• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Forsete

JB1981 said:
wow, in the states, an ANY GAME search like that will bring you like 100 different custom game rooms. i guess no one's playing this game online in europe? ..........

The problem was found and fixed. It had something to do with the game searching for servers in my native language. A bug perhaps? I selected English instead of Swedish and it found a ton of servers.

So I finally got to play 40 player TDM.. great fun. :D
This really is the best console multiplayer game out there.

M3Freak

Banned
JB1981 said:
wow, in the states, an ANY GAME search like that will bring you like 100 different custom game rooms. i guess no one's playing this game online in europe? ..........

same here, in canada.

Tieno

Master Chieftec said:
I believe I am in the middle of the game right now.

I really like this game so far, I sometimes get the feeling I am playing Halo, especially the level with the jeep.

The cutscenes are great, but they are brief.
This is what I really don't understand, you have the storage space of a Bluray disc and then you are telling the story by artwork and a narrator.

But still, great game, great graphics and lots of fun.
I'm not that fond of the way they're telling the story through black and white artwork and a voice over. It seem such an underuse of the medium. I guess it's easier to tell a lot of what's going on through a voice over. But maybe they just didn't have the time (or money?) for fully animated cutscenes seeing as it's a launch game. I do think that the game gets interrupted way too much, this becomes even more apparant because the cutscenes are so radically different (no full motion, black and white) than the actual game.

I'm going for a second run through the game on the same difficulty (medium) and I'm having a lot of fun. So far I've blazed through the first ten levels but it's fun. I'm making much more use of the guns and grenades and different tactics. I know what to do, I'm used to the sixaxis with fps and it doesn't get frustrating like it sometimes did on the first run. The newly available backlash grenade is awesome!

Raist

Banned
Forsete said:
I've asked this before and never got a reply.

I'm playing Resistance PAL online and I've never seen any games in the Custom Game section (it says "No Games Found").. Are there none or is there something wrong on my end?

It finds Ranked Games, no problem (though, the most I've played against is about 12 people.).

I've noticed a bug in the online settings. I don't remember where exactly, but you have the possibility to set the primary and secondary languages that you use, with also the option to filter games by languages, so that it matches your primary choice.

If the option to filter games by language is set to no, it will still filter them

I've discovered this accidentally, because when i started playing I didn't check all those options, and the languages were set to english for primary and system for secondary (I'm french).

When I saw these options, I changed the primary language to french WITHOUT changing the filter option (set by default on "no"). Then I went ingame in custom games, and there was like 5 or 6 games running.

So maybe you have the same problem and should change the primary language to english (I don't know if setting the filter to "yes" would actually disable it), becuase there's usually 50+ custom gamse running on the european servers.

Forsete

Raist said:
I've noticed a bug in the online settings. I don't remember where exactly, but you have the possibility to set the primary and secondary languages that you use, with also the option to filter games by languages, so that it matches your primary choice.

If the option to filter games by language is set to no, it will still filter them

I've discovered this accidentally, because when i started playing I didn't check all those options, and the languages were set to english for primary and system for secondary (I'm french).

When I saw these options, I changed the primary language to french WITHOUT changing the filter option (set by default on "no"). Then I went ingame in custom games, and there was like 5 or 6 games running.

So maybe you have the same problem and should change the primary language to english (I don't know if setting the filter to "yes" would actually disable it), becuase there's usually 50+ custom gamse running on the european servers.

Yep that was the problem. Its solved now, thanks. :D
Insomniac, you should fix this.. Like Raist said, even if the filter option is set to no (mine was aswell) it still filters. :/

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Forsete said:
The problem was found and fixed. It had something to do with the game searching for servers in my native language. A bug perhaps? I selected English instead of Swedish and it found a ton of servers.

So I finally got to play 40 player TDM.. great fun. :D
This really is the best console multiplayer game out there.

Yeah... the language filter option was taken out of the online mp options, but it was left in the offline mp options menu and it causes that. We are aware of it though.

Kittonwy

Banned
Clan night starts in an hour, eh.
Indifferent2.gif

Tieno said:
I'm not that fond of the way they're telling the story through black and white artwork and a voice over. It seem such an underuse of the medium. I guess it's easier to tell a lot of what's going on through a voice over. But maybe they just didn't have the time (or money?) for fully animated cutscenes seeing as it's a launch game. I do think that the game gets interrupted way too much, this becomes even more apparant because the cutscenes are so radically different (no full motion, black and white) than the actual game.

