• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Here's one thing, and this isn't so much a flaw in the game as it is a matter of me having become accustomed to a certain mechanic, but I found myself wishing that the jeep would control exactly like the warthog in Halo. It's similar enough in design and handling that it made me try to control it like the warthog (3rd person view spin, to be precise), which resulted in some mild disorientation. As said though, not a flaw with a game.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Here's one thing, and this isn't so much a flaw in the game as it is a matter of me having become accustomed to a certain mechanic, but I found myself wishing that the jeep would control exactly like the warthog in Halo. It's similar enough in design and handling that it made me try to control it like the warthog (3rd person view spin, to be precise), which resulted in some mild disorientation. As said though, not a flaw with a game.

I was always horrid at driving the Warthog lol.
Oddly enough I was able to handle the jeep surprisingly well, but that is because I had not gotten used to other control schemes yet.

Someone who has finished the game (or gotten to the by now famous snow), help me clear this up.

So I've just cleared the mall, and now there is this downed VTOL with hazmat soldiers strewn about. Am I supposed to decipher the morse code?

Someone who has finished the game (or gotten to the by now famous snow), help me clear this up.
I have no idea either man I hung around that thing for days cause normally when you hear that your supposed to pick something up but I couldnt for the life of me find anything.

llTll

Banned
man i cant believe this

i am on a later stage of the game [ playing on easy even ]

and my health was about to finish while fighting the remaining 2 chimera [ there were like 10 at least if not more ]

so i thought i would run down to get some helth packs i left down [ i was full before the war start ]

and for my surprise those 2 kept following for and shooting my ass really for long time. i never stopped running and i was about to reach the beginning of the level, yet they kept shooting my ass till i died. :lol

usually when i play in a game, you shoot, they shoot at u back, sometimes by mistake one eniemy come to you by mistake in stupid way. but not like those 2 chimeras. awsome AI

Dazzyman

Cheers guys. I ended up playing it till 6am then conking out today and had to go back to sleep :lol I have been that impressed with it I just dont want to go on holiday tommorow!

It really is a shame about some of the textures early on though. Im not one to stick at FPS for long if I feel there not pulling their weight as Ive played em all over the years on PC especially. I actually switched COD2 on PC off just before the end of the Russian campaign start (before it switches) and swapped it for free for another game (I got it bought for me on 360 last year on release and that was the same for me once you get passed that section the game is really good). As Resistence is one of 2 games I own for PS3 I thought Id better get some monies worth. I was taking early pics for another forum showing how bad it actually looked early on, it goes nice at Grimsby then you come out into the docks and the textures go awful again (the pool tables for one reminded me of Duke nukem they looked that old). Im just so pleased I stuck at it though as it is one of the most beautiful games at Manchester then on :) Very impressed with the physics and booby traps/mines and weapons, they all feel very meaty (some FPS die cas they feel so lightweight). AI I thinks very good especially on default normal. I was suprised how hard it was at first until "what happens happens"! Ive been outflanked plenty of times and Ive been chased all over by 3 mobs at once.

Kittonwy

Banned
llTll said:
man i cant believe this

i am on a later stage of the game [ playing on easy even ]

and my health was about to finish while fighting the remaining 2 chimera [ there were like 10 at least if not more ]

so i thought i would run down to get some helth packs i left down [ i was full before the war start ]

and for my surprise those 2 kept following for and shooting my ass really for long time. i never stopped running and i was about to reach the beginning of the level, yet they kept shooting my ass till i died. :lol

usually when i play in a game, you shoot, they shoot at u back, sometimes by mistake one eniemy come to you by mistake in stupid way. but not like those 2 chimeras. awsome AI

Like I said before, towards the end, the advanced hybrids tend to work in tandem, laying down suppression fire, and while you think you can just kind of pop out and take them out slowly, at least one advanced hybrid would advance on your position, and this is on medium, so I'm not sure what happens on hard. And I love how the AIs use the auger.

Like I said before, towards the end, the advanced hybrids tend to work in tandem, laying down suppression fire, and while you think you can just kind of pop out and take them out slowly, at least one advanced hybrid would advance on your position, and this is on medium, so I'm not sure what happens on hard. And I love how the AIs use the auger.

Okay this is what amazes me to no end when they see that your getting low on health they just all out rush your ass. I have died so many damn times in this game I cant believe it but whats worse is I always die cause the AI outplays me!!! If that doesnt make a incredible game damn i dont know what does.

