• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Anyone knows what ports uses R3 mp? I've googled and searched in MyResistance and I haven't found it (jstevenson, if you read this it would be nice if you could help me, thanks in advance). Because I'm trying to get into the multiplayer, and I love the gameplay, maps design, objective modes,.. but the extreme lag I'm suffering sometimes is beginning to annoy me.

I have optical fiber and I usually have no lag problems with any game. But this is horrendous, surprising a enemy, tagging him with the bullseye (both 100% health, at least myself), shooting him in point blank range and emptying the clip (with the extended magazine perk), and he's able to turn around, shoot me with a carbine and KILL ME (without been assisted or with a headshot) with 30% of health. And one time, and another, and another.. WTF is this shit? Tonight I was ready to join a group of people to play online, but a few matches have discouraged me to play, I'll going to sleep and tomorrow will be another day.

Sorry about the rant, but I was very hyped about this game, I absolutely love the singleplayer but the multiplayer (with Insomniacs tradition of dedicated servers and good netcodes in R1 and R2) for now is a disappointment and a lagfest for me. I'll try again a few more times, but I fear my Sharpshooter and Move will be again without a decent FPS multiplayer.

Loudninja

We will be updating the Resistance 3 TDM score limit overnight tonight. So by tomorrow morning everyone should see the change. Thanks! #fb
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/115908964012662784

@JV7J we will be updating that overnight during the maintenance window. Doing now, during primetime, would cause issues for players
http://twitter.com/#!/insomniacgames/status/115908903711150080

Cool, not Monday like they said, but if it will cause problems than I am fine with it.

patsu

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i've read some good reviews but haven't seen too many real gamer impressions. if i liked R1 and absolutely hated R2 (as in, probably one of the worst FPS i've ever played), would R3 be worth my time?

I think so. IMHO, R3 is better than R1 in game mood and overall feel. Gameplay wise, I like R1's simplicity, but R3 is very very good too.

Just finished Superhuman playthrough.

The last third of the game is definitely the best, the last few big encounters were great on Superhuman, very tense battles!

For those interested, here is the list of the MP map variants and the modes you can find them in. Each variant is tied to the specific mode listed.

Trainyard (Bogota):
Breach: Night time
Chain Reaction: Dust storm

Prison (Republic of Chad): None

Main Street (Alice Springs Australia):
TDM: Dusty haze

Seaside (Wales):
CTF: Foggy
Breach: Sunny

Broadway (Times Square):
Deathmatch: Whiteout

Terraformer (Japan): None

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gotta try Bogota Breach.

Kudos to loudninja for playing the campaign with me and helping to find all the journals.
Also i would pay good money for a SP expansion...

Carbonox

Fersis said:
Gotta try Bogota Breach.

Kudos to loudninja for playing the campaign with me and helping to find all the journals.

I would pay good money for a proper Resistance 3.
/troll

In other news, I completed the story just now. Uh huh...

It's a cute ending for Cino (Capelli in name only) but otherwise
cements the overall plot of this game as complete and utter garbage. The credits suggest humanity starts to get the upper hand and can begin to function normally again. However, to rectify the sheer laziness that went in to this game's story progression, there NEEDS to be a Resistance 4 to bring the series full circle and showcase humanity's push-back against the Chimera, which in turn would lead in to what is shown in the post cards. This would be done via re-establishing the world's armies, probably instigated by the global resistance fighter groups. The Chimeran vaccine would start to be distributed as well. How the fuck they completely ignored this major point as well as many others, I will never know. Still, Resistance 4 has the potential to be a real solid ending to the series. Resistance 3 will never be it.

My rating? 6/10

Gameplay can be fun and there are some nice cinematic moments and set pieces. That's all the game had for me.

Ashes

Banned
Woh, the story dropped half the game's value! Tough video game critic. I can respect that.

Did you like either of the two earlier games?

Carbonox

Ashes1396 said:
Woh, the story dropped half the game's value! Tough video game critic. I can respect that.

