• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

So I tried signing up at myresistance.net and for some reason my time is all screwed up. Can't change it either.

I also can't find where to go to link my account.

Edit: "Account-Linking and Stats Currently Offline"

Thats what it was. :) So I guess the site really is still in Beta. I'll try back later.

Pacman2k

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Currently in Manchester on hard mode... this hard difficulty really isn't messing around. I'm dying a lot but it's incredibly fun coming up with the right tactics and weapon combos to get through each checkpoint. The
leaper
attack in the
Church
was probably the toughest part of the game for me yet. I don't know how difficult this section is on normal but I got ripped to shreds by these guys. Finally figured out to retreat to the back room so I could bottleneck the
little swarming bastards
and splatter 'em with grenades and the Bullseye. Seeing all those remains on the floor was a bit too satisfying. :) From what I'm reading it sounds like I'm not even hitting the really challenging stuff yet... I'm in trouble aren't I?

I had a hell of a time with that part too. I ended up
trying to filter them through one of the rows of pews as kind of a pinch point, then shotgunned them down.
Worked out after a couple tries.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The skins and account-linking are there, but the site is still very much beta and we're working on stuff as we go along.

Anyways - we have plenty of support for making sure things work out for you in the Online Gameplay forum at MyResistance.net, so if you're having trouble, just post with the situation.

We have some other very cool unlockables we'll be releasing over time, so make sure you sign up!

JS

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You know, GAF is the only place that I go to when I want to see pictures of Resistance.

Like those snow-stages... wow. What I'm trying to say here is PICS! MOAR PIIIIIIIIIICS!

(Europe...)

The skins and account-linking are there, but the site is still very much beta and we're patching stuff along as we go. The fun of being a launch title and adjusting to the always changing network situation :).

Anyways - we have plenty of support for making sure things work out for you in the Online Gameplay forum at MyResistance.net, so if you're having trouble, just post with the situation.

We have some other very cool unlockables we'll be releasing over time, so make sure you sign up!

Thanks for the update and thanks for the game im sure you can tell how stoked we all are over it. I knew it was going to be really fun but I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best games I have ever played. Hats off to the whole team man job well done.

cochese

Id would really like to play some online games wiht some of you gaffers. Please add me ID= SEMBE.

If theirs a GAF clan Id would like to join it also.

Oneself

I just finished my 1st play through and IMO it was really, really awesome. Resistance 2 needs more snowfall. Easily in my top 3 FPS of all time.

With that being said, I was reading the credits and it says something like "parts of this game are copyright 1999". What is it exactly? It's been like, 7 years!! cough*cough* JStevenson cough*

Edit: I thought about it and it must be the
Ratchet&Clank backpacks

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm going to try and finish it tonight, but I'm curious as to how much is left.

I have left the snowy area and am making my way through what appears to be the final area.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm going to try and finish it tonight, but I'm curious as to how much is left.

I have left the snowy area and am making my way through what appears to be the final area.

Well if it appears to be...

J-Rzez

Deepblue said:
Have you played Gears?

Own it, beat it, thus why I form my opinion... Halo has to beat Resistance out for overall quality and experience... I'm not a graphics whore, I prefer gameplay... but, if you need my stance on Graphics like it seems that's the only thing that matters anymore to qualify a game for being killer or not, not saying you're implying this at all, here ya go!

Graphics:
Gears: WOW!!!!!!!
Resistance: WOW!!!!

Art:
Gears: WOW!!!
Resistance: WOW!!!!!

I don't need to get into the gameplay, online, and framerate as why I'm talking in comparision to Halo, because Halo is vastly superior to Gears in just about all those aspects...

Safe Bet

Banned
So what's everyone's opinion on the random respawn locations in dm/tdm?

