• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Stoffinator

MrPliskin said:
GR unlocks take about 30 minutes to "propagate" once you've linked both accounts.

Well its been about two or three days and still nothing. Not that I expected anything from Sony like this to work very well. They can never do it right. :p

patsu

mujun said:
I can see CoD but not Halo or Half Life. Are you talking about the story or gameplay?

For me Halo is about the high level of situational awareness the combat gives you + the vehicle stuff and it's large scale. I really liked the pacing of Half Life 2, travel, combat, puzzle, rinse and repeat.

I'm only up to chapter 8, almost half way, does this have vehicle sections or puzzles, for example?

Complete the game before you respond to theBishop's summary comment.

Melchiah

Stoffinator said:
Well its been about two or three days and still nothing. Not that I expected anything from Sony like this to work very well. They can never do it right. :p

Took about that 30 minutes Mr. Pliskin said for the GR rewards to appear in my end.

KingK

Kerub said:
This keeps freezing in multiplayer. Every thirty minutes or so, really annoying.

Anyone else with this problem?

I just had this happen to me when I was playing online/split-screen with my roommate. Had to manually reset the PS3. The lag was also really bad. I think it might be worse when playing online split-screen, but it might just be me imagining it.

Chapter 18 on Superhuman now.
The prison
was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. I imagined it would be a nightmare in the four main areas of combat, esp the circular room in the sewer ;)

Just got to
NYC
so nearing the end of the game. A few more big battles in the next two chapters and I am done. Just the Journals, Bouncer trophy and co-op and I am done.

Part of me likes this game quite a lot, but in parts I equally hate it just as much.

MrPliskin

Banned
Stoffinator said:
That bites man. Have you tried checking your leader boards / profile to let the server update your data? Perhaps that will help speed things along. I'll try to think of some other things that might help. Stinks dude.

Also, I'll be putting together a community thread to help organize hook ups and co-op games later in the week. Will have a collective list of GAF PSN Id's and what not.

darkwing

what the, even Global Resistance is overloaded, something about reaching maximum capacity, nuhhhh i need my browser game fix (and my MP skins)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
CartridgeBlower said:
Wasn't it awesome when game developers actually made servers to host the games, as opposed to always doing P2P?
Resistance 3 is running on dedicated servers, is it not? Their netcode is buggy as hell. R2 and R1 had flawless MP. They even had 3 years this time; I guess they're just bored of the Resistance franchise.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I used to praise IG's Net Code so much in R1 and R2, I wouldn't have gotten a platinum in R2 if it had this stupid ass lag in R3

Sometime you just die, out of the fucking Blue, camera just pans to a wall

Everyone and their mother stated Leapers are broken, JS stated don't worry as you level up = better stuff to use as perks, saw a 30+ dude rocking them, on top of that had the spitter ones, so laggy when they pop, jump, spit, should be 2 bullets to kill 'em, not half a fucking clip or waste your grenade to killing them

Also love how guys randomly get super boost, and just zoom past you, unless that is a perk, it really is fucking stupid

Looks like platinum, and off to trade-in it goes, get $30 back, add $10 and GOW collections Volume II

I'll rent from RedBox for DLC or extra SP or Co-OP stuff (missions), no way I'm keeping this and playing it

Wasted $60 game certificate from Best Buy on this =/

Agent X

Melchiah said:
Linking Global Resistance with your PSN account works now, so everyone can redeem their rewards.

http://www.myresistance.net/community/index.php?topic=4913.0&lcheck=1

Are they ever going to set up Global Resistance (and myresistance.net in general) so that it doesn't require you to log in using a Facebook account? I don't have a Facebook account, and I have no intention of signing up for one.

I don't understand why they couldn't simply use the PSN login like virtually every other PlayStation-related game's site does. Using a PSN account from the get-go would have made a lot more sense, considering anyone who is playing the game online evidently has a PSN account already.