I'm going for a second run through the game on the same difficulty (medium) and I'm having a lot of fun. So far I've blazed through the first ten levels but it's fun. I'm making much more use of the guns and grenades and different tactics. I know what to do, I'm used to the sixaxis with fps and it doesn't get frustrating like it sometimes did on the first run. The newly available backlash grenade is awesome!

Run back through at Hard. It's even more awesome. Tough, but great.

Kittonwy said:

NeoGAF Resistance Clan Manatee Tacos

INGREDIENTS
1 pound Manatee meat, PWNED! and cut into 1-inch pieces, or just blasted w/ a shotty
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (1.25 ounce) package HijoDelLocoRoco® Brand Taco Seasoning Mix, divided
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Click's® Extra Bitter Lime Juice
1 package (12) HijoDelLocoRoco® Brand Taco Shells, warmed

DIRECTIONS
-While using Kittonwy as a human shield, COMBINE sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix in small bowl or helmet.
-COMBINE Manateez meatz, vegetable oil, lemon juice and remaining seasoning mix in medium bowl or British helmet; pour into large skillet.
-COOK, stirring constantly, (melee attack) over medium-high heat Dragon or Arc Charger 4 to 5 minutes or until Manateez meatz0rs flakes easily when tested with fork. (Arc Charger Note: Let Aeon do this or he'll complain that he's never going to get his medal)
-FILL taco shells with PWNED Manatee mixture. Top with cabbage, tomato and sour cream mixture, lime juice and taco sauce.
-TELL noobs to check their headset and/or stop breathing.
-KNOW that Click is disappointed with your team's performance. You are better than this.

2ef2mmb.jpg

Aeon712

Me and M3 played some games earlier and were completely wrecking teams. Half of my company just left so I'll be on as soon as I put my clothes in the washing machine. And I have to get off early since my boss called and I do in fact have to work at 7am :(.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Me and M3 played some games earlier and were completely wrecking teams. Half of my company just left so I'll be on as soon as I put my clothes in the washing machine. And I have to get off early since my boss called and I do in fact have to work at 7am :(.

Same with me, I got called to work on monday, I hate working on mondays.
angry.gif

Just finished the single player game (started yesterday), and man what a great game.

Kudos to all from Insomniac that put together such a well polished launch title. Its a game that started off pretty good, and just kept getting better all the way until the end.

I think i'll have to check out the online multiplayer out next later this week.

The Jer

Core407 said:
The analog stick placement just on the Sixaxis kills it for me.

I know what you mean. I can't stand using the staggered sticks on the X-Box controllers. It's not that I don't like the controller or think that one controller is better than the other. But, I am used to one controller and not the other. So, I can totally understand wanting to use the controller that you are used to.

I don't think it would provide you with an unfair advantage, though. Rather, I think it would put you on the same playing field, since everyone would be using pads they are used to. And I don't think either pad offers a distinct advantage over the other. I feel like I'm at a distinct disadvantage when I play X-Box games with my friends, since I'm not used to the controller. I think being able to use a controller I'm used to would make it closer to even.

P.S. I don't think I'll be on tonight....

Core407

Banned
The Jer said:
I know what you mean. I can't stand using the staggered sticks on the X-Box controllers. It's not that I don't like the controller or think that one controller is better than the other. But, I am used to one controller and not the other. So, I can totally understand wanting to use the controller that you are used to.

I don't think it would provide you with an unfair advantage, though. Rather, I think it would put you on the same playing field, since everyone would be using pads they are used to. And I don't think either pad offers a distinct advantage over the other. I feel like I'm at a distinct disadvantage when I play X-Box games with my friends, since I'm not used to the controller. I think being able to use a controller I'm used to would make it closer to even.

P.S. I don't think I'll be on tonight....

Most likely you're right. I'm just excited over the idea of me using my favorite pad on a very awesome system and game.

FightyF

Banned
The Jer said:
I know, I'm not JS, but I'm gonna put in my two cents. :)
CTF games with more than 16 players would be no fun. The game would never end. If there were a time limit, the game would likely end with a score of zero for both teams. It would be near impossible to take/capture a flag. I think a CTF game with a large number of people would be frustrating, not fun. I wouldn't want to enter a ranked game and be put into a CTF game with lots of people. I don't know why there is a cap on the amount of people in CTF games, but I don't think I'd like if I ended up in one.

I agree.