It's nice not getting spawn camped but at the same time it really sucks when opposing players respawn three feet behind you.

lunlunqq

i just played a few very satisfying online rounds tonight, thought it might boost my rank a little bit... THEN I FOUND OUT THAT ALL MY ONLINE PROFILE HAS BEEN LOST. now i've been kicked back to private rank and all my stat's been reset to 0... :'(~~~~~~~ what happened???????????????

edit: no... uhhh... i got everything back... but i lost a few sniper kill counts and things like that... might be my shitty network connection setup... :(

hyp

J-Rzez said:
Art:
Gears: WOW!!!
Resistance: WOW!!!!!

i have to agree, the art in resistance is top notch. the first level of the demo is a really bad introduction to the game. the environment is bland and very ww2/cod2 looking. but once the second level hits, oh man did it change my view of the game. it actually sold me on the game, so i placed an order today to get it :).

Safe Bet said:

It's nice not getting spawn camped but at the same time it really sucks when opposing players respawn three feet behind you.

I really don't like it when there's lots of players on a small map. To some, it's very exciting and fun to constantly be shooting/killing people. But to me, it's just taking advantage of someone, shooting them in the back whenever possible.

There's good and bad to random respawns. I personally think the respawn time should be cut by at least half, so that you won't have much time to see who's in front of you.

lunlunqq said:
edit: no... uhhh... i got everything back... but i lost a few sniper kill counts and things like that... might be my shitty network connection setup... :(

It seems to be a glitch when you quit games. Most of the time, your next game will show your newbie rank if you quit. You can't pick your outfit. It only lasts for 1 game and your stats won't get messed up.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Safe Bet said:
Doesn't bother me. You have a few seconds while you're respawning to take in the scene in front of you. Assuming nothing is going on that I should worry about in front of me, I just assume that the threat, if any, is from behind so I immediately spin around. I've yet to encounter a situation where I've been respawned into instant death multiple times.

mr_nothin

Banned
phillismalls said:
i've got resistance in shrinkwrap should i open it up and play it? i thought gears was pretty good how does this stack up to it?
Seriously...why do you care?
You have both games, why not PLAY both and decide for yourself.
Are you going to take it back if someone says "GoW is better?". :|

PhatSaqs

Banned
phillismalls said:
i've got resistance in shrinkwrap should i open it up and play it? i thought gears was pretty good how does this stack up to it?
Stacks up decently overall IMO. Starts out pretty slow and doesnt get revving until a couple levels in. Has some nice eyecandy in terms of atmosphere. Outside of playing with the weapons, the gameplay itself is nothing to scream about but it's fun. I say play it.

dark10x

phillismalls said:
i don't really care but i have a backload of games and trying to decide if i should play this one first:)
Both Gears and Resistance stand as the best shooters we've received since 2004. They are both incredible games.

mr_nothin

Banned
phillismalls said:
i don't really care but i have a backload of games and trying to decide if i should play this one first:)
Ahhh, ok.
Well going by tha multi-orgasms in this thread I would think that you should. Already gone through Gears? How about playing multiple games at once?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mr_nothin said:
Ahhh, ok.
Well going by tha multi-orgasms in this thread I would think that you should. Already gone through Gears? How about playing multiple games at once?

Well, without comparing them (don't want to face the wrath of Vennt), you can finish Gears fairly quickly. If you play on coop, the game will be over in under 8 hours.

Resistance is a bit longer and the payoff comes at the end, so I'd suggest you play gears first...that way you can appreciate Resistance instead of sitting there like, "Cmmon cmmon cmmon...." like I was when I heard Bebpo and DCharlie and others splooging at the end game. :lol

no_to_co

It took me a little over 7 hours to finish up Gears. Resistance over 11 hours (I played it over 3 days, so I lost count). I can’t wait to get back home tonight for a second run through Resistance with the new weapons on the next difficulty setting.

JB1981

Onix said:
Wow ... I suck online! :lol

I don't really care for MP much. Am I missing something? I think it might be the fact that I don't have a headset yet. It should be here this week. Do people communicate at all online?

Safe Bet

Banned
phillismalls said:
Apples and Pears

Resistance = FPS
Gears = TPS

I think you'd be better off asking how it compares to Halo, Half-Life, etc...

