• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

theBishop said:
Does anyone else think the Auger should be more powerful?

Because th bullets have to "bore" through solid objects, and the pace of the multiplayer is so quick, the gun is pretty ineffective compared to the go-to Bullseye or Carbine. And to make matters worse, the magazine is too small to really "Spray" through a wall since the bore-delay makes accurate aiming nearly useless.

Its an awesome weapon from a creative perspective, but not very effective against the other automatic weapons.

I think the Bullseye is the best, most effective weapon in the multiplayer game.

I think the Auger is only for special-use cases. It's not a general purpose weapon. If it were better the way you describe, I think it would be too powerful. Imagine every gun in the game coming with a built-in shield, and you get the idea. Not that the shild is that good in open areas, but in narrow ones it's quite useful.

I love the Auger, and use it a fair amount, but wouldn't want to see it dominate.

I agree Bullseye is the most effective, unless unlimited ammo is on, in which case the Carbine wins thanks to 40mm grenades. And a reason why I don't like unlimited ammo games.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
For what it's worth I finally got my PS3 and have been playing through the single player campagin on Hard.

I'm loving it. Suprisingly challenging and satisfying.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
ok, my stats finally updated. I even got a message congratulating me "for my efforts against the Chimera" and I'm now a Major. After my stats caught up, I went straight to a level 3 Major. :lol

anyone playing tonight?

I will play tonight (went to bed early last night, too tired from work), I recently got promoted to PRIVATE FIRST CLASS.
gladtomeetya.gif

Don't laugh.
angry.gif

lunlunqq said:
i had a off night yesterday... after the games, my kill/death rate dropped by 0.011. :( :( :(

Last night kind of sucked to be honest. Especially the crushing defeat on Lexington right after I had bragged about my previous feats on that map. At least for the Mall match I could blame not knowing the map all that well, no such excuse for Lexington.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
I think the Auger is only for special-use cases. It's not a general purpose weapon. If it were better the way you describe, I think it would be too powerful. Imagine every gun in the game coming with a built-in shield, and you get the idea. Not that the shild is that good in open areas, but in narrow ones it's quite useful.

I love the Auger, and use it a fair amount, but wouldn't want to see it dominate.

I agree Bullseye is the most effective, unless unlimited ammo is on, in which case the Carbine wins thanks to 40mm grenades. And a reason why I don't like unlimited ammo games.

The Bullseye is great for taking out those circle-strafing freaks who have better reflex than I... unless they are also carrying the Bulls-eye.
angry.gif

theBishop

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
And a reason why I don't like unlimited ammo games.

too many of the custom games screw with the rules. and the game has obviously been carefully balanced in part through the game rules.

Remy

Ooh, a weapon tier debate!

Ignatz Mouse said:

I'm actually going to disagree: I think the Carbine edges out the Bullseye at medium to close range, even in regular ammo games. Most of the firefights I have confirm this, and here's my guess as to why: most players with the Bullseye are concentrating on tagging and then unloading. Carbine players just open fire. The half second of lag between the tag and the hail of bullets with the Bullseye allow for enough damage to do 100 damage with the Carbine.

I also think that the spray of bullets on the Bullseye is a bit too wide, so it's easier to hit headshots with the Carbine.

All that said, Shotgun > *. 50 damage per shot from not-quite-short range for the win.

(Oh, and I bumped up 9 ranks in the last stats update - Sgt Major woohoo!)

Remy said:

I'm actually going to disagree: I think the Carbine edges out the Bullseye at medium to close range, even in regular ammo games. Most of the firefights I have confirm this, and here's my guess as to why: most players with the Bullseye are concentrating on tagging and then unloading. Carbine players just open fire. The half second of lag between the tag and the hail of bullets with the Bullseye allow for enough damage to do 100 damage with the Carbine.

I also think that the spray of bullets on the Bullseye is a bit too wide, so it's easier to hit headshots with the Carbine.

All that said, Shotgun > *. 50 damage per shot from not-quite-short range for the win.

Well, that's a really good point. And I have been getting a lot better at shakingoff tags in time (pisses off my opponents no end).

JB1981

Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, that's a really good point. And I have been getting a lot better at shakingoff tags in time (pisses off my opponents no end).

I'm too lazy to go through the effort to shake off a tag. That and it just looks stupid convulsing like that when playing.

JB1981 said:
I'm too lazy to go through the effort to shake off a tag. That and it just looks stupid convulsing like that when playing.

Let go of controller with one hand
Shake

I used to shake with both hands, too-- kinda dumb looking.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Anyone who thinks the Carbine is better than the Bullseye is INSANE.

