• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Raistlin

AltogetherAndrews said:
928399_111206_screen058.jpg

The art style on some of the levels ... and especially this one ... reminds me of a real-time version of the original 2D Oddworld games.

And I mean that in a REALLY good way!

Agent X

Doom_Bringer said:
these new pics look awesome!

Yes, the screens that GameSpot just added are really beautiful. They've got a lot more of them there, too. Check out the old soda machine!

928399_111206_screen020.jpg

Those are Gamespots caps? My how times have changed since back when the PS2 launched you couldn't find worse caps on the net than Gamespots.

J-Rzez

Onix said:
The art style on some of the levels ... and especially this one ... reminds me of a real-time version of the original 2D Oddworld games.

I agree whole-heartedly... The art direction of some (most?) of the environments is awesome! Reality from that time meets sci-fi with a dash of Comics/Anime... The whole cross-reality stuff is really cool looking... I can't wait to see this Friday on my own personal TV :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Onix said:

I agree.

Despite being very impressed with Gears, I still think Resistance looks incredibly good in its own way. Technically speaking, things are more even than I thought. Prior to release, I had expected Gears to offer a fully unified lighting model (early demos featured it), but the final game does not. Same deal with Resistance.

Resistance seems to be pushing more geometry detail overall, but with less complex texturing and a very different look.

Wow, those new screens are impressive. I don't remember the game looking this good, the enviorments are realy impressive.

Keep those poly-deprived normal mapping junkies outta here.
Come the **** on. The character models in GOW look great.

BamYouHaveAids said:
You're just being cynical. You can count the number of games with better character models on one hand.

Which only says something about how slow next gen games are coming along visually.

Raistlin

kevm3 said:
928399_111206_screen002.jpg

I wonder if you can shoot those tubes and watch the glass shatter.

That would be awesome.

And judging by the one that is in his cross-hair, some sort of larva alien will probably come out and attack you!!

Oh god ... it's a METROID!!!!

Raistlin

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Gears of War looks freakin' phenomenal. No need to downplay hard work and visual bars achieved by devs here.

I think some people are just upset that this game seems to not be getting recognition for its visuals.

While the style is vastly different (and many would say subdued, or at least not as in your face as GoW), it seems to be an impressive technical achievement.

kevm3

Gears of Wars is a short, tightly packed and intense experience, both gameplay vise and visually.

Resistance seems to be going for another approach with an expansive, more moderate/subdued approach to things.

Gears just jumps out at you graphically and makes you say wow from the getgo, while Resistance seems like one of those games that looks pretty good at the start and builds gradually. All of a sudden you just wonder, "When did this game start looking so good?"

Out of the two, Gears is the better looking title to most people, but Resistance is certainly no slouch. With that, I just ask if we can chill with the comparisons a bit? It takes the focus away from a great, upcoming game.

kevm3 said:
Gears of Wars is a short, tightly packed and intense experience, both gameplay vise and visually.

Resistance seems to be going for another approach with an expansive, more moderate/subdued approach to things.

Gears just jumps out at you graphically and makes you say wow from the getgo, while Resistance seems like one of those games that looks pretty good at the start and builds gradually. All of a sudden you just wonder, "When did this game start looking so good?"

Out of the two, Gears is the better looking title to most people, but Resistance is certainly no slouch. With that, I just ask if we can chill with the comparisons a bit? It takes the focus away from a great, upcoming game.

Very true, especially the last thing you mention. It's too hard to compare the games , they're just compeltely different gameplay experiences from what I've seen and played (I've only played GoW) so far.

Lyte Edge said:
Hey guys, have you heard anything about the Japanese version being censored? A friend told me he heard they removed "hero moments," but I have no idea what those are. As the Japanese version runs completely in English, it seems strange that anything would have been removed.

It's kind of difficult to say anything about health without spoiling the storyline, but basically after a certain point in the first level, your health meter will be segmented. Your health will automatically recharge, much like the shields in Halo, but only for whichever segment you currently have filled. Picking up health vials will refill more or all your health segments.

