• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

george_us

One thing I really like about this game is that there are times when I'll actually get lost. It's nice not to be shuffled from set piece to set piece for a change.

leng jai

I didn't have any real concern with the framerate and I'm usually pretty fussy. Its nowhere near Crysis 2/Reach when it comes to chugging.

zlatko

Banned
Sorry if this was posted before, but how do I go about getting the Nathan Hale SRPA skin for MP? I want to the resistance site and got to level 2 in that one mini game, but I never figured out how to get the skin.

Just beat it. The hardest part is right at the end
sitting
through the cre
dits lmao

Excellent game. One of the best I've played this gen. Those ending areas? Holy shit!

Insomniac, I love you. Seems you can't count though. We have R1 then R3. Now we need R2 =P.

Duffyside

Banned
Wish when you started a new game after beating it once you had ALL your weapons, not just their levels when you finally pick them up again.

Ricky_R

Hey... I'm sure someone who was in the same place I am right now has already asked this question in here, but we all know I would need an Auger to find that bitch.

I just recently
found the religious dude and we took the elevator down looking for the creature.
How far down the game I am?

Mush

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Just beat it. The hardest part is right at the end
sitting
through the cre
dits lmao

Excellent game. One of the best I've played this gen. Those ending areas? Holy shit!

Insomniac, I love you. Seems you can't count though. We have R1 then R3. Now we need R2 =P.
I hope we can still be friends after I sort of spoiled it for you.

And yeah, I sat though the entire credits expecting something to follow afterwards, and nothing happened.

JAMESSSSSSSS!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm kind of stuck... I was flying through the game and I'm pretty sure only died one time on a boss fight due to some jank. Then I get to
NY, NY
and I'm immediately handed my ass repeatedly. This is my fault, no jank... just getting owned.

I'm feeling a little bored of the game and guess I just want to see the end... the
prison
imo was a huge uninteresting misstep that soured me on the campaign, and so instead of challenging, I'm finding the sudden difficulty spike somewhat annoying.

Lol I might not finish this. First half of the game was pretty cool. Second half... eh I don't know.

Mush said:
I hope we can still be friends after I sort of spoiled it for you.

And yeah, I sat though the entire credits expecting something to follow afterwards, and nothing happened.

JAMESSSSSSSS!
Haha no hard feelings. ALTHOUGH... with what you said coupled with other people's reactions, I actually thought
it ended right then after New York. Explosions happen and you come to and see the VTOL waiting for you and I was like "this is IT!?" because of your comment haha
Thankfully, I was wrong and was in for a treat.

Evolved1 said:
I'm kind of stuck... I was flying through the game and I'm pretty sure only died one time on a boss fight due to some jank. Then I get to
NY, NY
and I'm immediately handed my ass repeatedly. This is my fault, no jank... just getting owned.

I'm feeling a little bored of the game and guess I just want to see the end... the
prison
imo was a huge uninteresting misstep that soured me on the campaign, and so instead of challenging, I'm finding the sudden difficulty spike somewhat annoying.

Lol I might not finish this. First half of the game was pretty cool. Second half... eh I don't know.
It's hard there. Do like me and camp. Pick a spot and just pick em off.

If you're in for the story only, switch to easy. That's probably how I'll play whenever I just want to see the story through in the future.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's hard there. Do like me and camp. Pick a spot and just pick em off.

If you're in for the story only, switch to easy. That's probably how I'll play whenever I just want to see the story through in the future.

It feels like they just spawn infinitely... do they? Seems like the waves just keep coming...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Evolved1 said:
It feels like they just spawn infinitely... do they? Seems like the waves just keep coming...

I've asked this before and haven't received a clear answer tbh, I'm halfway through my second play through and intend to see if they do or not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just finished R3 for the first time. On Hard, with Move, took me 6:42 (36 deaths).

Quite an enjoyable ride. Very similar to the first Resistance in terms of level design, especially the second half.

patsu

lowrider007 said:
I've asked this before and haven't received a clear answer tbh, I'm halfway through my second play through and intend to see if they do or not.

Someone from B3D killed everything before moving on. No infinite spawn so he concluded.

