• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Tieno

I'm at the 3rd last level of the game and it's feeling like a chore. I don't feel like the environments are that interesting and the checkpoints coupled with the health system sometimes make the game too frustrating. Often when I die and I see they put me all the way back to a certain spot I just quit. Usually though when I replay those parts it goes faster. Instead of being hard and fun, it can sometimes be just hard.

I do still like the gun-play and that gives it its unique vibe. But the sequal needs more interesting environments and better checkpoints.

Angelcurio

Finally finished the single player campaign. It was awesome, and the ending was nice as well.

Well guys, see you all tonight. I hope the PSN doesnt keep kicking me out like last week.

Aeon712

I'll be on at around 12 EST which is when most people are getting off :(. 11 Arc Charger kills or bust though so I'll prob stay on till I get them.

Kittonwy

Banned
43ef1d0c46abc.jpg

RISE AND SHINE SOLDIER!!! TONIGHT WE DINE IN... GAME BATTLE!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SATURDAY NIGHT!!! GET ON THAT BANGBUS BABEE, IT'S TIME TO ROLL!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST..

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF NA Clan-leader, PM your details)

Clan roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

FightyF

Banned
Tieno said:
I'm at the 3rd last level of the game and it's feeling like a chore. I don't feel like the environments are that interesting and the checkpoints coupled with the health system sometimes make the game too frustrating. Often when I die and I see they put me all the way back to a certain spot I just quit. Usually though when I replay those parts it goes faster. Instead of being hard and fun, it can sometimes be just hard.

I do still like the gun-play and that gives it its unique vibe. But the sequal needs more interesting environments and better checkpoints.

It's been said millions of times but things get better after the 6th level or so.

I haven't been able to play lately, might be on for a little while tonight...maybe.

Have you guys been able to play more Assault matches?

sutdawg

Fight for Freeform said:

Assualt what is that, some type of multiplayer game? :lol

Oh wait! I remember, I think I played Assualt a couple of weeks ago when the Insomniac guys were on!!!

It's been a while since I've played an assualt game.

Tieno

Fight for Freeform said:
It's been said millions of times but things get better after the 6th level or so.

I haven't been able to play lately, might be on for a little while tonight...maybe.

3rd last level. I've now finished the game.

sutdawg

Aeon712 said:
We had some fun games tonight, managed to get a party of 5 (6 people were on total). Saturday night nobody is allowed to take the arc charger so I can get 11kills with it to earn my medal.

It was fun last night, the Philly Chapter of the GAF Clan(me, Aeon and efertlis) held our own in those first couple of games, last night! Even though I got a Network error during that last game, they did give me my sniper medal.. "tears".

FightyF

Banned
Tieno said:
3rd last level. I've now finished the game.

My apologies. :)

I really wish you could specifically choose what ranked modes you want to play. I mean...why not?

If they wanted to keep things random...then just make the odds that you'll play Assault, 1/4, rather than the current 1/1,000,000 chance they have right now.

I said it before and I'll say it again...once Warhawk and UT 2007 comes out...I'm probably going to drop Resistance. It was great that Insomniac came out with a patch with the Assault gamemode to keep things fresh, but what's the point if we can't play it ranked?

Let's see if these guys really read GAF. :)

klix108

Anyone know if its possible to make it so I can hear people talking even if I don't have a headset? Couldn't find the option.

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I've already planned tomorrow's roll call theme, it will be awesome. Much better than tonight's.
angry.gif

Hahaha... :)

I hope we kick ass like last meet up (tuesday). BTW, I may not be on at 9:00 p.m., but should be there at 10:00 p.m. (EST).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Fight for Freeform said:
My apologies. :)

I really wish you could specifically choose what ranked modes you want to play. I mean...why not?

If they wanted to keep things random...then just make the odds that you'll play Assault, 1/4, rather than the current 1/1,000,000 chance they have right now.

I said it before and I'll say it again...once Warhawk and UT 2007 comes out...I'm probably going to drop Resistance. It was great that Insomniac came out with a patch with the Assault gamemode to keep things fresh, but what's the point if we can't play it ranked?

Let's see if these guys really read GAF. :)

So I've actually asked about this, the code uses the random generator and Assault is just as likely as the other game types, provided you do have a party of 16-17+ people. A sole person for ranked games is very unlikely to get Assault.

However, they were going to look into the random number generator on the Sony server and see if something wacky was going on with it because we have seen reports similar to yours.

JS

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jstevenson said:
So I've actually asked about this, the code uses the random generator and Assault is just as likely as the other game types, provided you do have a party of 16-17+ people. A sole person for ranked games is very unlikely to get Assault.

However, they were going to look into the random number generator on the Sony server and see if something wacky was going on with it because we have seen reports similar to yours.