Wow, interesting. That's a good approach IMO.

if i had a ps3 i'd get this game for sure, but comparing ign reviews to GOW it seems that GOW is a better game. i will buy both for sure and make up my own mind, but for now, i'm calling that gow is better, I never would have thought that before, but it seems that gears of war will have higher overall reviews i bet.......

i know it's silly to compare graphics because gow has smaller areas and screams polish, whereas resistance has bigger areas, but i just watched some videos and resistance just doesn't seem all that great grahpically because they focused on bigger environments and stuff, the ps3 should be able to handle huge nevironments as well as gow like graphics if it is really more powerful than 360

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I wonder if you can shoot those tubes and watch the glass shatter.

first thing i tried when i saw them... you can't unfortunately.

It's too hard to compare the games , they're just compeltely different gameplay experiences from what I've seen and played (I've only played GoW) so far.

i've played nothing of Gears (i've actually seen nothing other than the Mad World trailer) and i'm bored of the comparisons already! Both seem to be great games, i don't see why one has to be a winner and one a loser (other than for the obvious reason).

contaygious said:
if i had a ps3 i'd get this game for sure, but comparing ign reviews to GOW it seems that GOW is a better game. i will buy both for sure and make up my own mind, but for now, i'm calling that gow is better, I never would have thought that before, but it seems that gears of war will have higher overall reviews i bet.......

i know it's silly to compare graphics because gow has smaller areas and screams polish, whereas resistance has bigger areas, but i just watched some videos and resistance just doesn't seem all that great grahpically because they focused on bigger environments and stuff, the ps3 should be able to handle huge nevironments as well as gow like graphics if it is really more powerful than 360

And the poop just keeps piling on. Can't you monkeys tell that it's done and over with? If you're comparing these games and throwing around these arguments now, then you missed the boat. Better get a ticket now for the next game showdown, yeah?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stop comparing Gears of War with Resistance already, jesus

Totally different games. Both games will be awesome and fun, end of story

SolidSnakex said:
It's too bad that the B&W cutscenes are just stills and turn to color before there's any movement

928399_111206_screen057.jpg

928399_111206_screen009.jpg

Such a cool look.

Yeah, thought they would go with a stock video look as opposed to just still images. That would have been pretty sweet.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Moderation Unlimited said:
If the whole game had a filter like that...I think that would be fvckin' rock.
That would be cool. Like say as an unlockable, you can choose in say a "cheat menu" to enable the filter while playing the game. :)

Do it Insomniac! DLC make it happen! :eek:

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
i've played nothing of Gears
Good thing you haven't because apparently once you play Gears, you'll never want to play any other videogame ever again!

My copy should be arriving tomorrow but I'm thinking I should probably keep it wrapped until at least 2010 at which point I won't have to worry about missing out on the better parts of this gen thanks to GOWgoggles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support you have given us. As a small thank you, we wanted to make sure you guys saw this video first! This is the full hedgehog demo as given by Ted Price - recently recorded at Insomniac.

We're releasing it via YouTube, but wanted to ensure you guys knew it was up first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81UuRdz20EI

Enjoy!

JS

Andvary

jstevenson said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support you have given us. As a small thank you, we wanted to make sure you guys saw this video first! This is the full hedgehog demo as given by Ted Price - recently recorded at Insomniac.

We're releasing it via YouTube, but wanted to ensure you guys knew it was up first.

Enjoy!

JS

Thanks, watching now :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jstevenson, you guys wouldn't happen to be throwing that time-freeze debug mode in as a easter egg, would you? :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
kaching said:
jstevenson, you guys wouldn't happen to be throwing that time-freeze debug mode in as a easter egg, would you? :)

It'd be cool, but unfortunately no - the debug options got removed for memory purposes AND because that code would be bad to have in the game with multiplayer matches being so important as far as exploits go. We definitely want to promote a competitive and fair MP environment.

JS

Alias03

contaygious said:

uhmm....ye......yep... you just made me puke in my mouth a bit

Comparing GoW to Resistance is dumb. You guys really need to move on.

