• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Holy crap

I really wasn't expecting a widowmaker to show up in that section

Hey, my audio bugs out from time to time. I can hear monsters growl, but the weapons audio and the music is gone. It started at the checkpoint right after the
Goliath encounter
, and it's been happening every other time I load a check point. Anyone else have this problem?

After dipping my toe in here and there and not having it grab me right away I'm really starting to get into the MP now. It took me a little while to get accustomed to things like using the Chimera's rage mode effectively (sorta reminds me of boost in Motorstorm, heh), learning the maps and waypoints, consistently aiming for headshots, learning the weapon balance/best situations to use them in etc. Things started clicking and now I'm really digging it.

The team based modes are defintely where it's at, particularly Breach which I can see having a lot of legs. My only qualm (like everybody else) is not enough people are communicating and using teamwork yet. And the ones that do kick everybody's ass. You can see the potential though, once clans and such start ramping up these maps are going to get very competitive.

So yeah, super polished combat, up to 40 players and not a hint of lag or slowdown, quality and varied map design, modes for just about everybody, nifty ranking and stat tracking. It's shaping up to be an online beast, just needs to build up the community.

Ok, so the Angels are someof the most wicked looking (and moving) enemies in gaming history, but did anyone else find them surprisingly "weaksauce"? I'm sure this changes on harder settings, but I honestly had more trouble with the advanced hybrids.

Oh, and I think we can officially discount those who go "the graphics aren't impressive" as people who haven't played the 2nd half of the game yet. In one way, I appreciate the ramp-up in general awesomeness when it comes to everything from visual oomph and enemy types, but starting up a second run after playing through the last 3 levels of the game, I can definitely see what people are saying about it being 'meh' in the beginning. I think had Insomniac taken the safe route and stuck with fewer environments, preferably of the types that primarily occur in the second half of the game, the game would have received much more praise for graphics across the board.

I just got past Cheddar Gorge. I have never had this much fun playing and FPS single player before. This game just past Goldeneye and the original Doom/Doom 2 in terms of my subjective enjoyment. Until now, those were he best single-player FPSes I had played.

This game is great.

p2535748

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, so the Angels are someof the most wicked looking (and moving) enemies in gaming history, but did anyone else find them surprisingly "weaksauce"? I'm sure this changes on harder settings, but I honestly had more trouble with the advanced hybrids.

I agree.

In general, I was a little dissapointed with the larger enemies (not in terms of design, but in terms of the experience actually fighting them). Most of the time I had more trouble with the groups of hybrids than with the larger enemies. I also felt like the whole "run around the back of them to attack the weak point" idea was used once too many times. With a few exceptions, I just didn't find the boss battles to be nearly as compelling as the standard gameplay. Once you get the powered up version of the bullseye (and the hybrids start using it, too), the hybrids are definitely the toughest enemy. I found the Angels fairly easy to take out with judicious use of tagging. I still like their design and animation, though.

Still, that was one of my very few complaints about this game. Just an incredibly solid game all around, especially for a launch title. I'm playing it through for a second time, which is really rare for me to do with a FPS.
Giving you additional weapons on the second play through was a great idea

ORANGUTAN

Banned
re: the 15-18 hour length, is this accurate even on Medium diff or do you have to be on Hard? take in mind, I always seem to finish games a few hours later than normal people. i just started yesterday

what do you guys use as your control setup? every game should have completely custom controls like this... it can't be a real difficult thing to implement, just let us choose which button does what... it's so stupid it's not in every shooter. i was relieved to see this

my setup:

left trigger - zoom
right trigger - fire
left bumper - ?? voice chat... don't use it
right bumper - flashlight
default left stick Aim, right stick Move
default directional pad
triangle - grenade
square - alternate fire
x - jump
circle - melee
right stick press (r3) - reload
left stick press - crouch

psn id: HIPPOPOTAMUS if anyone wants to add, i just setup my ps3 yesterday

ORANGUTAN said:
re: the 15-18 hour length, is this accurate even on Medium diff or do you have to be on Hard? take in mind, I always seem to finish games a few hours later than normal people. i just started yesterday

I'd say it took me about 12 hours on medium, but if Resistance has taught me one thing, it'd be that I suck at console FPS. So 12 hours may not be normal for somewhat skilled players.

Anyway, I'd rate this game a 9.5. 9 for the actual game from start to finish, and an extra .5 in "tilt" due to awesome rewards (concept art, new weapons and such) and backstory elements that's actually caused me to think about it when not playing the game. Wicked effort, and I can not ****ing wait for Part 2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Game took me between 12 and 14 hours to beat. A great length for me. Once a game gets to 20+ hours it better be super interesting and have a damn near flawless storyline.

Great thing RE4, MGS3, and GTA:SA all took me over 20 hours to beat and had damn near perfect storylines.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
what do you guys recommend, i've got 2 approaches..

