• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

For those who have finished the game, check out the menu where you can play cinematics, and play the last one. I don't recall that scene playing quite that way!

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm getting my ass kicked right about now.

I thought the Stalker + Titan was a bitch encounter, and now the damned game is throwing two Stalkers, a swarm of hybrids and a bloody Widowmaker at me.

Yikes.

I'm going back and reading spoilered posts....

That was my favorite fight of the game, and easily the hardest. SOmetime R:FOM seemed a little too easy, but certainly not in this fight.

The first time I beat it (after many, MANY tries) I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go, so I tried jumping onto the frozen river. Nope! Had to play it again. Took a few more tries, but now I am an expert at that level!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Xmonkey, I'll send you a clan invite this evening, after work.

bigfatgameguy said:
Looks like only White Man can add people for the clan. Does anyone know where he is?
No idea, I started a backup clan as a result. I promise I won't disappear (without warning)

BuddyC

Ignatz Mouse said:
For those who have finished the game, check out the menu where you can play cinematics, and play the last one. I don't recall that scene playing quite that way!
:lol

Nice catch.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
hey, come on, I mentioned that waaay earlier in the thread.

And since it was overlooked then as well, did anyone see the sequence *after* the credits roll?

Hale's alive! But...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kaching said:

And since it was overlooked then as well, did anyone see the sequence *after* the credits roll?

Hale's alive! But...

yeah, whats with that? The whole 'others' thing (cloven) wasn't really explored properly. Just a setup for the next game?

Having just finished the game Im' not sure what to think. Those earlier levels were pretty much just COD2. Very linear, very plain. But as it went on the levels got more and more elaborate, open, etc. And the architecture inside the alien towers etc is just beautiful.

Its almost like they knocked out the first levels when they weren't sure how much the PS3 could handle, then towards the end just started taking the piss adding loads and loads of detail and shaders etc.

BTW, how do you get to play through again with your previous weapons? I read you could do that in the 'censored Japanese version' thread. But when I restart a campaign I just have the normal weapons (albeit plus some new ones). Is that only if you play standalone locations?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mrklaw said:
BTW, how do you get to play through again with your previous weapons? I read you could do that in the 'censored Japanese version' thread. But when I restart a campaign I just have the normal weapons (albeit plus some new ones). Is that only if you play standalone locations?

No. You cannot replay the game with all your previous weapons available from the beginning. You just find extra weapons during your second playthrough (of the whole game or single locations).

Obviously, when you play standalone location you get the weapons relative to that location. The closest to the ending the location is, the more weapons you start with in that location.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mrklaw said:
yeah, whats with that? The whole 'others' thing (cloven) wasn't really explored properly. Just a setup for the next game?
There's a couple of groups that are clearly kept in the shadows for this game. Besides the Cloven, there's the special masked US forces you find dead on the battlefield who are probably the equivalent of MIB.

Having just finished the game Im' not sure what to think. Those earlier levels were pretty much just COD2. Very linear, very plain. But as it went on the levels got more and more elaborate, open, etc. And the architecture inside the alien towers etc is just beautiful.

Its almost like they knocked out the first levels when they weren't sure how much the PS3 could handle, then towards the end just started taking the piss adding loads and loads of detail and shaders etc.
I think there's two things at work here. One is just what you said here - they're the earliest designed levels and I'm pretty sure Insomniac has said as much in interviews. But the other thing is that I think Insomniac tends to try to ease people into their games more than some developers. They try to design with as a wide an audience in mind as possible, with obvious compromises from the perspective of a hardcore gamer as a result.

kaching said:

Hale's alive! But...

That's what I was going back to replay when I saw that other scene.

have Insomniac said anything about future downloads- i.e. new multiplayer maps, weapons, etc. ?
It would be cool to play as those crawling chimera.

oh- add me to the clan: IrishFigg :D

Oneself

mackaveli said:
does the socom mic work? i might have to get that from my parents this weekend cause damn is it pretty boring with no one talking.

Yes it does.. but there are strange sound problems (reminding me of Socom), sometimes the mics are cut off and it's dead silent (and no it's not the mute button on the headset or the mute in the game or anything, it's "server" related).

The attention to detail, and then especially in regards to the weapons, is really quite impressive. The Hailstorm is my favorite gun in the game, and even more so now after I checked out the secondary function up close. As everyone knows, the secondary function ejects the remainder of your clip and turns it into a hovering auto-targeting turret. Very handy for those panicky moments when you find yourself overwhelmed in battle and need to create some spontaneous and reliable back-up fire (I'd say that the auto-targeting functions of weapons like the Hailstorm and the tertiary function of the LAARK end up being more reliable allies in battle than your A.I. buddies). And if you take a closer look at the hovering turret, you can spot the mechanical function of it. A small metallic cylinder with rotating sprockets from which the slugs emanate. When the ammo is exhausted, the sprockets fold into the cylinder, the cylinder drops to the ground and rolls a bit before disappearing. This sounds like a minor detail, and technically it is, but this type of attention to detail is something I've come to really appreciate. It makes the illusion harder to crack, if that makes sense.

