• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

patsu said:
Errr... good shit ?

How can you quantify having two completely different methods for entering ranked and unranked games, with the unranked/custom set-up being better than the ranked set-up as "good shit"? Why can't I apply the same search parameters in ranked games? Why is it that I'm randomly assigned to servers/matches? Why is it that when I want to play an objective based game I get jammed into these random nearly desserted servers? Why can't I choose from a server list, why can't I know how many people there are, what the map is, or what the objective mode is....in a ranked game. It's completely assinine.

I've tried the custom match set-up but there's fewer games to get into than in ranked. It's just irksome. I'm not really a fan of Deathmatch anything and prefer objective based games where you work with a team to steal a flag, capture a base, whatever. It's why I played games like Battlefield 1942, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source for years.

You know what, I don't care, I don't want to start an arguement in this thread because all it will do is derail the topic and it's not like bitching about it will make Insomniac magically fix it overnight. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of the match making stuff and I think I'll stick with playing Warhawk, Tekken: Dark Resurrection and Motorstorm for the interem as far as online PS3 games go.

djkimothy

jaundicejuice said:
How can you quantify having two completely different methods for entering ranked and unranked games, with the unranked/custom set-up being better than the ranked set-up as "good shit"? Why can't I apply the same search parameters in ranked games? Why is it that I'm randomly assigned to servers/matches? Why is it that when I want to play an objective based game I get jammed into these random nearly desserted servers? Why can't I choose from a server list, why can't I know how many people there are, what the map is, or what the objective mode is....in a ranked game. It's completely assinine.

I've tried the custom match set-up but there's fewer games to get into than in ranked. It's just irksome. I'm not really a fan of Deathmatch anything and prefer objective based games where you work with a team to steal a flag, capture a base, whatever. It's why I played games like Battlefield 1942, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source for years.

You know what, I don't care, I don't want to start an arguement in this thread because all it will do is derail the topic and it's not like bitching about it will make Insomniac magically fix it overnight. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan of the match making stuff and I think I'll stick with playing Warhawk, Tekken: Dark Resurrection and Motorstorm for the interem as far as online PS3 games go.

Ranked games are for people who want to play the game properly. Not this one shot kill sniper game. Custom games... anything goes, so you can pick and choose. BTW, there are still stat tracking for custom games, it just doesn't affect your rank

Sure for ranked games you can't choose to play an assault game, but it forces you to vary your game play and makes you an overall better player.

I'm not talking about using combat modifiers, I'm talking about being able to find a lively server in an objective based map in a ranked game. I just want to SEE what the map is, SEE how many people are in the game and CHOOSE the style of objective I want to play before I CHOOSE to join and not just get blindly shoved into some random game with few people where I'm bored shitless in five minutes.

Kittonwy

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I'm not talking about using combat modifiers, I'm talking about being able to find a lively server in an objective based map in a ranked game. I just want to SEE what the map is, SEE how many people are in the game and CHOOSE the style of objective I want to play before I CHOOSE to join and not just get blindly shoved into some random game with few people where I'm bored shitless in five minutes.

Just play ranked with a party of people you know. Seriously I don't want no "oh I'm in US East blahblahblah game shit it's locked what's the password now it's full" god damn bullshit, when I can get together with people I know and just go from game to game in a party whether I choose objective or TDM. The party aspect is just so much better in Resistance, it's all about playing with people you know against other people you don't know, it makes the team aspect so much stronger. The randomization of different objective game types keep the team versatile and be able to adapt to all the different objective game types. I can play Somerset assault all day and be good at it but it shouldn't count towards the stats because then I'm just being rated for doing something that I'm good at.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
What the hell kind of shit is that?

Because it's completely and utterly retarded to have LAARK or shotgun-only being counted towards official stats. It's fun to screw around with custom once in a while but playing custom shotty-only all the time is for dumbfucks, and having that count towards the official stats is fucking stupid.
Indifferent2.gif

That's completely out of context, I'm not talking about weapon modifiers and the like, I'm talking about being able to choo..., nevermind, I mean you've already replied to my clarified response.

Either way it doesn't matter, I doubt I'll be playing this much, it just doesn't gel with me.

Kittonwy

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Again, taken completely out of context, I mean you've already replied to my clarified response.

Either way it doesn't matter, I doubt I'll be playing this much, it just doesn't gel with me.

We have clan nights four nights a week, if you want to have fun playing objective or tdm then I would recommend that you join us for a few games. To be honest you're asking those of us who like playing together in a clan and in a party to give you tips on how to have fun playing on your own, and personally for me I wouldn't want to play the game or any game online that way.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

jaundicejuice said:
How can you quantify having two completely different methods for entering ranked and unranked games, with the unranked/custom set-up being better than the ranked set-up as "good shit"?

