• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

MrPliskin

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
Finished building my base, now it's just upgrades upgrades upgrades in GR. Phew.

Played couple of rounds of R3MP and when it wasn't lagging it was very enjoyable exept for DM which is a total cluster fuck when Rossmore is so damn powerful. Split screen online also worked fairly well despite some large frame drops every now and then but it's understandable

In GR, I find it's best to specialize. i.e. decide if you're going to build Shields and Troops, or Bunker busters and bombs. Also, the sooner you invest in the building perks, the better. Once you're done building, it's all just running missions over and over again.

Tried to get some more games in last night but the game is running worse for me than it has before. I had 2 total freezes and several cases of it putting me in a game that ended seconds after I joined. I'll try again tonight. I really want to get some more levels before the weekend gets here.

Also, did they half the kill count of Team death matches? if so why why why?! The matched feel way too short now. It seems like a very odd choice to make.

MrPliskin

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Tried to get some more games in last night but the game is running worse for me than it has before. I had 2 total freezes and several cases of it putting me in a game that ended seconds after I joined. I'll try again tonight. I really want to get some more levels before the weekend gets here.

Also, did they half the kill count of Team death matches? if so why why why?! The matched feel way too short now. It seems like a very odd choice to make.

They used to be unlimited (you could essentially get 200 kills while the other team had 60, etc). Now it ends when the first team hits 10,000 points. Prior to this, there was a bug that ended them at 5K.

Basically, it's the way it was in the beta, at present.

We should play man, I'll keep an eye on my FL to see when you hop on.

patsu

BobTheFork said:

Did you play before or after firmware 3.72 update ?

MrPliskin said:
In GR, I find it's best to specialize. i.e. decide if you're going to build Shields and Troops, or Bunker busters and bombs. Also, the sooner you invest in the building perks, the better. Once you're done building, it's all just running missions over and over again.
Yeah, I though so too. Currently I am going with 2/2/2 Bunker/BB/Bomb buildings, full set of CP/Barracs, Intel Tower and 3 Training Grounds, I'll see which does the best work (Bunker Busters seem to be easiest to get but enemies aren't placing enough bunkers, heh). And maybe I'll just focus on one+troops

Just finished campaign for the 1st time. Played through with the Move on hard difficulty.

As far as FPS'ers go, that was a great campaign. I really didn't care much at all for Res 1 & 2. Thought they were totally average and forgettable. In that sense, I'm quite surprised by how much I enjoyed Res 3. Done right.

One thing about the game that made me furious though, is the horrible way that ADS is implemented with Move controls. And the only reason that makes me furious is because the rest of the Move implementation is so damn good. Had they done the ADS right (like KZ3) this would have been a near-perfect Move shooter, set the new standard and would have easily dethroned KZ3 as the king of move shooters.

The god-awful ADS issue is particularly annoying in Multiplayer since it limits you strictly to reticule aiming and makes certain weapons essentially useless. Too bad, as I could see myself putting serious time into the multiplayer with proper Move ADS controls.

Aside from that particular gripe, I have to commend Insomniac overall though. A very solid effort.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Loudninja said:
Yeah I seeming people say the firmware update did improve the performance of the game for them.

A bit maybe, for me. Still stutters/big framedrops whenever someone shoot and hit me. Have no chance to counter. :\

Don't think it's my connection. Fiber, 100/100. Downloaded and installed the big patches in just a few minutes so good connection to PSN.

Bradach

LowEndTorque said:
Just finished campaign for the 1st time. Played through with the Move on hard difficulty.

As far as FPS'ers go, that was a great campaign. I really didn't care much at all for Res 1 & 2. Thought they were totally average and forgettable. In that sense, I'm quite surprised by how much I enjoyed Res 3. Done right.

One thing about the game that made me furious though, is the horrible way that ADS is implemented with Move controls. And the only reason that makes me furious is because the rest of the Move implementation is so damn good. Had they done the ADS right (like KZ3) this would have been a near-perfect Move shooter, set the new standard and would have easily dethroned KZ3 as the king of move shooters.

The god-awful ADS issue is particularly annoying in Multiplayer since it limits you strictly to reticule aiming and makes certain weapons essentially useless. Too bad, as I could see myself putting serious time into the multiplayer with proper Move ADS controls.

Aside from that particular gripe, I have to commend Insomniac overall though. A very solid effort.
Couldn't agree more. In the SP campaign i sort of quickscoped into ADS by pointing at the target from the hip then L1 and fire. That got me through the parts of the game where you needed to snipe etc. Guerilla set the bar with KZ3 move controls, and as you say Insomniac improved on them slightly with camera movememt and overall smoothness but for them to f'up ADS like that is confusing at best. I hope they don't just tweak the current ADS with the upcoming patch, they need to completely change it and anything less than the KZ3 system is just not good enough!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bradach said:
I hope they don't just tweak the current ADS with the upcoming patch, they need to completely change it and anything less than the KZ3 system is just not good enough!