Did you like either of the two earlier games?

Oddly enough, the world Insomniac created in this franchise is the primary reason why I even bothered getting in to it.

Resistance Fall of Man is a great game. A solid shooter with a very interesting and thought-out story.

Resistance 2 again is a great game. Some parts are off but its multiplayer was immensely addicting and the story felt like a proper progression. Some interesting characters and the ending really implied that the series will explode with the next entry. Will the Pure Chimera arrive and really fuck shit up? Will we see the Cloven change the direction of the war in whoever's favour? So many questions, so much that could be addressed in the future.

A lot more interesting backstories and intel in these games as well. The games also didn't throw some of the most important plot points in the series in to measly files like Resistance 3 did, which completely ruined any continuity and escalation.

I've honestly never been so angry with a game for as long as I can remember. Well, not since DmC's announcement but that's a different scenario. LOL

Loudninja

Fersis said:
Gotta try Bogota Breach.

No problem man, you have all of them now?

Ashes

Banned
@Carbonox_Ratchet : Good grief! :p

I'd rather we have Resistance 3 part 2 this gen, rather than have to wait 3 + years for resistance 4 on a new console.

Did you finish the game under seven hours?

Carbonox

Ashes1396 said:
@Carbonox_Ratchet : Good grief! :p

I'd rather we have Resistance 3 part 2 this gen, rather than have to wait 3 + years for resistance 4 on a new console.

Did you finish the game under seven hours?

I'm probably going to be quite happy if whoever develops the next mainline title takes a couple of years. I don't trust Insomniac with it anymore and luckily they are likely moving on from the franchise. Someone fresh will be a blessing IMO. Insomniac clearly seem like they didn't give a shit and were happy to throw this and All 4 One out so they can cradle their baby Overstrike. You know, being major players in gaming now they're multiplatform devs and all...:lol

Uh, just under 8 hours was the time it showed me in the menu. I'd imagine including cutscenes and deaths it would be around 10? Still, the game is horrendously short. Another point knocked off for that.

I guess it doesn't help that I jumped straight in to this after playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and finding that one of the best games of the year...

I just finished the campaign.

7.5/10

I think it's better than R2's for sure, but almost anything could have been.

Not bad for 6 bucks (redbox rental).

P.S.
The Vietnamese in the ending credits is ... spoken with a pretty bad accent.

Ashes

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I'm probably going to be quite happy if whoever develops the next mainline title takes a couple of years. I don't trust Insomniac with it anymore and luckily they are likely moving on from the franchise. Someone fresh will be a blessing IMO. Insomniac clearly seem like they didn't give a shit and were happy to throw this and All 4 One out so they can cradle their baby Overstrike. You know, being major players in gaming now they're multiplatform devs and all...:lol

Uh, just under 8 hours was the time it showed me in the menu. I'd imagine including cutscenes and deaths it would be around 10? Still, the game is horrendously short. Another point knocked off for that.

I guess it doesn't help that I jumped straight in to this after playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and finding that one of the best games of the year...

Well you have your opinions man, and if people don't like em, let them find a way to deal with it. Stick with it :p

I, on the other hand, think this is one of my favourite games of the year. I played it once with my brother, and then a second time with my sister, who really likes this game as well.

She hardly plays any games so it's to the credibility of the game that she is loving it.

Online Multiplayer doesn't work well enough for me yet; and to be honest, I find that aspect boring; but the single player game, for me, is so awesome. Insomniac really went outdid them selves in level design; all but eliminating bottle necks; you virtually never die over and over again, in the first 19 levels.

Plus the return of the weapon wheel was really cool. I think they have to rework the health packs... Though I never actually suffered, I really like automated recovering health, on some basic level, even if it were Resistance 1 ish.

Jam screens really need to die a violent death!!!!!

MrPliskin

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:

Was gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just ignore your comments, but this is fucking absurd. Typical GAF BS I suppose.

