• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Melchiah

Applesauce said:
There have been problems with accolades being triggered, you should go post that in the tech issues thread over at Myresistance.net because that one unlocked quickly for me. I had a problem with the Malikov skin, but so did a lot of people. It just now unlocked after a week or so.

Also, you can now link your PSN in with MyResistance.net.

Might have to do so, if it doesn't unlock in a delayed fashion, like the Malikov skin in your case. BTW, I think the Malikov skin is just not possible to obtain for those that fight on the Chimera side, as it seems impossible to win against the overwhelming amount of troops and regions the human side has.

I've already linked the PSN account and reaped the rewards I've got so far. I wish Insomniac would make some of those New York & Terraformer artwork pics available for PC wallpapers.

NBtoaster

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Story-wise, I was offended when they gave you a very fast recap of the previous game/s and then fast forward 4 years, completely ignoring America's fall and the aftermath of Resistance 2's events. I wanted to see what happened through an experience of my own, not through some cutscene.

I'm betting this will be covered in the PSVita game.

CozMick

Banned
Melchiah said:
Might have to do so, unless it doesn't unlock in a delayed fashion, like the Malikov skin in your case. BTW, I think the Malikov skin is just not possible to obtain for those that fight on the Chimera side, as it seems impossible to win against the overwhelming amount of troops and regions the human side has.

I've already linked the PSN account and reaped the rewards I've got so far. I wish Insomniac would make some of those artwork pics available for PC wallpapers.

2-3 days ago the Chimeran won a war :p

It's our turn now, I want my Malikov skin :lol

Melchiah

CozMick said:
2-3 days ago the Chimeran won a war :p

It's our turn now, I want my Malikov skin :lol

That was just before I started playing it. =(

EDIT: I just checked my GR profile, and we did actually won a war, but the Veteran medal isn't on my GR profile, nor is the Malikov skin unlocked in R3 for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I felt Resistance 2 was a more appealing package to me. I spent so much time on the separate campaign Co-op, which I thought was an excellent addition to the series. The lack of it in Resistance 3 was actually a major disappointment for me.

Single player-wise, Resistance 3 has some good set pieces, a good atmosphere in many parts of the game (some bits are like a Survival Horror which I appreciated, despite these parts dragging for so long), and it feels more intimate with this sense of dread, given your odds. However that's all the game has to offer to me. Even then, I wouldn't rate these parts together as some godly package for the game when it lacks in many other areas.

I feel like Joseph was pussified. I liked his asshole nature in Resistance 2. Despite understanding his new personality, I feel as though he's a completely different character. Apart from being sad all the fucking time, there is zero character development on his part with the exception of knocking up Hale's sister. He's very boring. Malikov is the only interesting character and even then, there's very little personality from him unless you read his reports. Not one single other character offers anything.

Story-wise, I was offended when they gave you a very fast recap of the previous game/s and then fast forward 4 years, completely ignoring America's fall and the aftermath of Resistance 2's events. I wanted to see what happened through an experience of my own, not through some cutscene. The fall of America in some shitty cutscene felt to me the exact same as the fall of Umbrella's cutscene in Resident Evil 4. An offence to the people who care for continuity and the relevant franchise's universe. I know, vidya game stories and all but still. I actually give a damn about the universe of Resistance. Resistance 2 offered a lot more of a progressive story and had a lot of background info and reports to help flesh everything out in a coherent way. You got your information on Cloven and Pure Chimera as well, the hierarchy of the Chimera and how their inner circles work, you got an ending that could be interpreted as setting up something more galactic, etc. These are all interesting aspects that could have tied in together and potentially set something up in a very appealing way for the future of the series.

Maybe my expectations for a follow-up to Resistance 2 were sky high. Either way, Resistance 3 brought any expectations crashing right down. I enjoyed the military nature of Resistance 2. This sense of comradery and togetherness in the plot as you fight to prevent the Chimera. You also think there's some higher power at work, especially by the end with Hale and Daedalus. I wanted to see the aftermath and how America eventually succumbed nonetheless, despite Hale's great efforts.

I probably didn't explain myself to the best of my ability but while Resistance 2 had its problems, I thought it was brilliant nonetheless and had a very good plot by this franchise's standards. I get the feeling Insomniac are just bored of Resistance now and couldn't wait to throw Resistance 3 out there.
Interesting. Your points are all completely valid, but all of the things you love about R2 were the things that I hated.

