• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
batbeg said:
The online pass bs I attribute to Sony. Not making the campaign stats viewable sounds like an oversight on Insomniacs behalf to me. If not, fuck Sony (more).

Guys you can look at campaign stats from the rewards section of the extras menu.

Also, speaking of multiplayer, would love to play it more but can't stand more than a few minutes at a time due to the constant hitching Every Time I Shoot A Dude. Can't wait for the patch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jstevenson said:
we're working on 1.04 as well now with other fixes. 1.03 is almost through, we hope.
Any chance of introducing customization of Move controls? TTP demonstrated that in the preview code but it doesn't seem possible in the final game. Would REALLY love to be able to re-assign some functions.

Oni Jazar

I'm really disappointed with how the Move controller is used in ironsight mode. KZ3 handled it much better. A shame because it's still a lot of fun to use in spite of that.

nOoblet16

even on superhuman its no match for resistance 1 difficulty...i ended the game in hard a few days ago again,so much fun !

also R1's campaign is easily around 13-15 hours long even at normal

unagisensei said:
Just picked this up redbox and having a really weird bug. During cutscenes for the most part, there are NO VOICES! I can tell they're supposed to be talking because I'm seeing subtitles and mouths moving. Occasionally I'll get a single line of dialogue, then back to silent mouths moving. All the music and sound effects work fine, and voices during gameplay work too. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm having all sorts of audio issues with the game. Music cuts out, sound effects loop, voice work doesn't sync up - really detracting from my enjoyment of the game. A quick google search shows that a lot of people are having similar problems - hopefully it'll be patched.

MrPliskin

Banned
dark10x said:
Any chance of introducing customization of Move controls? TTP demonstrated that in the preview code but it doesn't seem possible in the final game. Would REALLY love to be able to re-assign some functions.
Sony TRC doesn't allow it, which is why it was removed. Stupid Sony.

MrPliskin

Banned
unagisensei said:
Just picked this up redbox and having a really weird bug. During cutscenes for the most part, there are NO VOICES! I can tell they're supposed to be talking because I'm seeing subtitles and mouths moving. Occasionally I'll get a single line of dialogue, then back to silent mouths moving. All the music and sound effects work fine, and voices during gameplay work too. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry for the double post, just thought I'd offer some assistance!

The solution lies in your audio settings. I'm willing to bet you have 5.1 set up on your PS3, but it's not hooked up to a system that will output 5.1. The reason you are hearing no voices is because those are on a different channel.

Let me know if it helps.

Ashes

Banned
batbeg said:
So I need online pass for offline stats.

Fuck you Insomniac.

No.

The stats are in another section. I haven't registered online pass yet and I saw mine. I think they are in the reward section... Google it for more...

zlatko

Banned
famousmortimer said:
I couldn't disagree more. I thought the ending was one of the most satisfying i've experienced... maybe ever.

Dylan.gif

FeD.nL

CartridgeBlower said:
I get different tastes and all but...seriously?
I'm with famousmortimer. Loved the ending, very satisfying.

The story was a very personal one from the beginning. You play as Capelli whose only motivation to destroy that tower is to give his family a chance on a better future. So for me seeing him back with his family when the future is starting to look brighter is the best conclusion to this story there is. Capelli didn't go to NY for awnsers he went for his family.

FeD.nL said:

The story was a very personal one from the beginning. You play as Capelli whose only motivation to destroy that tower is to give his family a chance on a better future. So for me seeing him back with his family when the future is starting to look brighter is the best conclusion to this story there is. Capelli didn't go to NY for awnsers he went for his family.

But that still doesn't make it a good story. It's incredibly simple, fool of implausibilities, and ends with a ridiculously out-of-place happy ending. If this story was so 'personal' Capelli never would have been able to do the things he did at the end. The whole time they're saying 'we're going to have to do something really clever to take it down,' when in the end, he just storms the castle and blows up the yellow rods. There was nothing there.

JStevenson said that reviews respectfully didn't discuss the 'twist' of the story. After completing the game, I honestly could not tell you what that supposed 'twist' was. The prison? Alien zombies? What? The entire story was simple to a fault.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
nOoblet16 said:
even on superhuman its no match for resistance 1 difficulty...i ended the game in hard a few days ago again,so much fun !

also R1's campaign is easily around 13-15 hours long even at normal
R1 had a lot of filler though, especially at the start. But yes, the campaign takes ages to complete.

zlatko

Banned
FeD.nL said:

The end scene itself is what I'm questioning.

