• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Diagol

Now that I finally have a PS3 and gotten to the later levels, I can officially say this:

Resistance is OMFG awesome and is the BEST FPS I've EVER played. Hands-down.

I love the weapons. Some of them make me laugh. :)

PNID: Diagol

I've already faced a few of you on here...though I got my ass handed to me multiple times. It was also my second day of having the game. :lol

Big-E

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I really wish I knew how EXP was calculated. I see people with stats that are literally HALF of mine, and yet are higher ranked. Part of it is that I literally have thousands of kills at this point for which I've received no exp, which doesn't help, but you can't tell me someone with 3k kills and 2k deaths in unranked matches, and no stats in ranked, is a Colonel or General. I have 7k kills and about 3.5 deaths and in a Lt. Colonel :/ I also figure what ribbons you earn have to do with it... but I've got those in leaps and bounds too, much more so then some other people I see.

I did see a Supreme Commander (2 Pips) today, which was interesting. About 6k kills and 1.5k deaths in Ranked... which is damn amazing but a bit deceptive as he had literally nearly a 1000 node and flag captures... I'm guessing he barely plays deathmatch games.

Ya, I was wondering how EXP is calculated too. I see people with negative kill ratios who have played just a bit more ranked games then me and they are in the officer ranks while im still command sergeant major. I do not think its wins either cause ive played about 25 ranked games and have won 10 of them and only 1 of those wins was in a non deathmatch game. But then again it is fun owning people of a higher rank.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I did a google search and apparently the last firmware update wiped some people's saved games, so I guess that's what happened to me. Although the save file is still there on my hard drive, I just can't load it when I fire up Resistance. Should I start over or hope that this will be fixed again?

I always read about people's saved games being wiped or lost on memory cards and I laughed, thinking "it'll never happen to me." Now my Ridge Racer 6 and Resistance progress (which was ample in both cases, let me assure you) have been lost to the ether. I am vexed.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
No, I don't have a stick or the memory card adapter. I will try that though as soon as I get one.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
God, just when I resigned myself to thinking I don't need a PS3...I hafta go and see those beautiful pics.

JB1981

I'm pretty sure no one in here plays this game, as I never see you online.

I think maybe Kaching and one other guy are the only people I've ever seen playing multi.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JB1981 said:
I'm pretty sure no one in here plays this game, as I never see you online.

I think maybe Kaching and one other guy are the only people I've ever seen playing multi.
Is that a joke? :lol
I practically play every night for atleast 2hrs minimum.

JB1981

Bad_Boy said:
Is that a joke? :lol
I practically play every night for atleast 2hrs minimum.

Maybe you're that other guy? :lol

I'm serious, though. There's maybe 3 or 4 people on my friend's list (all Gaffers) that are ever on their PS3s.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JB1981 said:
Maybe you're that other guy? :lol

I'm serious, though. There's maybe 3 or 4 people on my friend's list (all Gaffers) that are ever on their PS3s.
Yeah, I can agree with that. Gaffers rarely get on when im playing. Theres a few guys I met online who frequent. I usually catch them every other night online. No offence, but I wish more of you guys here were on more like that. :p

JB1981

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, I can agree with that. Gaffers rarely get on when im playing. Theres a few guys I met online who frequent. I usually catch them every other night online. No offence, but I wish more of you guys here were on more like that. :p

If you play tonight, let me know. I really wanna play a good game of Breach but it's rarely played!

Bad_Boy said:

I've been taking a little break after finishing it, but I am itching to play again. My evening hours are sometimes cramped (being a dad and all) but I should be on tonight. I try to play more family-friendly fare when my son is awake (RR7, Motorstorm demo, Blast Factor).

I also need to add more to my friends list. I added a ton of GAFfers right off, and then barely any. My id: IgnatzMouse.

Well, I think I may have found the problem. I play a lot of unranked deathmatch, and pretty much the only flavor these come in now days is "infinite rounds" and apparently if you quit at any point you lose all your stats, even from the completed "rounds."

The possible way around this is apparently your stats are kept if you lose your connection... so I'm just going to start unplugging the ethernet cable when I'm done playing (obviously I can't stick around infinitely).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Let's try to get an impromptu GAF matchup going tonight - is 9 or 10pm EST a good start time for most? I probably can't join until a little later than that, but I'll post a message on the clan page for whatever time seems best.

JB1981

kaching said:
Let's try to get an impromptu GAF matchup going tonight - is 9 or 10pm EST a good start time for most? I probably can't join until a little later than that, but I'll post a message on the clan page for whatever time seems best.

Sounds good to me.

patsu

Accomplished. I can rest in peace now knowing I have played one of the best FPSes around. The enviornment is butter smooth, varied and detailed too. The weapons make the experience interesting too once I got used to all of 'em. I appreciate all the hard work.