Big-E

I was wondering if anyone was getting the same problem as me online. It seems to me that certian ribbons never get saved like multiple kills. Also, whenever I am using my Bluetooth headset or the Logitech SOCOM usb headset they are always on talk mode. Pressing L3 does nothing to shut it off or turn it off. People can hear me all the time. It is just a minor thing I know but it is pretty annoying at times.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Big-E said:
I was wondering if anyone was getting the same problem as me online. It seems to me that certian ribbons never get saved like multiple kills. Also, whenever I am using my Bluetooth headset or the Logitech SOCOM usb headset they are always on talk mode. Pressing L3 does nothing to shut it off or turn it off. People can hear me all the time. It is just a minor thing I know but it is pretty annoying at times.

The ribbons thing is a known issue and will be corrected with the first patch, there are also some changes to streamline the voice chat in that patch.

You'll be hearing more about it soon.

JS

Kittonwy said:
and this is on medium, so I'm not sure what happens on hard.

Price said in his blog that the AI doesn't change it's routine much on the harder difficulty levels, but from what I've seen there are more enemies, they're strategically placed in more compromising/flank happy positions, and they hit a lot harder.

I started off on medium for the first couple levels and found it too easy so I switched to hard (which Im beginning to regret a little now :lol) but the biggest difference I noticed is I'm paying a lot more attention to keeping cover. Not cover so much in the GoW/R6 sense, but more like a consistently roving, stick and move approach. When I enter a new area I notice I try and take a quick survey of the terrain, spot cover points and basically keep as safely mobile as possible (while tactically choosing my weapons and targets). Because you can take a lot of damage in such a hurry and the enemy can either rush or flush you out, you can't stay in one spot but you can't always run out in the open either.

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Price said in his blog that the AI doesn't change it's routine much on the harder difficulty levels, but from what I've seen there are more enemies, they're strategically placed in more compromising/flank happy positions, and they hit a lot harder.

I started off on medium for the first couple levels and found it too easy so I switched to hard (which Im beginning to regret a little now :lol) but the biggest difference I noticed is I'm paying a lot more attention to keeping cover. Not cover so much in the GoW/R6 sense, but more like a consistently roving, stick and move approach. When I enter a new area I notice I try and take a quick survey of the terrain, spot cover points and basically keep as safely mobile as possible (while tactically choosing my weapons and targets). Because you can take a lot of damage in such a hurry and the enemy can either rush or flush you out, you can't stay in one spot but you can't always run out in the open either.

I totally agree with your point about having to stick and move.

Having auger-carrying chimeras really changes the dynamics of cover, and even when I'm behind cover, enemies like the widowmaker with the explosive gobules and chimeras throwing hedgehogs can still get to me. To me it's truly what cover should be, a shield that stands between the player and the damage, if there's a path from the weapon to the target, then the target is exposed, even if it's through a small opening and that's how Resistance is set up.

I'm getting my ass kicked right about now.

I thought the Stalker + Titan was a bitch encounter, and now the damned game is throwing two Stalkers, a swarm of hybrids and a bloody Widowmaker at me.

Yikes.

I had to of died a hundred times on that part but when you beat my god it is so satisfying.
Thats another thing I remember anytime I got into a hard spot in halo I could normally find some place to wedge myself where I could just pick guys off. That never happens in Resistance on the part mentioned above I tried a hundred times to find a spot where I could hide and systematically take everyone out but I never found it. The game requires skill and determination and thats so damn cool.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AltogetherAndrews said:

I thought the Stalker + Titan was a bitch encounter, and now the damned game is throwing two Stalkers, a swarm of hybrids and a bloody Widowmaker at me.

Yikes.

I know exactly where you are. I must have died ten times, but once you get it...man, Resistance is so awesome.

That is, imo, the hardest part of the game.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I know exactly where you are. I must have died ten times, but once you get it...man, Resistance is so awesome.

That is, imo, the hardest part of the game.

Actually the hardest part for me was in the
wrecked subway tunnels
. Several tough fire fights with tons of enemies and distant checkpoints. Took me like an hour to get through it.

With the part you guys are talking about I just
Hid in a building and shot through the windows with rocket/sniper/machinegun while taking cover behind walls to regain health :p

Kittonwy

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually the hardest part for me was in the
wrecked subway tunnels
. Several tough fire fights with tons of enemies and distant checkpoints. Took me like an hour to get through it.