I expected the story to end well and Joe not to die. What I didn't expect for the final cut scene in the game to have no voice acting, and it looked like it was put together in 2 hours. Joe's wife hears shit on radio, hears a chopper outside, runs, they hug. That's it. FUCKING WEAK. By any measure of any standard this scene---THE ENDING should be fleshed out a LOT more. Even for FPS standards for stories, this was beyond weak. Halo: Reach had a more satisfying ending, that made all of what happened in the campaign feel like you went on a journey and one with meaning.

What is satisfying about this ending to you? And like others have said this games plot is filled with tons of filler and just 209348029 pieces of luck.
The one guy on the planet who understood how to stop the Chimera, our smartest man, Malikov, was just LET GO of after Resistance 2? I don't give a shit if the army had a giant battle and lost, they wouldn't just let him fuck right off. Plus, then he dies, and that 1 in a billion chance of the guy in prison who just happens to be able to understand his research notes. Come the fuck on.

This game is the perfect example of what developers keep saying about how far off game stories are from movies. :/

berva

Neo Member
Update 1.03 should be out within a few days. As it stands (1.02) multiplayer is pretty much unplayable unfortunately.

1.03 patch will include critical Multiplayer Lag and Framerate issues across the board.

I hope they get it right with this patch otherwise many players will be jumping ship to something else.

wowzors

Very Very good news to hear about 1.03, I had been playing 1.02 and it felt off, but I wasn't sure if this could be fixed or not, if the FPS does increase I will happily play multiplayer more.

spats said:
Pff, I beat superhuman with Move before ADS was fixed.

/adjusts hipster tie

To be honest, I didn't try it, yet, but died on Hard often enough on my first playthrough.
Then again, the second playthrough for points and upgrades went a lot smoother now.

Maybe I should give it a go tonight. Did you go for any cheats on superhuman (nothing like infinite health, of course)?

spats

kingschiebi said:
To be honest, I didn't try it, yet, but died on Hard often enough on my first playthrough.
Then again, the second playthrough for points and upgrades went a lot smoother now.

Maybe I should give it a go tonight. Did you go for any cheats on superhuman (nothing like infinite health, of course)?

Absolutely not. I think the cheats disable getting the trophy.

Does anyone else think that this game has a 'spin-off' feel to it? I'm not talking about the gameplay in any way but the story line.

Sure, Hale is dead so it was never going to be an exact follow on, but I felt this game posed more questions than it did answers. Very little from the previous games was solidly explained, beyond occasional postulations. For example, the alien world through the wormhole - Is it the pure Chimera homeworld, or another previously conquered planet? Why is it semi-destroyed? Why did the Chimera disappear millions of years ago (some speculation about another alien race)? If there is another alien race, who are they and why did they get involved- and where are they now? Why are large swathes of Chimera now feral? Why has disrupting the wormhole caused the Chimera to fall into a retreat? - they didn't have it before and they still managed to destroy pretty much every human military force. What is 'grey tech'? 'Can you hear them - they are beautiful' - Again possibly a reference to pure Chimera from R2, but left to hang. Don't get me wrong, I like loose ends in a movie as you have to leave some mystery, but c'mon..

All of which is why I feel this is a side story of one man, trying to create a better life for his family as he journeys on a cause which will almost certainly cost him his life and against odds that are lottery winning in size. Whilst there are hints as to what is happening over the rest of the world via the radios you find dotted around the game, it feels a much more personal, focused and emotional story compared to Hale's and probably explains why it doesn't need to answer the bigger questions of the Resistance universe.

The ending would have benefited greatly from short cut scenes (montage) from across the world of humanity driving back Chimera to give it a more emotional punch. It could still have been sound-tracked by radio snippets explaining the action. I think this is why the ending felt unsatisfying, rather than any fault in the storytelling. So many questions Insomniac, so many questions!!

spats said:
Absolutely not. I think the cheats disable getting the trophy.

I think that you can still enable stuff like super weapons which might make things a bit more manageable early on if you grab some better fire power out of dead chimeran hands.

-Winnie-

Hoping somebody can help me out here.