Carbonox

Ashes1396 said:
Well you have your opinions man, and if people don't like em, let them find a way to deal with it. Stick with it :p

I, on the other hand, think this is one of my favourite games of the year. I played it once with my brother, and then a second time with my sister, who really likes this game as well.

She hardly plays any games so it's to the credibility of the game that she is loving it.

Online Multiplayer doesn't work well enough for me yet; and to be honest, I find that aspect boring; but the single player game, for me, is so awesome. Insomniac really went outdid them selves in level design; all but eliminating bottle necks; you virtually never die over and over again, in the first 19 levels.

Plus the return of the weapon wheel was really cool. I think they have to rework the health packs... Though I never actually suffered, I really like automated recovering health, on some basic level, even if it were Resistance 1 ish.

Jam screens really need to die a violent death!!!!!

Yah I liked the return of the weapon wheel. Definitely something that was missing from Resistance 2 in a big way.

Level design was decent, for sure. My only problem with this though was that some parts dragged and there was a lot of repetitive spaces (especially dark indoor sections which were rather common). The lack of enemy variation really highlighted a lot of this.

MrPliskin said:
Was gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just ignore your comments, but this is fucking absurd. Typical GAF BS I suppose.

I might be slightly sarcastic with that comment but I do find some truth to it. I felt that Resistance 3 was a half-finished product. I don't need to explain myself with that again.

Ratchet & Clank All 4 One also does nothing for me and I'm a huge Ratchet fan. All 4 One has yet to be shown as anything but some small-scale co-op title with very little variety. Just about everything shown so far has been shallow rinse-and-repeat content. I personally wanted a new mainline title ala A Crack in Time (which is my fav platformer on the PS3). This just feels like some party spin-off meant to be played with mates, with very little depth. We'll see once the game is released though. It just doesn't look promising. Any story-focused trailer looked downright silly and gives off a stench of tacked-on ideas.

Insomniac only have Overstrike left to really show for themselves in terms of new games. Two loveable franchises aren't being best represented with their latest entries for me.

MrPliskin

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I might be slightly sarcastic with that comment but I do find some truth to it. I felt that Resistance 3 was a half-finished product. I don't need to explain myself with that again.

Ratchet & Clank All 4 One also does nothing for me and I'm a huge Ratchet fan. All 4 One has yet to be shown as anything but some small-scale co-op title with very little variety. Just about everything shown so far has been shallow rinse-and-repeat content. I personally wanted a new mainline title ala A Crack in Time (which is my fav platformer on the PS3). This just feels like some party spin-off meant to be played with mates, with very little depth. We'll see once the game is released though. It just doesn't look promising. Any story-focused trailer looked downright silly and gives off a stench of tacked-on ideas.

Insomniac only have Overstrike left to really show for themselves in terms of new games. Two loveable franchises aren't being best represented with their latest entries for me.

But what title ISN'T rinse and repeat? Every game we play is rinse and repeat by virtue of their genre, offering slight variance in how you approach any given situation. That's a cop out. Maybe it's not your type of experience, or what you're looking for, but to say that they simply don't give a shit and are cashing in so they can move on? That's a stretch if I've ever heard one.

I get that R3 MP is a mess, and it's inexcusable, but half finished? Maybe they didn't tell the story you want, or take it in the direction you wanted, but it's hardly a cash in.

Note: I'm defensive because I love the studio to death, and have met with a lot of the guy's at the studio and talked about their games. They have a real passion for what they're working on, even if you don't find it to be what you're looking for.

Carbonox

MrPliskin said:
Note: I'm defensive because I love the studio to death, and have met with a lot of the guy's at the studio and talked about their games. They have a real passion for what they're working on, even if you don't find it to be what you're looking for.

That's good to hear. I am/was a huge Insomniac fan, putting them probably as my numero uno developer in the industry at one point. Had so much love for them. Only Capcom hogs as much space as they do on my shelf.

