due to the poor framerate.

How people didn't notice this is beyond me.

"Rock solid" is the last thing I'd use to describe the performance in this game.

Must be faulty hardware, because having completed the game, I didnt see any such framerate drops.

Ashes

Banned
is this like lag or something? Never felt a real framedrop in the game.. Reviewers haven't mentioned it; people who don't even like the game, haven't mentioned that flaw... Perhaps wait for digital foundary?

Man

Yeah, framerate was steady.

Alske: Was sub-HD planned from the beginning to allow for all the high-end effects and detailed sprite animations?

I'll post my full impressions of the game at a later time, but this is most definitely the best game Insomniac has ever made.

That extra development time that Insomniac got for Resistance 3 really paid off! The most important thing about Resistance 3 that Insomniac absolutely nailed is that the game is pure...

FUN!

Just swapping between weapons and trying out different strategies and combinations and then absolutely destroying a platoon of Chimeran infantry is not only immensely satisfying, but remarkably fun. The quality leap between Resistance 2 and Resistance 3 is just mystifying. I enjoyed Resistance 2 (it had a fair share of ups and downs), but Resistance 3 is just one of the most well made, highly polished, intelligent and most all FUN games I've played in a long time. I also give praise to the reduction in scope for the game; it seemed to have really helped the team kind of focus more of the quality as opposed to pushing the boundaries. Kudos to the team!

Hey, James Stevenson? Make sure that the team knows that they crafted one of the most fun games I've ever played! Great job, Insomniac!

Although I really want to play co-op with someone not on my friend list... 'cause only one person has it and he most definitely isn't ready to tackle Superhuman with me. Sad panda...

Rising_Hei

I just got my review copy and started playing it, but... but... it doesn't have network pass ;; time to expend 10 € i guess :p

From what i saw i can tell that the graphics are nice and very detailed, but they'd be much better with HD,

pelican

/dogmanstar SMASH!

Just installed my Special Edition R3 only for it to fuck up my PS3 system.

Downloaded the patch with no problem, and then the game started to install onto my hdd. Unfortunately it decided to hang while installing the trophies. Which required me to do a hard reboot of my PS3.

On restarting the machine and loading R3 I was welcomed by a black screen and a system hang. In the end the data was corrupted and I was unable to delete it which brings me to the annoying part - having to format my 320 slim and lose all my shit.

Luckily for Insomniac my Mass Effect 2 save is nice and safe on the PS Plus cloud server so I won't be jumping on the first plane from the UK to Insomniac HQ with a pitchfork.

/fingers crossed this installation doesn't hang.

Man

I cursed out wildly when using the
Atomizer
for the first time.
Best. Lighting. Anything.

edit: Damn. I'm really in love with the Resistance 3 SP even after finishing it days ago. Great time.

pelican

Calibur said:
I was looking to buy R3 but GAME are selling it for £42.99 (with the PSN Pass) is abit much, is it worth that price?

Its 40 quid in Game in my town. 45 for the steel tin special edition.

Maybe they price matching HMV or sommin.

Kak.efes

Mutator is by far the most impressive gun. You shoot someone, take cover, enter the room after thirty seconds and walk passed several exploding green globules on the ground.

Feels good, man.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
dogmanstaruk said:
/dogmanstar SMASH!

Downloaded the patch with no problem, and then the game started to install onto my hdd. Unfortunately it decided to hang while installing the trophies. Which required me to do a hard reboot of my PS3.

On restarting the machine and loading R3 I was welcomed by a black screen and a system hang. In the end the data was corrupted and I was unable to delete it which brings me to the annoying part - having to format my 320 slim and lose all my shit.

Luckily for Insomniac my Mass Effect 2 save is nice and safe on the PS Plus cloud server so I won't be jumping on the first plane from the UK to Insomniac HQ with a pitchfork.

Same thing happened to me, just not as extreme. Was still able to access the xmb so I transferred the save data I could to an sd card D:

Man

Loudninja said:
The carbine always will have a special place in my heart! still a great weapon.
I liked that you actually
don't get it before later in the game
. How the moment felt:

1284855634941.jpg

gcubed

Yeah, I'm not the best at frame rate monitoring, but I feel like I can tell if it drops down to sub 20fps, I dont remember this game doing that.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Achtius said:
Help contribute Bunker Buster in GR!

I am!
I contributed one

Right now I am spending all my cash on Crafters and upgrades for the conversion centers / hives. I only have 577 units of bio :(

dark10x

alske said:
To be clear, I worked on the game.

Well... the first thing that comes to mind is spending too much time reading from disc you don't happen to have a non-standard HDD or one that might be dying?
You'd think, but standing in place and rotating the camera sees slowdown occurring consistently when looking in certain directions. If it were disc reading problems it would let up, wouldn't it?