If you redeem your PSN Pass on one account, can the other accounts on your PS3 play online?
I want to get a copy of the game from the UK, so would need to redeem the Pass on a UK account, but I want to play on my normal AUS account.

Bollocks

-Winnie- said:
Hoping somebody can help me out here.

If you redeem your PSN Pass on one account, can the other accounts on your PS3 play online?
I want to get a copy of the game from the UK, so would need to redeem the Pass on a UK account, but I want to play on my normal AUS account.
Afaik it's tied to the console, just like any other code

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Oni Jazar said:
I can't see it either. Can you post it here please?

This is great news!

Yep what does it mean exactly? can you post the details here, also can't login and not using FB.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ahhh there reworking how the move aim works, I see, that's pretty cool of them tbh, I didn't expect them to change that.

Cornbread78

I used to post on their forums all the time, but I can no longer get past the forum intro page with the Chimera on it. It may be the version of Explorer my company uses....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished the game yesterday and I must admit that I really enjoyed it. The second half of the game REALLY took off. At first, I was enjoying it, but almost felt as if I were just going through the motions (despite some impressive locales). However, the game really ended up surprising me by the end. The encounters became rather frantic and challenging without frustration. By the end, the game was really reminding me of a good Halo experience with some fairly open environments and the need to keep moving during combat. The pacing is also really well done, actually, and light years beyond what they achieved in Resistance 2. I had read that the ending was disappointing, but the actual gameplay leading UP to the end was really incredible and the final few actions you must perform were a real cherry on top.

This really IS an amazing game.

I'd say I actually enjoyed this one more than either Killzone game, interestingly enough, and feel that it's not quite getting the credit it deserves in larger circles. It feels like a cross between a Valve game and Halo with its own flavor mixed in for good measure.

The only complaints I can really level at the game are technical in nature. The framerate is never great (as I've noted many times), the resolution is too low, and the Move implementation isn't nearly as enjoyable as that of Killzone 3. Still, I feel as if Insomniac have finally moved out of their comfort zone with this game. It doesn't feel like "yet another" installment in one of their series and really FEELS like a unique, special game.

Oni Jazar

The visuals are definitely mixed. You can tell the engine wants to do so much more then what the system can handle.

I really hope the ADS with Move is fixed soon because if it can match KZ3's aiming then it will be the best implementation yet. It needs to be POINT and shoot not DRAG and shoot.

I'm having a lot more fun with it then I honestly expected though.

Leotarius

Just wanted to say that from someone you really disliked Res1 and Res2, I really enjoyed this game.

I chalk it up to the the "alive mushy" nature of the enemies and environment, and the epic, dark story. I've always been a fan of the Resistance fiction, but this is the first time I think the potential of the fiction has actually been reached.

Hixx

Must be the only game in a while where you can finish with the most points and still rage at how shit the game is going. The chugging, the stalling, the ridiculous lag (lost count of how many simultaneous kills I've had in the last 45 minutes alone). The patch needs to hurry up and it NEEDS to do what it says or this is going to be my method of payment for Gears on tuesday. They managed to get a game with, what, quadruple the playercount? running infinitely smoother. What's going on here :/

MrPliskin

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I haven't been able to login to myresistance.net for ages, do you have to use FB to login now?

Temporarily, yes. Sony is taking their sweet little time implementing PSN Log-in to the site, probably because they're bitter Insomniac wanted it back from their horrible Lithium format boards.

Sony to Insomniac: "Oh, you want to move away from our Lithium and onto your own boards again? Okay, we'll be sure to get on PSN Stuff pronto"

Angry_kid1.gif

dralla

finished superhuman, not that tough. the last encounter is especially, on all modes.
sledge takes out the rods in one hit

favorite fight on SH -
NY, after you go through the downed SRPA ship, fight your way up through the apartments
. took me a good 20 minutes to finish, not because I died, just because I was low on a health and had some seriously intense standoffs.

dralla

shit, just thought of something, not sure if it would work, last fight -
could you shoot each group of rod with a magnum bullet, than detonate them all at the same time? Even if you couldn't im sure the Magnum could make it really easy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oni Jazar said:
The visuals are definitely mixed. You can tell the engine wants to do so much more then what the system can handle.
I don't think the engine is very optimized tbh. There's frame drops even when there's unquestionably unimpressive stuff on display (like staring at the wall with the oil lamp for example)

Top Bottom