Ok, I'm at the end of the game (
terraformer
), and the singleplayer is amazing
the fights in New York were so intense
Probably one of the best FPS campaigns I've played in the last years.
But about the MP.. I spent around 30 hours in the beta, I loved the game and despite its flaws I was very hyped, and after the "disappointment" of the unbalanced and CODificied Killzone 3´s MP, I was looking for Resistance 3 for my MP title to use with Move. But I've played today around 3 hours, I had the same lag issues even with 1.03 and it's been a long time since I had been so frustrated with a multiplayed game, I had to stop playing because I almost throw my Sharshooter to the floor. I don't know, I have to give the MP another opportunity, and when 1.04 with the ADS for Move is corrected will be a good time. But today Resistance 3´s MP has left a very bad impression in myself :/.

Hulud

Single player was surprisingly decent this time.

And no trial period for the multiplayer?

oGOu4.jpg

Back to Gamefly it is, then. :(

Stoffinator

MrPliskin said:
That bites man. Have you tried checking your leader boards / profile to let the server update your data? Perhaps that will help speed things along. I'll try to think of some other things that might help. Stinks dude.

Also, I'll be putting together a community thread to help organize hook ups and co-op games later in the week. Will have a collective list of GAF PSN Id's and what not.

That did the trick thank you.

jackb2424

Banned
Just finished the campaign! I haven't had so much fun with a fps and a very long time. This game just had everything I wanted in a shooter. The story was simple but very straight forward. I was never once confused by anything. It really seemed like all hope was lost at some points. But man when this game in the later stages was in overdrive. I couldn't stop playing. The weapons were some the most innovative and extreme designs I've seen in a while. Also this is the very first that I've played all the way through only in 3D. It feels completely different and immerses you into the game, truly a unique and very rewarding experience. The 3D just puts this game over the edge for me. The depth was insane. Looking up at one of those widow things made it seem like it was 80 ft tall. Very cool stuff. The visuals were also some of the best I have seen. For me Resistance 3 is now one of my personal top games this generation.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I just beat Resistance 3. Short but fun. I was a little surprised there were no vehicle sections. Did people dislike those in the previous games?

Massa

Well what do you know, today the game worked a lot better for me. Just wish they would do some balance tweaks already.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
why are people complaining about leapers? to me its an anti-tea bagging device rofl. seriously, one grenade or precise shots is all it takes. If your sticking around my dam corpse, then that's your problem, have a taste of leaper death. Most games i play, people just run away from the body anyways, also, WHY are you sticking around the dead body to begin with?

pelican

Was playing online last night and it was ok.

Most annoying thing for me was the 5000 score limit on TDM. Every game I was getting into the swing of things only for it to finish. Games last a matter of 5 minutes. Not something I want from a TDM mode which is still my preferred option when it comes to online.

Man

Will play through the game a second time when 1.04 releases (detached iron-sight aim for PSMove yay!).
I haven't touched the online (excluding the Beta) but will do so when that update is live.

Massa

EvaTType01 said:
why are people complaining about leapers? to me its an anti-tea bagging device rofl. seriously, one grenade or precise shots is all it takes. If your sticking around my dam corpse, then that's your problem, have a taste of leaper death. Most games i play, people just run away from the body anyways, also, WHY are you sticking around the dead body to begin with?

Well, here's what happened with me today. Not the only time either.

Walked into a run with three campers (Deadeye/Marksman type), managed to shoot the first, kill the second with a grenade and then tag and kill the third. Feeling awesome? Well, until 12 fucking leapers spawn, my screen turns into a slideshow and I'm dead.

Leapers are awful. If you don't want to get tea bagged then don't get killed. :p
(I couldn't care less about tea-bagging, that kind of stuff is only fun if the other person is sitting next to you).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Man said:
Will play through the game a second time when 1.04 releases (detached iron-sight aim for PSMove yay!).
I haven't touched the online (excluding the Beta) but will do so when that update is live.

Holding on my Superhuman run for that as well.

Didn't have any problem completing the game of Difficult with Move tho. I think the complains are fair enough but the ADS system doesn't break the game. At least in SP.
It probably does in MP tho.

darkwing

EvaTType01 said:

its only a problem when they are in a swarm otherwise they are just like flies, just annoying , the atomizer is the real op

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
TTP said:
Holding on my Superhuman run for that as well.

Didn't have any problem completing the game of Difficult with Move tho. I think the complains are fair enough but the ADS system doesn't break the game. At least in SP.
Can you give me your settings? You know, I think the Move implementation here is better than in KZ3 apart from the ADS system, of course.