Flo_Evans

JB1981 said:
I don't really care for MP much. Am I missing something? I think it might be the fact that I don't have a headset yet. It should be here this week. Do people communicate at all online?

I got a headset and its usually just me and one other dude in a room of 20 chatting...

Safe Bet

Banned
JB1981 said:
There's not much talk beside the usual 'pwned' 'raped' bs you always hear in online games...

Can't wait for the mp 'tweaking' that's been reported to be on the way.

It's kinda like the Wild Wild West out there right now with everyone just running around shooting whatever they come across..

Flo_Evans

JB1981 said:
Ugh. Nice job packing in a cheap headset, Sony.

I think if we could get a clan going where we all have headsets we could rape some teams in capture the flag.

Where the hell did White Man go? Is there an offical GAF clan or not? Last night I started up a new clan named [GAF] and it didn't say the name was taken.

Also... they need to add a copy friends from XMB option to this thing. I have like 30 XMB friends and 3 resistance friends cause everyone (including myself) is too damn lazy to re-type all those people.

also It would be nice if you had some kind of icon on screen when you are talking. Half the time I can't tell if I am even transmitting with the $14 bluetooth headset I bought :lol

I think if we could get a clan going where we all have headsets we could rape some teams in capture the flag.

Where the hell did White Man go? Is there an offical GAF clan or not? Last night I started up a new clan named [GAF] and it didn't say the name was taken.

Also... they need to add a copy friends from XMB option to this thing. I have like 30 XMB friends and 3 resistance friends cause everyone (including myself) is too damn lazy to re-type all those people.

also It would be nice if you had some kind of icon on screen when you are talking. Half the time I can't tell if I am even transmitting with the $14 bluetooth headset I bought

HAHAHA im totally down man we need to get a clan together ASAP!

J-Rzez

phillismalls said:

Resistance is more fun... the gameplay is much better IMHO... and throw in the vastly superior multiplayer, those are what makes it a much better game... that, and there's actually a story to the game, and some interesting scenary...

White Man

Flo_Evans said:

also It would be nice if you had some kind of icon on screen when you are talking. Half the time I can't tell if I am even transmitting with the $14 bluetooth headset I bought :lol

The clan name is neoGAF. I've gotten about a half dozen PMs. If you want in, send me a PM.

J-Rzez said:
Resistance is more fun... the gameplay is much better IMHO... and throw in the vastly superior multiplayer, those are what makes it a much better game... that, and there's actually a story to the game, and some interesting scenery...

That's strange, I found the game play to be generic and boring...granted i'm only 2 hours in, but thats only because the game can't hold my interest.

Run and gun... run and gun...

dark10x

evilchicken said:
That's strange, I found the game play to be generic and boring...granted i'm only 2 hours in, but thats only because the game can't hold my interest.

How far are you though?

It is pretty simple at first, but as the weapon loadout increases and the scenarios become more creative, the gameplay quality shoots through the roof.

Tieno

dark10x said:
How far are you though?

It is pretty simple at first, but as the weapon loadout increases and the scenarios become more creative, the gameplay quality shoots through the roof.
Can you give a couple examples?

LevelNth

Banned
dark10x said:
How far are you though?

Damn straight. This game goes from solid at the 25% mark to GOTY? (I noticed your new PSN comment dark :)) at the 75% mark. Stick with it folks.

PhatSaqs

Banned
dark10x said:
How far are you though?

You think so? I'm a couple stages from finishing it and so far the gameplay hasnt eclipsed much more than simply shooting and avoiding fire. The weapons MAKE the gameplay for me and that's what makes the game fun to play. Throw in a nice narrated story to keep things interesting, some very nice scenery, along with a couple cans of polish and you have pretty damn good game IMO, but also a pretty straightforward shooter from a gameplay perspective.