With the part you guys are talking about I just
Hid in a building and shot through the windows with rocket/sniper/machinegun while taking cover behind walls to regain health :p

With the
Widowmaker
though it was hard to avoid the splash damage even behind cover.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Yikes.

That's why I love the pacing of the game because when that is over, you probably can't take much more, the game kind of pushes you right to the edge and then the level would end.

Y2Kev

Kittonwy said:
With the
Widowmaker

Yep, that was my problem. In the house, I kept getting hit by splash damage. I had to keep on my feet but avoid the hybrid waves.

god so awesome

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my strategy for that part:
i killed the stalkers with the fareye from one of the ruined buildings, and saved four rockets for the spider guy. if you make a point of sniping the hybrids as they spawn, you'll hardly take any damage.

Bebpo

Banned
Kittonwy said:
With the
Widowmaker

I never let it move from where it appeared 100+ feet away :p I just sniped it non-stop until it died at the spot it appeared at :)

I have been stuck at the same spot for two nights now and it is driving me nuts.

I am in what I believe is a subway tunnel where you have hordes on you and almost no cover
No grenades, no big blast weapons, and I can clear them out slowly but always end up too maimed to get far after.

How much is left after this?

Bebpo

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
I have been stuck at the same spot for two nights now and it is driving me nuts.

I am in what I believe is a subway tunnel where you have hordes on you and almost no cover
No grenades, no big blast weapons, and I can clear them out slowly but always end up too maimed to get far after.

How much is left after this?

Yeah, that part was frustratingly difficult. Learn to use the sniper rifle to headshot Auger dudes in 1 hit so at least you don't have to worry about them shooting through the walls. Then use the Auger yourself to take cover of the normal guys.

In the 2nd section use the bullseye or sniper if you have any ammo left to take out the crawler guys on the wall.

Finally when you are going through the trains, right at the end pull out an Auger and just UNLOAD through the wall until you are sure the two guys in there are dead. I died TWICE at that fricken' room when I'd kill one and the other would jump out 1 foot in front of me and kill me in 1-2 secs. One time I threw a grenade in there and it went too far and MISSED so both jumped out at me and killed me before I could do anything. You're in such a tiny space and those guys are lethal at close range. So yeah, fire through the wall and kill them both before they even see you.

There's probably a few hours left after that. But that's the hardest section in the whole game IMO.

Y2Kev

Bebpo said:
Yeah, that part was frustratingly difficult. Learn to use the sniper rifle to headshot Auger dudes in 1 hit so at least you don't have to worry about them shooting through the walls. Then use the Auger yourself to take cover of the normal guys.

In the 2nd section use the bullseye or sniper if you have any ammo left to take out the crawler guys on the wall.

Finally when you are going through the trains, right at the end pull out an Auger and just UNLOAD through the wall until you are sure the two guys in there are dead. I died TWICE at that fricken' room when I'd kill one and the other would jump out 1 foot in front of me and kill me in 1-2 secs. One time I threw a grenade in there and it went too far and MISSED so both jumped out at me and killed me before I could do anything. You're in such a tiny space and those guys are lethal at close range. So yeah, fire through the wall and kill them both before they even see you.

There's probably a few hours left after that. But that's the hardest section in the whole game IMO.

I remember that section. I didn't die there though. I didn't have a problem there...to be honest, I can barely remember it.

Flo_Evans

ah yeah I just made lieutenant and got the pilot skin :D

then I ran into this bad mofo that was a brigadier general who had a skin that made him look like a bare skelleton.. freaked me the **** out!

good job on the multiplayer unlockables. They keep making me want to play more ranked games :)

Big-E

I haven't played many ranked games so based on observations I am assuming their are two branches to the games rankings. Ranked games seem to have the officer ranks while unranked has the NCO ranks. I was wondering if you guys know if you can get a "battlefield commission" and become an officer in unranked games. I would play more ranked games but I like to play team based games and everytime I play one of those ranks its with a low amount of people and someone always leaves.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Reading this thread makes me want to go home and play more Resistance. Man, that game rules. :D

Awesome, finally cleared that section. The only bummer is that I kind of wanted to
fight this Widowmaker bugger up close just because it looks so cool
, but that's not a good idea in terms of survival. Holy hell is this game challenging.