1. continue playing on medium.. it's been a challenge but not anything brutal, the only real hard part so far is the beginning with the sym-pac syrum and regeneration not introduced yet and you having no way to regain life

2. start over on hard, i'm only an hour or so in

i want the best possible SP experience as i'm not really big on multiplayer games. for example, i started Gears on hardcore because casual was a joke.. a completely different game, you could blow through it in 7 hours. hardcore actually made you play it the way the designers meant it to be played.

ORANGUTAN said:

1. continue playing on medium.. it's been a challenge but not anything brutal, the only real hard part so far is the beginning with the sym-pac syrum and regeneration not introduced yet and you having no way to regain life

i want the best possible SP experience as i'm not really big on multiplayer games. for example, i started Gears on hardcore because casual was a joke.. a completely different game, you could blow through it in 7 hours. hardcore actually made you play it the way the designers meant it to be played.

Well, I more or less breezed through Gears of War on Hardcore, but I encountered several scenarios in Resistance that I found ridiculously difficult even on Medium. Not sure if that means anything to you as I may just have had an easier time with the gameplay in Gears of War in general, but there it is.

I have a quick question for those of you who have played online. I was under the impression that you could tilt left on the controller and pull up the map at any time....I have not been able to do so. I can shake the controller to knock off a bullseye tag or to put out being on fire...but the map thing doesnt work at all. Anyone else experience this?

no_to_co

ORANGUTAN said:

Are you planning on playing it at least twice? If so, it's ok to play through on medium and than play on hard a 2nd time with the extra weapons. If you think you'll just play it once, I would play it on hard from the getgo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come on guys, pics for the EU-guys!

ORANGUTAN

Banned
no_to_co said:
Are you planning on playing it at least twice? If so, it's ok to play through on medium and than play on hard a 2nd time with the extra weapons. If you think you'll just play it once, I would play it on hard from the getgo.
this is a question i can't really answer..

don't mean to bring up gears again but it's fresh in my mind right now. the minute after i beat it on hardcore, i wanted to start over and play through it again because the atmosphere and hollywood movie-like scenarios were so entertaining. did you guys get the same type of feelings with resistance? already i can tell the story is waaaay more interesting than gears

You know, I think the Reaper mechanic should be the new standard in dual wielding.

ORANGUTAN said:
this is a question i can't really answer..

don't mean to bring up gears again but it's fresh in my mind right now. the minute after i beat it on hardcore, i wanted to start over and play through it again because the atmosphere and hollywood movie-like scenarios were so entertaining. did you guys get the same type of feelings with resistance? already i can tell the story is waaaay more interesting than gears

I started a second run immediately after I finished it. In part because I want to try and nail some skill points I failed to nail during my first run through as well as pick up some intel I left behind, but mostly because the combat is so much fun that one run through just didn't satisfy my appetite for mayhem. And for whatever it's worth, I'm actually enjoying the second run more than the first run so far.

And of course, getting new weapons doesn't hurt either. :D

Dahbomb

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, I think the Reaper mechanic should be the new standard in dual wielding.
Can someone explain how this works? Because I am still confused over it.

Do you press L1 and the reticule goes of tangent? How do you control that? Do you hold it?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Seiken said:
Come on guys, pics for the EU-guys!
rfomwow.jpg

:)

ORANGUTAN

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

I started a second run immediately after I finished it. In part because I want to try and nail some skill points I failed to nail during my first run through as well as pick up some intel I left behind, but mostly because the combat is so much fun that one run through just didn't satisfy my appetite for mayhem. And for whatever it's worth, I'm actually enjoying the second run more than the first run so far.

And of course, getting new weapons doesn't hurt either. :D
sounds good, i'll continue on medium then..

btw, the draw distance and architecture of the buildings is amazing in this game

Tieno

Blimblim said:
http://images.playsyde.com/misc/rfomwow.jpg
:)
I think that's going to be my favorite part in the game. I love the pics from that section! Is there a video from that? It's like a sci-fi apocalyptic rendition of Lothlorien

lorien.jpg

lothlorien.jpg

lothlorien.jpg

Lothlorien_dg8%5B2%5D.jpg

Dahbomb said:
Can someone explain how this works? Because I am still confused over it.

Do you press L1 and the reticule goes of tangent? How do you control that? Do you hold it?

From the in-game weapon description:

"Hold the reticle over an enemy to engage Target Acquisition. Once the reticle is red, shots fired by holding [primary and secondary fire buttons] will track an enemy anywhere in the field of view. Each Reaper can track a separate enemy".