I'd really like to see them work on the enemy AI in order to make enemy encounters alot more dynamic and memorable. As it is, the best encounters for me are those where you're up against a HUGE amount of enemies with gunfire all over the place (Manchester) that have you barely making it out alive. This is one thing that can really bring the game up to Halo levels.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
evilchicken said:
You're a far better FPSer than I am then, because if I try to rely on that, I get killed in seconds in most instances. So maybe the game is just too easy for you. For me it's a mix of run and gun with quite a bit of more methodical, calculated action as well. Maybe try upping the difficulty?

dark10x

Tieno said:
Can you give a couple examples?
Without spoiling anything, the game essentially provides a large number of unique enemies with specific attacks that you come to recognize. As you encounter them, you will also begin to learn how best to deal with them (though there are always different options at your disposal). Like Halo, each enemy has an optimal method of takedown that, while not necessarily difficult to figure out, requires skill to pull off when it matters. You then mix in the variations in level design with the types of weapons you are using and you ammo count, and formulate a strategy.

Early on, you encounter low enemy numbers while using a limited arsenal. At this stage, the game is quite run and gun with a focus on simply moving forward taking out a few enemies here and there. Looking back, this is actually perfectly fine the face of everything else offered, but it wouldn't have worked for an entire game.

Using an approach similar to that of Bungie, the game throws you into various mini-scenarios making up larger levels.

Consider how a few of these enemies work;

You have a basic hybrid which uses a repeater like weapon that will tear you up pretty quickly, but it is easy enough to avoid and you can take cover to avoid it completely (of course, the AI becomes very aggressive and will flank you, use grenades, and generally flush you out).

There is another enemy using the Auger, which can fire through walls (a cool watery effect where the shot is penetrating will appear). Their shots are slower, but can follow you through anything.

Next, you have the enemies which can slowly make their way to you (zombie like) and grab you (shake them off with the sixaxis). These fellas work more like traps than anything else, as they are easy to dispose of, but when mixed with the others, they can become a danger.

You also have flood like creatures, large beasts with very powerful shots, the stalkers, and many more. The variation in their offense and defense allows for many excellent combat situations. The areas in which you encounter them also have a significant impact on how you must deal with them. There is a lot of multitasking present (you have to keep track of the battlefield as a whole and determine which targets need to go down first).

There are plenty of shared mechanics with Halo that allow for all of this to work out well. The melee attack is balanced well and is very strong (just as it was in Halo), but isn't suitable for every situation (also as it was in Halo). Grenades are instant and effective (the air fuel is my favorite, as it sticks to anything, let's out a gas cloud that fills an area, and then ignites). The health system is setup in an interesting fashion, with your recharging function limited to one piece at a time. If one of the four pieces if depleted, it will not recharge by itself (requires a health canister). An interesting mix of ideas that works. You are still able to take risks without ruining your chances later on, but must take greater care overall.

The larger weapon loadout isn't an issue, however, as they are all so very unique. I still prefer the Halo two weapon design overall, but in this case, their descision works very well.

On top of the core design, there is the fact that the areas you work through are just so incredibly cool and varied. The pacing is excellent and you never feel as if they are forcing you into one type of gameplay/area for too long.

I could go into more detail, but that would make for a crazy long post and I haven't actually fully explored everything you can do just yet. Suffice to say, this is a perfect blend of Halo with something like Half-Life 2. It's a perfect bridge between Halo and the PC FPS.

I still prefer Halo's gameplay overall, but this is about as close as anyone has gotten. For those who were bothered by the repetitive nature of Halo's levels, you'll also be pleased to know that nothing of that sort occurs here (of course, that never really bothered me outside of High Charity in Halo 2). The AI is solid in Resistance, but not quite as impressive as Halo's. It's a huge step up from just about any other recent FPS I've played, though.

Kittonwy

Banned
evilchicken said:

Wow, you must be good then.

I eagerly await reading about how you can run and gun a stalker or a bunch of advanced hybrids.

Tieno

dark10x said:
Without spoiling anything, the game essentially provides a large number of unique enemies with specific attacks that you come to recognize. As you encounter them, you will also begin to learn how best to deal with them (though there are always different options at your disposal). Like Halo, each enemy has an optimal method of takedown that, while not necessarily difficult to figure out, requires skill to pull off when it matters. You then mix in the variations in level design with the types of weapons you are using and you ammo count, and formulate a strategy.