Some suggestions for Resistance II. Make noise (stealth), terrain and weather effect a more integral part of the gaming experiences for some levels (em... like have a weather gun :D). I freaked myself out a little when I banged into chairs (especially metallic ones) when exploring the levels.

My favorite scene is the one with Widowmaker and 2 Stalkers. HailStorm turret saved my *ss.

My stupidiest scene is the first time I met a Stalker. I was supposed to shoot its behind, but I got confused over which is the front. So I charged all the way right in front of it (It didn't fire at me up close, so I "confirmed" I was really shooting at its rear). Then it just stepped on me like squashing a bug.

I hate the little guys (leapers ?) most.

After a few MP games and MotorStorm demo, I started on Hard. Nice dual wielding weapon. :)

Shawn

Banned
Boy, I have my PlayStation 3 (and a brand new 32-inch HDTV), but I don't have any games for it. This sounds like the one to get (as soon as my HDMI cable arrives).

patsu

You know you haven't actually played the game until you've completed a second run through the game with the new weapons, right?

Nope ! But I'm getting there now (Just re-finished level 2) :D

Big-E

Boy, I just finished Manchester on hard. I died proabably twenty times trying to beat the second part of Manchester. Auger wielding Chimera take a lot of hits to bring down. I can just imagin how hard it will be when I have to deal with the enemies in the final levels.

jstevenson said:
I should be online tonight, got a ton of laundry to do so I'll be chained to the apartment.

js, I tried to add your psnid but you haven't got your reply yet, almost a week already.
psnid: mgs_van

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hmm... I should've made any adds last time I played which was Saturday or Sunday morning. I'll check again tonight - if I haven't added you by then re-send.

JS

mashoutposse

Ante Up
jstevenson said:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Resistance_FOM_developer_Q_A_including_who_s_the_bigger_a_hole_AUDIO

Great interview with Ryan and Mike about all things Resistance and Sony. Hilarious stuff, if I do say so myself. Starts about 15 minutes in.

JS

Congrats on completing such a fine project... I beat it last night; the game's a masterpiece.

Here's to Resistance 2 offering more of everything and then some. Even bigger battles, even better weapons, and even more epic locales. I'd love a scenario where you play a decent chunk of the game on Earth again, and just when you think it's over, you somehow follow the Chimera back to their home planet and spend another 6-8 hours of gameplay doing your thing on their turf. Then you come back to Earth for the last hour or so to finish them for good :) Now that you have the tech relatively in place, you guys should have the time to get super creative and ambitious for the sequel(s), a la Ratchet and Clank.

JB1981

mashoutposse said:
Congrats on completing such a fine project... I beat it last night; the game's a masterpiece.

Here's to Resistance 2 offering more of everything and then some. Even bigger battles, even better weapons, and even more epic locales. I'd love a scenario where you play a decent chunk of the game on Earth again, and just when you think it's over, you somehow follow the Chimera back to their home planet and spend another 6-8 hours of gameplay doing your thing on their turf. Then you come back to Earth for the last hour or so to finish them for good :) Now that you have the tech relatively in place, you guys should have the time to get super creative and ambitious for the sequel(s), a la Ratchet and Clank.

Resistance 2 needs a more memorable hero. That's the #1 thing I want from it.

Big-E

I would like R2 focusing on liberating western Europe and hopefully have R3 contain the final battle on Russian soil.

Dahbomb

Oh man imagine having a battle in New York with the Statue of Liberty... and DARE I say it the World Trade Centers which didn't fall since this is an alternate history. Too bad we'll never be that lucky... they even made Kojima remove the Manhattan scene in Sons of Liberty because of 911.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Dahbomb said:
Oh man imagine having a battle in New York with the Statue of Liberty... and DARE I say it the World Trade Centers which didn't fall since this is an alternate history. Too bad we'll never be that lucky... they even made Kojima remove the Manhattan scene in Sons of Liberty because of 911.

Make it happen, Insomniac...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
That was pretty fun gaming tonight. Several gaffers showed up. I'm done for the night, probably be playing again tomorrow. :)

edit: and oh yeah, bobthefork owned me...several times. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
was having trouble with the headset tonight. Don't think I was able to get anything through at all.

BUT I THINK I KILLED AN INSOMNIAC DEVELOPER AT LEAST 3 TIMES SO ITS OK

That breach game we played was reminding me of an MMO at points, what with the way everyone was mobbing around certain chokepoints. The guy with the skeleton skin helped that impression along ;)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
That was a crazy game of Breach... so much grenade spamming. Everyone was using air fuels and when I switched to frags I waltzed right into their base... they were all looking for fuel mist and got blown away :).

Yes, I got killed a few times, you guys are not too shabby. One of my minor issues right now is my component cable is wonky and it blacks out if the screen gets too white. Need to get an HDMI switch ASAP.