I actually prefer the straight shooting Carbine and grenade launcher. Bullseye is great when you can get a tag off, but I usually feel more comfortable with Carbine in hand. :)

I'm INSANE in the BRAAAAAIN, I guess.

Remy

By the way, I did notice one thing about the Auger the last time we played: Because of the way the bullets go through things, it seems to be more effective than Carbine/Bullseye when claiming nodes.

I'd put it slightly below the Arc Charger secondary fire for the Weapons to Have For Meltdown Tiers.

theBishop

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Anyone who thinks the Carbine is better than the Bullseye is INSANE.

If you suck at getting tags, then the Carbine is a better weapon. Its bullets seem to be more powerful, it has a bigger clip, and its WAY more accurate (without a tag of course).

Neither gun is well-suited for long range, but if you must, the Carbine is better because its spread is much tighter.

Safe Bet

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Let go of controller with one hand

Shake
Yeah but you completely lose your aim if you do that..

I'm still trying to figure out exactly 'how much' the sixaxis needs to be shaked in order to lose the tag, but I think I'm getting better at losing it while still being able to keep a decent 'bead' on my opponent.

theBishop said:
If you suck at getting tags, then the Carbine is a better weapon. Its bullets seem to be more powerful, it has a bigger clip, and its WAY more accurate (without a tag of course).

Neither gun is well-suited for long range, but if you must, the Carbine is better because its spread is much tighter.

Ugh...

Bullseye: 70 rounds

Carbine: 50 rounds

lunlunqq

I like bullseye a little better than the carbine. Arc charger is the most effective against nodes. Shotgun is also very good. Auger is good, too.

Safe Bet said:
Yeah but you completely lose your aim if you do that..

I'm still trying to figure out exactly 'how much' the sixaxis needs to be shaked in order to lose the tag, but I think I'm getting better at losing it while still being able to keep a decent 'bead' on my opponent.

I'm only try if I can break off the engagement at the same time. Tag me, and I run like a baby if I can!

I'm too lousy of an aim to win head-to-head with a tag on me. unless I have a LAARK or something. One reason I prefer he tactical games to Deathmatch.

Remy said:

Nope, you're definitely wrong on your assessment of these 2 weapons. Like I said earlier, they both require 20 bodyshots to kill someone after the patch, 15 headshots. However, the Bullseye has 2 big advantages over Carbine. Rate of fire and clip size.

Firing much, much faster than Carbine, Bullseye is harder to outrun mid-close range. So that basically defeats your argument. With 20 more bullets per clip, you have more room to mess up on aiming and still survive the firefight, compared to Carbine. Oh yeah, forgot to mention Bullseye also has 60 more bullets overall compared to Carbine.

Both weapons USED TO BE able to snipe, allowing for them to become long range weapons pre-patch (they still are in Campaign mode). However, after the patch, only Bullseye can snipe, due to the fact it takes so many shots to kill someone with Carbine now, even if you shoot them in the head. I remember Carbine only took about 3-4 headshots to kill someone pre-patch, but now it's 15. So Bullseye wins the long-range award as well if you know how to use it well.

This is the main reason why so many "vets" with good aim hated the patch so much. It completely ruined the deadliness of the Carbine and even nerfed the Bullseye. But Bullseye at least still has it's fast rate of fire and large clip size, along with the ability to snipe. Sure, you can still kill with Carbine, but it just isn't as deadly as it used to be.

Forsete

I got Resistance + Sixaxis but no PS3. :(

kauf1dw5.jpg

EU release, hurry up! Cant wait to give Resistance a go. :D

Btw, loving the Sixaxis which I tried out on the PC. The new joysticks work very well.

Dante

How do you guys meet up and play online together? I played online last night for the first time and was blown away!

JB1981

Forsete said:
I got Resistance + Sixaxis but no PS3. :(

Btw, loving the Sixaxis which I tried out on the PC. The new joysticks work very well.

SixAxis would be a lot better if the analog sticks were concave. They're too slippery for FPS.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
theBishop said:
clip size? i stand corrected...

i always feel like i can let the carbine rip longer than Bullseye...
You probably can, the bullseye fires much faster.

I prefer the bullseye over the carbine personally.

theBishop said:

Like I said twice already, they both take the same amount of hits to kill someone. I've tested this in offline MP. You can too if you don't believe me. So they both have the same "power," which is quite pathetic compared to what it used to be.

Also, like I said in my last post, you CAN use Bullseye for long range, provided you know how. There's actually 2 methods...

Forsete

JB1981 said:
SixAxis would be a lot better if the analog sticks were concave. They're too slippery for FPS.

