• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Paz

darkwing said:
i have an R3 region game, used an R3 account, played on my main R1 account, profit! the online pass is for the whole PS3 unit, not the user account

Is there an easy guide for creating an R3 account?

Ashes

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
I'd sacrifice them for cutscenes that weren't compressed into ugliness. Bluray, exclusive... poor show.

Cutscenes look awesome to me.

Anyways, I was going to sell this game for gears next week. Finished it; loved it. I have this funny feeling, I'm going to buy again, once cheap.

But my sister saw a tv advert and wanted to play. She's not really a gamer; the only other game she plays is COD, and only on co-op.

So we played on co-op. There are black bars like people said; urgh... but apart from that playing this game on the living room plasma (for the full playthrough this time); this game is so beautiful...

We are playing on hard, and we are dying quite a bit; still getting through the levels quite quickly. Pressing triangle, doesn't pause the game is putting me off my game. :p

My sister says the fights look like we're playing in real time; no really sure what she means.

I have a new found love for this game; playing on co-op. The levels are bigger than one thinks; lots of little places, that I totally missed the first time. Even houses with separate rooms!

We played for 2 hours, because I wanted to rest; the 'casual' player wanted to play even more! she thinks we've only been playing for a bit... we played for 2 whole hours!

jackb2424

Banned
I got the chance to play this game last night and holy shit did Insomniac knock this out of the park. The opening cinematic got my heart pumping and got me ready for the brilliance I was about to experience. Not only was the first hour incredible but I also played this in 3d and it sent me over the edge. I hope 3d lasts forever, its so immersive that I felt like I was actually in the game. There is one particular part where I was looking out a crack in the windows and chimera were walking by with a stalker in the background. The 3d during this part took my breath away. I felt scared, and small because of the 3d sense of depth. It was a feeling I haven't experienced in a video game ever. R3 is absolutely gorgeous. The atmosphere is just so gritty and real. It maintains that sci fi feel without coming off as corny and bland. It really feels like all hope is lost. I knew R3 was gonna be good but I didn't think it would be in the running for my personal game of the year. Its definitely a contender. Well done JS and crew, well done.

MrPliskin

Banned
Paz said:
Kind of annoyed right now, it seems that the PSN pass codes are region locked and I can't use my game code on my accounts region....

May be worth adding to the OP, to warn people that you need to match your purchase region to your PSN account region or no multiplayer for you.

I've emailed Sony so we'll see what they say.
You can create an account for that region, activate it, then log into your account and you should be fine. It's system wide, not tied to an account.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ashes1396 said:
Cutscenes look awesome to me.
They are OK, but could be better. Lots of macroblocking on flat color surfaces. I too would gladly trade all those demos for a better encode. In any case, they are far better than the encoding atrocities found in most multiplat games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I spent some additional time looking into the framerate issues and I've found that most of the stages run reasonably well. Slowdown is occurring fairly often, but not to the degree found in a few specific levels.

What's making the issue seem worse, however, is the sticky cursor. The implementation of a sticky cursor here, when combined with slowdown, results in some very jerky panning. If you look in the direction of enemies and are met with both a sticky cursor and a lower framerate, the game ends up feeling very sluggish. It's really just the combination of all issues that make for a less than smooth feeling experience.

Chapter 11 felt particularly bad due to an overall low average framerate (near constant drops below 30 fps) combined with a high number of enemies (lots of sticky cursor action). I realize that aim correction is necessary with a pad, but I can't recall another recent shooter with such a jarring hitch while moving across targets. It doesn't feel too bad when the framerate is running at a solid 30 fps, but more often than not, it's dropping during battle so it ends up feeling much worse.

Still, from Chapter 12 onward, the framerate has been much more reasonable, though still far from great. Really, it feels similar to Halo 3, which never really ran all that well and had constant hitching during many sections. Coming from the buttery smooth goodness of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2/3, this feels pretty bad.

MrPliskin

Banned
dark10x said:
I spent some additional time looking into the framerate issues and I've found that most of the stages run reasonably well. Slowdown is occurring fairly often, but not to the degree found in a few specific levels.