Yep, they are changing it. They are not simply tweaking current implementation sensitivity.

Interesting to read the negative reactions to their ADS implementation tho. I agree it's not ideal and that it does feel unresponsive, but the fun thing is that all it did to me was the opposite of what it did to most. That is, it made things all too easy. The camera assist is so strong settling sight on enemy feels almost automatic/lock-on style.

glaurung

I booted up the game last night when I had a free 30m and I wanted to test the new wireless 7.1 headset. The headset is awesome.

The game - not so much. I am talking about multiplayer here. Yesterday I got into matches that all had at least a few level 40+ players, running around with ice guns atomizers and rocket launchers. It was a massacre. The worst was team deathmatch, where the enemies simply blindfired rockets and auger shots into the spawn area, killing people without even trying. It was ridiculous. The only kills the lower level players with their default carbines and bullseyes and shotguns got in were from sheer luck or simply tossing grenades into the places from where the opposition kept campfiring into the flock.

This is complete shite. More evidence of that: a high level enemy managed to blow himself up by mistake (grenade + bubble shield) and so I ran over and grabbed his atomizer. I could then go on a killing streak of 7-8, because nobody could apparently stop me.

The weapons balance is terrible. If you are not level 50 by now, you will be dominated in MP for ever and ever and ever. Your progress will slow to a crawl. No level ups means no new weapons or rank unlocks. No new weapons means you will be dominated and slaughtered even more. Since you only get your puny one grenade and a peashooter that does squat, you won't even be able to learn the maps - you will be killed seconds within spawning.

Fuck this.

I am level 6 and I am level 6 only because I bought the special edition that comes with a free level 5 boost.

amar212

I started a new campaign the other day and one change shocked me.

Apparently, one of the updates removed the beautiful headless lady laying on the kitchen floor of the building prior to the exit at the area where you fight Chimeras in the crops-filed on the very beginning of the first chapter.

Only evidence of her previous existence is blood stain left on the linoleum where her exposed neck was bleeding out.

I am very disappointed, her corpse there was a very nice detail.

spats

amar212 said:

Apparently, one of the updates removed the beautiful headless lady laying on the kitchen floor of the building prior to the exit at the area where you fight Chimeras in the crops-filed on the very beginning of the first chapter.

Only evidence of her previous existence is blood stain left on the linoleum where her exposed neck was bleeding out.

The hell? That was a pretty impactful detail. Shame IG bowed out.

amar212 said:

Hmm? I thought it was there when I was playing yesterday

Effect

I think I'm done with the multiplayer. Overall just not having that much fun with it. Managed to get up to level 16 so far. I don't mind the unlocking system or the leveling system but the maps just don't make this that much fun to me. The speed at which some Chain Reaction games can end is just stupid. Not sure how that can be fixed other then perhaps making it so points can't be capture for a several seconds after the last one was captured. Maybe that can stop one side from rushing to a victory. Have had games by the time I've spawned into the match we are easily on our way to defending our last beacon. Perhaps no beacons should be captured at the start. That could slow down things down as well.

Never played R1 or R2 online but at this moment I think this is series where I don't care about the online. At least with the current developer in place due to how it current feels and how maps/modes are designed.

Might run through the single player again if they are changing some of the Move controls.

MrPliskin

Banned
amar212 said:

I don't think she was headless.

Might have just been a bug.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
glaurung said:
I booted up the game last night when I had a free 30m and I wanted to test the new wireless 7.1 headset. The headset is awesome.

The game - not so much. I am talking about multiplayer here. Yesterday I got into matches that all had at least a few level 40+ players, running around with ice guns atomizers and rocket launchers. It was a massacre. The worst was team deathmatch, where the enemies simply blindfired rockets and auger shots into the spawn area, killing people without even trying. It was ridiculous. The only kills the lower level players with their default carbines and bullseyes and shotguns got in were from sheer luck or simply tossing grenades into the places from where the opposition kept campfiring into the flock.

This is complete shite. More evidence of that: a high level enemy managed to blow himself up by mistake (grenade + bubble shield) and so I ran over and grabbed his atomizer. I could then go on a killing streak of 7-8, because nobody could apparently stop me.

The weapons balance is terrible. If you are not level 50 by now, you will be dominated in MP for ever and ever and ever. Your progress will slow to a crawl. No level ups means no new weapons or rank unlocks. No new weapons means you will be dominated and slaughtered even more. Since you only get your puny one grenade and a peashooter that does squat, you won't even be able to learn the maps - you will be killed seconds within spawning.