The system allocates players on-the-fly to a new game so players don't have to track server stats. It's easier (just press 1 button to join game).

If you want to play large games consistently, join a clan like GAF. The turn out will ensure you have larger games.

If you want smaller games, go alone or go with a smaller clan/group.

That way you don't have to worry about server specific issues or conjested servers. It's more clan/community/people centric rather than server centric.

As for custom games, a search is needed to find the right flavor for you. You can also spectate in these games if you want to.

The only thing I hope for is the ability to spectate a particular clan :)

Why can't I apply the same search parameters in ranked games? Why is it that I'm randomly assigned to servers/matches? Why is it that when I want to play an objective based game I get jammed into these random nearly desserted servers? Why can't I choose from a server list, why can't I know how many people there are, what the map is, or what the objective mode is....in a ranked game. It's completely assinine.

As you mentioned, there are MP FPSes that adopt server-centric setup. This is just not one of them. Have fun !

Madman

jaundicejuice said:

Uhhh, playing for fun sounds like a solid start to fixing this problem.

Aeon712 said:
I'm gonna have to deal with that statement the whole day :(. People turn against us so easily.

...I have no idea what you are talking about.

People are giving you Philly guys a hard time about the Eagles' loss?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

...oh well, maybe you could get online and do a little reading to take your mind off your football woes. After all, I've been reading a lot of websites this morning, and I'm in a great mood:

4palwd5.jpg
6af0byx.jpg

Yeah, articles like these would be good to read if you want to take your mind off the Eagles, Aeon. After all, none of these articles about league leaders even mention Donny McNabb...

Oh, and one more thing...

ROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMOROMO

tanod

when is my burrito
RE: Podcast

How about a progress report on when the map pack stuff is going to be integrated into ranked play? A lot of people paid good money for that map pack. I was hoping on hearing some more about where Resistance MP is going more than MyRes has a million posts. Not much of a community update. How about MyRes getting some new features or something?

Anyways, I need to listen to the podcast again because I was really distracted when I listened to it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
RE: Podcast

How about a progress report on when the map pack stuff is going to be integrated into ranked play? A lot of people paid good money for that map pack. I was hoping on hearing some more about where Resistance MP is going more than MyRes has a million posts. Not much of a community update. How about MyRes getting some new features or something?

Anyways, I need to listen to the podcast again because I was really distracted when I listened to it.

Yeah, sorry about that, I've been really focused on Ratchet....... buuuut...

we have a patch going out tomorrow to fix some collision bugs and some other general clean-up.

Regarding map pack integration all I can say is soon. Don't have a specific time, but soon.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
sorry I haven't been able to play, been working on a C# application (disgusting .net bullshit). it looks like I'm playing warhawk but it's actually my brother. I'm going through some tough times right now so I don't know when I'll be able to play again.

Thanks for being an awesome clan though.

sutdawg

Kittonwy said:
It's fun to screw around with custom once in a while
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah like last night when we had our battle for Party leader. I have to admit the Aeon Effect is not very scary.
AEON EFFECT FOR THE LOSS! :lol :lol :lol

careksims

jstevenson said:
Yeah, sorry about that, I've been really focused on Ratchet....... buuuut...

we have a patch going out tomorrow to fix some collision bugs and some other general clean-up.

Regarding map pack integration all I can say is soon. Don't have a specific time, but soon.

A patch!? Is it a nerf-the-shotgun patch!? Collision bugs you say? So it will fix stuff like when Aeon got totally stuck near the base last night?

Kittonwy

Banned
sutdawg said:
Yeah like last night when we had our battle for Party leader. I have to admit the Aeon Effect is not very scary.

Teh Aeon Effect faded when Aeon abandoned ship. 7 vs. 4 and they still lost lawlz.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

sutdawg said:
Pffft I never take GAF wars serious and you G.A.F guys are shotty/laark whores:lol.
careksims said:
A patch!? Is it a nerf-the-shotgun patch!? Collision bugs you say? So it will fix stuff like when Aeon got totally stuck near the base last night?
I was cracking up when the air vent undershot me and I landed behind the car with no granade to kill myself:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Pffft I never take GAF wars serious and you G.A.F guys are shotty/laark whores:lol.

I was cracking up when the air vent undershot me and I landed behind the car with no granade to kill myself:lol

No barrelz nearby? I heard you were stuck and it took awhile for you to free yourself.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

Kittonwy said:
No barrelz nearby? I heard you were stuck and it took awhile for you to free yourself.
Indifferent2.gif
Yea I kept hitting the car with my gun till the back doors fell off which gave me enough room to wiggle out :D

Kittonwy

Banned
7237699_192ded81e2.jpg

^^ HEY GUYZ IMA STUCK!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

RAWR!!!
angry.gif

Tonight is...