TTP said:
I think the complains are fair enough but the ADS system doesn't break the game. At least in SP.

I gave MP a try over the weekend and found the mid-range encounters pretty hard. Where I used ADS fairly often in KZ3 and did not feel at a disadvantage, it just feels uncomfortable in R3. You can counter that to some extend while using weapons as the marksman and go for headshots while firing from the hip, that's not perfect either.

It really boils down to not having the two different deadzone setups for each aiming mode and I hope that the patch does introduce a similar implementation.

I still like the implementation for the rest, especially the minimal deadzone when running around. Only thing that would make it even better there would be an option to adjust horizontal/vertical turn speed individually. (Looking up/down just feels a bit too slow for my taste)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Meisadragon said:
Can you give me your settings? You know, I think the Move implementation here is better than in KZ3 apart from the ADS system, of course.

Minimal deadzone
Maximum turn speed
Cursor sensitivity about 3 "tags" from top value.

kingschiebi said:
I gave MP a try over the weekend and found the mid-range encounters pretty hard. Where I used ADS fairly often in KZ3 and did not feel at a disadvantage, it just feels uncomfortable in R3. You can counter that to some extend while using weapons as the marksman and go for headshots while firing from the hip, that's not perfect either.

It really boils down to not having the two different deadzone setups for each aiming mode and I hope that the patch does introduce a similar implementation.

I still like the implementation for the rest, especially the minimal deadzone when running around. Only thing that would make it even better there would be an option to adjust horizontal/vertical turn speed individually. (Looking up/down just feels a bit too slow for my taste)

Yeah, overall turning acceleration area is more "spread out" than in Killzone 3 (as I've pointed out in my video). Top turn speed is fine per se but you need to push the cursor too much away from the center to get close to it. In KZ3 you get a decent speed turn earlier.

Melchiah

Agent X said:
Are they ever going to set up Global Resistance (and myresistance.net in general) so that it doesn't require you to log in using a Facebook account? I don't have a Facebook account, and I have no intention of signing up for one.

I don't understand why they couldn't simply use the PSN login like virtually every other PlayStation-related game's site does. Using a PSN account from the get-go would have made a lot more sense, considering anyone who is playing the game online evidently has a PSN account already.

Yeah, it would have been better if you could just login with your PSN account. I hesitated to enter the game for quite a while, because I didn't want any GR related stuff to appear on my FB profile, and I've been sceptical about logging into anything with my FB account ever since the PSN was hacked.

P.S. Has anyone managed to unlock the Death Squad Hybrid skin?

http://www.myresistance.net/community/index.php?topic=379.0
Legion Command (10 xp): Deploy 5,000 troops (R3 MP Skin Unlocked: Death Squad Hybrid)

I've done that twice, but nothing happened. =/

Well, after playing a few more hours, with less lag (but wtf Insomniac with your netcode), I've improved my weapons a little and I've get a hold of the maps and this is other thing. Anyway I need to unlock more perks and abilities.

About the Move implementation, the ADS for long range manages more or less, but in short range is impossible to follow your enemies. Let's hope we don't have to wait much time for the 1.04 patch.

Finished the SP today. Good game. Not mindblowingly good but I liked the more R:FoM vibe. Still think R:FoM was the best in the series. The weapons were a load of fun to mess around with. The Mutator has to be one of my favourite weapons this gen.

Positives:

Atmosphere
Weapons
Environments
Focus on a human interest story

Negatives:

Seemed a bit derivative sometimes
Graphically poor character models
Some abrupt scene cuts
Malikov's emotionless VA and tourguide narrative ruining key moments

Think it was a good note to end the series.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Melchiah said:
Yeah, it would have been better if you could just login with your PSN account. I hesitated to enter the game for quite a while, because I didn't want any GR related stuff to appear on my FB profile, and I've been sceptical about logging into anything with my FB account ever since the PSN was hacked.

P.S. Has anyone managed to unlock the Death Squad Hybrid skin?

http://www.myresistance.net/community/index.php?topic=379.0

I've done that twice, but nothing happened. =/

There have been problems with accolades being triggered, you should go post that in the tech issues thread over at Myresistance.net because that one unlocked quickly for me. I had a problem with the Malikov skin, but so did a lot of people. It just now unlocked after a week or so.

Also, you can now link your PSN in with MyResistance.net.