Fuck this.

I am level 6 and I am level 6 only because I bought the special edition that comes with a free level 5 boost.

we have a fix for this coming so you'll start off against players of your own level

Good god Atomizer is so overpowered and so is Rossmore at least on the deathmatch playlist. Spawns are pretty much fucked up in Deathmatch too. I also found a bug(?) on the playlist, there is an empty spot and you'll always end up in the same game because no one is selecting that mode. Get 15 friends and scorewhore until you are lvl 60 times 10 heh.

glaurung said:

Fuck this.

Mmm of course I think the multiplayer is a little unbalanced primary by the Atomizer, but I think your post is a little extreme. In a few days I've managed to reach level 25, somes matches are frustrating (like all mp shooters), other not so much, but if you only leveled from 5 to 6 maybe yo play.. one, two matches? Give the mp another chance, it's not that unbalanced.

MrPliskin said:
They used to be unlimited (you could essentially get 200 kills while the other team had 60, etc). Now it ends when the first team hits 10,000 points. Prior to this, there was a bug that ended them at 5K.

Basically, it's the way it was in the beta, at present.

We should play man, I'll keep an eye on my FL to see when you hop on.
Well I remember the games going to 10k and I thought it was after the game came out. This was money I noticed the 5k games so I wasn't on the new firmware yet. I'll be on more tonight, I don't have to go on call!

Cornbread78

I can't wait to actually get some play time in the game. gettign on so late at night sucks big time, I need to really have "that talk" with my wife... Jumped into a game and it froze after a 3 kill streak. I logged off MP and played more SP as the freezes in MW2 are what caused my HD to fry a couple years ago.... Hopefully everything stabilizes soon..

Loudninja

Patch 1.4:
Improve the move controls for ADM

TBA:
Patch to play against people of the same level
Leapers tone down

Thats all we know so far.

darkwing

PetriP-TNT said:
Good god Atomizer is so overpowered and so is Rossmore at least on the deathmatch playlist. Spawns are pretty much fucked up in Deathmatch too. I also found a bug(?) on the playlist, there is an empty spot and you'll always end up in the same game because no one is selecting that mode. Get 15 friends and scorewhore until you are lvl 60 times 10 heh.

although the atomizer isn't much use in an open area

Spayro

Just bought the game and noticed the Network Pass thingy.. I have a european (region 2) copy but use the US store, should I be worried or can I unbox the damn thing?

Spayro said:
Just bought the game and noticed the Network Pass thingy.. I have a european (region 2) copy but use the US store, should I be worried or can I unbox the damn thing?
If you have an American account, log in into your US account. The code will work. I had the same issue, but it got solved when i made a UK account.

darkwing said:
although the atomizer isn't much use in an open area
The problem is that most of the objectives are in narrow corridors, there really aren't that many open areas in the end. It absolutely dominates pretty much any mode. It should be a super weapon for killstreaks like the grenade launcher, not a regular piece you spawn with every time imho.

Won 7 skirmishes in a row, thanks Melchiah and others haha!

darkwing

PetriP-TNT said:
The problem is that most of the objectives are in narrow corridors, there really aren't that many open areas in the end. It absolutely dominates pretty much any mode. It should be a super weapon for killstreaks like the grenade launcher, not a regular piece you spawn with every time imho.

Won 7 skirmishes in a row, thanks Melchiah and others haha!

sadly this is true, its a real room cleaner lol in team deathmatch though where there is no objective it doesn't affect the match as much as the wildfire

Melchiah

There seems to be a bug in Global Resistance. When I logged in with my PSN account , instead of FB account, it automatically changed the language to Finnish, and it won't change it back to English from the profile settings. It's quite annoying to be forced to play with awfully implemented Finnish texts, without the scandic letters.

Melchiah said:
There seems to be a bug in Global Resistance. When I logged in with my PSN account , instead of FB account, it automatically changed the language to Finnish, and it won't change it back to English from the profile settings. It's quite annoying to be forced to play with awfully implemented Finnish texts, without the scandic letters.
Your PS3 is in english right? Maybe it checks the IP or something, I just had a bug in GR where one mission was in spanish

MrPliskin

Banned
Does anyone know if DLC will carry across accounts? i.e. if I download skins from a UK account if they'll work when I log into my NA account?

Melchiah

PetriP-TNT said:
Your PS3 is in english right? Maybe it checks the IP or something, I just had a bug in GR where one mission was in spanish

Yes, I've selected English in the PS3 system settings, as some games default to Finnish audio otherwise, and the dubs are always horrible. Plus I've grown accustomed to using English.

