• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

I reached level 27 and got the Grenadier perk. Now I carry a frag, EMP and hedgehog. ^_^

It's very satisfying to disarm people when they think they are all powerful. Wahahaha !

nOoblet16

finished the campaign two days ago,i will post some more impressions later on but just to summarize:

loved:
graphics
gameplay
atmosphere,overall feel and that old movie like filter
weapons and upgrades(specially visual upgrades like bioshock)
New character animations
Shooting grims with shotgun(this sooo much)

hated:
overall story
ending
length of campaign
not many enemy types

its kinda hard to believe insomniac would mess up my most loved part of the series,the story..The ending is so unsatisfying,it feels like they forgot to put one whole chapter explaining things

Synless

Wow, just got the game last night and I'm glad they used the tech for the snow in the first game as the tech for the dust particles. Game seems to be a huge step up from the second game (which I thought was damn good).

nOoblet16

i am not really sure if u have been following the series from the first game or not but IG has been building up to this moment..i was really waiting for some answers from IG which has been asked again and again in the last 2 parts,instead i got more questions now and no idea who or when i will find their answers : /

new followers are bound to like this game since it breaks the the same cod formula,but i am not so sure about old fans..resistance 1 is still the best in the series.while r3 may be better in gameplay and atmosphere when compared to r2,it loses major marks for the story progression

edit:that reminds me,about time someones makes a spoiler thread

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
patsu said:
I reached level 27 and got the Grenadier perk. Now I carry a frag, EMP and hedgehog. ^_^

It's very satisfying to disarm people when they think they are all powerful. Wahahaha !

Man, you're really having fun, aren't you?

patsu

nOoblet16 said:
i am not really sure if u have been following the series from the first game or not but IG has been building up to this moment..i was really waiting for some answers from IG which has been asked again and again in the last 2 parts,instead i got more questions now and no idea who or when i will find their answers : /

new followers are bound to like this game since it breaks the the same cod formula,but i am not so sure about old fans..resistance 1 is still the best in the series.while r3 may be better in gameplay and atmosphere when compared to r2,it loses major marks for the story progression

edit:that reminds me,about time someones makes a spoiler thread

There is already a spoiler thread !

patsu

Meisadragon said:
Man, you're really having fun, aren't you?

Still waiting for the lag patch, but yeah... I'm having fun in MP. ^_^

DM is devilishly amusing when I lobe all 3 grenades into a crowd of people fighting each other. 8^P

What say you, GAF? Should I pick this game up? I don't care for the multiplayer, only interested in the campaign. I loved R1, R2 had good and bad levels. I've got some time to kill this weekend so I'm gonna grab something in the next couple hours.

Loudninja

TheRagnCajun said:
What say you, GAF? Should I pick this game up? I don't care for the multiplayer, only interested in the campaign. I loved R1, R2 had good and bad levels. I've got some time to kill this weekend so I'm gonna grab something in the next couple hours.
Get it, the campaign is fantastic, if you love both R1 and R2 you will really love this imo.

Vol5

Insomniac need to sort some of these bugs out, primarily doors not opening. Totally destroys any sense of immersion when your jumping and spamming buttons to get something to happen. I've had a good deal of crashes as well when loading. Who knows...maybe it's my BR drive on the blink.

Still great though. On chapter 8 right now. The graphics don't get enough praise. They are really good with a nice style right throughout the campaign and MP.

Even though im not a fan of the coop and MP i gotta say the SP campaign is the best thing ive played this year after Deus Ex and the journey Beta. Playing Dead Island and Resistance 3 in the same time frame makes one truly appreciate IG talents

Am I a FPS god or something? I'm playing trough Superhuman, and it's too easy for my taste, I die quite a lot, but I'd like to die more :( Maybe you guys, complaining about the difficulty don't use your weapon properly, don't forget about the grenades too, they're very powerful and the game is generous.

eshwaaz

BackwardsSuggestions said:
Aaaaand, finished.

5 hours on normal. Difficulty spike in NY was a bit of a bitch but not too bad.
Sheesh, only five hours? Soon single player FPSs will be no longer than your average movie.

Finally got around playing this, watched couple of chapters of SP and played couple of rounds of MP (I did participate in the last beta).

All I gotta say about SP at this point is that EVERY FPS game should get rid of regenerating health. Everything looks awesome

patsu

The difficulty fluctuate somewhat depending on your luck. I played through some parts twice on Difficult. In one area, I actually got stuck because the enemies were more aggressive (They all pound on me at the same time). On second playthrough, they were nicer. ^_^

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
famousmortimer said:
I couldn't disagree more. I thought the ending was one of the most satisfying i've experienced... maybe ever.
Whoa are you kidding, the ending explains nothing and ends extremely abruptly. The game presents so many questions during its course and everything just ends unanswered and honestly there really wasn't an opening left for a continuation with some real answers. But then again this is Resistance and Im sure a sequel could be easily explained.

Ashes

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Sheesh, only five hours? Soon single player FPSs will be no longer than your average movie.

End game time is bull. Measured my own in real time after some people said the game didn't count deaths... It was off by a couple of hours...

It basically captures your speed run.

Just picked this up redbox and having a really weird bug. During cutscenes for the most part, there are NO VOICES! I can tell they're supposed to be talking because I'm seeing subtitles and mouths moving. Occasionally I'll get a single line of dialogue, then back to silent mouths moving. All the music and sound effects work fine, and voices during gameplay work too. Anyone else experiencing this?