Early on, you encounter low enemy numbers while using a limited arsenal. At this stage, the game is quite run and gun with a focus on simply moving forward taking out a few enemies here and there. Looking back, this is actually perfectly fine the face of everything else offered, but it wouldn't have worked for an entire game.

Using an approach similar to that of Bungie, the game throws you into various mini-scenarios making up larger levels.

Consider how a few of these enemies work;

You have a basic hybrid which uses a repeater like weapon that will tear you up pretty quickly, but it is easy enough to avoid and you can take cover to avoid it completely (of course, the AI becomes very aggressive and will flank you, use grenades, and generally flush you out).

There is another enemy using the Auger, which can fire through walls (a cool watery effect where the shot is penetrating will appear). Their shots are slower, but can follow you through anything.

Next, you have the enemies which can slowly make their way to you (zombie like) and grab you (shake them off with the sixaxis). These fellas work more like traps than anything else, as they are easy to dispose of, but when mixed with the others, they can become a danger.

You also have flood like creatures, large beasts with very powerful shots, the stalkers, and many more. The variation in their offense and defense allows for many excellent combat situations. The areas in which you encounter them also have a significant impact on how you must deal with them. There is a lot of multitasking present (you have to keep track of the battlefield as a whole and determine which targets need to go down first).

There are plenty of shared mechanics with Halo that allow for all of this to work out well. The melee attack is balanced well and is very strong (just as it was in Halo), but isn't suitable for every situation (also as it was in Halo). Grenades are instant and effective (the air fuel is my favorite, as it sticks to anything, let's out a gas cloud that fills an area, and then ignites). The health system is setup in an interesting fashion, with your recharging function limited to one piece at a time. If one of the four pieces if depleted, it will not recharge by itself (requires a health canister). An interesting mix of ideas that works. You are still able to take risks without ruining your chances later on, but must take greater care overall.

The larger weapon loadout isn't an issue, however, as they are all so very unique. I still prefer the Halo two weapon design overall, but in this case, their descision works very well.

On top of the core design, there is the fact that the areas you work through are just so incredibly cool and varied. The pacing is excellent and you never feel as if they are forcing you into one type of gameplay/area for too long.

I could go into more detail, but that would make for a crazy long post and I haven't actually fully explored everything you can do just yet. Suffice to say, this is a perfect blend of Halo with something like Half-Life 2. It's a perfect bridge between Halo and the PC FPS.

I still prefer Halo's gameplay overall, but this is about as close as anyone has gotten. For those who were bothered by the repetitive nature of Halo's levels, you'll also be pleased to know that nothing of that sort occurs here (of course, that never really bothered me outside of High Charity in Halo 2). The AI is solid in Resistance, but not quite as impressive as Halo's. It's a huge step up from just about any other recent FPS I've played, though.
Thanks for the effort man! Like that! I absolutely love Halo. Why do people compare it to Half-Life 2 though? Is it because of the visual style? Because the most appealing thing in HL2 for me wasn't really the actual combat, but the puzzles, immersion, mood and story development.

How is the feeling of playing as Nathan? Is it more like COD? or like saving the world and everybody looks up at you?

dark10x

Why do people compare it to Half-Life 2 though? Is it because of the visual style?
Various reasons. The style plays a role, but also the speed of the game. There are also some neat touches that remind me of something Valve might have done.

The mines you encounter in the game, for example. There are several types and they require you to handle them differently (though you can shoot them, there are often too many to take out). The shockwave mines were especially nifty. They rise up and will send out a shockwave attack either in the air or along the ground. You have a second to react by either ducking or jumping. Very simple, but a nice touch.

How is the feeling of playing as Nathan? Is it more like COD? or like saving the world and everybody looks up at you?
Kinda both. They start you off as a standard trooper, but as the game progresses, your reputation increases greatly and people start to recognize you for what you are capable of.