What's making the issue seem worse, however, is the sticky cursor. The implementation of a sticky cursor here, when combined with slowdown, results in some very jerky panning. If you look in the direction of enemies and are met with both a sticky cursor and a lower framerate, the game ends up feeling very sluggish. It's really just the combination of all issues that make for a less than smooth feeling experience.

Chapter 11 felt particularly bad due to an overall low average framerate (near constant drops below 30 fps) combined with a high number of enemies (lots of sticky cursor action). I realize that aim correction is necessary with a pad, but I can't recall another recent shooter with such a jarring hitch while moving across targets. It doesn't feel too bad when the framerate is running at a solid 30 fps, but more often than not, it's dropping during battle so it ends up feeling much worse.

Still, from Chapter 12 onward, the framerate has been much more reasonable, though still far from great. Really, it feels similar to Halo 3, which never really ran all that well and had constant hitching during many sections. Coming from the buttery smooth goodness of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2/3, this feels pretty bad.
Killzone 3 is far worse for frame rate, I'm genuinely confused, lol. Glad you gave it a second look.

You bring up sticky aim, and my only thought on that is: Why in the hell in 2011 is there STILL not an option to turn this trash off!? Makes MP feel like poop when it kicks in.

Ashes

Banned
Honestly, at this point, you're gonna need proof. I'm just not seeing it. And I'm looking for it.

Edit: Kz2 frames were not 'buttery smooth' for me...

BeeDog

MrPliskin said:
Killzone 3 is far worse for frame rate, I'm genuinely confused, lol. Glad you gave it a second look.

You bring up sticky aim, and my only thought on that is: Why in the hell in 2011 is there STILL not an option to turn this trash off!? Makes MP feel like poop when it kicks in.

From what I can remember, KZ3's singleplayer runs and looks better than R3's singleplayer, but the KZ3 MP runs shittily with more players.

dark10x

Ashes1396 said:
Honestly, at this point, you're gonna need proof. I'm just not seeing it. And I'm looking for it.

Edit: Kz2 frames were not 'buttery smooth' for me...
I'm not trying to prove anything, though. I'm simply commenting on the fact that the low framerate was hurting my experience. Killzone 2 in single player (which is what I'm judging) runs MUCH smoother than Resistance 3. Slow down is isolated and infrequent.

Killzone 3 isn't as smooth as KZ2, but it's still pretty solid and much smoother than Resistance 3. Again, I speak only of single player as I typically do not play multiplayer games.

MrPliskin said:
You can create an account for that region, activate it, then log into your account and you should be fine. It's system wide, not tied to an account.
You know this shit is happening to me too. I bought from Amazon UK, and i can´t play online even though i live in Denmark. It´s all Europe, i don´t know why are they doing this.

Finally my copy arrived this morning. I've
just repelled the assault to the VTOL in St. Louis
and the singleplayer is so good.. The pace of the game is impressive, the weapons are very fun to use and the game has a great atmosphere (how I missed a good FPS campaign without that regenerating health & only 2 weapons shit). And graphically is impressive, all the effects are pretty and the lighting in parts like
the abandoned factory
is beautiful.

I'm playing with Move+Sharpshooter in Hard, and using the ADS isn't very responsive, but if they increase the speed or eliminate the deadzone I would manage without problems (and personally I prefer the fixed reticle). The most annoying thing is the big reticle, my god, and I thought the KZ3 one was distracting..

Played a few online matches, the first one (TDM) had atrocius lag, but the next ones (another TDM and one Capture the flag) were decent. I played in different maps from the Beta and the layouts seemed good, with various paths and zones. I have to try coop.

EDIT BTW, about the online pass discussion, I had the same problem, but like MrPliskin says, you have to make a PSN account with the region of your game copy, and then reedem the Online Pass and you'll have it for the rest of your PS3 accounts.

MrPliskin

Banned
Beam said:
You know this shit is happening to me too. I bought from Amazon UK, and i can´t play online even though i live in Denmark. It´s all Europe, i don´t know why are they doing this.
The PSN passes are just like any other DLC in that they are tied to specific stores for specific countries. You'll have to create a UK acct, but after that everything should be fine.