JS

when i played more frequently it seemed like 80% of the time we got Meltdown. it got really annoying to me :(

FightyF

Banned
jstevenson said:

JS

Wow, that was lightening quick! Impressive!

I do think it's something that should be looked into. Meltdown, Breach, and Assault are unique exclusive teamplay modes that competing games don't offer. Combined with the 40 player online capacity feature, and the massively large levels, it's a gametype that I see few games ever duplicating. And so to have a gametype like Assault only being experienced once in a blue moon, doesn't help. I'm glad that it's being looked into.

I can see why a sole person would not be matched into Assault games, as it requires a lot of teamwork and such...it makes sense. But I do think that when people join Ranked Team Games...that they do expect to play as a team, and the entire playerbase is getting better and more adept and being able to play as a team with strangers. I'm not arguing Insomniac's reasonable stance on matchmaking sole players...but I'm just trying to add some insight.

Thanks js!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Fight for Freeform said:
Wow, that was lightening quick! Impressive!

I do think it's something that should be looked into. Meltdown, Breach, and Assault are unique exclusive teamplay modes that competing games don't offer. Combined with the 40 player online capacity feature, and the massively large levels, it's a gametype that I see few games ever duplicating. And so to have a gametype like Assault only being experienced once in a blue moon, doesn't help. I'm glad that it's being looked into.

I can see why a sole person would not be matched into Assault games, as it requires a lot of teamwork and such...it makes sense. But I do think that when people join Ranked Team Games...that they do expect to play as a team, and the entire playerbase is getting better and more adept and being able to play as a team with strangers. I'm not arguing Insomniac's reasonable stance on matchmaking sole players...but I'm just trying to add some insight.

Thanks js!

Eh ya know, I saw the JS GAF summon in the sky and I felt compelled to pull my laptop out :D. I'll bring it up again on Monday and see what I can find out.

Always willing to listen to you guys' thoughts on things, we want the game to stay fresh and to be fun, and if there are some issues preventing that, it's definitely something we want to know about.

I'd totally jump on tonight if my internet wasn't down, I'm bumming off my neighbor's weak wireless signal at the moment.

The Jer

jstevenson said:
Eh ya know, I saw the JS GAF summon in the sky and I felt compelled to pull my laptop out :D. I'll bring it up again on Monday and see what I can find out.

Always willing to listen to you guys' thoughts on things, we want the game to stay fresh and to be fun, and if there are some issues preventing that, it's definitely something we want to know about.

I'd totally jump on tonight if my internet wasn't down, I'm bumming off my neighbor's weak wireless signal at the moment.

You're giving us an open invitation to whine?
You may want to be careful with that. :)

JB1981

i can't even sign into PSN tonight. my internet and Xbox Live are both fine, though, so I'm assuming it's a pretty widespread problem?

Aeon712

Operation we don't care if we win or lose as long as Aeon gets his Arc Charger medal was a success :).

Also me and M3 played till 3am just now, was funny when we got into one game we were against a huge clan and we got to hear the whining about how big the clan is and that we should all just quit. Was all Gaf reversed.

Greg

Aeon712 said:
Also me and M3 played till 3am just now, was funny when we got into one game we were against a huge clan and we got to hear the whining about how big the clan is and that we should all just quit. Was all Gaf reversed.
Damnit, I was out until 1 and was too lazy to turn my PS3 on because I figured everyone would be offline by that time.

classes are ruining my fun right now - it has been a week since I've played my PS3...

Aeon712

Greg said:
Damnit, I was out until 1 and was too lazy to turn my PS3 on because I figured everyone would be offline by that time.

classes are ruining my fun right now - it has been a week since I've played my PS3...
We could've used you, too many people on our team were camping the laark/sniper spawn points instead of helping us. The final game we played was a cat n mouse round was really fun that we managed to pull it off with me and M3 actually out sniping a team.

Greg

Well, I'll be on next week for sure - I need to dust off the 'ol sixaxis and play me some PS3.

3 more weeks until finals...:D

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:

JS

We've had sevearl clan meet ups where we have had a full house, but we still don't get Assault.

The sadness:

- We hardly ever get Breach now. Vast majority of ranked team objective games are Meltdown, and I'd 66% of the time they're on Somerset.
- Ranked team deathmatch is on Somerset about 50% of the time (estimate).
- the Nottingham map doesn't come up much anymore - for anything team related.
- we're mostely playing on Somerset and Grimbsy for team objective and team deathmatch games
- as a party, we've never, ever played Team Conversion. Not once.
- we've had two Assault games, I think. Maybe three.

You know what really proves something is broken? We play as a clan, in a party, three nights a week. It's the same thing every single time we play.

The random number generator is complete broken.