I presume the GR site sets it according to your nationality, when you log with PSN account, but the odd thing is that the option to change the language in profile settings doesn't seem to work. If I try to change it to English, it just goes back to Finnish when I click 'save settings'. =/

Thrakier

Finally played the demo.

GFX are ok, effects are nice, framerate is as low as the resolution, looks quite muddy. Atmosphere overall is nice, though feels kinda "stiff", like in "scripted". Whatever, maybe that's just the demo. Is it old code?

But in all seriousness: HOW on earth could they fuck up the move controls so hard? Why not just copy & paste the KZ3 system? This is some serious bullshit. While actually playing is ok (although worse than KZ3) they relly suck all the atmosphere out of the game with that huge ass crosshair and that weird weapon perspecitve. It just looks dumb, like some playmobile shooter or arcade machine or whatever. Horrible.

Now, this means I can't play the game with move. I really don't like playing shooters with controller after KZ3 though. The bad move implementation makes me using the controller though and therefore I'll just fly through it sometimes in the future just for the story and the experience. I'll buy very cheap or used. Completly disappointed.

Thrakier said:
Finally played the demo.

GFX are ok, effects are nice, framerate is as low as the resolution, looks quite muddy. Atmosphere overall is nice, though feels kinda "stiff", like in "scripted". Whatever, maybe that's just the demo. Is it old code?

But in all seriousness: HOW on earth could they fuck up the move controls so hard? Why not just copy & paste the KZ3 system? This is some serious bullshit. While actually playing is ok (although worse than KZ3) they relly suck all the atmosphere out of the game with that huge ass crosshair and that weird weapon perspecitve. It just looks dumb, like some playmobile shooter or arcade machine or whatever. Horrible.

Now, this means I can't play the game with move. I really don't like playing shooters with controller after KZ3 though. The bad move implementation makes me using the controller though and therefore I'll just fly through it sometimes in the future just for the story and the experience. I'll buy very cheap or used. Completly disappointed.

While I agree that the reticule is a little too big (an option to customize reticules or give a few options to choose from would be awesome), I completely disagree that " they totally fucked up the move controls hard." I breezed through the game on hard difficulty with the move and had no problems at all. Not sure why you think you "can't play the game with the move now"?

The only serious problem with the move controls is the ADS implementation. But when it comes to camera controls, deadzones and so on, Res 3 actually controls even better than KZ3 IMO.

On another topic: I got into the multiplayer a bit. The Atomizer absolutely needs to be nerfed. That thing has the potential to completely destroy what might otherwise be fun matches. Terrible. It should be a killstreak reward with limited ammo.

The Rossmore is perfect as it is. It is not overpowered for a shotgun, and does not need any changing at all.

Those little creatures that jump at you are completely un-neccesary. I don't see the point of them at all.

I've also been experiencing drastic framerate drops, and sometimes complete freezing for a few seconds. (post patch)

JB1981

amar212 said:

Wow are you serious? I remember being surprised that something so grisly was in the game but it was appropriate given the context. Insomniac should make a statement as to why it was removed because that's bullshit

Edit -- oh wait they didn't actually remove the lady ? You are saying she was headless and now is not? Dont believe she was ever headless

Melchiah

Thrakier said:
Haven, the one they were showing early on, with that big monster thingy at the end.

Ah, kinda obvious choice, as they've shown gameplay material about it before, and probably didn't want to spoil some surprises later on.

Thrakier

LowEndTorque said:
While I agree that the reticule is a little too big (an option to customize reticules or give a few options to choose from would be awesome), I completely disagree that " they totally fucked up the move controls hard." I breezed through the game on hard difficulty with the move and had no problems at all. Not sure why you think you "can't play the game with the move now"?

Like I said, it plays ok with move, not as good as KZ3, but ok. The big problem is for me how it hurts the overall atmosphere. The reticule is not "a little too big" - it's gigantic. A little monster for itself. Also I really dislike the weapon perspective. It's eating up most of the weapon model, which hurts the atmosphere imo as well. ADS is another major fuck up but it'll get fixed so it's fine. While it still plays better with move, it looks ten times more dumb. A game which is so much about immersion and atmosphere like R3...sorry, I can't stand those decisions.

amar212 said:

What? Not updating. MP means nothing to me anyway.

Explain JS....

Himself

amar212 said:

Can anyone confirm this? If so, what's the deal Insomniac?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I was wondering if that PSN pass thing that comes with the game is for use with Resistance 3 only, or is it like a blanket pass that covers you for all PSN online games for a set amount of time?

ShinUltramanJ said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I was wondering if that PSN pass thing that comes with the game is for use with Resistance 3 only, or is it like a blanket pass that covers you for all PSN online games for a set amount of time?
Interesting question but to my knowledge its just for R3.

Top Bottom