I don't know how you could critique the story telling of Resistance 3 when R2 has some of the worst examples of story telling I've seen in a modern game. That said, I don't think the narrative is particularly strong in any of the games and I found the universe they created to be rather generic in R1 and 2. Resistance 3 feels like a game that is completely separated from those other two titles and I actually feel that's a strength. The generic military feel the previous games offered simply didn't work for me.

More importantly than anything story related, I just felt the core gameplay and level design of Resistance 2 was lacking and dull. This is what killed the experience for me, not the story.

One thing I wish they would have fleshed out more in R3 is the first person story telling. This is something that I fell in love with in the original Crysis as well as in Valve games. I wish they had stuck to fully realtime visuals (rather than resorting to video sequences) and kept all scenes in first person. As the original Crysis proves, you need not stick to a silent protagonist when using this method. The end of the game actually shows what could have been done, I thought, but then they cut to another video.

Cornbread78

Can I just reiterate how dissappointed I am at this point.... I mean, they had some great ideas for R3, they already had the infrastructure, the fanbase and the gameplay in their possession, and then this....

Please fix the MP, I'm still willing to dump hundreds of hours into it, I just can't right now, The TDM take 2 mins to play and the 5 kills aren't worth it, and the framrate and death lag drives me crazy..

Please please please, make it right!

Carbonox

dark10x said:
Interesting. Your points are all completely valid, but all of the things you love about R2 were the things that I hated.

I don't know how you could critique the story telling of Resistance 3 when R2 has some of the worst examples of story telling I've seen in a modern game. That said, I don't think the narrative is particularly strong in any of the games and I found the universe they created to be rather generic in R1 and 2. Resistance 3 feels like a game that is completely separated from those other two titles and I actually feel that's a strength. The generic military feel the previous games offered simply didn't work for me.

More importantly than anything story related, I just felt the core gameplay and level design of Resistance 2 was lacking and dull. This is what killed the experience for me, not the story.

One thing I wish they would have fleshed out more in R3 is the first person story telling. This is something that I fell in love with in the original Crysis as well as in Valve games. I wish they had stuck to fully realtime visuals (rather than resorting to video sequences) and kept all scenes in first person. As the original Crysis proves, you need not stick to a silent protagonist when using this method. The end of the game actually shows what could have been done, I thought, but then they cut to another video.

I think it's mainly how the universe was fleshed out in Resistance 2, plus the story taking different turns, resulting in everything being much larger, which appealed to me in Resistance 2. Resistance 3 keeps it closer to home and very compact, which to me, is a bad thing.

You're spot on when you say Resistance 3 is completely separated. That's its biggest fault though IMO. It most certainly reminds of me the transition from Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica X to Resident Evil 4. In the former title you feel part of a bigger world with the overarching plot hinting towards bigger things. In the latter - which is supposed to be a sequel - the title throws some half-assed cutscene to explain everything and then sets up something pretty much 99% new, completely halting progression and resulting in a jarring experience plot-wise.

You're also right about your last part. Capelli keeping quiet for much of the game is one of the most annoying aspects, especially as I liked his gobby attitude in Resistance 2. In Resistance 3, or gaming as whole, this silent protagonist bullshit is silly in games where it doesn't suit it.

Loudninja

Cornbread78 said:
Can I just reiterate how dissappointed I am at this point.... I mean, they had some great ideas for R3, they already had the infrastructure, the fanbase and the gameplay in their possession, and then this....

Please fix the MP, I'm still willing to dump hundreds of hours into it, I just can't right now, The TDM take 2 mins to play and the 5 kills aren't worth it, and the framrate and death lag drives me crazy..

They are fixing the scoring today,I think I said that like 8 times! :p

The framerate and lag for Massa seems to have gotten better even though he did have the same issues as you in the beginning.Hopefully it starts to get better for you to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I think it's mainly how the universe was fleshed out in Resistance 2, plus the story taking different turns, resulting in everything being much larger, which appealed to me in Resistance 2. Resistance 3 keeps it closer to home and very compact, which to me, is a bad thing.
That was one of the things that disappointed me most in R2. The story was told almost entirely through collectibles. If you simply played through the game, it really never came together. They would just jump from place to place all over the country with very little in the way of proper transitions. One minute you're in an underground base, the next you're in a forest, and then you're in some random town. They are hundreds of miles apart and there is no sense of actual travel. It feels like a collection of random episodes that are only loosely related rather than a cohesive story. They tried to do too much too quickly.

R3 works for me in that you really get a sense of proper travel from the game. You have a destination and the reasons for stopping in each area make logical sense. For instance, on the train, you are ambushed and eventually derailed which results in your capture and placement in the prison.