DigiMish

Finished the game. Overall, I'm disappointed. While the gameplay was definitely there (locations, enemies, guns), the RESISTANCE story is ABSOLUTELY gone. Pretty much NOTHING gets answered, and more questions are raised. This is not what I would anticipate for an end to a trilogy.

I think Insomniac scaled waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much down after R2. I understand they wanted a more intimate feeling, but I feel like they've went too far and completely disregarded the Resistance canon.

This might as well been a generic "aliens invade and humans must band to survive" game or better yet a spinoff.

Although the locations were all good, the last level of the game had the "I've been there and done that" feeling, because you pretty much did it before in R1 and R2.

Like I said, SOOOOO many questions unanswered.

highrider

Banned
OSHAN said:
This may have already been answered, but does Superhuman unlock regardless of what difficulty you beat it on?

yes, let me know when you are ready to run some co-op. i should finish superhuman this week.

Grisby

TheRagnCajun said:

Rent. You can beat it in 6 hours and save $60. The campaign is great and replayable but I still don't see it as a $60 purchase.

patsu

6 hours based on the game stats ? That stat is flawed. Doesn't include retries. Mine was about 10 hours on Difficult. And I'm starting to replay some of the levels.

batbeg

Rented from redbox, forgot about the online pass so only did the local co-op which I have found disappointing and buggy, which worries me about the online splitscreen... which I of course can't test.

Also read that when I buy a copy we may need an online pass for a second user to log in? And I see no way of checking the stats for our campaign?

Insomniac have probably lost a sale here, as Resistance 2 was my goto local online game. Disappointing :(

patsu

The campaign stats is inside the "Multiplayer >> Profile" screen. You have to press L1 to go to the Campaign tab after that.

Melchiah

patsu said:
6 hours based on the game stats ? That stat is flawed. Doesn't include retries. Mine was about 10 hours on Difficult. And I starting to replay some of the levels.

10 hours here as well, on normal, and I didn't even search for all the intels. I will start another playthrough on easy tomorrow, with the health regen cheat enabled (didn't have enough points for all weapons & infinite ammo, unfortunately), and start searching for the missing intels.

batbeg

patsu said:
The campaign stats is inside the "Multiplayer >> Profile" screen. You have to press L1 to go to the Campaign tab after that.
So I need online pass for offline stats.

Fuck you Insomniac.

Loudninja

batbeg said:
So I need online pass for offline stats.

Fuck you Insomniac.
Ah it was Sony decision.

batbeg said:
Rented from redbox, forgot about the online pass so only did the local co-op which I have found disappointing and buggy, which worries me about the online splitscreen... which I of course can't test.

Also read that when I buy a copy we may need an online pass for a second user to log in? And I see no way of checking the stats for our campaign?

Insomniac have probably lost a sale here, as Resistance 2 was my goto local online game. Disappointing :(
Thats false.

batbeg

Loudninja said:
Ah it was Sony decision.
The online pass bs I attribute to Sony. Not making the campaign stats viewable sounds like an oversight on Insomniacs behalf to me. If not, fuck Sony (more).

Achtius

Gosh, Superhuman is killing me, I skip all the chapters in
PA
. And just got in the
Terraformer in NY
. The chapters in
PA
freaks me out for some reason.

dralla

DigiMish said:
Finished the game. Overall, I'm disappointed. While the gameplay was definitely there (locations, enemies, guns), the RESISTANCE story is ABSOLUTELY gone. Pretty much NOTHING gets answered, and more questions are raised. This is not what I would anticipate for an end to a trilogy.
why do people keep saying this? since when is this a trilogy? the story is not finished and will no doubt continue.

patsu

Melchiah said:
10 hours here as well, on normal, and I didn't even search for all the intels. I will start another playthrough on easy tomorrow, with the health regen cheat enabled (didn't have enough points for all weapons & infinite ammo, unfortunately), and start searching for the missing intels.

Yap. In fact, I chickened out from 2 fights because they looked too tough.
Was relieved to find that I could escape rather than the same old locked-in-&-fight mechanics.

Will replay those sections again no doubt.

DigiMish

dralla said:
why do people keep saying this? since when is this a trilogy? the story is not finished and will no doubt continue.

I know that the storyline will continue since Insomniac said this is not the last game. But after 3 games, you would think we would get some answers regarding the RESISTANCE universe.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Friday (or Saturday) will be my R3 day.

>8(

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
dralla said:
Its likely the fact that Insomniac expressed that they could see themselves handing off the series following R3 but I hope either they make R4 on PS3 as a launch game or Sony absorbs them so they can do that or if not have Sony Bend carry on tradition and make R4. Pretty sure the series could get the visual flair that we all so desire to go along with that fantastic art style

Massa

batbeg said:
The online pass bs I attribute to Sony. Not making the campaign stats viewable sounds like an oversight on Insomniacs behalf to me. If not, fuck Sony (more).

The stats were stored online for previous Insomniac games as well. Maybe not changing it for R3 was an oversight, or maybe Sony mandated the online pass too late in development to change how stats were tracked and stored.

Melchiah

patsu said:
Yap. In fact, I chickened out from 2 fights because they looked too tough.
Was relieved to find that I could escape rather than the same old locked-in-&-fight mechanics.

Will replay those sections again no doubt.

Yeah, did the same in some occasions, eg.
in New York, where there were plenty of those rocket launcher Chimeras high up in the buildings
. Tried about five times, and then just sprinted to the next checkpoint. Will have to try how they're on easy.

Top Bottom