SilentHill said:

Haven't you learned yet? This is GAF. There is NEVER going to be any moving on going on around here. For some reason there always has to be a "console war." In fact, whoever coined that word sucks.

Timan

Developer
How are the controls on this? I've never played a fps on anything other than xbox/360.

Does the controller hold up well? I know its not the first fps on a sony console but one of the first that have got my attention...

Surreal

Timan said:
How are the controls on this? I've never played a fps on anything other than xbox/360.

Does the controller hold up well? I know its not the first fps on a sony console but one of the first that have got my attention...

Well, no one has complained about them yet, so they have to be decent at least.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:
It'd be cool, but unfortunately no - the debug options got removed for memory purposes AND because that code would be bad to have in the game with multiplayer matches being so important as far as exploits go. We definitely want to promote a competitive and fair MP environment.

JS

Very cool. Weapons are definitely more sophisticated than the standard arsenal out there.

Striek

jstevenson said:
Very cool demonstration, impressive tech - although it'd be better served in HD. Hard to make out the finer details that hes meant to be explaining on youtube.

SilentHill said:

Hehe go easy on him, according to his post history he's not trolling any other PS3 threads and to tell you the truth imo a troll is a repeated offender. Some people really can't see the difference between a game that has 40 models on screen in a huge enviroment with a ton of things happening at once and a game that can only has 8 models tops in confined enviroments. The games are simply not comparable, not to mention this is a Resistance thread not a PS3 vs X360 thread.

Striek said:
Very cool demonstration, impressive tech - although it'd be better served in HD. Hard to make out the finer details that hes meant to be explaining on youtube.

Exactly. We need this kind of vids in 720p not youtube quality. Anyway jstevenson thanks for the vid man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys. I'm playing through Resistance right now. I'm starting to find that encounters are wildly easier or harder depending on the weapon I decide to use. I've found some encounters vastly easier after switching weapons, and I even find that some weapons make the encounter nigh impossible.

Using the strengths of each weapon is pretty much required, and it's nice that every time you pick up a weapon, you get a short blurb about where it comes from, and how to use it.

My current favorite weapons:

1) Air Fuel Grenade. A sticky mine that spews flammable gas in a wide area, and then ignites. Very cool stuff.

2) Bullseye. I started a bit lukewarm on this gun, but as I got used to it, the more I loved it. You tag guys with L1, and then you can run back to cover and shoot around corners to hit them. Earlier in the game, I used it by tagging the weak spot on a Stalker (big four legged spider tank), and then fired wildly, confident that each shot would hit its target. VERY AWESOME.

3) L23 Fareye. Using L1, you "focus" allowing you to slow down time, making head shots that much easier. It's so gratifying to slow down time, land a head shot, and then dodge out of the way of fire as you see it slowly come towards you.

I'm having a great time with it :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bad_Boy said:
In other news......trying to avoid highlighting trin's spoilers. >_<'
friday can't come soon enough!

:lol

They're all early weapons, so it's not a huge deal if you read them. I just wanted to be safe.

EDIT: One thing I really really like, is the way they explain EVERYTHING, even why the health meter is the way it is. They factor it into the story. They explain what each item is, including health packs and such. It really draws you into the story that much more.

Tieno

SolidSnakex said:
It's too bad that the B&W cutscenes are just stills and turn to color before there's any movement

Such a cool look.
Wow, I've been thinking of a visual effect like that in my head for a while now. Kind of like you see this b&w picture, it starts moving and slowly you see it fill with color. (similar to the Venom suit stuff in spider-man). Is there a video where they show this off?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TheTrin said:
:lol

They're all early weapons, so it's not a huge deal if you read them. I just wanted to be safe.
:lol you broke me, I had to. It all sounds great, I really can't wait to play this. I'll be sure to post my PS ID so we can play some online sometime. :)

ram

jstevenson said:
Hey everyone,

Enjoy!

JS

the video is awesome, but i think, such a cool effect will be widely overlooked when playing the game.

Top Bottom