Honestly, playing through Resistance 2 reminds me of old poorly translated games. Everything feels disconnected and random as if you are missing some important piece of information. It's like the end of MGS2 where Arsenal Gear crashes into New York City. This was cut due to 9/11 so the transition between so, one minute, you're standing on Arsenal Gear and then you find yourself in a sword fight in the middle of NYC on the wreckage of Arsenal. The entirely of Resistance 2 plays out that way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Chapter 10 was intense! So much good stuff there -
sniper duels using Auger vision to track them down, searchlights, dropship destroying the bridge, and you destroying dropship...
sogood.gif

The fire/smoke/explosions at the end of this chapter were exemplary too. Framerate however, was not :p

I'm very close to finishing the campaign, and plan to do so tonight.

This is easily the best Resistance campaign IMO, but it does suffer from a common problem among games today. There is a lack of character development in the cut scenes. Now I realize that the developer has to walk a fine line, where they know some ADD kids cannot tolerate more than a 30 second cut scene, so they want to make them short and to the point, but at the cost of really not knowing enough about some of these people to care about them.

When certain dramatic events occur, if I don't know much about that character, I just don't care all that much. I feel like all it needed were a few extra moments here and there, where one character gives a piece of his background or something, but it wasn't there.

Regardless, I liked so much about this game. Loved the weapon variety, and the ability to choose any of them at any time. Graphics were solid, and well realized at every point. The game was basically a joy to play. Looking forward to see the final moments tonight.

Cornbread78

Loudninja said:
They are fixing the scoring today,I think I said that like 8 times! :p

The framerate and lag for Massa seems to have gotten better even though he did have the same issues as you in the beginning.Hopefully it starts to get better for you to.

I didn't have time to read back past the last few pages, but I'll take your word for it. It was driving me so crazy that I jumped out of a party with all my buddies to play SP because of it all. They need to get thsi stuff right..

Carbonox

Did the
Prison
level and am currently in New York. These are more impressive, with the latter feeling like a Resistance game. The former's beginning also had the only actual character impact in the entire game that I gave a toss about.

Then I reverted back in to "WTF are you doing Insomniac" land...

In some dinky shitty file it's revealed that the tower's purpose is actually so that the Pure Chimera (yay for finally mentioning this MAJOR FUCKING THING) can come in their billions to occupy Earth once the planet is frozen. Why the shitballs is this kept to some stupid file and not revealed in-game as arguably the most IMPORTANT plot point for the Chimeran side all series?

Yeah, this game's story is balls, as is the presentation of it. It really needed some sort of narration at the least like in R1 for major plot points.
No wonder a load of Chimera went feral; they wanted to get away from this bullshit.

Sorry guys but this is a really disappointing game.

Radec

Finally got to play the MP.

It was great, no lag for me. I love the snow level. Getting a Killzone 3 vibe. :D

In the Seaside map, is that normal where the map is covered in fog? I can barely see anything. :/

Loudninja

Radec said:
Finally got to play the MP.

It was great, no lag for me. I love the snow level. Getting a Killzone 3 vibe. :D

In the Seaside map, is that normal where the map is covered in fog? I can barely see anything. :/
First time I seen the fog was yesterday in a CTF match.

patsu

Isn't it the smoke grenade ? I see people throwing them in the terraformer map too. It doesn't look like a map feature.

Loudninja

Radec said:
yeah the level was full of fog.

Then earlier I played Seaside again but it is in normal look now (same as in beta)
Maybe a glitch? I don't know that map changes all the time,sometimes its raining other times its now.

Oni Jazar

dark10x said:

I've said that since before Resistance 1: Make a Half-Life 1/2 clone. Make it a personal and wild ride into an alternate universe ripe with atmosphere. Resistance 3 gets closest so far but it needs to do more like you said, keep everything in game with first person perspective. Also add some environment obstacles and maybe vehicles.

Stantron

Beat the game recently on normal. Difficulty was just right to be enjoyable. Graphics were insanely good all the way through. I said wow multiple times. Gun play and set pieces were nice. There are hints of a great story, but the game didn't do a good job to keep me interested in the characters. Felt like I played half of an epic game the way it ended. Overall enjoyable, but feels like there was a lot left on the table for improvement.

MP is a fucking mess. Laggy to the point of being unplayable even after the recent patch and playing hardcore mode. Weapon balance seems to be broken as well. Atomizer smh. Uneven team match making in both quantity and skill. This shit is embarrassing. And they have the audacity to make this an online pass game or charge $10? What a joke.