We had two Breach games tonight, which was nice because we usually don't get them.

Aeon712

M3 you are still up, go to sleep I have an excuse since I'm pumped full of Full Throttle. Maybe I'll try some more Super Human. I refuse to download a save file for the Ops skin.

Forsete

I've asked this before and never got a reply.

I'm playing Resistance PAL online and I've never seen any games in the Custom Game section (it says "No Games Found").. Are there none or is there something wrong on my end?

It finds Ranked Games, no problem (though, the most I've played against is about 12 people.).

Tieno

So I finished the game but I don't feel like I'm any wiser on what the nature of the chimera is. Did I not see important info?

I know they are/were trying cool down the environment so it'd be more habitable for them

Ceb

Forsete said:

I'm playing Resistance PAL online and I've never seen any games in the Custom Game section (it says "No Games Found").. Are there none or is there something wrong on my end?

It finds Ranked Games, no problem (though, the most I've played against is about 12 people.).

If you've NEVER found any custom games... something is definitely ****ed up. :(

S. L.

Forsete said:

try looking at evening/night
during the day there rarely are custom games on euro servers

Remy

jstevenson, while you're here, I had a question...

Why is it that CTF can be played on maps that go up to the 40 person sizes, yet the games are always capped at 16 players?

Forsete

Ceb said:
If you've NEVER found any custom games... something is definitely ****ed up. :(

Yep.. Its solved now though.. The primary language for multiplayer was set to Swedish. When I changed it to english it started finding servers. Very odd, bugg?

Kittonwy

Banned
vengencekitty.jpg

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! NONE SHALL STAND IN TEH WAY OF TEH WEDGE OF GAF!!!
Indifferent2.gif

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party. ^_^

ResClan.gif

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

Recently updated with news, including the new ban policy, please visit and read.

The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. (If you can't figure it out, PM Remy.)

If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

Thanks!

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
M3 you are still up, go to sleep I have an excuse since I'm pumped full of Full Throttle. Maybe I'll try some more Super Human. I refuse to download a save file for the Ops skin.

I can't belive I want to bed so late, and still managed to wake up at 8:30 a.m. That sucked large. Saturday nights from now on end at 1:00 p.m. latest.

On a brighter note, my K/D ratio didn't take too bad of a beating last - thankfully. Mine is at .898, and still climbing. I should 1:1 some time soon.

The Jer

Remy said:
jstevenson, while you're here, I had a question...

Why is it that CTF can be played on maps that go up to the 40 person sizes, yet the games are always capped at 16 players?

I know, I'm not JS, but I'm gonna put in my two cents. :)
CTF games with more than 16 players would be no fun. The game would never end. If there were a time limit, the game would likely end with a score of zero for both teams. It would be near impossible to take/capture a flag. I think a CTF game with a large number of people would be frustrating, not fun. I wouldn't want to enter a ranked game and be put into a CTF game with lots of people. I don't know why there is a cap on the amount of people in CTF games, but I don't think I'd like if I ended up in one.

I believe I am in the middle of the game right now.

I really like this game so far, I sometimes get the feeling I am playing Halo, especially the level with the jeep.

The cutscenes are great, but they are brief.
This is what I really don't understand, you have the storage space of a Bluray disc and then you are telling the story by artwork and a narrator.

But still, great game, great graphics and lots of fun.

The Jer said:
I know, I'm not JS, but I'm gonna put in my two cents. :)
CTF games with more than 16 players would be no fun. The game would never end. If there were a time limit, the game would likely end with a score of zero for both teams. It would be near impossible to take/capture a flag. I think a CTF game with a large number of people would be frustrating, not fun. I wouldn't want to enter a ranked game and be put into a CTF game with lots of people. I don't know why there is a cap on the amount of people in CTF games, but I don't think I'd like if I ended up in one.

Absolutely agreed.

And whoever decided that one hit kills could be paired with CTF needs to be shot. It's ridiculous if you have decent players at all.

JB1981

Forsete said:

wow, in the states, an ANY GAME search like that will bring you like 100 different custom game rooms. i guess no one's playing this game online in europe? ..........

klix108

Master Chieftec said:
This is what I really don't understand, you have the storage space of a Bluray disc and then you are telling the story by artwork and a narrator.

I think they did that because they had to rush the game since it was a launch title.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bumped for new page.
Indifferent2.gif

vengencekitty.jpg

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

SUNDAY NIGHT!!! NONE SHALL STAND IN TEH WAY OF TEH WEDGE OF GAF!!!
Indifferent2.gif

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

ResistanceGAF00.jpg

For all the Noobs

TO JOIN:

ResClan.gif

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

[NEW] CLAN PAGE!!!

A great addition

explainedCat3.gif

Hey all-

Thanks!

Top Bottom