Lots of fun - my headset wasn't charged tonight, but I've remedied that for the next game (tomorrow?).

Looking forward to playing with you guys more.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah definately. Just let me know and I'll probably be there.
I missed the breach match (only played the deathmatch tonight), I'll be sure to use the headset next time we get some team gameplay going on (I never use it during FFA).

Theres definately a lot of good guys in the gaf clan I gotta say. I'd say about 90% of the time I played, atleast 3 gaffers made top 3 or top 5 at the end of the rounds. Good stuff. :)

Looking forward to some more games with you guys as well.

Wollan

jstevenson said:
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Resistance_FOM_developer_Q_A_including_who_s_the_bigger_a_hole_AUDIO

Great interview with Ryan and Mike about all things Resistance and Sony. Hilarious stuff, if I do say so myself. Starts about 15 minutes in.

JS

Listening to it now. Reached the part with the second shameless website promotion. :lol

Edit: David.J/Cliffy.B one is hilarious.

2nd Edit: Just reached the end. Heard about two of the secret weapons (I don't have a PS3) and one in particular, the
backslash grenade totally reminded me of the Halo 3 cg trailer. Obviously none could have stole this from anyone but it's cool that a game already has that neat thing. Also, the Splitter sounded really interesting and I have yet to see that.
I also haven't seen the Arch Charger actually shooting before so if anyone can hook me up with a video of that one I would appreciate it.

That was a really great interview btw. So much down to earth dialog and a lot of humor.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wollan said:
2nd Edit: Just reached the end. Heard about two of the secret weapons (I don't have a PS3) and one in particular, the
backslash grenade totally reminded me of the Halo 3 cg trailer. Obviously none could have stole this from anyone but it's cool that a game already has that neat thing. Also, the Splitter sounded really interesting and I have yet to see that.
I also haven't seen the Arch Charger actually shooting before so if anyone can hook me up with a video of that one I would appreciate it.

Yeah -
the backlash grenade absolutely rules. So cool to see the fire hit it, wrap around the shield's sphere and swing back out. Worth playing the game a second time till you get it just to play around with it. I really like the Splitter too, you can do some fun wacky stuff with it. And you didn't see them for a reason - we had to keep SOME stuff secret.

Wollan said:
That was a really great interview btw. So much down to earth dialog and a lot of humor.

That's every day around here :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey everyone, we've been hard at work here at Insomniac on improving the game, we've decided to let you in on some of the upcoming improvements! They're coming in two forms: a server-side update for ranked games, and a downloadable client-side update. Here's some of the things we'll be changing:

Server-side (ranked game) update:

* Map size determined by the number of players in the game
* All maps available for ranked games
* Score limits for team deathmatch adjusted based on the number of players in a match
* Time limits added for all game types that were missing them

Client-side (downloadable) update:

* Added a game option to allow "map voting", which will allow players in a custom game to vote on a new map from the results screen
* Expanded tactical element of squads. In objective based team games (CTF, Meltdown, Breach), players will be able to select to spawn near their squad as well as all the previously available spawn points. Additionally, squad members will be displayed different on the map/radar so that you will be able to find them easier
* We've been busy refining the balance between the Chimera and the Humans in order to make both races more fun to play, and to give players improved tactical options (you'll have to wait on the specifics)
* We've improved the spawning algorithm to prioritize spawn points that are away from enemies and near teammates and squadmates
* Wins/Losses are now displayed on the character sheet
* We have replaced the Skeleton skin with a new skin, the Mechanic. We've determined that the Skeleton is much smaller and more difficult to see on many levels than any of the other skins. The skins were never meant to give a gameplay advantage, but to offer you the chance to customize your character as you see fit, and we don't want people to be at a disadvantage because they didn't pick any one particular skin. Never fear, the skeleton may make a return at some later date, in some form or other.

Good job, js.
Can you tell Price to allow us to see the number of rooms available to ranked games instead of just taking us straight to the game. Something that's similar to the unranked games but we are not allowed to join the higher ranked games. We want to have more control.

acousticvan said:
Good job, js.
Can you tell Price to allow us to see the number of rooms available to ranked games instead of just taking us straight to the game. Something that's similar to the unranked games but we are not allowed to join the higher ranked games. We want to have more control.
Isn't that kinda the point of ranked vs. unranked?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Nice stuff jstevenson, all of it sounds great. Looking forward to the patch. :)
I agree with the skeleton skin the most, that mofo is hard to see!
IIRC there was some mention of new weapons on a podcast, not referring to the 2nd playthrough SP weapons, but would it be possible to add like another grenade and/or gun into multiplayer (if it is still balanced of course) sometime down the road?

Anyways, good game tonight with some fellow gaf clan members, I'll try setting up a Team Deathmatch or Breach server tommorrow. :D

Top Bottom