They've said that they probably won't develop Resistance 4. IMHO I believe this desire and the lack of certain aspects of Resistance 3 ended up overlapping at some point. Not that they weren't passionate but that maybe at some point they became bored (for lack of a better term) with what they were working on, or didn't feel passionate in some areas (plot development, characters, etc.) as they did in others (level design, production values, set pieces, solid gameplay).

I dunno. Either way I WILL be keeping an eye on Overstrike. It's their number one focus and if it has the potential to be their new flagship title/series then an Insomniac with such an ambition will only be good for the industry and their fans.

highrider

Banned
man i think the r3 campaign is the best one by far. i loved rfom, but it hasn't aged well for me and i tend to look at it with rose colored glasses because i didn't play much else when i first got my ps3. r2 wasn't shit by any means, but it was kind of weak. this is much more replayable imo.

highrider

Banned
i like the enemy super weapons cheat. changes the game quite a bit when random chimera have marksman and augers. they spam turrets.. fuckers!

MrPliskin

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
They've said that they probably won't develop Resistance 4.

I don't think they said that. I think they said at present time, it's not in the cards. Just like Resistance 3 probably wasn't immediately in the cards after Resistance 2, etc. It's out of their hands. If Sony isn't willing to push the franchise further, then Insomniac doesn't have a say in weather they make it or not.

I think it's clear from Sony's treatment of the Vita title that they don't really value Resistance as an IP, and it could very well be "done". Handing it over to the studio doing the Vita version say's that pretty clearly, to me.

Either way, I hardly think you should hold the opinion that they don't care about their work, or that they simply wanted to push it out of the way to be done with it. That's far from the truth, and not really a fair opinion, I think.

Loudninja

MrPliskin said:
I don't think they said that. I think they said at present time, it's not in the cards. Just like Resistance 3 probably wasn't immediately in the cards after Resistance 2, etc. It's out of their hands. If Sony isn't willing to push the franchise further, then Insomniac doesn't have a say in weather they make it or not.

I think it's clear from Sony's treatment of the Vita title that they don't really value Resistance as an IP, and it could very well be "done". Handing it over to the studio doing the Vita version say's that pretty clearly, to me.

Either way, I hardly think you should hold the opinion that they don't care about their work, or that they simply wanted to push it out of the way to be done with it. That's far from the truth, and not really a fair opinion, I think.
Naw you really cant say that, you might as will say the same thing abut Uncharted than.They are working on 2 other games, their plates are full right now.

Ashes

Banned
I'm pretty sure Sony measure brand value. And if anything Resistance's brand suffered a blow on gaf and other online communities. With this version, it seems to be up again.
Most, though, not all, seem to really be up for another Resistance.

I don't know about others but I'm in for round 4.

patsu

Yap ! Other than the known issues, I love R3. Been finding time to play it almost everyday.

I think what Marcus Smith said was Insomniac was not slated to do R4 yet. He could see other developers implement the next game since a few are already doing portable versions. Don't think they have concluded anything yet. e.g. CoD is implemented by 2 alternating teams.

MrPliskin

Banned
Loudninja said:
Naw you really cant say that, you might as will say the same thing abut Uncharted than.They are working on 2 other games, their plates are full right now.

Well, I'd argue that the caliber of developer is considerably different. Sony Bend has done some really amazing work with Syphon Filter and Resistance: Retribution.

Nihilistic Software, on the other hand...well... =\

Edit: To be clear, I'm not arguing that Sony should have had IG do it, rather, they shouldn't have handed it off to a developer with zero promise of making a decent Resistance title.

Ashes

Banned
You could also argue that Sony really wanted Resistance as a launch game to show what the Vita can do for FPS. And Sony Bend were doing Uncharted so...

Does it not look then? I've not paid much attention.

Ashes1396 said:
You could also argue that Sony really wanted Resistance as a launch game to show what the Vita can do for FPS. And Sony Bend were doing Uncharted so...

Does it not look then? I've not paid much attention.

I don't think it's a launch game.