I thought so about the DS2. My thumbs kept slipping when playing the first SSX. But as time went on I learned how to make the best of them, now they don’t slip any more.
Never thought of the Sixaxis sticks as slippery when playing with it on the PC, but yeah equal amount of grip maybe a little better compared to DS2.

Safe Bet

Banned
My stats say I'm best with the Bullseye but I have a sneaking suspiscion that's due to my love of playing Chimera more than anything else.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Do tell. PM if you must. I've been learnig alot today!

Faster way: The obvious method is to just shoot your opponent with a tag. Then make sure to shoot outwards, so they can't hide behind objects. This is best done by hitting them with a tag in the head and unloading asap, because they can shake the tag off.

Longer way: Bullseye "trap." If you don't know how to set one up, it's a bit complicated at first. You have to shoot a tag, while holding the the secondary fire button down until the laser comes out of your gun. Then primary shoot until you feel enough bullets have collected in the "trap," or until you can't shoot anymore. Then, point your crosshair/reticle at whomever you're trying to snipe/kill. Now press the secondary fire button twice (or more, depending on how far they are) to kill them in 1 shot.

Good luck. Practice a bit with this in Campaign mode or offline MP first.

Cool. The first method was obvious enough I didn't think that's what you meant. But the second is very. very cool. Never tried that.

I haven't really experimented with some of the more esoteric uses of the weapons much.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Cool. The first method was obvious enough I didn't think that's what you meant. But the second is very. very cool. Never tried that.

I haven't really experimented with some of the more esoteric uses of the weapons much.

The first method is obvious, but lots of people don't know how to do it correctly. They usually try to snipe someone by shooting directly at them, after they've got them tagged. But after people get tagged, they usually try to find cover and/or shake the tag off. So you have to shoot AROUND them, not directly at them and you have to shoot fast. Because if you wait after the tag, they'll easily shake it off, since it's long distance and it takes forever for Bullseye bullets to travel to them.

Safe Bet

Banned
Also once your bullets are hovering around your placed tag, if you hold down the secondary fire button again they will explode on command.

I haven't quite found a way to make it useful yet but I'm sure someone will.

Placing them in doorways while defending reactors perhaps....

J-Rzez

Safe Bet said:
Also once your bullets are hovering around your placed tag, if you hold down the secondary fire button again they will explode on command.

I haven't quite found a way to make it useful yet but I'm sure someone will.

Placing them in doorways while defending reactors perhaps....

Or you can tag an enemy with them after you created the swarm for an instant kill... Especially if you have a teammate running with you, tag him with them (if FF is off), run behind him into the fire fight so the swarm is up with you, then tag the first sucker you see... it funny...

And the other night I created a swarm and a newb came up on it staring at it like they didn't know what it was and it blew up in their face, lol... such simple pleasures... :)

Safe Bet

Banned
I use to hate the LAARK but last night showed me the weapon can be very cool...

I was in a TDM game and the other side was holding up together on the third floor in one of the houses.

Fired a rocket through the window, hit the air-brake, set of the LARRK's secondary fire.

It was freakin awesome.

M3Freak

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
Longer way: Bullseye "trap." If you don't know how to set one up, it's a bit complicated at first. You have to shoot a tag, while holding the the secondary fire button down until the laser comes out of your gun. Then primary shoot until you feel enough bullets have collected in the "trap," or until you can't shoot anymore. Then, point your crosshair/reticle at whomever you're trying to snipe/kill. Now press the secondary fire button twice (or more, depending on how far they are) to kill them in 1 shot.

The explanation wasn't quite clear. Are you saying:

1. Press and hold L1 to tag something (e.g. a wall).
2. When the red laser comes out, then press and hold R1 until you're out of ammo, or fire until you feel you have enough "trapped".
3. Point your gun at your target.
4. Press L1 twice or more to kill the target.

Is that right?

J-Rzez

M3Freak said:
The explanation wasn't quite clear. Are you saying:

1. Press and hold L1 to tag something (e.g. a wall).
2. When the red laser comes out, then press and hold R1 until you're out of ammo, or fire until you feel you have enough "trapped".
3. Point your gun at your target.
4. Press L1 twice or more to kill the target.

Is that right?

Hit L1 to "target" a new object or baddie with that trap, hold it down to set it off...

Safe Bet

Banned
No...

Hold down the secondary fire button when you shoot a tag.

It will activate the tag (red beam).

Fire your weapon. All your bullets will 'hover' around your activated tag.

Use the secondary fire again (set a new activated tag) to move them around.

Any microphones supported by this game? My friend and I used Xbox LIVE private chat so we could talk while we played. There's gotta be a better way...

Top Bottom