But with a few tweaks, you can make it one awesome game-mode with 40 players. If it was 1 way CTF, and the flag would stay where it fell for one minute (unless it was picked up again), can be a very awesome 40 player mode. I made this mode for Halo 2 and every single match was exciting. It was basically absolute mayhem and a war of attrition at each point the flag fell on the map.

I'm not saying that this should happen for Resistance, I'm just saying that with some tweaking CTF can be made fun for large scale games.

evolution

Just finished this game a couple days ago. Great game, especially the last half. Some of the levels were crazy hard, many times i said to myself, "how the hell am i going to beat this." I died so many times, but it kept pulling me back in. I rarely finish games anymore, but this one I just couldn't stop playing.

I've started playing online too, but I have no headset, is there any way to hear the voice chat sound through my speakers?

evolution said:
Just finished this game a couple days ago. Great game, especially the last half. Some of the levels were crazy hard, many times i said to myself, "how the hell am i going to beat this." I died so many times, but it kept pulling me back in. I rarely finish games anymore, but this one I just couldn't stop playing.

I've started playing online too, but I have no headset, is there any way to hear the voice chat sound through my speakers?

Yea i know what you mean about not being able to stop playing. These days its been harder and harder for me to finish games, or go on long gaming binges. But i started the game yesterday and solved it today. Very addictive and the right amount of challenge.

Do you have a SOCOM headset? That will work with the game

Kittonwy

Banned
evolution said:

Yes, just go to option and set your headphone output to your speakers.

patsu

M3Freak said:
Ya, that CTF game after Aeon and a few other guys left was a lot of fun. It's a shame we can't play it more often.

Yap ! I forgot who shot the Auger wielding Chimera for me on the way back. Thanks !

Aeon712

Kittonwy said:
I'm teh KILLING MACHINE!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Well, maybe 25% killing machine 75% human shield.
Indifferent2.gif

CTF was awesome.
Indifferent2.gif
That game before I left where you had like a 3-1 ratio had me like oh snap Kitton is owning :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Had some solo free-for-all games last night and man do I love Conversion. The idea of playing your second life as a chimera is genius on so many levels. It's your last chance, but you got that special see-through-walls ability to even up things. Ending up being one of the last two players is so scaring and exciting.

Also, I have to say that I'm really starting to like deathmatches (solo or team based). I'm more of a SOCOM guy rather than a UT/Quake one, but this mode is growing on me in Resistance for whatever reason. Maybe it's the quick thinking strategy associated with different weapons usage, I dunno, but I really love to play in this mode more than I ever did in any other FPS.

Anyway, I've got two questions about the two new incoming maps.

- Will they come in different "configurations" to accomodate different numbers of players (like an 8 players version, a 16 one or a 40 one)?
- Will they be free? :p

One last thing. Could Insomniac tell us something about the Home Trophies? Will they patch the game so hat we can show stuff in the Hall of Fame room? You know, I'm trying to get all those medals for a reason.... :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ceb said:
I also love Conversion (and Team Conversion). It's a shame that games rarely pop up....

There is also Team Conversion? In Ranked Games? How many players need to be in the party to get that? I only got it in solo games.

Aeon712

I actually hate Ranked Conversion when I'm free for alling, it becomes a camp fest. Just yesterday afternoon I was in one where I finished 8-2-3 and lost the round to a player that went 2-1-1 because he hid and took me out at the end after I was in a fight :(. I wish kills had more of an impact on your total score instead of who can hide the longest.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Aeon712 said:
I actually hate Ranked Conversion when I'm free for alling, it becomes a camp fest. Just yesterday afternoon I was in one where I finished 8-2-3 and lost the round to a player that went 2-1-1 because he hid and took me out at the end after I was in a fight :(. I wish kills had more of an impact on your total score instead of who can hide the longest.

Well, no one can hide from a Chimera... I have no prob finding the last guy (especially in small maps like the subway). Besides, staying out of an on-going fight just to jump in and kill the survivor is part of the strategy.

The Jer

TTP said:
Anyway, I've got two questions about the two new incoming maps.

- Will they come in different "configurations" to accomodate different numbers of players (like an 8 players version, a 16 one or a 40 one)?
- Will they be free? :p

Ted Price said:
All multiplayer game types are available on both maps

James Stevenson said:
they are 40-player maps and scale down as well

So the new maps are like the Manchester, Somerset, Grimsby, and Nottingham maps we have now. So, with all the different "configurations" it seems like we would be getting a lot of maps, IMO (If they are as diverse as, say, Grimsby).