Himself

You guys are nuts. The
prison
was amazing. Just got done replaying it and it's so nasty and tense. It shows another side of the effects of the Chimera's presence on our planet. Plus that
whole fight in the hangar area taking down the dropship
was bananas. Y'all trippin.

aristotle

So I just added up the "rewards/extras" you can buy. 1885 points/credits are needed to unlock everything except for the multiplayer titles. The bad thing is, you need to level up past 60 (top rank) in MP to unlock everything.

WTF is this Insomniac? Looks like I won't ever unlock everything.

Finished it today and really loved it. Felt like the proper sequel to the original game and delivered all the way though. Really appreciated the return of the weapon wheel, liked the health system way more than R2's, and hope more devs take note of the upgrading weapons. I thought the ending was pretty short but the lead up was very well done.

An issue though, the game data isn't deleting. I rented the game and I'm trying to clear up some space, but every time I try it just sticks on the "deleting..." screen until I reset the console. I've been sitting here for ten minutes now and it's still not budging.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gcubed said:
I found hard to be relatively easy, but I agree with
the prison, was easily my least favorite part of the game

I loved it instead. That was probably the part I liked the most.

tch

Man. I have such mixed feelings about this game. And by that I mean I love the weapons, but hate pretty much everything else. Resistance: Fall of Man had a far superior story, characters, even combat, (not to mention glass physics.) R:FOM had an epic sense of scale that R3 lacks, and the boss fights were orders of magnitude better. Something just feels not satisfying about the gunplay in R3. I have a hard time believing that anyone could find R3 more enjoyable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
caligula13 said:
i want to buy it if it is as good as Killzone 3.

Watch the video I linked above :)

The fixed iron sight solution is getting a lot of hate on the IG forums but they are looking into fixing it (not sure if they are going to detach the reticule or increase the sensitivity of the current implementation).

I've been playing a lot of co-op with pwonager the last couple days, and we ran into a LOT of bugs, especially in the scripting. Once near the beginning where an NPC just wouldn't open a door, so we had to kill ourselves.

Later on in the level where you're carrying
the power core
(where we both have one for some reason), we got to a part where the camera locked in a direction, we could still move but were stuck in a small area. Quitting to the menu and reloading was the only option, but it happened again every time we reached the same point. Eventually, we had to do that checkpoint in single player and then rejoin afterwards.

And later in the game at the
NYC Widowmaker fight
the area loaded but the enemies couldn't move or act and the boss was stuck in place, unkillable, a single reload fixed it that time though.

The game clearly tries to stream in the next room while you're in the one before it, but Metroid Prime style you often have to wait at a door if you're moving through the level too quickly for it. However unlike Metroid, you also have no control while waiting. We were trying to return to a location to get a trophy, we ran past a bunch of leapers and both activated the door; a "Loading..." message pops up, and over the course of the next 30 seconds the leapers kill us while we are stuck to the door, unable to move or back out, waiting for a load that never finished.

Overall, I had fun with the campaign, but it was dragged down by all the bugs I encountered which are probably network related, as I haven't seen much complaining about them otherwise.

TTP said:
Just finished R3 for the first time. On Hard, with Move, took me 6:42 (36 deaths).

Quite an enjoyable ride. Very similar to the first Resistance in terms of level design, especially the second half.

Did you give it a try with the sharpshooter?
I started the second play through to get a couple more points for the extra videos and tried it out. I don't know why, but it seems as if all settings for the deadzone go out of the window once it is attached.

But I'll have to agree with your pre-release impressions overall. If they make ADS at least a bit more responsive and allow to configure both axis independently in terms of speed, it would feel much better.

Did you give the MP a closer look, yet? I'll go into that tonight probably, but can see me being much more at a disadvantage in comparison to KZ3 due to the different "zoom-in" behavior.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kingschiebi said:
Did you give it a try with the sharpshooter?
I started the second play through to get a couple more points for the extra videos and tried it out. I don't know why, but it seems as if all settings for the deadzone go out of the window once it is attached.

I did try the SS and no, the settings remain the same. It's just the inertia of the Sharp Shooter that leads you to believe otherwise. That's why ADS feels so horrible with the SS compared to the vanilla Move.

SOCOM 4 compensates the added inertia by reducing the minimal deadzone and increasing the cursor sensitivity (on top of the SS specific camera assists in place), but Resistance 3 does nothing, just like KZ3. In KZ3 you have the option to activate camera assist tho, which is basically necessary when using the SS. Resistance 3 doesn't provide such option.