Oneself

AltogetherAndrews:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Awesome detail. This game is so polished for a launch title it's insane.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Note to self - Clan invites to send tonight:

snak
LevelNth
gamerecks
drohne
IrishFigg
skrew
SEMBE
Flo_Evans
jstevenson
belfastga

Flo_Evans

looks like its going from a mutiny to full scale rebelion! add me as well kaching - Flo_Evans

Ignatz Mouse said:
What's the secondary function of the LAARK? I completely overlooked that. Is it the remote-control? I never figured out how to work that.

its an air brake, basicaly you fire the LARK, then hold L1 to pause the missle mid-air. then you position the reticle over the target and release! I pretty much fire the LARK upwards now then aim it back down - you can take out enemies hiding behind stuff like this :)

Ignatz Mouse said:
What's the secondary function of the LAARK? I completely overlooked that. Is it the remote-control? I never figured out how to work that.

It stops the missle in midair allowing for reaiming. holding secondary down and tapping primary fire shoots mini rockets out, pretty handy. Its amazing how people online dont know how to effective use the weapons.

Flo_Evans

bigfatgameguy said:
It stops the missle in midair allowing for reaiming. holding secondary down and tapping primary fire shoots mini rockets out, pretty handy. Its amazing how people online dont know how to effective use the weapons.

ooo I din't know about the mini-rockets!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
kaching said:
Note to self - Clan invites to send tonight:

snak
LevelNth
gamerecks
drohne
IrishFigg
skrew
SEMBE

Re-send mine too, hopefully now that my PSN id is back in the stats database it should work.

JS

So I'm not happy with the online name I picked for myself, is there any way to change this?

jstevenson said:
We actually had a guy call us convinced the people were cheating by using the bullseye bullet swarm trap. :lol

You know, I discovered the damned trap thing by accident. I had seen it in videos, but I'd never really gotten the hang of using it myself. The fact that I can find depths to these weapons in my second run through, well that's either very impressive design on your part, or a really embarrassing lack of understanding of the design on my part.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ignatz Mouse said:
Oooh, so I could shoot a LAARK rocket,
wait for it to pass a Stalker, then have it turn around and hit it in its weak point?
Cool.

That's one of my favorite weapon strategies in the game.

JS

Odysseus said:
Is the name "Laplander?"

I really wish some developer would have the balls to implement a real enemy into a game one of these days. Enough of these crazed dictators, terrorists or aliens, let me shot some Laps.

Costumes_Saami.jpg

lunlunqq

i still think the chimera are over-powered. yes, the sprint ability gives humans some strategical advantage in some team-based modes. but in actual combat scenario, chimeran start with a better weapon and, in rage mode, one chimeran can kill 2 or more human soldiers

lunlunqq said:
i still think the chimera are over-powered. yes, the sprint ability gives humans some strategical advantage in some team-based modes. but in actual combat scenario, chimeran start with a better weapon and, in rage mode, one chimeran can kill 2 or more human soldiers

Well, that and the radar helps

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JB1981 said:
Add me: Beamber!
I sent you an invite last night. Have you logged on since then?

Oh, and that reminds me: Azrael, you asked me to send you invite last night but then you rejected it. What gives?

Belfast

I don't know how much I'll actually be able to play, but I do like Resistance online.

Add me to the clan if it isn't too much trouble!

PSN: belfastga

ROFL

Hail Britannia
AltogetherAndrews said:
I really wish some developer would have the balls to implement a real enemy into a game one of these days. Enough of these crazed dictators, terrorists or aliens, let me shot some Laps.

Or maybe a ferocious Windowmaker

mackaveli

so is there a way where you can just pick deathmatch rank games instead of it being random? i hate playing a couple of deathmatch games then have conversion picked.

methane47

jstevenson said:
We actually had a guy call us convinced the people were cheating by using the bullseye bullet swarm trap. :lol

That damned bullseye has a steep learning curve... I would get the trap to work sometimes and other times it would just crap out and explode... But I constantly tried... i would shoot a trap behind where an enemy is hiding then point the bullets infront and that would kill the guy.. but sometimes the thing wouldn't work... And I know it's my fault too:)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So how do you get the skeleton skin/model now? I'm guessing it comes from something in single player because I'm ranked higher than some people who have it. o_O

I swear I was freaking out the first time I saw it online....now it must be mine. ;)

Top Bottom