TUESDAY NIGHT!!!

WHEN STUCK SHOOT TEH BARRELZ RAWR!!!111!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight..

MEETUP TIMES:

Tuesdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Fridays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Saturdays 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Sundays 6pm PST/ 9pm EST

TO JOIN THE CLAN:

1) LOGIN to Resistance MP online at least one time.

2) LEAVE any clan you are in right now.

3) PM kaching on NEOGAF to get added to the clan roster.

4) WAIT a couple days for him to get back to you.

5) In the meantime if you want to play with the clan, send one of the gaffers a buddy invite (please tell him you are from gaf) so he can get you invited to the party.

SCHEDULED GAME UPDATES:

Worldwide servers and new maps in May.
Maps will cost money.

HEADSETS:

It would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link.

If you do not have a headset, you can at least set it up so that you can hear people without one. Set mic output settings to system default.

SOCOM and USB headsets compatible with PS2 work fine.

OTHER IMPORTANT PAGES:

Clan Roster: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw
Status of clan members and invites pending

Clan Blog: http://vjarmy.com/clangaf/
Clan Strategies and Tactics - MUST READ
The login is "gaf", and the password is a five-letter word starting with "w" that is frequently used within the clan. If you can't figure it out, PM Remy. If anyone wants rights to help contribute, please drop Remy a PM about that as well.

Official Website: RFOMps3.com
Cool Story Background details and hidden content.

Community Website: MyResistance.net
You can check your stats outside the game and the forums are full of tips and tricks. This is also where you go to report cheaters.

ChimNeoGAF.jpg
ResClan.gif

ONE OF OUR GROUP PHOTOS
ResistanceGAF05.jpg

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

The Wedge tactic explained:

The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

Message from IG:

Hey all-

Insomniac Games and Sony Computer Entertainment are happy to announce that we will be instituting a new ban policy for Resistance: Fall of Man online gameplay, effective immediately. Players may report cheaters using lag devices or using exploits to leave the intended playable area. Make a report by sending a private message to the MyResistance.Net "cheating" account (username: cheating). Cheating and the use of in-game exploits is not allowed in any game type, including custom and private games.

To enforce this policy we have in-game moderators documenting players who are involved in using, discovering, or sharing exploits with others. These moderators have the ability to join and observe any game or user in ranked, custom, or private games without the knowledge of the players in those games.

Initial bans for first-time offenders will be 24 hours. Bans will grow in length with each successive rules-violation, and attempts to circumvent a ban are grounds for an extension of it.

If you have questions, please feel free to post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Insomniac Games/Sony Computer Entertainment

M3Freak

Banned
Dear Insomniac,

Thanks for taking our money for the map packs. We really like not being able to properly play on those maps. They're so beautiful: we don't want to put our grimey digital foot prints all over them anyway.

If you have more map packs coming out, please consider doubling the price, and making the colour palette black and white. I think it would also be a good idea if any new maps also randomly crash our PS3s and erase our game saves.

If you're hurting for money, you can come by my house and steal from my daughter's piggy bank. She's only two years old, so she won't put up much of a fight. Besides, you're good at crushing people's expectations and good will, so who cares about a little baby's piggy bank, right?

Well, this letter is getting long. I'm going to play some more Map Pack Mayhem to remind me how money grows on trees.

Regards,

m3freak

M3Freak said:
Dear Insomniac,

Thanks for taking our money for the map packs. We really like not being able to properly play on those maps. They're so beautiful: we don't want to put our grimey digital foot prints all over them anyway.

If you have more map packs coming out, please consider doubling the price, and making the colour palette black and white. I think it would also be a good idea if any new maps also randomly crash our PS3s and erase our game saves.

If you're hurting for money, you can come by my house and steal from my daughter's piggy bank. She's only two years old, so she won't put up much of a fight. Besides, you're good at crushing people's expectations and good will, so who cares about a little baby's piggy bank, right?

Well, this letter is getting long. I'm going to play some more Map Pack Mayhem to remind me how money grows on trees.

Regards,

m3freak
Wow... whatever Aeon is charging you to be your speech writer is too much.

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Wow... whatever Aeon is charging you to be your speech writer is too much.

Hahah...I was a little ticked after playing the new maps with sutdawg, queeg, efertlis, and a couple of other guys last night. We had fun, but we could not get into a TDM, or anything else, besides a GAF on GAF free for all.

What made it worse was that after the second match, we all said F*CK THIS, and went back to the free maps. We actually sighed in relief.

sutdawg

M3Freak said:
What made it worse was that after the second match, we all said F*CK THIS, and went back to the free maps. We actually sighed in relief.

Wait a second, speak for yourself. My exact words were... "No more map pack games. I'm tired of killing M3." And I was thinking "Man M3 is complaining about his spawns more then Aeon in a Shotty whore house."