Big-E

AltogetherAndrews said:
Awesome, finally cleared that section. The only bummer is that I kind of wanted to
fight this Widowmaker bugger up close just because it looks so cool
, but that's not a good idea in terms of survival. Holy hell is this game challenging.

Ya, I know what you mean. I don't think I got withing a 100 feet of them, too scared lol.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just played a 40 player deathmatch game in Nottingham, where damage was at 150% and the weapons were rotating on each spawn. I can see why someone at Insomniac referred to the MP as a pitful of scorpions or something similar. There was always at least 3 air-fuel grenades going off in the vicinity :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
kaching said:
Just played a 40 player deathmatch game in Nottingham, where damage was at 150% and the weapons were rotating on each spawn. I can see why someone at Insomniac referred to the MP as a pitful of scorpions or something similar. There was always at least 3 air-fuel grenades going off in the vicinity :lol
Next to the shotgun in single player, and air fuel grenade is easily my favorite weapon in multiplayer. I get a lot of satisfaction with tossing one right before I die, taking out the person who killed me and sometimes a couple more. :D

I love the shotgun in single player but I can't seem to do shit with it in MP. F*ckers move too fast! The air-fuel 'nade definitely seems to be the fav online right now. It seems like way too many hosts are using unlimited grenades/ammo in the custom games though (play a game with 20+ and all you can hear is that little whistle sound before you become barbeque :lol).

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I love the shotgun in single player but I can't seem to do shit with it in MP. F*ckers move too fast! The air-fuel 'nade definitely seems to be the fav online right now. It seems like way too many hosts are using unlimited grenades/ammo in the custom games though (play a game with 20+ and all you can hear is that little whistle sound before you become barbeque :lol).

You should probably never use the shotgun unless you are Chimera. As a human, even if you use the double blast, if you aren't RIGHT ON TOP of the guy you're shooting you won't kill them and then you're screwed. It is REALLY good in maps like Bus Yard and other smaller ones with lots of walls and stuff to pop out from behind (Grimsby is another that comes to mind). Grenades are useful at times but mostly just annoying. In an unlimited ammo match you're going to be dying from Carbine mortars and Rockets 99% of the time (and the shotgun too if someone is smart, depending on the level).

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Grenades are useful at times but mostly just annoying. In an unlimited ammo match you're going to be dying from Carbine mortars and Rockets 99% of the time (and the shotgun too if someone is smart, depending on the level).

I have to disagree with you about the grenades, they're super effective in my experience (more so in the team based modes though). Dropping a pineapple on a couple players heads and seeing that multi-kill ribbon pop up is the best. :D

But yeah, unlimited ammo is pretty annoying in general. Not sure what fun people are seeing in that. *shrug*

theBishop said:
the previews made a big deal out of the hedgehog grenade, but the Air Fuel Grenade steals the show by far.

The hedgehog is just so damned cool, I think that's why it got so much attention. I don't particularily like minefields in games, but I could definitely tolerate them in Resistance for the simple reason that seeing those hedgehog mines jump up and spin around all evil like was such an awesome sight.

Bold statement here, but I'm pretty sure this is the most intense FPS come across, regardless of system. It's not a groundbreaking FPS (although I'd argue that weapons like the auger bring a pretty fresh combat experience to the table), but it's certainly one of the overall most complete FPS I've played.

PhatSaqs

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Bold statement here, but I'm pretty sure this is the most intense FPS come across, regardless of system.
True. Some of the battles are pretty damn hectic. The
Stalker, Stalker, Widowmaker with others shooting at you all the while
got the heart pumpin but my eyes were glued to the TV the whole time.

Tieno

lunlunqq

today i decided to have some sniper practice in a teamdeath match. I managed to pull out 13/0 in a round by camping and sniping people. i though in the four rounds i accumulated more than 20 sniper kills. but then when i finally quit the game and checked my status... there was nothing there... it's just so frustrating! :( :(

Big-E

lunlunqq said:
today i decided to have some sniper practice in a teamdeath match. I managed to pull out 13/0 in a round by camping and sniping people. i though in the four rounds i accumulated more than 20 sniper kills. but then when i finally quit the game and checked my status... there was nothing there... it's just so frustrating! :( :(

Ya it does get annoying but Insomniac has said they will fix this in the first patch release so everything should all be good.

Top Bottom