Right at the very start of the game, when you look around, you can see framerate dips. Nothing significant, but to slowdown in such a small scale scene is surprising.

I'll try the game on another PS3 when I get a chance. I'm running a fairly recent PS3 slim after my 60gb launch unit failed.

Loudninja

Got 30 kills with a level one carbine I did better than other higher level people :p

Edit: The lag was bad in the matches I played, cant wait for the patch :)

Looking for some gaffers to play some coop campaign with. I'm around the St.Louis area after meeting the local resistance squad.

PSN name: CelticKennedy

Hulud

I don't think I ever saw the game hit less than 20 FPS, but the people or person saying that the framerate is "steady" either has a magical PS3 or does not know what framerate dips look like.

Game is a lot more fun than the little bit of R2 I played, though. Killing enemies feels very satisfying.

EagleEyes

dogmanstaruk said:
/dogmanstar SMASH!

Same thing happened to me as well. I still have not been able to get to chapter 6 without it hanging on a black screen. :(

Finished it today and am pleasantly surprised with the campaign. Started on hard right away with the Move and while KZ3 had a slightly better feel to it, I found the implementation to be solid enough (ADS needs some work though).
In terms of story and locations it seems that they took a good long lookat R1 and went with all parts that worked well. I really enjoyed the last chapters for that very reason.
But above all, the music really got me. While the visuals are impressive here and there, the music literally had me stop from time to time and listen to it.
I really hope that the franchise keeps on in one way. It would really be a shame if that universe wouldn't be used further - meaning that I want all the open questions answered.

dalin80

Banned
dark10x said:

That was no mistake. The first time I ran Pac-man CE DX it was definitely 30 fps (in the demo). After that, it was always 60 fps.

I've seen this phenomenon on other PS3s as well. I loaded up Scott Pilgrim on a friends system and it was 30 fps (which resulted in the game running at half-speed rather than simply appearing choppy). Restarting the game cleared it up.

Iam going to say that something is broke at your end, with the sheer amount of irrational hate the resistance series gets if the frame rate was that bad it would have been jumped on by everyone with a axe to grind by now.

I had one moment of slowdown when detonating about a dozen explosives at once and the rest was lovely and smooth.

Himself

I just encountered a bug that may affect my Superhuman run trophy, which would piss me off. I was in
PA just before the bridge where you pick up the Wildfire
and a black screen pops up saying something along the lines of "Congratulations! You have beat the game on difficult, you can now play Superhuman!" But I've been playing on Superhuman the entire second run. Is the game not registering it? Has anyone else encountered this? Did they still get the Superhuman trophy?

dark10x

dalin80 said:
Iam going to say that something is broke at your end, with the sheer amount of irrational hate the resistance series gets if the frame rate was that bad it would have been jumped on by everyone with a axe to grind by now.

I had one moment of slowdown when detonating about a dozen explosives at once and the rest was lovely and smooth.
Well, videos prove that it isn't always smooth so it's not just me. That said, I'm still in the process of determining if things are worse than they should be on my end.

You're telling me the fight with the gun ship on the bridge was a solid 30 fps for you? I don't know if I buy that.

Himself

You know what's awesome?
When you are in the elevator in the mines and you blow up that last acetylene container in Satan's mouth and the explosion is in slo-mo. That's awesome. Also the fact that there's an enemy and a chapter named "Satan".

Question: If you look on the back of the case, (BEWARE! BACK OF THE CASE SPOIELRS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T LOOKED AT IT YET) there is a screenshot in the upper left corner of Joe firing at some gigantic looking Chimeran beast thing that I don't really remember ever coming across in the game. What's the deal?

aristotle

Himself said:
You know what's awesome?
When you are in the elevator in the mines and you blow up that last acetylene container in Satan's mouth and the explosion is in slo-mo. That's awesome. Also the fact that there's an enemy and a chapter named "Satan".

Question: If you look on the back of the case, (BEWARE! BACK OF THE CASE SPOIELRS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T LOOKED AT IT YET) there is a screenshot in the upper left corner of Joe firing at some gigantic looking Chimeran beast thing that I don't really remember ever coming across in the game. What's the deal?

Widowmaker.

dalin80

Banned
dark10x said:
You're telling me the fight with the gun ship on the bridge was a solid 30 fps for you? I don't know if I buy that.

All I can say is that I cant recall any slowdown/stuttering/tearing etc there which simply means I didnt notice any, iam not saying there definetly wasnt any but if there was it wasnt enough to distract me from the gameplay.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
dark10x said:
Well, videos prove that it isn't always smooth so it's not just me. That said, I'm still in the process of determining if things are worse than they should be on my end.

who gives a shit.

Raonak

Banned
Anyone else feel that the carbine was underpowered? (in SP) feels weak compared to the other guns. I haven't upgraded it yet which might be the problem.
Mainly just use it for secondary fire.

Top Bottom