The maps will not be free.

Aeon712

TTP said:
Well, no one can hide from a Chimera... I have no prob finding the last guy (especially in small maps like the subway). Besides, staying out of an on-going fight just to jump in and kill the survivor is part of the strategy.
I wasn't upset that he killed me after a fight just the fact that his stats were second to last and yet he won the round while I cleaned up many of the other players. People play differently, I rather be out there fighting then waiting for others to die so Conversion doesn't suit my play style.

sun-drop

i'm buying this in the next couple days after a solid rental over the weekend, i'm in NZ .. but i can get a over seas version (i'm assuming the US version as the guy said the manual was in english) ... but is there any differences to th local version (ie PAL) ... last i heard it was a global disc and it just goes off the region settings of yr ps3 or something? is this right?

i'll have no problems playing on NZ/AUs servers with maybe a US copy of the game?

The Jer

TTP said:
IS this 100% confirmed? :/

Not that I mind paying, but I'm afraid they wont be so popular...

Either Ted Price or Peter Kao said that during an interview with IGN, where both of them were present.

patsu

Aeon712 said:
I wasn't upset that he killed me after a fight just the fact that his stats were second to last and yet he won the round while I cleaned up many of the other players. People play differently, I rather be out there fighting then waiting for others to die so Conversion doesn't suit my play style.

Yeah that s*cks, but I don't think he can win consistently using that technique though.

I hated Conversion initially, especially the sit out, but I think it's a different way to play the game based on long ranged attack, stealth and/or defense. I looked at how Akanen Ningen played the game and man, the way he peeked around corners and sneaked undercover is amazing.

Luck (where you spawn) plays a larger factor too in Conversion. Nonetheless I am happy that less aggressive players get to win sometimes too -- even if by luck :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
patsu said:
I looked at how Akanen Ningen played the game and man, the way he peeked around corners and sneaked undercover is amazing.

Oh yesss. Me likes stealth kills :p

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
Yeah that s*cks, but I don't think he can win consistently using that technique though.

I hated Conversion initially, especially the sit out, but I think it's a different way to play the game based on long ranged attack, stealth and/or defense. I looked at how Akanen Ningen played the game and man, the way he peeked around corners and sneaked undercover is amazing.

Luck (where you spawn) plays a larger factor too in Conversion. Nonetheless I am happy that less aggressive players get to win sometimes too -- even if by luck :)

You need to be lucky to be good and good to be lucky, I'm neither but that's not my point obviously.
angry.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Stop talking about Resistance! You're making me want to play!

I may be moving my business to a part-time thing and getting a full time job. That basically means my Tuesday night meet ups are going to be cut down to maybe one or two hours, tops. Me = cry when that happens.

I'll still have Saturday and Sundays though. YES!

Anyway....

Dear Aeon,

Perhaps it's not that you don't like Conversion. Maybe Conversion doesn't like you. Or maybe you just suck. Hard. Very, very, very hard.

Your Pal,

m3freak

Ceb

What the hell? I just did the pain-in-the-ass requirements for the "Vanilla Only, Please" skill, but I didn't get it. I definitely didn't use any grenades, and I'm certain that I didn't accidentally nudge the secondary fire button either.
angry.gif

Aeon712

M3Freak said:
Dear Aeon,

Perhaps it's not that you don't like Conversion. Maybe Conversion doesn't like you. Or maybe you just suck. Hard. Very, very, very hard.

Your Pal,

m3freak
Dude lmao, when I read that at work I started cracking up and then everyone realized I wasn't actually working and made some for me :(.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So we had another discussion today about the ranked games selector. Basically if you are playing with less than 17 players in a party, the chances of getting Meltdown are very high, as you might get put into a 32-player map, and those don't allow Breach or Assault.

As it stands, we think that may be causing the issues with you guys getting a lot of Meltdown. If you guys want to document the number of players in the party and what modes/maps you're getting and send them my way - having data wouldn't hurt.

MP has got some ideas to try and improve the rate of Breach and Meltdown games, though.

And as always, your feedback is appreciated and taken seriously :)

JS

sutdawg

Kittonwy said:
CTF was awesome.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah CTF was really fun last night... I have to thank Aeon for leaving when he did last night or we probably would not have gotten that great game of CTF(the very next game we played after he left)! Thanks Aeon!!! :lol

Top Bottom