Belfast

Half-Life 2 is still tops for my favorite FPS games, mainly due to the awesomeness of the gravity guns and creative use of physics, but I'll be damned if Resistance isn't the best in terms of actual combat. Some of the battles are just crazy and it's ALWAYS satisfying. I'd say for anyone hesitant or unimpressed by the first couple levels, at least get to Manchester (third area, I think). That's when the fights start to get epic!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Belfast said:
Half-Life 2 is still tops for my favorite FPS games, mainly due to the awesomeness of the gravity guns and creative use of physics
I agree with this. There's a missed opportunity here to have had a gun/gadget that let the player get a little more creative with the physics, because RFoM certainly has a respectable engine in that regard.

golem

yeah the first two areas are rather uninspiring.. after playing through them i thought gaf is trippin again. but the game is really starting to pick up now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I just got past Cheddar Gorge. I have never had this much fun playing and FPS single player before. This game just past Goldeneye and the original Doom/Doom 2 in terms of my subjective enjoyment. Until now, those were he best single-player FPSes I had played.

One thing i would say was that Cheddar Gorge screamed "HALO!" to me. If that level floated your boat , i'd strongly suggest trying out Halo and Halo 2.

PhatSaqs

Banned
DCharlie said:
One thing i would say was that Cheddar Gorge screamed "HALO!" to me. If that level floated your boat , i'd strongly suggest trying out Halo and Halo 2.
True. Halo with a crappier "Warthog".

PhatSaqs said:

Not only that...but, IMO Cheddar Gorge was the most promising, yet, disappointing, level in the game. Not nearly enough battle staging sequences for my taste...however, I am playing through on hard right now so it be different this time through.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Arde0 said:
I knew I saw one in the game!! I knew it!....I just thought I was ****ing tired....
can you describe more speficially what you saw? and where? I think this is kinda funny, I gotta see this for myself. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
:lol at the roaming gnome.

And..um...I still have major story questions about this game. I want to know why it was
snowing!

Nozi

Banned
I just started the blue-ish level with the rain, just after you unearth the thing. How far is this into the game? btw, I'm really enjoying it.. the driving level brought back great memories of Halo 1.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PhatSaqs said:

I didnt like how the guy manning the machine gun never dies either. Even on hard mode. I'd just part the jeep in front of the Chimera bases then get out and fall back, letting him take the hits

Bad_Boy said:
can you describe more speficially what you saw? and where? I think this is kinda funny, I gotta see this for myself. :lol

I was playing and it was something I thought was part of the background...all the trash and garbage laying around...cannot remember what level...but seems like it was before you go down the back alley right before you go onto the rooftops. It like a little patch of grass before you go into the back alley. There is a tree and debris laying around the grass and I *believe* that is where I saw it. It wasnt a cognitive thought until later...I am going to replay that level and will report back.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Arde0 said:
I was playing and it was something I thought was part of the background...all the trash and garbage laying around...cannot remember what level...but seems like it was before you go down the back alley right before you go onto the rooftops. It like a little patch of grass before you go into the back alley. There is a tree and debris laying around the grass and I *believe* that is where I saw it. It wasnt a cognitive thought until later...I am going to replay that level and will report back.
was it a little person walking around or a garden gnome or something. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wario64 said:
I didnt like how the guy manning the machine gun never dies either. Even on hard mode. I'd just part the jeep in front of the Chimera bases then get out and fall back, letting him take the hits

I tried that, but the shots wouldn't go INSIDE the little hut thing.

Belfast

Wario64 said:

Yeah, but you only get him instead of a number of nameless soldiers like HALO, so if he died, you wouldn't even have the chance for a replacement. I suppose that would make it harder, though.

Wario64 said:

Well, it might have been a better idea to have the gunner be a "grunt" as opposed to a VIP.
Considering the story progression, the only reasonable result of him dying would have to be checkpoint restart
. But, I agree. I liked the craziness of Cheddar Gorge (even scored me a couple of skillpoints due to reckless driving) and I thought the battles were pretty damned intense, but for as fun as it was the actual vehicle part sometimes felt... I don't know, clowny? Halo did this in a really awesome way, in that you'd just pick up Warthog crew as you went along. And oddly enough, despite the anonymous nature of that crew, I felt a closer connection to those guys than my Lynx buddy.

As for the "roaming gnome"... I found one of those at the start of the Somerset mission (
near the corpse of a US "MIB"
), and tried to blow it up for a good 2 minutes before I realized that the damned thing was just a set-piece. Bastards.

Oh, here's another one...

I think this was in the Cheshire mission, in one of the areas that lets you scavenge empty train cars for ammo and such. I don't know if this was deliberate, but I jumped into one train car expecting to find either nothing or some ammo, and it was filled with those damned leaper pods! I hate to admit this, but I very nearly shat myself because that was absolutely the last thing I had expected to meet there.

Bad_Boy said:
was it a little person walking around or a garden gnome or something. :p

Like a garden gnome.

I just replayed the level in London right before you go onto the rooftops (where I thought I had seen it) and it wasnt there...will keep an eye out for it this time.

Top Bottom