Loudninja

Massa said:
Well, here's what happened with me today. Not the only time either.

Walked into a run with three campers (Deadeye/Marksman type), managed to shoot the first, kill the second with a grenade and then tag and kill the third. Feeling awesome? Well, until 12 fucking leapers spawn, my screen turns into a slideshow and I'm dead.

Leapers are awful. If you don't want to get tea bagged then don't get killed. :p
(I couldn't care less about tea-bagging, that kind of stuff is only fun if the other person is sitting next to you).
They are getting tone down, in numbers and probably damage. I think only 2 will spawn and not 3 or 4. :)

Also they are looking into the rossmore and Atomizer as well.

Carbonox

Once I finish campaign, I'm 90% sure I'll be trading the game in. What a disappointing title. I prefer Resistance 2 by a significant margin.

T-0800

MP fixes

Fix the framerate.
Remove the leapers. They are everywhere.
Is it so hard to stop the camera from going 'underground' when you die?
The list goes on....

There is a great game here but it's being ruined by lack of polish. The patched retail version plays no better than the beta and I've just about had enough.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Once I finish campaign, I'm 90% sure I'll be trading the game in. What a disappointing title. I prefer Resistance 2 by a significant margin.
Wow, that's one of the first times I've read that. May I ask what it is about Resistance 2 that you prefer? I found that to be one of the most disappointing titles this generation and simply didn't enjoy it. The campaign had little soul and just randomly jumped from location to location with each encounter setup for a specific weapon. It was stiff and boring.

R3 is so much more interesting to me. It almost has the feel of a Valve game in a lot of ways. It has a few issues, to be sure, but I thought it was an excellent campaign.

Loudninja

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
May I ask why? I loved R2 as well, but no way in hell would I put it above R3.

Carbonox

I felt Resistance 2 was a more appealing package to me. I spent so much time on the separate campaign Co-op, which I thought was an excellent addition to the series. The lack of it in Resistance 3 was actually a major disappointment for me.

Single player-wise, Resistance 3 has some good set pieces, a good atmosphere in many parts of the game (some bits are like a Survival Horror which I appreciated, despite these parts dragging for so long), and it feels more intimate with this sense of dread, given your odds. However that's all the game has to offer to me. Even then, I wouldn't rate these parts together as some godly package for the game when it lacks in many other areas.

I feel like Joseph was pussified. I liked his asshole nature in Resistance 2. Despite understanding his new personality, I feel as though he's a completely different character. Apart from being sad all the fucking time, there is zero character development on his part with the exception of knocking up Hale's sister. He's very boring. Malikov is the only interesting character and even then, there's very little personality from him unless you read his reports. Not one single other character offers anything.

Story-wise, I was offended when they gave you a very fast recap of the previous game/s and then fast forward 4 years, completely ignoring America's fall and the aftermath of Resistance 2's events. I wanted to see what happened through an experience of my own, not through some cutscene. The fall of America in some shitty cutscene felt to me the exact same as the fall of Umbrella's cutscene in Resident Evil 4. An offence to the people who care for continuity and the relevant franchise's universe. I know, vidya game stories and all but still. I actually give a damn about the universe of Resistance. Resistance 2 offered a lot more of a progressive story and had a lot of background info and reports to help flesh everything out in a coherent way. You got your information on Cloven and Pure Chimera as well, the hierarchy of the Chimera and how their inner circles work, you got an ending that could be interpreted as setting up something more galactic, etc. These are all interesting aspects that could have tied in together and potentially set something up in a very appealing way for the future of the series.

Maybe my expectations for a follow-up to Resistance 2 were sky high. Either way, Resistance 3 brought any expectations crashing right down. I enjoyed the military nature of Resistance 2. This sense of comradery and togetherness in the plot as you fight to prevent the Chimera. You also think there's some higher power at work, especially by the end with Hale and Daedalus. I wanted to see the aftermath and how America eventually succumbed nonetheless, despite Hale's great efforts.

I probably didn't explain myself to the best of my ability but while Resistance 2 had its problems, I thought it was brilliant nonetheless and had a very good plot by this franchise's standards. I get the feeling Insomniac are just bored of Resistance now and couldn't wait to throw Resistance 3 out there.

Top Bottom