VanWinkle

My fiancee and I are playing this game on co-op splitscreen and we're loving it. She wasn't a big fan of the series before but we are both highly enjoying it.

Massa

I wonder what the new TDM cap will be. Matches went on for way too long before the change, I hope they don't just return it to that.

Beta was perfect with 10k.

MrPliskin

Banned
Massa said:
I wonder what the new TDM cap will be. Matches went on for way too long before the change, I hope they don't just return it to that.

Beta was perfect with 10k.

Agreed, hopefully that's what they're looking at doing.

patsu

Have they rebooted the server to reset the TDM max score ?

After firmware 3.72 patch and R3 1.03 fix, the game seems to run smoother now. Patch 1.03 didn't fix the stuttering for me, but after 3.72, the stuttering is much less severe now. I am not sure if it's session specific. Will play more to find out.

I'm on a high speed office network in California by the way, PS3 is connected via ethernet cable.

EDIT: I'm playing Patch 1.03 for the first time tonight.

Ok, finally good news, after firmware 3.72 (and something in the server side of Insomniac I imagine) the stuttering and lag is far less severe, in fact I've been able to get K/D ratios > 1.5 and my first killstreaks of +9 kills. And people fall down so fast to my bullets lol. Like Patsu, I have to play more, but anyway it's and improvement. Now bring patch 1.04 to correct ADS with Move, and it'll be perfect!

PD And the fixed the TDM score, btw

FeD.nL

Just played 2 games, I didn't had any problems with lag before apart from the occasional stutter, now every game is laggy, people teleporting etc. etc. Playing on a 40 gig unit.

glaurung

Got the game last night, stuffed it into the machine and before I could even blink, three hours had passed.

Delved a good chunk into the single player, reached the first Ravager (dude with the Atomizer) fight.

The graphics do not wow me in terms of textures or geometry, but they come together very good. Getting used to a fixed health bar took some time, but I got back there. Very good level design, excellent enemy mobility and plenty of thrilling action.

Minor quibble: the achievement progress indicators (e.g. The Gardener 1/100) do not seem to pop up as often as I'd like. I experienced that I would see them the first time I did something, I would probably see the notification with the progress bar and number display shortly after that and then it would not pop up again until I earned the trophy itself. Seems like a glitch. I also managed to fall through the floor in single player and die.

I also jumped into the multiplayer last night, immediately met a new map that was not in the beta (some high-tech Breach Chimera compound where you had to destroy or defend certain objects). No lag, very responsive weaponry and I managed to grab a lot of ribbons already the first time around. Got quite a few double kill ribbons and streaks too (for those that do not know: I am not a very good FPS player, CoD MP games are horrible for me, BFBC2 is better, but only as a support/medic class).

One way or the other, R3 is a great game for me. I will definitely push through the single player, maybe try to go for platinum, but I will estimate that after the first playthrough.

Question: when you die in single player, do you keep your weapon experience that you have earned up to that death?

glaurung said:
Question: when you die in single player, do you keep your weapon experience that you have earned up to that death?

Yep.

In reply to your other points, not only is the data tracking a bit glitchy, some of the trophies are damn right broken. Not only are some broken, the balancing is way off too. Trophies like "Bouncer" are an utter pain in the ass to unlock, whereas other (bronze) trophies are really easy.

After playing it through twice with only the two co-op trophies remaining, I am still disappointed with the game overall. It feels like they've looked at other FPSs and just taken sections out and copied them. The only part of R3 which seems different and fresh to the genre and their own is the weapon leveling mechanic which has been done nicely.

It's got a good few set pieces towards the latter half of the game, but the rest of the game I didn't really feel excited about. I didn't care at all about the characters or story (I felt no attachment to them) and the ending, whilst quite enjoyable felt a bit flat compared to how other games have done it. The train section was much more engaging and exciting than the end sequence. Anyways, I can see most people are loving it and it got generally very good reviews so I guess I am in the minority here!

Onto Gears now...

Top Bottom