M3Freak said:
If you're hurting for money, you can come by my house and steal from my daughter's piggy bank. She's only two years old, so she won't put up much of a fight. Besides, you're good at crushing people's expectations and good will, so who cares about a little baby's piggy bank, right? m3freak
What is your address? Don't worry about directions, I'll just Map Quest them. :lol

Aeon712 said:
Haha, even I thought I hijacked his account.
I was in the middle of reading that rant and was like, man Aeon is really taking the Eagles loss hard.

Angelcurio

I hope that by the time the new maps are available for ranked games, the PSN are available in stores as well. From the whole GAF clan, i think that i am the only member without the maps, and thats thanks to Sony unwillingness of making the PSN cards or any other billing service available for online purchases.

M3Freak

Banned
sutdawg said:
Wait a second, speak for yourself. My exact words were... "No more map pack games. I'm tired of killing M3." And I was thinking "Man M3 is complaining about his spawns more then Aeon in a Shotty whore house."

Oh, yes, that's right. Well, someone said it was good to be done with. I was kind of happy to be back in a "normal" game, but at the same time, I did want to play on the new maps more.

If only we could get TDM on them more often, I'm sure we'd all be willing to play them. Oh well...

I was complaining about the spawns, but only because they did suck so bad. I kept repeating the same mistake trying to kill you, but that's different. Bad spawns can completely turn the tide, and last night I paid for it several times.

I have to stop complaining.

sutdawg said:
What is your address? Don't worry about directions, I'll just Map Quest them. :lol

Here you go:

994 tangoisforbitches rd
carbine, ontario
canadia
E3W 4F9

Firewire

Banned
Hey guys I joined the clan a couple weeks back, but I haven't played with you guys yet. What time will you guys be on? (I was on at 9:00est once but you guys were a no show) :(

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:
Hey guys I joined the clan a couple weeks back, but I haven't played with you guys yet. What time will you guys be on? (I was on at 9:00est once but you guys were a no show) :(

Try 9:30PM EST, sometimes we're on early but not most of the time.

M3Freak said:
Here you go:

994 tangoisforbitches rd
carbine, ontario
canadia
E3W 4F9

LOLerz....

Seriously though. That rant was a long time coming, I know, M3. The DLC experience, from the early frustrations with delays and server issues, to the current frustrations with trying to get map pack matches, has not met the standards of quality and excellence that we've come to expect from Resistance, or really from Insomniac products in general. It's a shame, too, because those maps, especially the snow map, are some amazingly awesome work, and they are pretty much going unused by our clan.

From this experience, I'm not convinced about rushing to buy the next DLC scheduled offering at all. That's crazy, considering how much I really, really love Resistance.

jstevenson said:
We're working on something to integrate the new maps into regular match-making. All I can say is "soon."

Glad you guys are working on it. I know this isn't your call, JS, but I wish a solution had come months ago. When games like Gears, Lost Planet, and R6V have free maps released in less time than I've waited to be able to integrate the maps I bought into my gaming experience, well, that is disappointing. I'd certainly rather play Resistance than any of those games, of course, but I can't deny that those games are beating the pants off Resistance in terms of DLC value right now.

See you guys online tonight! RAWR!

WAR ROMO!

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:
Ok I'll try and catch u guys tonight.

FWIW, I'm usually not on until about 9:45 or 10.

Since the latest patch, we get Assaut a lot, which was cool, at first. But now it seems that when we do get to play Meltdown and Breach, we get completely fucked by a lot of teams because we're not good at those game types anymore. :(

/relatively mild rant

Angelcurio

tanod said:
FWIW, I'm usually not on until about 9:45 or 10.

Since the latest patch, we get Assaut a lot, which was cool, at first. But now it seems that when we do get to play Meltdown and Breach, we get completely fucked by a lot of teams because we're not good at those game types anymore. :(

/relatively mild rant
Its really funny considering that before the patch, we would get Meltdown games at least 90% of the time. We played a Meltdown game last sunday and i was extremely surprised about it since it had been almost 2 or 3 months since the last time i had played that type of game.

And please Sony, RELEASE THE DAMN CARDS, you hear me, RELEASE THE DAMN CARDS.

Steroyd

sutdawg said:

Haha I was contemplating joining your team to even the numbers, mysteriously when Aeon left I started getting multiple and 3 kills all of sudden. :lol

Sounds like me purchasing the new maps is going to happen soon then.

sutdawg

M3Freak said:
I kept repeating the same mistake trying to kill you... I should have just ran away when I saw you, like Aeon does when he sees a woman.
Fixed :p
Don't worry people make that mistake all teh time.

Oh and you must have typed the address incorrectly, MapQuest can't find it.
:lol

Top Bottom