Ashes

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm not trying to prove anything, though. I'm simply commenting on the fact that the low framerate was hurting my experience. Killzone 2 in single player (which is what I'm judging) runs MUCH smoother than Resistance 3. Slow down is isolated and infrequent.

Killzone 3 isn't as smooth as KZ2, but it's still pretty solid and much smoother than Resistance 3. Again, I speak only of single player as I typically do not play multiplayer games.

Kz3 had some framerate problems though. Digital Foundry, I think noted it as well. Cause honestly, can't see how kz gets praise from you, and this gets done in. don't know what to suggest really.

dark10x

Ashes1396 said:
Kz3 had some framerate problems though. Digital Foundry, I think noted it as well. Cause honestly, can't see how kz gets praise from you, and this gets done in. don't know what to suggest really.
Yes, it had SOME issues, but in general, it was stable. Situations where Resistance 3 runs at a stable 30 fps are quite rare indeed. Even right from the beginning in the very first empty room you run across minor framerate dips despite the complete lack of action and small environment.

If Digital Foundry runs a piece of the final version of R3 I think their results will agree with my own.

Ashes

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, it had SOME issues, but in general, it was stable. Situations where Resistance 3 runs at a stable 30 fps are quite rare indeed. Even right from the beginning in the very first empty room you run across minor framerate dips despite the complete lack of action and small environment.

If Digital Foundry runs a piece of the final version of R3 I think their results will agree with my own.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, but I'd be interested in their take anyway. :p

dark10x

Ashes1396 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then, but I'd be interested in their take anyway. :p
I just watched the video they captured from the earlier demo (which performs similarly to the final game). That sequence isn't one of the slower portions, but it confirms what I've been seeing. When little is happening, the framerate is fairly stable, but it drops nearly every time an enemy is killed near the player. You see it drop to 22-24 fps on a regular basis during combat.

Basically, it seems that the game slows down regularly when an enemy comes within a certain distance of the player and is killed. There are many sections where enemies rush the player, however, so this really begins to feel more severe. I suspect the fast action is preventing a lot of people from noticing this issue, but for someone more sensitive to framerate problems, it tends to hit harder when it occurs during action.

Games like Killzone 3 would slowdown during specific scenes while Resistance 3 seems to slowdown under certain circumstances regardless of the current map.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3?page=2

Watch that video and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It starts off smoothly (for the first minute or so), but you'll notice that nearly every combat situation results in framerate dips.

Massa

BeeDog said:
From what I can remember, KZ3's singleplayer runs and looks better than R3's singleplayer, but the KZ3 MP runs shittily with more players.

KZ3 had some pretty bad issues when it launched but they have improved a lot since then. I barely get into a laggy game these days.

Resistance 3 is unplayable online. I'm anticipating this week's patch like it was the game coming out...

Rolf NB

Man I almost wish I'd have bought this locally. Fingers crossed for Friday, but it could possibly take until next week before I can start playing.

BeeDog

Massa said:
KZ3 had some pretty bad issues when it launched but they have improved a lot since then. I barely get into a laggy game these days.

Resistance 3 is unplayable online. I'm anticipating this week's patch like it was the game coming out...

I wasn't talking about lag, I meant frame drops. Haven't tried R3's MP yet.

BeeDog

Massa said:
I know, but the two go hand in hand in KZ3 for some reason.

That I can agree with, since I also noticed that the framerate keeps dropping even when absolutely nothing happens on screen. Seems the game can't cope with pushing around the players for some reason.