Also disappointed at no matchmaking for coop.

Radec said:
yeah the level was full of fog.

Then earlier I played Seaside again but it is in normal look now (same as in beta)

The maps should have different weather and lighting effects based on the gametype. For example, I believe CTF on Seaside should always be the foggy version.

I'm getting the full breakdown for variants now and I'll report back. There are some really cool ones :)

Reich

Playing the whole game and my receiver shows PCM 7,1 .. Should'nt it be Dolby True HD or something higher than PCM ?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Team Klimt said:
The maps should have different weather and lighting effects based on the gametype. For example, I believe CTF on Seaside should always be the foggy version.

I'm getting the full breakdown for variants now and I'll report back. There are some really cool ones :)
Ooh nice detail. Please share.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
Leapers is a defensive tactic, the game freezing for a moment after you kill two guys is not the leaper ability's fault, its the games, essentially if you didnt freeze you would have gotten scott free XD. Ive had my share of freezes, instead of moments of triumps. I see 3 guys, toss a grenade right? wrong, 1 sec freeze is all it took to head shot me hahaha. This game has also caused me many a times of freezing and locks. This game is really buggy as hell.....

patsu

Team Klimt said:

Oh yes, silly me. I have seen it too. I thought it was logical to make CTF foggy so it's easier to complete the game. ^_^

Bebpo

Banned
Do you guys with 3dtvs play in 3d?

I started this up last night and it looks a lot nicer in 3d and the jaggies seem much less pronounced, but the framerate at the start is egad in 3d. In 2d the framerate is better but the jaggies are pretty annoying.

Not sure which to stick with.

MrPliskin

Banned
Cornbread78 said:

I think this has been stated a lot in the thread, bu the TDM limit was an accident.

I don't think you, or anyone, should act like IG doesn't want to "make it right". Clearly their continued communication and work are enough to illustrate that they want to fix the product.

gibration said:
Where do I sign in with my PSN ID on myresistance.net?

Currently you cannot sign in, you can only link your PSN account. Do this under Profile > Account Settings

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PetriP-TNT said:
my stats - edit profile -> connect with PSN

Has anyone been able to log-in on myresistance.net all day?
I've been on a few times today. Once or twice it didn't work but it's been fine after reloading.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Leapers are going to be adjusted spawn fewer.

Framerate / lag issues are still being worked on here, though there was a big improvement.

We're looking at Shotgun power.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
Leapers are going to be adjusted spawn fewer.

Framerate / lag issues are still being worked on here, though there was a big improvement.

We're looking at Shotgun power.
Yeah I had alot of issues before the patch now its much better for me,no framerate hiccups or lag issues anymore.

I still see others that are having problems because of the icon that appear on the head but it never mess with my game.I hope it gets fixed for everyone else the mutiplayer is great.

i've read some good reviews but haven't seen too many real gamer impressions. if i liked R1 and absolutely hated R2 (as in, probably one of the worst FPS i've ever played), would R3 be worth my time?

DigiMish

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i've read some good reviews but haven't seen too many real gamer impressions. if i liked R1 and absolutely hated R2 (as in, probably one of the worst FPS i've ever played), would R3 be worth my time?

Yes, you'll be satisfied by the single player. Competitive multiplayer is more like R2 though with smaller maps and smaller player count.

Melchiah

RoboPlato said:
PetriP-TNT said:
Has anyone been able to log-in on myresistance.net all day?
I've been on a few times today. Once or twice it didn't work but it's been fine after reloading.

I've been logged in all day, and visiting the game every once in a while. Apart from being very slow at times, it seems to work.

Bradach

Just finished the game on hard with move. I loved it. Well done Insomniac. My next play through will be co op I think. A tip for move users, I used a quickscoping technique to get around the sluggish iron sights. Point at the target from the hip then L1 and shoot, works a charm (in SP at least)
Btw jstevenson
if you need a Dublin accent in any future resistance games I'd be happy to oblige! The one you used at the end sounded off :)

Desmond

Bradach said:
Just finished the game on hard with move. I loved it. Well done Insomniac. My next play through will be co op I think. A tip for move users, I used a quickscoping technique to get around the sluggish iron sights. Point at the target from the hip then L1 and shoot, works a charm (in SP at least)
Btw jstevenson
if you need a Dublin accent in any future resistance games I'd be happy to oblige! The one you used at the end sounded off :)
Another Dub? nice

Their Derry one was even worse.

Top Bottom