He's not a bad character to play as, but it wasn't as appealing as the old Chief. He has dialog in the game, but it is fairly limited and he ends up feeling more like a Gordon Freeman-ish persona with more screen presence than the next Master Chief.

Flo_Evans said:
I got a headset and its usually just me and one other dude in a room of 20 chatting...

I have a headset too. But I don't like putting it on for Deathmatches or Conversion. People keep pressing L3 (or whatever they set talk to) and breathing into the mic during games or they don't say anything at all the whole time, releasing static for most of the game. I even tell them to stop holding the talk button, but they seem to not be wearing their headset or they just ignore it.

When they make (ranked) Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag shorter and more people play them, headsets will become invaluable. But as of now, there aren't enough people playing those modes, so a headset is just for chatting and bitching.

Flo_Evans said:

Yeah, I agree with ya. I can never tell when I'm talking or if I'm being heard, lol. And they need to limit the amount of people speaking at the same time or something. When 3 or more people talk at the same time (or holding the talk button without speaking), it gets annoying. They'll probably patch all these things in the future.

evilchicken said:

Even 2 hours in, you can't "run and gun." Unless you're playing it on Easy, you'll get your ass handed to you if you treat the single player mode like it's online Deathmatches. Your statement here is pure BS and most of the people who's played Resistance would agree.

Flo_Evans

Crackerman16 said:
I have a headset too. But I don't like putting it on for Deathmatches or Conversion. People keep pressing L3 (or whatever they set talk to) and breathing into the mic during games or they don't say anything at all the whole time, releasing static for most of the game. I even tell them to stop holding the talk button, but they seem to not be wearing their headset or they just ignore it.

When they make (ranked) Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag shorter and more people play them, headsets will become invaluable. But as of now, there aren't enough people playing those modes, so a headset is just for chatting and bitching.

Yeah, I agree with ya. I can never tell when I'm talking or if I'm being heard, lol. And they need to limit the amount of people speaking at the same time or something. When 3 or more people talk at the same time (or holding the talk button without speaking), it gets annoying. They'll probably patch all these things in the future.

well I discovered you only have to hold L3 when in the lobby to chat. The people that are constantly on just need to turn down their mic sensitivity.

Flo_Evans said:
well I discovered you only have to hold L3 when in the lobby to chat. The people that are constantly on just need to turn down their mic sensitivity.

Holy crap. Are you serious? I thought you had to press L3 during a game too in order to talk/be heard. You SURE you don't have to press L3 to be heard during games? >.>

J-Rzez

dark10x said:

The thing that really becomes interesting is when there's chimera of different classes, with their unique weapons, mixed together and attacking you... that's when things get crazy... The one's with the auger flush you out with their fire, then the one's with the bullseye's lay down the in the open fire to get you... Or if they rush you in a group and you wipeout the higher classed one's, it seems the others will scatter, straff and shoot at you so they can get to cover... It's neat!

The mine's were a cool touch...

And there's a nice variation of enemies... Different Chimera's, the Slaves, the dogs, the grey jacks, the wall crawlers, the big guys with big guns, and those four-armed flying things, along with the flood type crawler things...

To me though, the gameplay is as polished and refined as Halo's, plus the building up and pacing is great... the mood set is great as well, expecting huge shootouts around every corner... and the fun and quality of MP is what pushes it slightly beyond what Halo did for me... Halo 3 has to strive to beat this game in fun and quality, nothing else... if it does, which I'd guess it will, it'll be a spectacular game...

Flo_Evans

Crackerman16 said:
Holy crap. Are you serious? I thought you had to press L3 during a game too in order to talk/be heard. You SURE you don't have to press L3 to be heard during games? >.>

maybe when you are still alive? when I died in a conversion match me and some other guy could chat freely without pressing anything. There is some wierd thing with your party and your team chat, but I have been playing mostly deathmatches. Maybe that dude that made the game can explain how it is supposed to work? :)

Top Bottom