I tried MP quickly and got 8 kills and 7 deaths (IIRC) on my first TDM in a never before seen map. ADS system here is less bearable than it is in SP since targets are moving much faster and you have no time to wait for the camera assist to help you out.

TTP said:
I did try the SS and no, the settings remain the same. It's just the inertia of the Sharp Shooter that leads you to believe otherwise. That's why ADS feels so horrible with the SS compared to the vanilla Move.

SOCOM 4 compensates the added inertia by reducing the minimal deadzone and increasing the cursor sensitivity (on top of the SS specific camera assists in place), but Resistance 3 does nothing, just like KZ3. In KZ3 you have the option to activate camera assist tho, which is basically necessary when using the SS. Resistance 3 doesn't provide such option.

I tried MP quickly and got 8 kills and 7 deaths (IIRC) on my first TDM in a never before seen map. ADS system here is less bearable than it is in SP since targets are moving much faster and you have no time to wait for the camera assist to help you out.

Hmm, maybe it is because something went wrong while switching mid-play. I had set the deadzone to minimum before switching and had to move the cursor much closer to the screen edge to get it start turning afterwards.
I wouldn't be wondering if that is a bug though as I had some other glitches after playing for a prolonged time (about 4 hours) and the game did not recognize the melee gesture anymore.
It got fixed after reloading the last save, but I was't in the mood to start investigating if it is the same issue with the SS yesterday evening.

I'll stick to mid-range hip fire for MP then tonight, thanks!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kingschiebi said:
Hmm, maybe it is because something went wrong while switching mid-play. I had set the deadzone to minimum before switching and had to move the cursor much closer to the screen edge to get it start turning afterwards.

Yeah, likely a bug. I just tried again and deadzone stays the same when attaching the Move to the SS.

kingschiebi said:
I wouldn't be wondering if that is a bug though as I had some other glitches after playing for a prolonged time (about 4 hours) and the game did not recognize the melee gesture anymore.
It got fixed after reloading the last save, but I was't in the mood to start investigating if it is the same issue with the SS yesterday evening.

That's a bug I've noticed as well but can't recreate consistently. No need to reload the last save to fix it tho. You can simply pause the game and recalibrate to get your melee action back ;)

Oh, welcome to NeoGAF ;)

TTP said:
You can simply pause the game and recalibrate to get your melee action back ;)

Oh, welcome to NeoGAF ;)

Thanks
Ah, could have thought of that, but luckily checkpoint placement is really generous. Now that I think of it, IG managed to place them so well that I never got frustrated at any point even if I died a couple of times.
Especially with the Grim-bang in the prison sewers and during some of the NY encounters

madmackem

CozMick said:
Just go into matchmaking without you and it's lag free, no joke!

I've played hundreds of rounds and no lag whatsoever :\

Lies too many people complaining about it for it not to be an issue. You playing today like.

DigiMish

Enjoying the game so far, but even after both patches I encountered the bug where the dude in the mill doesn't kick down the door. I had to quit out to the main menu to continue.

iratA

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to James and everyone from Insomniac for the ride that R3 has been. IMO it's the most impressive product to come from your stables to date and I'm having an absolute blast.

Specifically, the campaign is something special. I've loved every second of it. Its got great pacing, great cinematics and just has this gritty feel to it without delving too deep into horror themes and conventions, which I don't fancy.

I'd agree with most people who have said this feels closer to Resistance 1 than 2, but I think it takes some of the best elements from both and yet you've formed a unique vision here that is very compelling. The art, the animations (minus that ladder animation) and the effects are just brilliant, the extra dev time here shows.

Thanks again Insomniac

[/end gushing love letter]

Paz

Kind of annoyed right now, it seems that the PSN pass codes are region locked and I can't use my game code on my accounts region....

May be worth adding to the OP, to warn people that you need to match your purchase region to your PSN account region or no multiplayer for you.

I've emailed Sony so we'll see what they say.

darkwing

Paz said:
Kind of annoyed right now, it seems that the PSN pass codes are region locked and I can't use my game code on my accounts region....

May be worth adding to the OP, to warn people that you need to match your purchase region to your PSN account region or no multiplayer for you.

I've emailed Sony so we'll see what they say.

i have an R3 region game, used an R3 account, played on my main R1 account, profit! the online pass is for the whole PS3 unit, not the user account

Top Bottom