Anyway, back to R3, I agree with dark10x, R3 is generally not smooth, especially during the
Dropship
fight.

jackb2424 said:
I got the chance to play this game last night and holy shit did Insomniac knock this out of the park. The opening cinematic got my heart pumping and got me ready for the brilliance I was about to experience. Not only was the first hour incredible but I also played this in 3d and it sent me over the edge. I hope 3d lasts forever, its so immersive that I felt like I was actually in the game. There is one particular part where I was looking out a crack in the windows and chimera were walking by with a stalker in the background. The 3d during this part took my breath away. I felt scared, and small because of the 3d sense of depth. It was a feeling I haven't experienced in a video game ever. R3 is absolutely gorgeous. The atmosphere is just so gritty and real. It maintains that sci fi feel without coming off as corny and bland. It really feels like all hope is lost. I knew R3 was gonna be good but I didn't think it would be in the running for my personal game of the year. Its definitely a contender. Well done JS and crew, well done.

I'm surprised this didn't get more hate. Liking 3D on this forum is like being cast into a leper colony.

That beign said, I agree with you 100%. I even remember the part you're speaking of with the window and having this same feeling of depth and being small. I'm liking the story 10x better than KZ3, but it makes me want to go back and play that game again in 3D as well. (I didn't have my TV then).

I'm almost done with the game. I should be able to finish tonight. So far it's my most enjoyable SP FP shooter I've played this gen.

Himself

Just got to the point I was dreading all along on Superhuman:
NYC. Coming out of that downed airplane with the huge buildings with the sides blown off and tons of missile snipers. Died like 10 times and decided to give it a rest.

Melchiah

Himself said:
Just got to the point I was dreading all along on Superhuman:
NYC. Coming out of that downed airplane with the huge buildings with the sides blown off and tons of missile snipers. Died like 10 times and decided to give it a rest.

I got fed up with that part on normal, and just sprinted to the next checkpoint.

USF

So gamers like me in Middle East, who bought the game at full price, STILL can't access multiplayer... WTF!? Are they even tryin to do somethin about it!?

Melchiah

Himself said:
I'll be damned...didn't know you could do that.

I got the impression you could do that in some other parts as well. I did it accidentally in the beginning,
where there was a hill with a house on top, and the Chimera were hiding among the plants on the hill.

theBishop

Banned
I only noticed one bad slow down, and it was in chapter 17
snowy
. I used the Atomizer's alt-fire and hedgehog grenade to kill what felt like around 10 Grims.

Wickwire

I was thinking about picking up the Doomsday edition this weekend. Can anyone give me an idea how the Move controls and sharpshooter worked for them in R3? The good? the bad? I want a move to play RE5 and KZ3 so on top of getting r3 Ill have the move covered for those games as well.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Played coop with a friend a few days ago and it was really good. The funny thing was that we had split-screen on my tiny 23 inch monitor and we still enjoyed it for hours. I love coop gaming and Insomniac gave me what I wanted. Keep doing this and I will buy every game you make!

And about that scene
in prison where you fight the boss in the end, or before that when you crashed the train and the guy machetes the poor doctor. You had a chance to build a scene where the emotions could have been Heavy Rain style (doctor house scene), fight like crazy to save the doctor but lose him in the end. Or, fight for the gun in the end that results in the nice endung you had there.
It was a nice idea but fell a little rushed in the end, as it was too quickly over.

Wickwire said:
I was thinking about picking up the Doomsday edition this weekend. Can anyone give me an idea how the Move controls and sharpshooter worked for them in R3? The good? the bad? I want a move to play RE5 and KZ3 so on top of getting r3 Ill have the move covered for those games as well.

You might want to just get the regular edition and then pick up the Move stuff separately. Right now Gamestop is having a 50% sale on a bunch of Move stuff:

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/playstation-move?loc=move_row5_col2

Make sure you get all the pieces (move, nav, eye, sharpshooter), I don't think the PS Eye camera is part of these deals, but everything else is way cheap.

Achtius

Gosh, playing co-op on superhuman difficulty with my brother, and we are getting pwned like hell. Dies a lot of times per level. Way too hard :(

I am going to hate it with a passion in the
grim
level :(

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Am I the only one who feels this game is criminally underrated? It's metacritic is 83, Resistance 2 has a metacritic of 87 and while that had more quantity this game is way more quality (except for the characters). Thoroughly enjoyed this game and it is one of the more atmospheric and fun games of this year.

Top Bottom